Best route to becoming a Ranger if my B.A. is not in a 'related field'

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

kbdavis87

51 months ago

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the best route for me to take to become a Park Ranger. My bachelors was in Philosophy and I don't have a strong science background. I think I would like to become a law enforcement ranger. Is grad school the best bet? Or just volunteering for a while and trying to get experience? Any suggestions please!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ed mar in Los Angeles, California

50 months ago

talk to the people in charge of hiring park rangers and ask them directly if you are ready to start a career with them or if you need extra exp. or training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

David in Williamsburg, Virginia

47 months ago

kbdavis87 said: Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the best route for me to take to become a Park Ranger. My bachelors was in Philosophy and I don't have a strong science background. I think I would like to become a law enforcement ranger. Is grad school the best bet? Or just volunteering for a while and trying to get experience? Any suggestions please!

I am a park ranger for the state of virginia and I have to tell you that getting a park ranger job is more about being in the right place at the right time. The Federal jobs are locked down in a good ole boy organization. They mostly hire their friends but it's not impossible to get one of their seasonal jobs which leads to full time(This is how almost everyone becomes a park ranger.). My suggestion is that you have to find a park job between march and june or you are screwed for the year. So try seasonal employment with the state parks or local parks in your area. Also you do have a much better chance of getting federal employment with a college degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

azezew kassa in Addis Abeba, Ethiopia

47 months ago

i am searching now job opportunities in relate my qualification,
i am BSc Degree holder in wildlife management and Eco-tourism in Hwassa University, Wondo Genet college of Forestry and natural resources, Ethiopia. and i have employed in position tour guide and tour operator and i have good records. but i could not reasonable salary in this company. so i would like to make a balance this situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.