patient care tech and dialysis

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 524)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

mary blackmon in Chicago, Illinois

74 months ago

i work at a hospital and I 've been trained as a clinical partner who does the same work as a patient Care Tech 9drawing blood and doing EKG's) is there any places in Chicago where i could get training to work as a Dialysis technican?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (163) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

karen in Orland Park, Illinois

72 months ago

mary blackmon in Chicago, Illinois said: i work at a hospital and I 've been trained as a clinical partner who does the same work as a patient Care Tech 9drawing blood and doing EKG's) is there any places in Chicago where i could get training to work as a Dialysis technican?

Did you ever find a place to get training as a dialysis tech?
Please let me know. This is something my daughter is interested in and we are having an impossible time finding a school that does this training.
Please let me know

Karen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (70) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

keisha in Palm Bay, Florida

72 months ago

Hello; I'm a dialysis tech was trained in NY and moved to florida 5yrs ago. I understand it is very hard finding a school that teaches dialysis training. you might have to travel far but it will be well worth it. call the different colleges in your area i'm sure you'll find one. most dialysis companies do want you to have some training before hiring you; the program will probably be 3months. I wish you the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

lily in Phoenix, Arizona

72 months ago

well thank you i cant wait to start,and good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

gloriana frazier in Grand Prairie, Texas

72 months ago

ha jason think you for the information i have been a cna for 11years a pct for 1year maybe i dont have the right connection,but i need a job in the field that iwent to school for

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

feds in Waukegan, Illinois

70 months ago

mary blackmon in Chicago, Illinois said: i work at a hospital and I 've been trained as a clinical partner who does the same work as a patient Care Tech 9drawing blood and doing EKG's) is there any places in Chicago where i could get training to work as a Dialysis technican?

Yes you can by 2 companies DAVITA and FRESINIUS but when you become a dialysis tech the avg. salary max is $32,000 if you want to break that apply in a hospital based dialysis unit there are only few left that will pay you more than the avg. UIC,U of I,Loyola and VA Hines. Us here in Veterans hines start the salary now at $34,000 the highest paid technician we have here is getting more than $20 an hour of course he doesnt want to discuss but getting more than $45,000 or more and does not include every year Cost of living allowance pay increase,OT,PM differential,Weekend differential,Experience,CEU credits going to class and seminars,Evaluation work performance,Paygrade increase-we are ranked by paygrade we are all dialysis techs but different positions and ranked by grade.And now they will again increase our pay grade by one full step that is about $3-5000 increase,Washington DC is reviewing it,so in other words dont be stuck in a blood washing factory dialysis that even prohibits union,go to a hospital based if you want a good retirement benefits paying dialysis job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

feds in Waukegan, Illinois

70 months ago

karen in Orland Park, Illinois said: Did you ever find a place to get training as a dialysis tech?
Please let me know. This is something my daughter is interested in and we are having an impossible time finding a school that does this training.
Please let me know

Karen

there is only one school that trains to be a dialysis tech and that is Malcom X College but for companies they have anew rule you should have atleast a PCT or CNA certificate because before i trained ppl without that credentials.If ever you decided to go to a school after you graduate there ask for a job right away from hospital based dialysis units not Fresinius or Davita that pays really bad and they owned most of the units here in Illinois bc. in this comapnies you can be trained only for 4wks and that is it, but in school you touch all the basis about dialysis form hemo to PD to transplant.After you got your experiance in a nice hospital unit not owned by those companies ok,then go to the Acute team or join the NANI group, and some hospital dialysis unit have programs that encourage their techs to be Nurses and will fund for it, I think that is the only thing i like in Fresinius they fund and have a contract to sent you to school to becaome an RN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shayrae2 in Calumet City, Illinois

70 months ago

I have been searching high and low for a position as a pct. I heard that davita and fersenius train but they all seem to be looking for experience which isn't fair because I need training. I am in school for registered nursing and I also wasn't aware that malcolm x had that type of training. Thanks for the heads up. By the way what is the NANI group??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hanna in Phoenix, Arizona

70 months ago

I need info about getting free or paid training as a dialysis tech been doing cna work for 8 years tired of it went to school for medical assistant not worth it someone help!!!!!I wannt try being a tech.single mom of 1 boy. Phx AZ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Am in Rochester, Michigan

70 months ago

I had no experience and was trained by a new employer. Fresenius Medical Care. Excellent training/and they paid for certification as a hemodialysis PCT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jay in Derby, Kansas

69 months ago

I was thinking of applying with DaVita for pct and was wondering if anyone could tell me what that position consists of doing and if the pay is any good

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Am in Rochester, Michigan

69 months ago

jay in Derby, Kansas said: I was thinking of applying with DaVita for pct and was wondering if anyone could tell me what that position consists of doing and if the pay is any good

From what I understand Davita is very similar to Fresenius...probably 3 shifts ranging from 10hr-13hrs 3 days per week...start off in a training/education program (paid)for about a month-2 months. You'll learn the theory behind dialysis and then you'll get put with a preceptor on the clinic floor who will demonstrate and then observe you setting up machines, initiating treatments, terminating treatments, cleaning machines...Fast paced, busy, the day goes by real fast..pay might be PPT (pay-per-treatment) depending on the clinic..? You will get used to your patients and they will learn to trust you. You'll learn how to get them safely thru each treatment and keep their blood pressure stable...If you get set up with a great preceptor--that will make a HUGE difference! =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jay in Derby, Kansas

69 months ago

Thanks for letting me know about this position, I really appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stacy in New Port Richey, Florida

69 months ago

I am interested in obtaining employment in the tampa bay/St.Petersburg area as dialysis tech. I just earned my cna license, but would like to improve more. Any suggestions for school or jobs in diaylsys in my area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yogi in Lake Orion, Michigan

68 months ago

karen in Orland Park, Illinois said: Did you ever find a place to get training as a dialysis tech?
Please let me know

Karen

Try Davita Dialysis. They are the only ones that I know of that provide the training. It is a 4 month trating course that leads up to taking the certification test that is required by the state. I just finished the course in September 2008. It's not easy and requires alot of dedication. You can only apply online so go to their web site davita.com. Good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hope in Mesa, Arizona

68 months ago

Fresenius Medical Care pays to train you. Their website is FMCNA.com. Goodluck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Perkiomenville, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

Please let me know

Karen

HI KAREN...IF YOUR DAUGHTER IS INTERESTED IN BECOMING A DIALYSIS TECHNICIAN..LOOK UP FRESENIUS MEDICAL CARE..IT IS A GOOD COMPANY AND THEY HAVE A GREAT TRAINING PROGRAM...GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SEARCH!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Itanya Jewell in Detroit, Michigan

68 months ago

Sorry, but I've been unsuccessful in getting training in this position as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

feds in Chicago, Illinois

68 months ago

Like what ive said before if your from Illinois only Davita and Fresenius the only one who hire you and be trained but being a GOOD Company i doubt that,how much do they pay now $15.00 or $16.00 without experience.Karen if you have a hard time looking for a job opening ask the secretary of the unit your calling where are the locations that needed openings and start from there. I know most of the managers and DON and district heads in west suburbs and some in the South.Like i said not good to stay long but just get experience and certified and thne apply hospital base dialysis like Loyola,UIC,Univesity of Illinois they have three chonic units i dont know about Rush Presb. and Veterans Hines Hospital.I think Veterans are making a bigger unit form 13 chairs to 35 chairs and the starting there is $18.50/hr and does not include a lot of benefits.So for starters yes Davita or FMC but for the Future go for hospital base units and their Acute teams if you have more experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Can i correct myself i just called the human resource in Veterans Hines the pay scale they use is per yearly rate, in Dialysis they said the starting is $35,000/yr for a new employee without enough credentials eg.is he/she a preceptor,lead techinician,clinical coordinator or have some CEU's from NKF.And does not include also the 11 Holidays with double pay and yearly Cost of living allowance pay raise every January for all employees and additional $1.50pm and $2.50 weekend differential per/hr and performance raise.I remember 2002 working for Fresenius takehome net pay $750.00 but here without overtime 1,300.00 net pay with Insurance already and TSP/401K and union dues and that was 2002.So use these units as a stepping stone but dont get comfortable with it because i knew a lot of them working still under fresenius but started way back during the good ole days under Dialysis of America, Renal Care Group,west suburban Kidney Center and Everest Health care are crying for help to get out or fighting for a decent raise i remember one tech and nurse given a 20cent raise when we were taken over by Fresenius all extra benefits gone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kizzy Lynch in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

hi my name is kizzy i work here in philadelphia pa as a teck wish i was getting paid more but it worth it in the long run u can mack the same as the lpns if ur good in what you do its long hrs but i do it i . two diffent place in love both of the i work 13 to 16 hrs a day so if u can hang then do also in philadelphia now u have to take state test now to have the job what i thank is wrong to people like whom has been doing this for about 10 yrs someone like me should be grandfather in. If that what u want i ay go for it in if u do not have the time or well i say do not do it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Actually that test ppl is talking about we know that for about 3-4yrs ago becasue in California they have liscence to practice its just time we said to ourselves way back that it will come but the reason today its not about having a liscence its about Medicare rules because you wont get any ID or something just a certificate thats it we in the Government are not even affected or obligated to take it because we are federal and we are not affected by that Medicare rule, if it is a Liscensing Law yes everyone and everbody who works in the US should take it but its not, but anyway most of my coworkers took it anyway the BONENT and other exams because they gave us increase in pay if you have it even seminars or credit unit from online in Natioanl Kidney Foundation website they gave us increase in pay last time i think 2yrs or 3yrs ago they sent us to Disney World because that is the venue of the Kidney Conference that year others went to Washington DC for Dr.Patels conferencenad last years group in BAltimore,its cool and then a raise in pay there is no better deal than that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

steal syndrome in hinsdale, Illinois

68 months ago

hi ppl yes FEDS your right its better to apply on a Government or Hospital based dialysis way better pay because me myself and the rest i think 90% of our staff was once a product of Everest now Fresenius and Davita.Why work 12-16hrs/day if you can get it in 8hrs with great benefits and less work because in VA Hines there is only 2 shifts thats it 1/4 ratio i even experince 1/1 ratio and not much kids teens and women only old men and disciplined because of being a sodier and were been paid like me $43,000/yr as a tech and im only here for 5yrs i started at $32,575 now its much higher the starting. and they pay holiday pay even youre off that day and have 11 holidays if you work they pay you double and overtime is not included and cost of living allowance increase.but here we hate overtime no one wants to stay we want to go home and enjoy our family if single enjoy life or night out.Right now im taking my board exams for RN they paid me while im school same salary im earning,they said why be satisfied earning $36,000-$48,000/yr as a tech when you can make $75,000-$92,000/yr as a staff nurse the only difference you do is giving meds and Nursing care plans that you learn in Nursing school anyway.Well they are right because most of my nurses are former Managers and clinical coordinators of Fresenius and they said they get more money and great benefits than the old job and way less stress.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

shadale2555 in Chicago, Illinois

68 months ago

feds in Waukegan, Illinois said: there is only one school that trains to be a dialysis tech and that is Malcom X College but for companies they have anew rule you should have atleast a PCT or CNA certificate because before i trained ppl without that credentials.If ever you decided to go to a school after you graduate there ask for a job right away from hospital based dialysis units not Fresinius or Davita that pays really bad and they owned most of the units here in Illinois bc. in this comapnies you can be trained only for 4wks and that is it, but in school you touch all the basis about dialysis form hemo to PD to transplant.After you got your experiance in a nice hospital unit not owned by those companies ok,then go to the Acute team or join the NANI group, and some hospital dialysis unit have programs that encourage their techs to be Nurses and will fund for it, I think that is the only thing i like in Fresinius they fund and have a contract to sent you to school to becaome an RN.

Im currently attending Malcolm X college for the nephrology program (dialysis tech) I would like to know what are the locations I can apply at when I Finish my program? Also can you tell me what is the average pay for a dialysis tech, that is fresh out of college?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stacy in New Port Richey, Florida

68 months ago

I also live in the tampa bay area is there any dialysis schools close by?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

shadale2555 in Chicago, Illinois said: Im currently attending Malcolm X college for the nephrology program (dialysis tech) I would like to know what are the locations I can apply at when I Finish my program? Also can you tell me what is the average pay for a dialysis tech, that is fresh out of college?

Nice school my dialysis supervisor taught dialysis there way back.OK location any Hospital in the City and Suburbs have one or two dialysis units but the biggest problems is most of them are owned by Fresenius and Davita,My suggestion to you is talk to your proffesors and ask for help for job recommendations to some hospitals but only few are left ill name them University of Illinois Chicago that is near your school,Loyola University hospital in Roosevelt road and first ave.University of Illinois Hospitals or U of I,Veterans Hines Hospital on Roosevelt rd and first ave. also try Rush Presb. across your campus or Northwestern U.hospitals.For pay youll be lucky if they give you $15.00/hr in Fresenius or Davita but the places i mentioned like in the Veterans their starting now is $34,500/yr the avg.pay for techs in the U.S. is $27,000-$32,000/yr if you want agency apply the company called Medstaff.My advice is what knowledge you got in Malcolm X wont compare to those being trained in Fresenius it only 4wk course and they dont touch basis the real theoretical content of dialysis from Peritoneal to hemo to Transplant and water treatment and Micriobioligal samples,so as much as possible stay away from the we so called Blood washing factories and ask for help from your teachers there, oh try St Mary hospital and Swedish Covenant, just apply hospital based units not company based and if you have enough experience apply for Acute Team and check out the group called NANI oh RML rehab hospital i heard they have dialysis there too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

stealsyndrome in Chicago, Illinois

68 months ago

shadale2555 in Chicago, Illinois said: Im currently attending Malcolm X college for the nephrology program (dialysis tech) I would like to know what are the locations I can apply at when I Finish my program? Also can you tell me what is the average pay for a dialysis tech, that is fresh out of college?

Feds is right go for government and hospital based units way more pay and ive heard the pay ceiling in freenius now is what $17-18/hr and i bet youll be there more than what 10 or 15yrs? and meanwhile in the VA the starting is $16.72/hr. or more i think and we hired 2 ppl who graduated from Malcolmx actually but she still working at the Emergency room that is what nice here in Veterans if your bored being a dialysis tech you can apply in other department like ECG tech to Ultrasound, Emergency room, Xray,Special Procedures who puts our catheter and fistulas,EENT tech,Dental tech and Scope or GenitoUrinary tech.All of those positions they will train you becasue we have the same ranks.Dialysis Tech name here is Medical Instrument Technician or Dialysis Technologist.So if your school is done next year try to apply here because we are remodelling our unit so were going to hire a lot of ppl, form 17 chairs to 35 chairs.

68 months ago

THANKS FOR THE INFO:) IM REALLY THRILL ABOUT BECOMING A DIALYSIS TECH NEXT YEAR. BUT IM WORRIED THE PAY MIGHT SUCK. MY MOTHER IN-LAW DOES HIRING FOR FRESENIUS, AND SHE SAID THEY DIALYSIS TECH ONLY MAKE 12.00/HR. I HOPE I CAN GET A JOB AT VA HINES OR A HOSPITAL. HOW DO I APPLY AT VA HINES? AND DO THE HIRE OFTEN?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

thanks alot:) my mother-inlaw works for fresenius. she said they only start their techs off with 12.00/hr. but I apply at hospitals since you told me about blood washing factories:) thanks again

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

shadale2555 in Chicago, Illinois said: thanks alot:) my mother-inlaw works for fresenius. she said they only start their techs off with 12.00/hr. but I apply at hospitals since you told me about blood washing factories:) thanks again
your from MalcolmX you have a better chance being hired at UIC or U of I,and with a help from your teachers recommendation or try Loyola in 1st ave.there in the VA they are just starting construction i just called but to check in the internet go to VACAREERS.com or USAjobs.com.goodluck.

shadale2555 ale in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

thank u. do u kno how much the university of illinois or uic start technicians off with? I also kno at malcolm x we do our clinical at the university of chicago. im just worried I want get paid a really well.

67 months ago

shadale2555 ale in Chicago, Illinois said: thank u. do u kno how much the university of illinois or uic start technicians off with? I also kno at malcolm x we do our clinical at the university of chicago. im just worried I want get paid a really well.

Believe me any hospital based dialysis pay way better than Davita and Fresenius that $12.00/hr your mother inlaw is it, saying i left the company on 2002 and my former boss who left also for hospital based dialysis are paying us $12.50/hr and that was 8yrs ago,the only draw back i can see in UIC is after your probation for a year and your ready to be sent to acute when needed the scheduling is staggard, that is the only draw back i can see in that place.If you want experience go for Fresenius or Davita and then apply for acute dialysis if you want traveling or past bedtime hours but they pay decent.The only advantage in a hospital based acute dialysis you dont need to travel not fresenius or davita.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

stealsyndrome in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

feds in Chicago, Illinois said: Believe me any hospital based dialysis pay way better than Davita and Fresenius that $12.00/hr your mother inlaw is it, saying i left the company on 2002 and my former boss who left also for hospital based dialysis are paying us $12.50/hr and that was 8yrs ago,the only draw back i can see in UIC is after your probation for a year and your ready to be sent to acute when needed the scheduling is staggard, that is the only draw back i can see in that place.If you want experience go for Fresenius or Davita and then apply for acute dialysis if you want traveling or past bedtime hours but they pay decent.The only advantage in a hospital based acute dialysis you dont need to travel not fresenius or davita.

Yep! that is right i was paid $13.25 on 2001 but when i transfered out my starting pay was $16.50 in UIC i think their benefits are nice because they compete always against Cook County about payroll and the good thing also you have a UNION that will protect your job and EEOC that will protect your rights, not on Fresenius or Davita call your own lawyer if you want to complain about abuse of power,that is why Fresenius have a headache on 2 dialysis units that they own in NewYork in the Bronx bc they are the only UNIONIZED units but the funny part here they dont want you organizing a union but the Main Corporate office in Germany is unionized hehe!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

THANKS YOU GUYS...IM LEARNING ALOT FROM BOTH OF YOU. MALCOLM X COLLEGE GIVES A CLINICAL TRAINING AT UIC AND DAVITA. ALSO WHAT IS ACUTE DIALYSIS? SO DO YOU THINK SINCE IM GETTING CLINICAL EXPERIENCE NOW WILL A HOSPITAL BASED DIALYSIS WILL START ME OFF WITH MORE THAN 12 BUCKS? IM TRYING TO MAKE AT LEAST A GOOD SALARY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

shadale2555 in Chicago, Illinois said: THANKS YOU GUYS...IM LEARNING ALOT FROM BOTH OF YOU. MALCOLM X COLLEGE GIVES A CLINICAL TRAINING AT UIC AND DAVITA. ALSO WHAT IS ACUTE DIALYSIS? SO DO YOU THINK SINCE IM GETTING CLINICAL EXPERIENCE NOW WILL A HOSPITAL BASED DIALYSIS WILL START ME OFF WITH MORE THAN 12 BUCKS? IM TRYING TO MAKE AT LEAST A GOOD SALARY

Actually that is an insult giving you a $12/hr your not from a program that Fresenius do,like a 4wk crash course about dialysis and no hospital based dialysis pay that kind of money like i said i was paid in Fresenius Gottlieb $12.25/hr starting but that was 2002 that is why im grateful for my former boss.I think McDonalds pay better rather than $12 with great benefits hehe! JK! butyou dont know if its true.Acute Dialysis its one on one you do them in their respective ICU rooms or a small rooms for acute or in house or admitted patients only,in hospital base i dont know how they pay them but its more if their acute team is separate but if not its a basic pay then.In Fresenius or Davita i dont know if its still the same they pay you per case back then is $125/case in Tri Cities Dialysis like Rush Copley and Delnor its per hour same thing in StMary in Division and Western other hospitals idont know but mostly per hour Except Company base.Try the NANI group if they can accept you just search the internet about them in the chicagoland area group.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

feds in Waukegan, Illinois said: Yes you can by 2 companies DAVITA and FRESINIUS but when you become a dialysis tech the avg. salary max is $32,000 if you want to break that apply in a hospital based dialysis unit there are only few left that will pay you more than the avg. UIC,U of I,Loyola and VA Hines. Us here in Veterans hines start the salary now at $34,000 the highest paid technician we have here is getting more than $20 an hour of course he doesnt want to discuss but getting more than $45,000 or more and does not include every year Cost of living allowance pay increase,OT,PM differential,Weekend differential,Experience,CEU credits going to class and seminars,Evaluation work performance,Paygrade increase-we are ranked by paygrade we are all dialysis techs but different positions and ranked by grade.And now they will again increase our pay grade by one full step that is about $3-5000 increase,Washington DC is reviewing it,so in other words dont be stuck in a blood washing factory dialysis that even prohibits union,go to a hospital based if you want a good retirement benefits paying dialysis job.

hi, i was wondering what certification would i need to work as a dialysis technicians? also what are the starting pay?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

stealsyndrome in Hines, Illinois

67 months ago

shadale2555 in Chicago, Illinois said: hi, i was wondering what certification would i need to work as a dialysis technicians? also what are the starting pay?[/QU if your in MALCOLM X after you graduate they give you a certification exam and inform you if you want to take also the BONENT exam.

67 months ago

if i want to work in a hospital making a good salary would I need to have taken the BONENT exam? or is the certification good enough?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ka ka 123 in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

shadale2555 in Chicago, Illinois said: hi, i was wondering what certification would i need to work as a dialysis technicians? also what are the starting pay?

From what I know you can be a Patient Care Tech (with 160 Hrs of Phlebotomy training) a Phlebtomist (certified) a Medical Assistant,or a Nurse(RN or LPN)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Please let me know

Karen

Your daughter may consider taking a Patient Care Tech program(with 160 hrs of Phlebotomty training) become a Clinical Medical Assistant,(orm become a nurse,Lpn or RN) depending on what state u are in they have places like Fresenius that will train CNA's but they are not all that easy to get into (if you're in Chicago) but these days you must have a medical back ground. Your daughter could take a class they really want people who have had Phlebotomy training.

67 months ago

From what I under stand is that starting some time in the year of 2010 EVERYONE doing dialysis will have to be certified. If you have been doing dialysis for 20 years or more without a certificate you must be CERTIFIED.If you start out on the beginning level you must take a beginning level certification(mostly PCT's can take that level) but if you are a PCT and have been doing dialysis for longer than 4yrs or more I would think you wuold have enough experience to take the level II,or depending on how experienced you are most people doing it longer than 8 yrs (if u are not a RN) because your level of experience is what u go by) If u are just graduating from a dialysis class u cannot take the BONNET exam because you have not had any experience in the field. Thats' why some places are saying u have to be certified after 18 months because your knowledge of dialysis will mostly come from your experience working as a Tech,because you're dealing with measuerments,and all that other stuff.The RN's can take the Bonnet because their level of training is on the highest level(level 3)because they are able to give meds and everything. I believe the LPN's and Medical Assistants may train on a level 2)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shadale2555 ale in Matteson, Illinois

67 months ago

im attending malcolm x college dor the dialysis tech. my teacher told me that they give us an exam for certification and if we want we can take the bonent exam because jobs will require that starting 2010.. however I would like to know is the pay different. and also since ill be fresh out of school with barely enough experience would my salary be awful. im looking to make a little more money while im in school for nursing.

skittles in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

Shadale,

You cannot tke the bonnet until u get experience as a Dialysis Technican. I took a Dialysis training class,I am a CNA but when I looked foe jobs they wanted MA,'s,PCT's and nurses. Now in some states they will train cna's but so far I haven't been fortunate in Chicago. Now my Dialysis teacher was a 22 year veteran and she is a level 4 and she pretty knows the deal and she works for Freesenius. So trust me when I tell u this if u want more money try signing up with maybe Davita,or maybe a hospital, but be encouraged and get your experience because once u get experience you can work any where even contract if u like. Bur BONNET level would be for peoplewho have worked in dialysis for awhile. It doesn't mean you have to be certified with the bonnet u have to be certifed with one of the 3 certifications by 2010 to do dialysis period.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dontknowhatodo in Rochester, Michigan

66 months ago

First..before I go off on a rant... am I on? lol
Seeing if this even post's for me

marky in Chicago, Illinois

66 months ago

Dear Don't'

If we listen to what everyone had to say about us we would be all probably crazy. I take my hat off 2 u and give u an effort 4 trying. First of all there are many rewards for being a PCT, u learn a lot if clinical skills that some CNA's and some nurses wish they had. With your skills u can go far, u can get your certification and work in a hospital,or u can work as a Phlebotomist. You also can get trained as a Dialysis Technican and do Dialysis. At Davita and at Freesenius they would welcome u with open arms. I say you're definitely on the right track and you are doing this while u are young. Get your certification, get some training in your Phlebotomy skills and get yourself a good paying job in a hospital(because your skills can really be used there or train in Dialysis, there's a lot of money in this particular line of work, do some research on line and you can even check the salaries as well indifferent states,in places like New Jersey they pay Dialysis Techs over 50 grand a year. And later if u still want 2 go back for nursing or something u will already be well on your way, be encouraged.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dontknowhatodo in Rochester, Michigan

66 months ago

Hey Marky,
Wow, thank you. That's all i've been wanting :( is for someone out there to have some encouragment for me.You're tellin me, I have gone crazy in the past 6 days listening to my family and their friends, theyve just discouraged me so much. I was so excited pulling out of that school when i enrolled. It's just this financial aid is killing me!! I know everyone, well majority of, has a student loan under their belt, mine is just going to be a bit extreme i do believe..in the economy we have, esp here in Michigan. I had another school call me this morning, and he told me, his medical assistant program is just about the same amount as my PCT program is at the school i am HOPING to attend.. I just don't want to be ripped off for my education, i can not wait until i go in there tomorrow to talk to them, although i am hoping they call me today after talking to my stepfather. Which, because of how much he makes i am defintly not going to be getting ANY financial help...i didn't think it was going to be this difficult, it makes it harder when i listen to what everyone else has to say besides myself. Thank you so much for replying to that Marky, helped me think brighter, gave me self confidence, and encouragement . /hugs

66 months ago

One thing I also forgot to mention is this: In this economy the health care industry is pretty much booming. While lots of people are losing their jobs there are always jobs for us, Even with as a MA you can still work as a diaysis Tech (if that's what u want to do) some MA's work in Dr.'s offices or hospitals, and besides lots of people are going back to school for to train for jobs. But ask yourself one thing do u have a passion to help sick people? Do u feel u want to make a difference? or do u want to feel your passion is in something else? u do what you think is right for u, u have to find your passion, of course it maybe expensive no schools is cheap. Also go on line and see if a school is accrediated and what people are saying once they have left this particular school?
Also think of all the loans Dr.'s have to pay to pay back because they took a chance and went to school, I 've never heard a dr. complain about making a mistake (after 8 years of schooling) One thing u mentioned is this u said what does a PCT do? Don't take a class if u are not sure, but I encourage u to do research about Pct's Medical Assisting and other programs including Nursing. When I was in school for health care Mangement I thought it was what I wanted to do because all my sisters have degrees in teaching, well while taking my first 2 classes (beginners courses) I felt completely cut off from the health care field. While taking classes and learning about business and other things I knew that it was not for me because I am a people person, I knew while sitting at a desk doing administrative work I would be concerned about how patients are doing, if whether the man with the blood disease was getting better, well after 2 classes I knew what I wanted to do and even though the school didn't really support my decision to leave it saved me 30 grand. Even though some people have good jobs who work in Health care Mangement I knew it wasn't for me.Be encouraged,do RESEARCH!

Marky

saitamt38013 in Bend, Oregon

66 months ago

ive been trained to use dialisis, but as a veterinary technician. what would any one recc. for me in this area. From south oc calif. to the high desert in oregon.?

66 months ago

You must have been talking about MA no body in their right mind goes to school for 16 months for Patient Care Tech,now they do have Medical Assistant programs but they also have programs for 7-8 months you do not have to go for a year or two for that because I'm taking an online course at SJVC and theirs is almost 13 grand but I'm doing the 8 month program. It's a good program and it's accrediated ( i did my homework) but I 'm going to do dialysis because to do that u have to have medical background training even though I work as a PCT right now but I had on the job training, I got my CNA and got trained at a hospital to draw blood and do EKG's,(I didn't go for PCT) If it is a PCT program and it's for 16 months and not 16 weeks one word for you RUN!
Trust me u don't need 16 months to learn what you can do in 4 months(that's about how long it takes us in Chicago)I guess I hadn't really read what u wrote in grand detail but the MA program will put u on a different level because you will learn almost the same thing, with MA you will learn administrative work too.

66 months ago

saitamt38013 in Bend, Oregon said: ive been trained to use dialisis, but as a veterinary technician. what would any one recc. for me in this area. From south oc calif. to the high desert in oregon.?

If U were not trained to do dialysis on people I would make sure that I get trained to do so. I can't take care of a dog and then use that training for a human it's two different things. So u may want to either read some of the comments on this forum and get some ideas,and look into a program in your town that may offer this program. God bless!

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.