How important is "shadowing" experience for admissions?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Takayoshi in Toronto, Ontario

31 months ago

Hello,

I am planning to apply to 3 universities in the States for the PA program: Rosalind Franklin, Univ. of Maryland and Indiana. I have already graduated with a B.Sc. and meet all the academic preparation and have had extensive work/volunteer work in health care and biomedical research.

However "Shadowing" in Canada is actually against insurance policies. You can't be with a doctor and patients if you aren't a medical student. I did approach multiple people in my hospital but they were very reluctant about it and more importantly they didn't seem to understand the concept of this.

I am very concerned that my application will be rejected simply because of the lack of shadowing experience. Rosalind Franklin says on their website that "successful applicants will have acquired reference letters from a pathologist or a PA".

I would greatly appreciate any advice on this.

Best,

Takayoshi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LL in Perkasie, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

First let me refer you to this old thread: www.indeed.com/forum/job/pathology-assistant/Is-shadowing-path-really-necessary/t391932

Next, I did not have an opportunity to shadow and I was still considered a highly compressive applicant at one of the schools you are applying to (and was accepted pretty much the day after my interview). On the other hand, another one of the schools you are applying at rejected me right off the bat. So it really depends on what is important to the directors of each program. I suggest you ask each one about it.

If you explain the legal situation where you live, I dont think they will count it against you.

Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

matthew_lepera@yahoo.com in Norristown, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

Hey LL,

What school are you going to attend?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Michael in Brunswick, Georgia

31 months ago

Hello over and up there. How is the weather? I have been a PA for over 25 years and to me shadowing is nothing more than seeing how a typical PA day goes.

Your line: "You can't be with a doctor and patients if you aren't a medical student" does not make much sense because either the patient will be dead, or you will only see a part (gall bladder, colon, lung, ect.)and not the whole patient like and exam room setting.

Letters of recommendation from top pathologists will really help you and I suggest that you keep trying to shadow and learn. It will all work out in the end.

Anything else?
Write back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Madi in Columbus, Ohio

30 months ago

There's a PA Program in Canada-even if you don't want to apply there, I'm sure you could contact them about shadowing experience and how to get it in your country. They'd be a lot more help than any of us Southerners could be haha.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Takayoshi in Toronto, Ontario

30 months ago

Yes, only the University of Western Ontario in Canada has an NAACLS accredited PA program and they don't require shadowing for the application. The only issue with this program is that its extremely competitive since they only accept 3-4 people per year. I will have more chance if I apply in the States as they accept more students per year.

According to their website they are judge you based on academic performance (40%), letter of intent (40%), and the rest will be based on your reference letters (20%). They don't even require the GRE which frankly I think should be an important part of the successful application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.