Too old to be a Park Ranger at 37???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

lost in San Antonio, Texas

75 months ago

Is this true? Any other ways into a similar job if you are over age 37??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Eulalee in Brampton, Ontario

73 months ago

i think it is true at 37 you are too old to work as a park ranger.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Eulalee in Brampton, Ontario

73 months ago

at 37 your are too old to work as a park ranger

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

roplalsugaiv in Sacramento, California

73 months ago

Depending on the agency, 37 is not necessarily too old to become a park ranger. CA does not have an age limit, but since it is a law enforcement position you do have to meet physical requirements. In your job search you will discover that there are many different definitions of park ranger jobs. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Resa in Longmont, Colorado

71 months ago

I'm 34, and just got a job as a CO state park ranger. Don't let it discourage you!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rangergal

69 months ago

The only age limit in the Park Service is if you want to be law enforcement and that's ONLY if you want a permanent job. If you want to work seasonally, then there is no age limit as long as you can pass the physical fitness test. Being any other kind of ranger does not have an age limit. The reason they limit permanent law enforcement officers is because they have a mandatory retirement age of 57 so they want you to have your 20 years in by then. Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mark Leo

59 months ago

I am 40 but in better shape than some 20 somthings. Does this mean I am not eligible?I I have 20 years of military service will that help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

oregonsquatch69 in Buena Park, California

49 months ago

nonsense, ca. state has no age limit. and counties have no age limit either across the country. Feds age discriminate. and limit themselves seriously from a lot of greatly experienced applicants. too bad for them. forget them and keep going. i'm 41 and in the best shape of my life. The only female out of 15 applicants that passed the physical agility and interviewing tomorrow for a permanent position. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Noely70 in Barrie, Ontario

48 months ago

Hi I am 40 nearly 41. I have 20+ years law enforcement from the UK. Just emigrated to Canada looking for a slight career change in to Provincial Park Ranger service. Any advice would be greatly received.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Javier in Riverhead, New York

36 months ago

rangergal said: The only age limit in the Park Service is if you want to be law enforcement and that's ONLY if you want a permanent job. If you want to work seasonally, then there is no age limit as long as you can pass the physical fitness test. Being any other kind of ranger does not have an age limit. The reason they limit permanent law enforcement officers is because they have a mandatory retirement age of 57 so they want you to have your 20 years in by then. Hope this helps!

Do you have to take a written test like correction officer one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Iam 38 do you have to take a written test for this and is my age to much and i'am in long island.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Javier in Riverhead, New York said: Iam 38 do you have to take a written test for this and is my age to much and i'am in long island.

Iam 38 is there a written test to take for this seasonal park ranger.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Iam 38 is ther a written test for this seasonal Park ranger.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

J-W- in DC, District of Columbia

32 months ago

You can still become a park ranger. Some agencies have maximum age limits for applicants, but many do not. Part-time federal park ranger jobs that you might be able to get are often available. If you are interested in becoming a federal park ranger, consider completing the Seasonal Law Enforcement Training Program. This program allows people to be eligible to receive a Type II law enforcement commission which is required to become a ranger. The program is offered at different colleges or universities. At last check, the program was approximately 15 credit hours. Getting law enforcement officer jobs, including park ranger jobs, can be very competitive. Do whatever you can to make yourself the best candidate that you can.

Source(s):
www.peaceofficerjobs.com
www.anpr.org/academies.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.