patient care tech and dialysis

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 524)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

dontknowhatodo in Rochester, Michigan

69 months ago

16 months for PCT it is indeed. Although, I am only going to 3 nights a week at 4 hours. The more the better! lol Yes, I do have a huge passion for it. In hs I was in a vocational program to where i would everyday, be in the hospital on the floors doing everything a MA/PCT would besides drawing blood and giving meds, of that sort 5 out of the 7 hour school days. I am more than positive that this is what i want and need not only to give myself purpose but make a difference in sick peoples lives. It's heart touching and uplifting, something to thank god you are doing. no no, my franticness about 'what even is a pct' not that i DONT know what it is, just that i wasn't understanding the 5 thousand dollar difference pct vs ma. hearing from you, other schools and my own it's nothing much different atall. Just being under the age of 24 is really putting a damper on things, financially. I know i keep bringing that up, thats what i have been discouraged about from everyone besides you, my partner, and my advisor, i can't stop thinking about it. i'm going in there tomorrow to talk with them, my goodness it cant come any quicker ! but not wanting to rush this BEAUTIFUL day! . 'you are NOT thinking straight!' my response, 'no, not thinking straight, id say.. more in a circle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

marky in Chicago, Illinois

69 months ago

dontknowhatodo in Rochester, Michigan said: 16 months for PCT it is indeed. Although, I am only going to 3 nights a week at 4 hours. The more the better! lol Yes, I do have a huge passion for it. In hs I was in a vocational program to where i would everyday, be in the hospital on the floors doing everything a MA/PCT would besides drawing blood and giving meds, of that sort 5 out of the 7 hour school days. I am more than positive that this is what i want and need not only to give myself purpose but make a difference in sick peoples lives. It's heart touching and uplifting, something to thank god you are doing. no no, my franticness about 'what even is a pct' not that i DONT know what it is, just that i wasn't understanding the 5 thousand dollar difference pct vs ma. hearing from you, other schools and my own it's nothing much different atall. Just being under the age of 24 is really putting a damper on things, financially. I know i keep bringing that up, thats what i have been discouraged about from everyone besides you, my partner, and my advisor, i can't stop thinking about it. i'm going in there tomorrow to talk with them, my goodness it cant come any quicker ! but not wanting to rush this BEAUTIFUL day! . 'you are NOT thinking straight!' my response, 'no, not thinking straight, id say.. more in a circle.

What I'm saying is this I am taking a ClinicalMedical Assistant class now that may be what you're doing and besides you are in another state so their programs may be titled differently than other states. I thought the program is just strictly for MA
or for PCT by itself. Now in Chicago we have seperate PCT programs and seperate Medical Assistant programs but for us a Medical Assistant program that offers EKG and Phlebotomy we consider that a Clinical Med Assistant,and u get to sit for the certification and we also have programs where you can do 3 month programs or 6 week programs online for med Assistant that deals with adminisration.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dionne in Saint Petersburg, Florida

69 months ago

Thank you for posing this question on the forum!

Currently, I'm in school for phlebotomy. I'm graduating soon. This is another job opportunity prospect, hopefully. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

dontknowhatodo in Rochester, Michigan said: Hey Marky,
Wow, thank you. That's all i've been wanting :( is for someone out there to have some encouragment for me.You're tellin me, I have gone crazy in the past 6 days listening to my family and their friends, theyve just discouraged me so much. I was so excited pulling out of that school when i enrolled. It's just this financial aid is killing me!! I know everyone, well majority of, has a student loan under their belt, mine is just going to be a bit extreme i do believe..in the economy we have, esp here in Michigan. I had another school call me this morning, and he told me, his medical assistant program is just about the same amount as my PCT program is at the school i am HOPING to attend.. I just don't want to be ripped off for my education, i can not wait until i go in there tomorrow to talk to them, although i am hoping they call me today after talking to my stepfather. Which, because of how much he makes i am defintly not going to be getting ANY financial help...i didn't think it was going to be this difficult, it makes it harder when i listen to what everyone else has to say besides myself. Thank you so much for replying to that Marky, helped me think brighter, gave me self confidence, and encouragement . /hugs

Dear Don't

Just following up with u I hope u are doing okay with your classes, I guess I got things a little mixed up and I apologize,but please be encouraged because I've been where u are and I know where u are coming from. If u have any questions or just want someone to talk to u can email me at kay.mary16@yahoo.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

feds in Hines, Illinois

69 months ago

Shadale, i saw some comments that telling you you cant take BONNENT without any experience you that is not true and you know it! your from MALCOLM X because like what ive said right now we have three dialysis tech graduates of 2008 that are BONNENT certified and never even have 1hr experience dialysis work hours after graduation even now they are still waiting to be called in our unit because we are expanding right now. For now they are scattered in the hospital the other one right now is on Emergency room as a PCT.And by the way SHADALE like ive said and stealsyndrome dont compare yourself and your training and schooling from techs that was trained in DAVITA and FRESENIUS,they dont even trained how to read EKG reading and about Peritoneal dialysis and Kidney Transplant even a small touch basis about Plasma Phoresis only how to stick some water checks and water systems and hemodialysis anatomy of the kidney and thats it for 4wk course.Who is the teacher still in FRESENIUS Shery,head of biomed brian or randy or upper management Coleen or Gay Deguzman? here in chicago.About salary like what ive said over an over only hospital based dialysis will pay you good money im talking about chronic setting i mentioned most all the hospitals on my past posting that do it,who in their right mind in Fresenius and Davita will pay me right now as a tech for $20.58/hr and im only here 6yrs i started for $16.25/hr not included double pay during holidays and OT.For saitamt38013 i know your job we have that kind of dept.we called them the Frankenstein group hehe!that is dialysis research group under our well renouned dialysis doctor in the world and scholar Dr.Ing check under USA JOBS or in the web if they hire dialysis research technicians, i remember those days when we can still go inside dialyzing goats cats and etc.how do you think its ok to use in humans if they didnt test the animals first right but its a delicate job because of animal rights group so its a hush hush dept.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

stealsyndrome in Hines, Illinois

69 months ago

Haha! i remember that dept.in building 1 yep i feel sorry for those test animals but you need to, to further the dialysis research.And Dr. Ing i miss him for those in chicagoland he always give seminars in downtown chicago every year with guest speakers around the world the good thing in him he really likes technicians than nurse because he believes the real backbone of a dialysis unit is the techs.About the BONNENT we just have a meeting today about that,and still the same answer all FEDERAL employees are not obligated to take it because its not a FEDERAL or STATE LAW its sanctioned by MEDICARE so only private sectors need to comply not the FEDERAL.Because our arguments is If we take it is there an increase of ranks and Step grade pay, if not why take it its only good as paper for display, the good thing about it is if your going to transfer outside in the private sector. But who will do that as a tech in federal? are you nuts your going to lose $15,000 a yrs pay income avg. and lots of benefits if you do that even your the lowest rank that is how much your going to lose in avg income going to FRESENIUS except if your'e fired but hey what is the union for that is the get out of jail/fired pass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Oh! by the way for MALCOLM X students goodluck on your class and your BONNENT EXAMS take it right now after graduation if your from MALCOLM X yes you can take it after graduation and important thing also if you are planning to apply in UIC or university of Illinois Chicago the only draw back i hear is the on-call scheduling its really whacked out idk who is the manager now there but i know one of the Charge Nurse there and that is the only draw back but hey if you can manage try it.Idk right now in LOYOLA and RUSH PRES if they are hiring now, University of Chicago in lake shore might because they have three units i think to know more units in the area that is not owned by Fresenius and Davita ask the Biomed guys in UIC Dan or Keith they are from Gambro they fix machines also in other hospitals that is privately own and hospital based units, you can start from there.In the VA Hines i think next year or so but they usually post in the web in VACAREERS or USAjobs for ppl from other states that wants to work for the Federal Govt. go to USAjobs,the good thing working in the govt if your tired of dialysis you can transfer to different dept.form homeland securities to Postal to airport under immigration officers or got back to school study under the Treasury dept in Secret Service or CIA or any govt branch because you are already in the system,transfer from one state to another aslo is fine and not lose nothing and paid for transfers and go to dialysis to EENT clinic to Surgival tech to dental to Scope in the GAstro intestinal Tech. even special procedures tech.there is a lot of openings and possibilities in the Federal not because your dialysis you will be stuck there forever.Not PCT or MA because dialysis is higher ranking and grade than them and we are in a specialized field and we do it differently from the private sector but if you want to be a nurse they can pay you better from $55,000-$120,000/yr it depends what nurse grade are you.for us techs from $35,000-$53,000

shadale2555 in Chicago, Illinois

69 months ago

HEY,
THANKS stealsyndrome in Hines, Illinois AND feds in Hines, Illinois. YOU GUYS ARE REALLY GOOD HELP. DID ANYONE OF YOU GET YOUR TRAINING FROM MALCOLM X COLLEGE? I START CLASS IN THE SUMMER. IT'S A TWO SEMESTER PROGRAM. AND IF I WANT I CAN GET MY ASSOCIATES IN APPLIED SCIENCE AS A NEPHROLOGHY. i DECIDED TO DO THE 2 SEMESTER PROGRAM BECAUSE I'M GOING TO SCHOOL FOR A RN ALSO. I JUST WANTED TO START WORKING IN THE MEDICAL FIELD FIRST. I HOPE IT ISN'T HARD FINDING A JOB! IM SO EXCITED, THANKS AGAIN YOU GUYS:)

69 months ago

I was told from my teacher that u can only take the bonnet if u have no experience working as a dialysis tech but this was a dialysis training program that was 9 months,not a dialysis class that took 2 years. So You guys learned much more than we did so I guess we were the ones misinformed. So forgive me and thanks for clearing this up and God bless!

feds in Hines, Illinois

69 months ago

shadale, No but before MalcolmX students have their internship here but not anymore but our Lead Technician was once a teacher there in Malcolm X even his Former Professors that are doctors came there but now some of them worked as State Inspectors and JCAHO inspectors for dialysis units.I think only 3 came from MalcolmX 2 came from Medstaff 2 from Davita 3 from Everest 3 from Fresenius 1 from St.Mary and 2 from Illinois Masonic.And if i were you concentrate on your RN me i need only is my board exams to be one and about finding a job dont worry its always on demand esp RN nowadays its not only in hospitals now you can be a computer programmer as an RN or IT we hae a lot of those here in Hines or a paralegal nurse that pays $120/hr or work for the state or company nurse or school or home health or now the CIA and Homeland securities looking for nurses.For Marky about BONNENT your teacher told you right but shadale is from a School type setting its included in the curiculum for others trained by companies yes you need some experience bc first you need your Managers signature as a proof that your working in a dialysis and how many hours you work per payperiod.

69 months ago

About the BONNENT thing again Fresenius encourage their ppl not to take it but take the other company that do certification also because of the fee! BONNENT is a lot more expensive compare to others and also the reason why they dont recomment it because BONNENT exams include "REUSE" questions, last time i did reuse is 1999 so techs there who are not familiar to reuse well idk what to say, besides Fresenius dont do that anymore and the other company they recommend gives exams for RN's who wants to be CDN and CNN so its better for their employees thats what i learned.Atleast in California all techs are liscenced so they dont need all of this certificatons or exams.

Frank in Utica, Michigan

68 months ago

marky in Chicago, Illinois said: I was told from my teacher that u can only take the bonnet if u have no experience working as a dialysis tech but this was a dialysis training program that was 9 months,not a dialysis class that took 2 years. So You guys learned much more than we did so I guess we were the ones misinformed. So forgive me and thanks for clearing this up and God bless!

First time here, don't know if i'm doing this correctly, at any rate i'm a recent MA grad looking for my first actual employment want to become a dialysis tech unable to located any teaching facilities in SE MI, have visited in person both DaVita (2 locations) and Fresenius as an offer to volunteer (in order to get some experience) have not heard back from either, but perhaps I should change my approach and indicate that this is what I want to do and try again-- any and all suggestions welcome.

68 months ago

Frank what you probably need to do is first go online and get a listing of all the dialysis clinics in your area or how ever far you are willing to travel (any where in Michigan) and see if they are hiring. And by the way I saw online they have dialysis seminars in the Michigan area. Try googling these words: Train dialysis SE, MI and you will find it. Also if you can try some of the hospitals in Michigan as well, because they will train people in hospitals too. Everyone is always talking about Davita and Fresenius,there is a dialysis company called DSI too. There are many other Dialysis companies they are just the ones that really stand out, But check into that siminar thing I think they offer training, I hope this was helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

marky in Chicago, Illinois said: Frank what you probably need to do is first go online and get a listing of all the dialysis clinics in your area or how ever far you are willing to travel (any where in Michigan) and see if they are hiring. And by the way I saw online they have dialysis seminars in the Michigan area. Try googling these words: Train dialysis SE, MI and you will find it. Also if you can try some of the hospitals in Michigan as well, because they will train people in hospitals too. Everyone is always talking about Davita and Fresenius,there is a dialysis company called DSI too. There are many other Dialysis companies they are just the ones that really stand out, But check into that siminar thing I think they offer training, I hope this was helpful.

Also Frank at yhe hospital where I work most of the dialysis techs are MA and they told me that they didn't give up,they were persitant going into those clinics and asking to see the manager or the human resource person,be careful asking staff becuse somtimes they may not be truthful (trust me it's happened at some places. get the facts from HR or the supervisors in charge. God bless you.

Lynda in Boise, Idaho

68 months ago

mary blackmon in Chicago, Illinois said: i work at a hospital and I 've been trained as a clinical partner who does the same work as a patient Care Tech 9drawing blood and doing EKG's) is there any places in Chicago where i could get training to work as a Dialysis technican?

I've been a dialysis technician for over 11 years. If you have a cna and have been in health care most dialysis centers will hire you and give you on the job training. They let you go off the floor to study the dialysis core cirriculum book and study tests at the end of each module. After you are on the floor approx. 30 days or less they will then teach you how to place needles. Just go to a dialysis center in your area and ask if they do on the job training. Davita and Liberty are good ones to start with. Good luck.

68 months ago

Lynda in Boise, Idaho said: I've been a dialysis technician for over 11 years. If you have a cna and have been in health care most dialysis centers will hire you and give you on the job training. They let you go off the floor to study the dialysis core cirriculum book and study tests at the end of each module. After you are on the floor approx. 30 days or less they will then teach you how to place needles. Just go to a dialysis center in your area and ask if they do on the job training. Davita and Liberty are good ones to start with. Good luck.

It's not as easy as you think here in Chicago. I have signed up numerous times with Davita and with Freseniusand they will not hire me. I apply for out of town positions and they still won't at Davita, and I even took a Dialysis training course for nine weeks. I think may be because I am not certified in Phlebotomy may be my problem. I just said forget it and I'm signing up for LPN online in Minn. I know they will hire me in some other states but not so fast in Chicago,thanks though.

kelly davis kdwlv@yahoo.com in Commerce Township, Michigan

68 months ago

mary in Chicago, Illinois said: I understand that there are some places that do train CNA's to be dialysis Technicans, I plan to go to school for a Medical Assistant and then get trained as a dialysis Tech. But there are some dialysis centers that will excpt PCT's and train them to be DT's but you must be certified as a PCT with a 180hrs in phlebotomy) Places like Davita (check the website I think its davita.com) or Frensus at fmcna.com) and you can apply on line with your resume. I think its better if you have some type of certification behind you like PCT, Clinical Medical Assistant or LPN. I understand that once you get the training and experience you can work at a hospital, clinic or agency.

Mary i am going to school for pct and it is costing me 16,000 for 16months 3 nights a week I have been looking to see if I am making the right choice I will only have a certifi so was asking do i NEED more training or is this ok for getting in the business. I have been doing home health care for about 7 yrs with out school thanks you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kelly davis kdwlv@yahoo.com in Commerce Township, Michigan

68 months ago

dontknowhatodo in Rochester, Michigan said: Hey Marky,
Wow, thank you. That's all i've been wanting :( is for someone out there to have some encouragment for me.You're tellin me, I have gone crazy in the past 6 days listening to my family and their friends, theyve just discouraged me so much. I was so excited pulling out of that school when i enrolled. It's just this financial aid is killing me!! I know everyone, well majority of, has a student loan under their belt, mine is just going to be a bit extreme i do believe..in the economy we have, esp here in Michigan. I had another school call me this morning, and he told me, his medical assistant program is just about the same amount as my PCT program is at the school i am HOPING to attend.. I just don't want to be ripped off for my education, i can not wait until i go in there tomorrow to talk to them, although i am hoping they call me today after talking to my stepfather. Which, because of how much he makes i am defintly not going to be getting ANY financial help...i didn't think it was going to be this difficult, it makes it harder when i listen to what everyone else has to say besides myself. Thank you so much for replying to that Marky, helped me think brighter, gave me self confidence, and encouragement . /hugs

I am having the same problem with aid I am going for PCT and going to dorsey school I am paying 16,000 or about that little more. What school are you looking at please let me know if I am over paying for my certifacate in the field
thanks looking forward to hearing from you Kelly Davis Michigan

NUNU2MICKEY in Taylor, Michigan

68 months ago

marky in Chicago, Illinois said: You must have been talking about MA no body in their right mind goes to school for 16 months for Patient Care Tech,now they do have Medical Assistant programs but they also have programs for 7-8 months you do not have to go for a year or two for that because I'm taking an online course at SJVC and theirs is almost 13 grand but I'm doing the 8 month program. It's a good program and it's accrediated ( i did my homework) but I 'm going to do dialysis because to do that u have to have medical background training even though I work as a PCT right now but I had on the job training, I got my CNA and got trained at a hospital to draw blood and do EKG's,(I didn't go for PCT) If it is a PCT program and it's for 16 months and not 16 weeks one word for you RUN!
Trust me u don't need 16 months to learn what you can do in 4 months(that's about how long it takes us in Chicago)I guess I hadn't really read what u wrote in grand detail but the MA program will put u on a different level because you will learn almost the same thing, with MA you will learn administrative work too.

HI I LIVE IN MICHIGAN AND I JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHERE CAN YOU LOOK TO SEE IF A SCHOOL IS ACCREDIATED EVEN IF THEY SAY THAT THEY ARE.

NUNU2MICKEY in Taylor, Michigan

68 months ago

kelly davis kdwlv@yahoo.com in Commerce Township, Michigan said: I am having the same problem with aid I am going for PCT and going to dorsey school I am paying 16,000 or about that little more. What school are you looking at please let me know if I am over paying for my certifacate in the field
thanks looking forward to hearing from you Kelly Davis Michigan

WOW U GO TO DORSEY AND THE CLASS IS THAT MUCH? WHAT DORSEY SCHOOL ARE U GOING TO? I REALLY THINK THAT THESE SCHOOLS KNOW THAT IT IS HARD OUT HERE AND THEY KNOW EVERYONE IS TRYING TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL SO THEY ARE TRYING TO CHARGE EVERYBODY A ARM AND A LEG AND ITS CRAZY.

marky/skittles in Chicago, Illinois

68 months ago

I don't know maybe if you google the question you will get your answer.

marky/skittles in Chicago, Illinois

68 months ago

But think about this you will also have a job too. So it dosen't matter where you start you can work as a PCT in a hospital or as a Phlebotomist for starters. Or if you want to they will train you for Dialysis after you have gotten some medical experience. And later Go back to school for nursing, I'm going for AAS LPN and later for RN because after doing PCT for 7 years in a hospital I'm so ready for something more and I want to make more money as well. Be blessed and besides at least the finacial Aid payments will be more afordable if you go for nursing, or You may qualify for a scholarship,IF you choose to go in that direction.

yvette30 estremera in Somerdale, New Jersey

68 months ago

I have a question? I reside in NJ. I attend a 1 yr training program at a technical school. I'm about to graduate in 1 month.
Is it going to be hard for me getting a job as a dialysis technician due to the recession?
could some one tell me what is the average starting salary?

sunshine in Palm Bay, Florida

68 months ago

I have a cousin that finish school in NJ and she's constantly looking for a dialyis job. I believe the starting paid wounld be about 15-16 dollar a hour because you're new. dont give up- just keep looking.
what you can do is start searching out all the unit in the area and call them. put your name out there. if a unit is in need of help they will take you now.
good luck/.

Frank in Utica, Michigan

68 months ago

To Kelly Davis and NUNU2MICKEY :
I don’t know anything about the Dorsey PCT program (it seems expensive), I took the Medical Assisting program at Ross Medical it cost just under $13,000.00.
It took 7 ½ months 5 days a week about 5 hours a day with included a 6 week externship.
Ross is accredited with “Health Education Schools”.
The education was very good but their placement service is very political (they have out rightly lied to me).
I graduated with a 98.29 GPA and perfect attendance and tutored and they have done virtually nothing to assist me.
If I had to do it over I would have gone to Carnegie Institute in Troy (MI), program cost is about $9000.00 but it is a 12 month program which is why I chose Ross.
They are more selective in admission process and have an excellent graduate placement rate and are accredited by several organizations.

I have been looking in to becoming a Dialysis Tech, I have communicated with Marky (Chicago) off line, recently, and at her suggestion I have been looking for Dialysis Tech programs but there are none locally here in SE MICH.
Everest Inst. (MI) indicates they do but I called them and they actually don’t.
As has already been indicated previously in this forum “DIALYSIS4CAREER” (Long Island, NY) offers a on line course (90 days) for $549.00 there is no clinical portion so it is all theory.
If you live in the area they do have a classroom version with clinic.
I actually called them and they indicated that they will assist with job placement but could not tell me with who.
I also called Lake Superior Col. Duluth MN, they also have an on-line, 1 year, course which I believe is all theory also.
Just by chance I had the good fortune of contacting Sonia Wynne Hemodialysis Instructor/Program Chair Central Georgia Technical College.
Sonia was a wealth of knowledge and offered me suggestions and pointed me toward the “AMGEN Core Curriculum for dialysis technicians” this is the industry standar

Frank in Utica, Michigan

68 months ago

CONTINUED -
the end was cut off I'm including it here.

Sonia was a wealth of knowledge and offered me suggestions and pointed me toward the “AMGEN Core Curriculum for dialysis technicians” this is the industry standard for basic dialysis instruction and it is FREE by going to the AMGEN web site and printing it off.
Again this won’t get you hands on experience but it will save you some $ in gaining theory and perhaps you can indicate that you have read the material on your resume.
Sonia course is held in Macon, GA which if any of you are in proximity will definitely want to look into.
I certainly wish I was closer because after talking to her this is the person I would want as a mentor.
And thanks again MARKY in Chicago for your positive input.

68 months ago

sunshine in Palm Bay, Florida said: I have a cousin that finish school in NJ and she's constantly looking for a dialyis job. I believe the starting paid wounld be about 15-16 dollar a hour because you're new. dont give up- just keep looking.
what you can do is start searching out all the unit in the area and call them. put your name out there. if a unit is in need of help they will take you now.
good luck/.

What is you have medical experience . CNA, CMA, along with phlebotomy
does that help with experience as well. its still part of patient care?

68 months ago

sunshine in Palm Bay, Florida said: I have a cousin that finish school in NJ and she's constantly looking for a dialyis job. I believe the starting paid wounld be about 15-16 dollar a hour because you're new. dont give up- just keep looking.
good luck/.

What if you have medical experience . CNA, CMA, along with phlebotomy
does that help with experience as well. its still part of patient care?

feds in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

Your right Frank that is a nice book for core curriculum we have that in our unit and some of my co-workers have it they got it by asking some of our doctors to ask if they can have some they are our vendors anyway.By the way i see alot of comments in here about having a hard time being accepted and thinking do i have enough experience this and that do i need to be this CNA MA so and so forth,Honestly speaking ppl really!!! it doesnt matter if your from a 2yr program,3 month program,4wks fresenius or 2month program in Davita,if you dont know nobody from inside its hard to get in or look for a job in dialysis, its sounds unfair really but thats the way it is especially who is recommending you does he/she knows someone from the corporate office or a manager or a staff but have excellent working background,Bc ive seen it so many times there is no posting for job opening but hey! theyre hiring left and right and when i ask them they know some one from inside or im a relative or sister cousin etc.I know bc i was a preceptor before in the private sector.Me myself here in the Federal govt the job solicitation is close already but i called someone from inside and got the job # and been interviewed in the last minute luckily got accepted.

jonathan in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

steal syndrome in hinsdale, Illinois said: hi ppl yes FEDS your right its better to apply on a Government or Hospital based dialysis way better pay because me myself and the rest i think 90% of our staff was once a product of Everest now Fresenius and Davita.Why work 12-16hrs/day if you can get it in 8hrs with great benefits and less work because in VA Hines there is only 2 shifts thats it 1/4 ratio i even experince 1/1 ratio and not much kids teens and women only old men and disciplined because of being a sodier and were been paid like me $43,000/yr as a tech and im only here for 5yrs i started at $32,575 now its much higher the starting. and they pay holiday pay even youre off that day and have 11 holidays if you work they pay you double and overtime is not included and cost of living allowance increase.but here we hate overtime no one wants to stay we want to go home and enjoy our family if single enjoy life or night out.Right now im taking my board exams for RN they paid me while im school same salary im earning,they said why be satisfied earning $36,000-$48,000/yr as a tech when you can make $75,000-$92,000/yr as a staff nurse the only difference you do is giving meds and Nursing care plans that you learn in Nursing school anyway.Well they are right because most of my nurses are former Managers and clinical coordinators of Fresenius and they said they get more money and great benefits than the old job and way less stress.

does VA Hines take people with no experience..i am currently in a cna class as we speak..i have about 12 years with a caregiving background..mostly state facilities,group home,rehab center and alot of dd/mentally job based...thanks jon

Frank in Utica, Michigan

67 months ago

Hi Feds and everyone else – Your not the first one who has mentioned “it’s not what you know but who you know” that opens the door particularly when you have no prior experience. Case in point, a guy I graduated with (MA school) has a friend at DaVita who called him and asked if he wanted to get in he didn’t because he liked what he was doing at his clinic. I mentioned to him that I’ve been knocking on DaVitas’ door (Fresenius also) but can’t seem to arouse much interest (as we have all been reading in this forum). He is suppose to be talking to him again soon about me, but I’m not holding my breath.
Question regarding CCHT, the site indicates that you must have completed classroom and clinical training program. Does this mean within the framework of formal classroom or is this on the job training such as what DaVita and Fresenius offer their hires? Could someone take it (like me for instance) if I prepared but still had not practical clinic experience?

Taleah in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

if you live in Philadelphia, PA or close to it then you may go to school to train. STAR TECHNICAL INSTITUTE, it's the BEST!!!!! ask for the dialysis instructor, TAMMY. she will let yo know everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Oh no, sorry about that . Star technical Institute has a bad reputation.I went to that school 10 years Ago for Medical assistant Phlebotomy. I never could got job. during my interview, I presented My diploma from star tech , I was told they refuse to hire any student who attend there. They have a bad reputation.
I had did my research for schools with good reputation.
The best one I cam across was
Camden county Technical Institute . I am currently a student there now for Dialysis technician.10 months. I graduate June 2009.

67 months ago

yvette30 estremera in Somerdale, New Jersey said: Oh no, sorry about that . Star technical Institute has a bad reputation.I went to that school 10 years Ago for Medical assistant Phlebotomy. I never could got job. during my interview, I presented My diploma from star tech , I was told they refuse to hire any student who attend there. They have a bad reputation.
I had did my research for schools with good reputation.
The best one I cam across was
Camden county Technical Institute . I am currently a student there now for Dialysis technician.10 months. I graduate June 2009.
I for got to mention start tech is about 10,000 .
my school is 4800 total including books

feds in Middleton, Wisconsin

67 months ago

jonathan in Chicago, Illinois said: does VA Hines take people with no experience..i am currently in a cna class as we speak..i have about 12 years with a caregiving background..mostly state facilities,group home,rehab center and alot of dd/mentally job based...thanks jon
What job opening are you trying to get in? if its dialysis yes they need experience the group we replaced theyre about 5 of them the least years in that group is about 22yrs experience and the max. is 26yrs i think.My Lead Technician he have about 36yrs experience he told me he started during the dark ages hehe! when they are bootlegging dialysis in a basement of a pharmacy and they were paid cash by the doctor and they can charge how much they want.But jonathan just check the website USAJOBS and type "Medical Instrument Technician (Hemodialysis)" and you might find other jobs there besides dialysis youll never know because some of us after years they transfer to other dept.like one now is on out patient clinic the other is in EENT clinic and one in Dental dept.

67 months ago

feds in Middleton, Wisconsin said: What job opening are you trying to get in? if its dialysis yes they need experience the group we replaced theyre about 5 of them the least years in that group is about 22yrs experience and the max. is 26yrs i think.My Lead Technician he have about 36yrs experience he told me he started during the dark ages hehe! when they are bootlegging dialysis in a basement of a pharmacy and they were paid cash by the doctor and they can charge how much they want.But jonathan just check the website USAJOBS and type "Medical Instrument Technician (Hemodialysis)" and you might find other jobs there besides dialysis youll never know because some of us after years they transfer to other dept.like one now is on out patient clinic the other is in EENT clinic and one in Dental dept.

position wanted is Dialysis technician. Now I have been a Cna for 10 years as well as a 5 CMa and A Residential technician , Home health aid. Do you think its going to be hard for me getting hired as a dialysis technician . I attend a 1 yr training program that not on supply 1yr of renal theory, But nursing, pharmacology, medical term, therapeutic communication,Phlebotomy, EGK as well.and clinical practice visit also. Not to mention our school has a very good reputation for all medical course as well. what's your opion? do you think it going to be hard for me obtaining employment? if not what would you estimate the salary range that I may make

67 months ago

yvette30 estremera in Somerdale, New Jersey said: position wanted is Dialysis technician. Now I have been a Cna for 10 years as well as a 5 CMa and A Residential technician , Home health aid. Do you think its going to be hard for me getting hired as a dialysis technician . I attend a 1 yr training program that not on supply 1yr of renal theory, But nursing, pharmacology, medical term, therapeutic communication,Phlebotomy, EGK as well.and clinical practice visit also. Not to mention our school has a very good reputation for all medical course as well. what's your opion? do you think it going to be hard for me obtaining employment? if not what would you estimate the salary range that I may make

I forgot to mention Anatomy & physiology. some one please give me your honest oppion? thank you

67 months ago

feds in Middleton, Wisconsin said: What job opening are you trying to get in? if its dialysis yes they need experience the group we replaced theyre about 5 of them the least years in that group is about 22yrs experience and the max. is 26yrs i think.My Lead Technician he have about 36yrs experience he told me he started during the dark ages hehe! when they are bootlegging dialysis in a basement of a pharmacy and they were paid cash by the doctor and they can charge how much they want.But jonathan just check the website USAJOBS and type "Medical Instrument Technician (Hemodialysis)" and you might find other jobs there besides dialysis youll never know because some of us after years they transfer to other dept.like one now is on out patient clinic the other is in EENT clinic and one in Dental dept.

Thank you

margie in Brooklyn, New York

67 months ago

Do anybody knows how can I get in touch with Davitaor Fresenius dialysis center in New York or New Jersey.

67 months ago

I just finish a course in dialysis technician and I would like to work for Davita or Fresenius Dialysis center do anybody knows how can I get in touch with them.

67 months ago

yvette30 estremera in Somerdale, New Jersey said: position wanted is Dialysis technician. Now I have been a Cna for 10 years as well as a 5 CMa and A Residential technician , Home health aid. Do you think its going to be hard for me getting hired as a dialysis technician . I attend a 1 yr training program that not on supply 1yr of renal theory, But nursing, pharmacology, medical term, therapeutic communication,Phlebotomy, EGK as well.and clinical practice visit also. Not to mention our school has a very good reputation for all medical course as well. what's your opion? do you think it going to be hard for me obtaining employment? if not what would you estimate the salary range that I may make
So do you haev a certificate in dialysis? not the BONNENT a certificate that you finished a course about dialysis.If yes you have a chance but not now we just hired 2 techs one from University of Chicago and idk the other one yet,bc right now we need help and we need ppl who know the business right away we just need to train them where to get the supplies and if they dont know our machine we can train them only few weeks bc we need help right now without training them the whoel nine yards.But there is hope but not now like what ive said out half of the 6th floor is being constructed we are now 17 chairs and we'll end up 35 chairs when the unit is done, so we'll need a lot of help and orient ppl but we dont know when it will be finish ill give it next year, right now nope but as what youve said all those experiences maybe you can apply in other depts.and if you get in atleast your in the system already bc in the Fed.Govt.you can apply different position just look what requirements they need and they will help you.

67 months ago

margie in Brooklyn, New York said: Do anybody knows how can I get in touch with Davitaor Fresenius dialysis center in New York or New Jersey.

Go to their website Fresenius and word of advice, if you gonna work or apply try the Bronx or Brookly i think unit they have 2 of them i think its bronx, they are the only 2 units of Fresenius that are Unionized.

67 months ago

margie in Brooklyn, New York said: I just finish a course in dialysis technician and I would like to work for Davita or Fresenius Dialysis center do anybody knows how can I get in touch with them.

Hello Margie. I have a question. how long was your course? and so far when you find a job please let me know how long it took you to find a job. Im kind of curious . I'm not really sure if dialysis technician is really in demand. Im hoping it is! but so far I dont see to many position for it as much as a nurse is needed.
plus people in my class have been looking for work , and everyone is telling them they want people with experience. id that true. only one person got hired from our class. and the starting pay is $13.00 a hour .. is this true. are new dialysis tech going to be started out with only $13.00. and is it going to be hard for us finding work. some one please help answer my question soon.

67 months ago

Hi Yvette the coure is 8 weeks long and is in Bklyn Ny and too and the cost is not too bad.about job openings I really do not know.

robert in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

hello
I think about go to school for dialysis tech I was hopeful that they pay much better then for PCT I found school which will teach me but also found into my hospital where I work Fresenius so when I asked them about how they pay I was shocked coz they offer me 12.20$ for start[it is less then i have now as a PCT]
Is someone who could tell me how much they really pay without experience[even I will get certificate]?
pls let me know becouse that school is starting program on this coming Saturday
thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

feds in Middleton, Wisconsin said: Go to their website Fresenius and word of advice, if you gonna work or apply try the Bronx or Brookly i think unit they have 2 of them i think its bronx, they are the only 2 units of Fresenius that are Unionized.

Do you know the phone # or the address of the clinics in the Bronx .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

la2key in New Windsor, New York

67 months ago

karen in Orland Park, Illinois said: Did you ever find a place to get training as a dialysis tech?
Please let me know. This is something my daughter is interested in and we are having an impossible time finding a school that does this training.
Please let me know

Karen

the best way to get into dialysis is to get a nurses aide for 2yrs then applt to a compant called fersinous medical care they offer the training that ables her to become certified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

la2key in New Windsor, New York said: the best way to get into dialysis is to get a nurses aide for 2yrs then applt to a compant called fersinous medical care they offer the training that ables her to become certified.
Maybe and maybe not,Like what ive said over and over can someone tell me here what does the nurse aide,CNA,PCT,MA,Health aide (except phlebotomist) do that set them apart from ppl being hired without those credentials. Because again before i trained musicians,sea man from a cruise ship,a graduate of Management and BS education grad.but after 4wks training they can better cannulate and take care patients and troubleshoot machines and read and understand the water system than other ppl in other units.Because in dialysis the important stuff are how good/do have the guts to cannulate,next is water system understanding the do's and dont's and what to watch out, ppl die not because one on one pt care in the machine but ppl forgot what to do if there is a problem in the water treatment(forgot to check chlorine,dead meter reading,didnt do or got the result for microsampling,bacterial growth,renalin rebound,positive bleach,high colony count and etc.)Before if you just present a high school diploma your fine BUT you need to pass the 4wk course and the final exam that will decide if your really in or not.Next again i mentioned it also to my past post its whom you know and not what you know it doesnt matter is your CNA or nurse grad just waiting to pass or a doctor from another country(i met some of them as a tech here in US)if you dont know someone to recommend you its not easy to get in and if there is someone recommending you it depends also about that someone does he have a good/bad rep in the unit.Last wk i have a guy for interview already i said i know the regional manager and the unit manager apply even he's a janitor/security guard and they know that, so wheres the CNA thing there and only medical ppl can apply?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

robert in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

feds in Middleton, Wisconsin said: For Robert of Chicago its sucks right when you find out only how much they pay you,but you can upgrade yourself as a dialysis acute team i dont know now how much they pay before its per case 1998 $125.00 per person that is 3or4 hrs dialysis.Or you can apply in hospital based dialysis like us,we start about $42,000/yr no evening diff.OT,weekend Diff.oncall pay and cost of living allowance not included yet.For Margie of Brooklyn ill try to find out and post it.For Shadale robert answered your question but it depends upon who is the manager but dont really expect a lot in Fresenius to pay you big,but if you going for CNA licence that is fine the impotant thing there in Fresenius is their dialysis certificate after you get it its up to you where you wanna go from there 1-2yrs exp.apply for hospitals that i ementioned or acute in NANI(National Asso.of Nephrology of Illinois)

hello ''feds in Middleton, Wisconsin''
thx a lot for answer me
I just started class
not sure if it is good school coz they just start this class first time
anyway I just wonder if i understand correct at your hospital u start with 42 000$?without experience or with some ?
hope you are OK
Robert

66 months ago

robert in Chicago, Illinois said: hello ''feds in Middleton, Wisconsin''
thx a lot for answer me
I just started class
not sure if it is good school coz they just start this class first time
anyway I just wonder if i understand correct at your hospital u start with 42 000$?without experience or with some ?
hope you are OK
Robert
Robert all of us have experince already but the starting pay yes its 42000 grand/yr that is the bottom pile bc your brand new in the unit that is a GS7 step1 some of us are already GS8 and some GS7 step 3 or 4 that was staff who was here about 2yrs already.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.