Interested in becoming a PA? Get educated!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Pathology Assistant in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

Hello everyone,

I am a certified Pathologists' Assistant, and I thought I would help guide you in your career search. If you are interested in learning more about becoming a PA (not to be confused with Physician Assistant, it happens all the time), GET EDUCATED! Visit www.pathologistsassistants.org/ and gain a general understanding of what a PA does. If you think you are interested in the career, call your local hospital's Pathology Department, and see if they have a PA. (Not all hospitals have certified Pathology Assitants). If they do have PAs, inquire about the possiblility of shadowing them for even an hour or two. These beginning steps are necessary long before you start applying. The PA community is small, and if it looks to the recruiter like you are only here because you are settling, or do not know the first thing about being a PA, they will not hesitate to deny your application.

I would advise you to base your decision not on salary, demographics, or ease of gaining entry into a program. Read up on the career, then ask questions of the professions on forums like this one. If you are like me, and find that the career is a good fit for you, you will certainly be rewarded! I am very lucky, as I am one of the few people in this world that simply looks forward to going to work every day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

aimmelou in Greensboro, North Carolina

57 months ago

Thank you for posting this. I have a quick question for you. I am very interested in joining this field and have done a significant amount of research to determine that this is what I want to do. The problem I am having is finding someone willing to let me job shadow. I have contacted countless people in the field, even stretching my search through four states in an attempt to find a shadowing opportunity. I cannot for the life of me find anyone who will allow me to do this. I can't tell you how many emails and phone calls have been placed and I am now becoming extremely discouraged because I know this is important. I have even contacted people in the department at Duke University and Ohio State.

Do you have any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

amber2411 in Saint Louis, Missouri

56 months ago

hi, the only job that i can think that i would want to do is something that has to do with assisting medical examiners. i find it very interesting. i'm looking to go to school for assisting and i have no idea what to look for or what kind of classes or degrees i need, all of the colleges ive seen offering classes are really expensive. is there anything you can help me with?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mikey Gorilla in Mcdonough, Georgia

37 months ago

Do your own research, and study your butt off then opportunities are endless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.