How to get a foot in the door as a personal assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (33)

Lisa @ Worcester MASS

84 months ago

How does one go about getting their foot in the door as a personal assistant. I have been inspired to go into this field of work for several years. Is it by network only? What sort of experience does one need to have to get in the door. Any advise, assistance or guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (353) / No (60) Reply - Report abuse

Tamara in Memphis, Tennessee

81 months ago

Marites Trevino in Houston, Texas said: I am currently have a full time job as a Senior Administrative Assistant. I've been in business administration for almost 8 years now. I used to be a personal assistant to a business man who owned a collection agency. My responsibilities was to coordinates all calendar, the kids schedules, his travel, gatherings, party, and etc. I coordinates all the stuff the he needs for the house, like groceries, driver, housekeeper and so on. I am trust worthy, honest, and very resourceful.

Hi Let me know what is needed to be done to just get started as far as marketing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Greg Barker in Seville, Ohio

76 months ago

Im a Nurse Asst and have been one for more then 19 yrs. Im looking to stay in the Service Field but would like any info on becoming a Personnal Asst. any contact info that you could give me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Renee in Sugar Land, Texas

71 months ago

I worked as an personal assistant in Houston, Texas. I would like to know if there are any agencies are looking for an personal assistant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Charlene in Vancouver, British Columbia

67 months ago

I am a first year in college and was looking to become a personal assistant. I was wondering what degree would be most benificial or what is needed to become a personal assistant or even working in business administration.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Brilliant Personal Assistant in Little Falls, New Jersey

67 months ago

If you are looking for a personal assistant that is articulate, sharp, intelligent, can make sensible decisions on your behalf for daily issues that arise, is trustworthy and can multi-task extremely well, please email me at kiwiberyl@yahoo.com. I am an expert in managing a top executive's calendar, fielding phone calls, arranging private travel, as well international and domestic itineraries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

sadq in Amman, Jordan

66 months ago

sadq in Amman, Jordan said: Dear Businessman/Businesswoman
I' m a male qualified legal consultant ,unique coordinator& negotiator,organizer,confident,honor,frequent flier,worked 15 years as legal counsellor & attorney at law.Also worked the other last recent 5 yrs as a personal counselor & personal assistant to an arabic businessman. Has a fluent arabic(writing,reading,conversation)excellent english(wtng,rdng,&cnvrstion),contracts formulation,well-experienced in corporate establishment(formulation),merger,liquidation,entering any company &/0r individual as a strategic partner in any other well succesfull companies in companies abroad upon request.Mediation skills,meetings skls,administrative skills & many other skills. Has many desirable hobbies.many desirable administrative,legal,leadership courses.L.L.B(or B.A) in Law(Bachelor degree)from a reputable esteem university.
Hint :There are too many data ,will be provided upon both your seriousity & request,whereas i ll provide u with my C.v & oither personal information & all my personal contacts(mobiles/cellulars,e mails ,mail box,fax,adress & othr.
Kind regards,
If you are serious e mail at:feridon_feridon@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

big kahuna in paradise in Honolulu, Hawaii

66 months ago

Lisa @ Worcester MASS said: How does one go about getting their foot in the door as a personal assistant. I have been inspired to go into this field of work for several years. Is it by network only? What sort of experience does one need to have to get in the door. Any advise, assistance or guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

The right motivation will help you a great deal. Networking is great for corporations but the world of personal assistants is a private world, few people will know the link btw you and your boss. That's the idea, so it hinders networking. Depend more on what can you do for the pricipal NOW, not can you learn - but what can you help her with today. Who do you know at netjets.com or how do you reboot MS Vista for your bosses laptop, or how to keep a clanedar and ensure everybody who should be seem is and who isv't - stays away. Keep organized and technially competant. Understand the travel industry , understand how hotels and restaurants are run, that gives u=you valuable insihght into what requests can be accomidated and which ones are best not asked for...

Good Luck.
dalton

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dogluvrr@aol.com in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

I would like a job as a personal assistant to a business man or businesswoman. I have been working as a social worker for many years but now I would like to make more money so I am considering changing my line of work. I am smart, quick to learn, motivated, dedicated and hardworking. If there is anyone out there who would like to give me a chance, I will prove to them that they were right to take that chance!

I can be contacted by email.

Thank you.

Bonnie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

pryormelissa@comcast.net in Winchester, Virginia

63 months ago

Is it possible to break into the field of personal assistant with children. I am a huge multi-tasker and have the employment history to support my desire to be a personal assistant. I want to relocate to a warmer client...immediately with my family ...my goal is to be a personal assistant from someones home or small business. Any response is greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

beachmom in Lewiston, Maine

51 months ago

Get everything in writing at the start. Always! For your protection and their's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

NCA in Washington, District of Columbia

44 months ago

This position is for entry level in the entertainment business and requires unique time and skill requirements. The position is part-time, on demand and gaps between event work will exist for the first 5 months. The position does not require full-time, Monday thru Friday presence. However you will be required to respond at anytime. If you are seeking a daily 9 to 5 position with consistent weekly pay, this is not position. It is ideal for interns or aspiring entertainment executives.
Interns also encouraged and welcome to apply at $12.00 - $20.00 per hour.

Independent film company based out of Los Angeles and with locations in Northern Va., and D.C. currently has a film due for release in 2011 and have scheduled screenings for D.C., Virginia, Los Angeles, New York, and several film festivals in the United States and potentially France. Please do not apply unless you have read this ad in detail and have total understanding and availability. We are seeking a part-time personal assistant to work and travel with us as a personal assistant and business executive. You must have a college education and be available to travel worldwide.

We are seeking someone articulate, attractive and humble. A background in the entertainment business or business management is desired. As a Personal Assistant you will be responsible for a myriad of tasks and will take on the role of secretary, receptionist, administrative assistant, and a personal runner all rolled into one. You will also work in an administrative capacity by taking care of filing, handling correspondence, bookkeeping, marketing and data entry. Responsibilities may also entail, running errands, picking up dry cleaning, and ordering lunch during a meeting, grocery shopping and picking up associates at the airport.

We are looking for a Personal Assistant to be our eyes, ears, and voice. The job of a celebrity Personal Assistant entails a 24/7 responsibility since you will mostly take care of everything starting

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in San Bruno, California

44 months ago

I've been a Personal Assistant for many years in both the entertainment and private sector. My best suggestion to you is to check out the Amazon book: The Essential Handbook for Personal Assistants

It's a really detailed and well prepared guide on everything from looking for jobs to how to do the job once you're hired. It even offers 18 free bonus forms and templates to help you do the job even better. Best book out on the subject there so far!

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Tons!

I've been a Personal Assistant for many years in both the entertainment and private sector. My best suggestion to you is to check out the Amazon book: The Essential Handbook for Personal Assistants

It lists all of the agencies who place Personal Assistants.

It's a really detailed and well prepared guide on everything from looking for jobs to how to do the job once you're hired. It even offers 18 free bonus forms and templates to help you do the job even better. Best book out on the subject there so far!

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Absolutely you have the right to ask for more money! You should never be afraid to ask but you should know the proper way to ask. Check this out:

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Christine in Waukegan, Illinois

44 months ago

In reply to your comment for the part-time entry level in the entertainment business as a personal assistant. I would like to submit my resume, privately, and understand the circumstances related to the position. Could you please advise as to where I may submit my resume or whom to contact. Briefly, I have experience as a business manager, travel industry, personal assistant as well as organization, flexibility and the freedom to travel as required. Thank you for your time. Sincerely, Christine

Craig in San Francisco, California

44 months ago

If you are a newbie or have rose-colored glasses on because this is entertainment, be careful here people, this ad contradicts itself A LOT. They stress part-time, however, you will be required to respond at anytime.

For that alone, the pay is WAY too low.

They are seeking a part-time personal assistant to work and travel with them and be available to travel worldwide. They entice with the words "entertainment" and "travel"

The ask for articulate, attractive (usually means a pretty woman aka hired gun, arm piece), to also be secretary, receptionist, administrative assistant, and a personal runner all rolled into one. You will take care of filing, handling correspondence, bookkeeping, marketing and data entry. Phew!

Lots of work for a part-timer!!!

Responsibilities may also entail, running errands, picking up dry cleaning, and ordering lunch during a meeting, grocery shopping and picking up associates at the airport.

Then they say for this "part-time" position:

The job of a celebrity Personal Assistant entails a 24/7 responsibility since you will mostly take care of everything.

MIGHT BE LEGIT, BUT I'VE WORKED IN THE BIZ AS A TOP ASSISTANT 15 YEARS AND I JUST WANT YOU TO GO IN WITH YOUR EYES OPEN. Good Luck. But be alret.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Christine in Chicago, Illinois

44 months ago

Craig in San Francisco, California said: If you are a newbie or have rose-colored glasses on because this is entertainment, be careful here people, this ad contradicts itself A LOT. They stress part-time, however, you will be required to respond at anytime.

For that alone, the pay is WAY too low.

They are seeking a part-time personal assistant to work and travel with them and be available to travel worldwide. They entice with the words "entertainment" and "travel"

The ask for articulate, attractive (usually means a pretty woman aka hired gun, arm piece), to also be secretary, receptionist, administrative assistant, and a personal runner all rolled into one. You will take care of filing, handling correspondence, bookkeeping, marketing and data entry. Phew!

Lots of work for a part-timer!!!

Responsibilities may also entail, running errands, picking up dry cleaning, and ordering lunch during a meeting, grocery shopping and picking up associates at the airport.

Then they say for this "part-time" position:

The job of a celebrity Personal Assistant entails a 24/7 responsibility since you will mostly take care of everything.

MIGHT BE LEGIT, BUT I'VE WORKED IN THE BIZ AS A TOP ASSISTANT 15 YEARS AND I JUST WANT YOU TO GO IN WITH YOUR EYES OPEN. Good Luck. But be alret.

Thank you for your advice.

Celebrity Assistant in Gilroy, California

44 months ago

As a former celebrity assistant to Hollywood A-listers, millionaires, billionaires, and the Royal Saudi Family, I can tell you that you need a very strong background in customer service like retail or hospitality. You also need a clean background and driving record. Be sure to get rec letters from all of your jobs and do lots of networking.

Brian Daniel
www.findcelebrityjobs.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

SusanAmerica in Selby, United Kingdom

42 months ago

Christine in Waukegan, Illinois said: In reply to your comment for the part-time entry level in the entertainment business as a personal assistant. I would like to submit my resume, privately, and understand the circumstances related to the position. Could you please advise as to where I may submit my resume or whom to contact. Briefly, I have experience as a business manager, travel industry, personal assistant as well as organization, flexibility and the freedom to travel as required. Thank you for your time. Sincerely, Christine

Dear Christine

Try suzywuzywu@yahoo.com I have had experience in this industry and may be able to offer advice. Thanks.

Chris in Los Angeles, California

42 months ago

SusanAmerica in Selby, United Kingdom said: Dear Christine

Try suzywuzywu@yahoo.com I have had experience in this industry and may be able to offer advice. Thanks.

Good luck!

Joe Rink in Algonquin, Illinois

42 months ago

I’m writing to you in response to your ad for a Personal Assistant??
I offer organization and peace of mind to those who need it the most, while practicing the art of discretion. My goal is to become your Personal Assistant, responsible for driving, scheduling, coordinating, arranging and making and/or taking phone calls for someone involved in the entertainment industry.
First of all, I’m a huge fan of movies and T.V. What I’ve done is merged my passions and interests with the resources, management and communication skills I’ve developed over many years. I would be available 24/7 and look forward to the travel involved.
What sets me apart??
I’m part-time, ten year veteran of the Cary Fire Protection District acting as a Firefighter, Emergency Medical Technician and Basic Life Support (BLS) Instructor. I’ve been trained to act quickly, work efficiently and make critical decisions in any number of life threatening situations.
Now, the chances of there ever being a medical emergency while I’m with you, your friends or family is remote. However, wouldn’t it be nice knowing your personal assistant is trained should the need for emergent care arise? I carry a “jump bag” with medical supplies in my vehicle at all times.
Aside from being a Firefighter/EMT, I’ve spent the last 20 years in commercial and residential construction and management, where I’ve been responsible for sales, project management and customer service. I am excellent at multi-tasking, enabling me to manage multiple projects in different phases, at one time, efficiently and effectively. I’ve always strived to the do my best with every job or client I’ve worked for. I learned at any early age to work hard and treat people with kindness and respect.
I appreciate your time and look forward to speaking with you at your convenience. Please e-mail me anytime at joe60013@comcast.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vickietown@comcast.net in Bellevue, Washington

42 months ago

NCA in Washington, District of Columbia said: This position is for entry level in the entertainment business and requires unique time and skill requirements. The position is part-time, on demand and gaps between event work will exist for the first 5 months. The position does not require full-time, Monday thru Friday presence. However you will be required to respond at anytime. If you are seeking a daily 9 to 5 position with consistent weekly pay, this is not position. It is ideal for interns or aspiring entertainment executives.
Interns also encouraged and welcome to apply at $12.00 - $20.00 per hour.

Independent film company based out of Los Angeles and with locations in Northern Va., and D.C. currently has a film due for release in 2011 and have scheduled screenings for D.C., Virginia, Los Angeles, New York, and several film festivals in the United States and potentially France. Please do not apply unless you have read this ad in detail and have total understanding and availability. We are seeking a part-time personal assistant to work and travel with us as a personal assistant and business executive. You must have a college education and be available to travel worldwide.

We are seeking someone articulate, attractive and humble. A background in the entertainment business or business management is desired. As a Personal Assistant you will be responsible for a myriad of tasks and will take on the role of secretary, receptionist, administrative assistant, and a personal runner all rolled into one. You will also work in an administrative capacity by taking care of filing, handling correspondence, bookkeeping, marketing and data entry. Responsibilities may also entail, running errands, picking up dry cleaning, and ordering lunch during a meeting, grocery shopping and picking up associates at the airport.

We are looking for a Personal Assistant to be our eyes, ears, and voice. The job of a celebrity Personal Assistant entails a 24/7 responsibility sinc

Christine in Chicago, Illinois

42 months ago

N2010 in United Kingdom said: I need some advice please:

For 2 years, I worked as an assistant to 2 directors [CEO & Deputy Chairman] and I was earning X salary per month - but I resigned from that job.

I applied to a new company after this, and in the interview they explained that I would be working as an assistant to only 1 director, so I accepted a lower salary [half of the X I was earning at my last job]. After I started the job they expected me to assist 2 directors on a regular basis [& it turns out that this was the plan from the start] - they did not make this clear to me before I accepted the job.

Do I have a right to now ask for a higher salary since the agreement changed [I accepted the job based on that I'd assist only one director and now they're asking me to assist two]?

Your help is urgently needed

This seems to be a "normal" practice in the industry. In your employment agreement, was it stated specifically who you would be an assistant to? If so, I would bring this to his/her attention, however, be aware of the wording in your job description "and other duties as they are needed" as the additional directors may be included in the "misc" duties as far as the company is concerned. If you have a good working relationship with your director, ask if they have plans to hire another assistant for the other person or will this be the situation moving forward. You do have the right to know what is expected of you in order to perform at the top of your game.

KAREN KARJALA in Saint Paul, Minnesota

42 months ago

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET MY BROTHER A P.C.A.JOB,BY TAKING CARE OF MY OTHER BROTHER, AND GET PAID FOR IT.

KAREN KARJALA in Saint Paul, Minnesota

42 months ago

MY E-MAIL IS KARENKARJALA98@yahoo.com

Garda in Washington,DC in Washington, District of Columbia

38 months ago

I am looking for a Personal Assistant Position and would like to work for a businesswoman or businessman in the Washington, DC metro area. I have many years of experience serving many high net worth employers with demanding jobs and busy personal lives in the Washington, DC area and have earned invaluable experience as well as have achieved high standards for services provided. I am college educated and have worked as Administrative Assistant for a bank many years, have been an Art Dealer and organized many exhibitions, News Editor for the school newspaper when attending school, I am certified in 9 computers software programs including the Office Suite, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and others, I have studied wines and have good knowledge of wines and know all the important wine growing regions in the world as well as learned to pair wines with food. I can be very resourceful and have earned respect and impeccable references. garda.como@gmail com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kylie in London, UK in London, United Kingdom

37 months ago

I am looking to start a Career as a Personal Assistant. I am moving back to Australia in a few months. What is the best way of getting my foot in the door? I am currently looking into online courses to help. I have always worked in Admin but want to move on.

David R. Twiss, Jr in Auburn, Alabama

35 months ago

Greg Barker in Seville, Ohio said: Im a Nurse Asst and have been one for more then 19 yrs. Im looking to stay in the Service Field but would like any info on becoming a Personnal Asst. any contact info that you could give me.

My degree is medial related and I was able to segway into the career as a Personal Assistant. The answer to your question is simple: be up to date on business etiquette, business practices, office functions, computer systems & programs related to the medical industry (which applies to most industries, microsoft is microsoft be it in a med setting or insurance office, business practicum is the same in any area), network w/ the people you have met in the medical industry: Dir. of Nursing, A.D.O.N, Superintendent's, H.R. personnel, etc. I have lent support to people in all of the above positions as a Personal Assistant. Feel free to check out my professional page on facebook by searching David R. Twiss, Jr, click on my info page to read my story on becoming a P.A. Also, feel free to contact me personally at yahoo (davidrtwissjr@...). Best regards and good luck. BTW, hit the "LIKE" button on my professional page, it will be a great way to start looking at trends in the PA field and to start getting your name out there. David R. Twiss, Jr.

35 months ago

carolyn noecker in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I am just now trying to get in the feild as a personal assistant. Can you tell me what is needed to start that and help me get started?

If you are interested in becoming a PROFESSIONAL P.A: A degree in business or a related degree, and/or experience in related professional settings, a stong background in support positions, the ability to be aware of the nuances of judgment and discretion, and have the ability to make decisions for a second or third party, and act accordingly to the need at hand, and be able to provide professional and unbiased support. If you have any of these qualifications then you must simply begin to network and promote yourself.

Unless you are looking for a job as a dog walker, picking up groceries and dry cleaning, and posting things on a calendar. In that case, you need experience in the above. But seriously, how much experience does one need to perform the above actions...NOT MUCH! Therefore, simply network. Post your strenghts and eagerness on the web and around local businesses, as you have done here. Good luck! If you are interested in becoming a PROFESSIONAL P.A.

35 months ago

Lisa @ Worcester MASS said: How does one go about getting their foot in the door as a personal assistant. I have been inspired to go into this field of work for several years. Is it by network only? What sort of experience does one need to have to get in the door. Any advise, assistance or guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Please see my professional page on facebook by searching David R. Twiss, Jr (or Personal Assistants, or Professional People - unfortunatley this setting will not allow the direct link). Click on my profile to read how I became a P.A. I can safely say that networking is the best way to get yourself known as a P.A. However, it certainly is not the only way. You can get some tips from my professional page.

In addition, if you have any of the following abilities, or experiences, you could be a huge success as a P.A: be fully aware of the nuances of judgment and discretion, have previous experiences in support positions, be able to make informed decisions for a second or third party, act accordingly to the need at hand, and provide professional and unbiased support.

Also, are you interested in being a Professinal P.A. or a dog walker, grocery getter, and errand person? These are two very-very different positions. If you are interested in the professional side then: have a degree in business or in a related field, have experience in support positions, etc. If you are interested in the later, you need not have experience at all. Feel free to email me personally at yahoo - davidrtwissjr

Best of luck,
David

35 months ago

carolyn noecker in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I am just now trying to get in the feild as a personal assistant. Can you tell me what is needed to start that and help me get started?

Please see my professional page on facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/David-R-Twiss-Jr or simply fb search: David R. Twiss, Jr. Click on my profile to read how I became a P.A., it might be of use to you. If you find my story helpful and if you want to begin networking at a P.A. hit the "LIKE" button.

Best regards,
David

kat in Minneapolis, Minnesota

34 months ago

Christine in Chicago, Illinois said: This seems to be a "normal" practice in the industry. In your employment agreement, was it stated specifically who you would be an assistant to? If so, I would bring this to his/her attention, however, be aware of the wording in your job description "and other duties as they are needed" as the additional directors may be included in the "misc" duties as far as the company is concerned. If you have a good working relationship with your director, ask if they have plans to hire another assistant for the other person or will this be the situation moving forward. You do have the right to know what is expected of you in order to perform at the top of your game.
Why would you quit a higher paying job for a lower pay in the 1st place.Most companys expect one person to do 3 people's jobs.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.