Tips for personal banker interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 245)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

anxious for job in Middletown, New York

103 months ago

Hello out there- I have applied for an account executive job with HSBC/HFC a few weeks ago, have not heard anything, also applied for a similar position with Bank of America a few weeks ago. Does anyone out there know how long it takes to receive any feedback? Also, the one position with HSBC is no longer available? Same thing with M&T Bank, I am having no luck. I have the qualifications and need to get a new job soon, my current employment is going out of business soon. Any help please!! Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

aaron in Bedford, Texas

103 months ago

prettygirl in Brooklyn, New York said: how was the assesment test

simple percentage questions and also a few questions dealing with reason like the SAT...

one that i remember was a sequence of numbers and which one came next.

another gave a lot of information about credit card interest, time period, and beginning balances, NONE of which had to do with the actual question. not hard, but make sure you read and re-phrase the question before you answer it.

take your time.

Reply - Report abuse

Vicky in Chicago, Illinois

103 months ago

How much money do personal bankers make ?

Reply - Report abuse

aaron in Irving, Texas

103 months ago

base, anywhere from 28k a year to 40k a year... commissions is where the difference is. i know that wachovia starts closer to 40 but they cap their bonuses. Chase starts around 32 but the bonuses are uncapped and based on sales. you make as much as you are willing to work for.

Reply - Report abuse

mike in Hoboken, New Jersey

103 months ago

I did the assesment almost 2 months ago and I was told I would be moving forward to meet with the District Manager and I have not heard back since..is this the normal way they handle this?

Reply - Report abuse

Irena in Middletown, New York

103 months ago

Hey Mike,

Did you have a recruiter that you can speak to-that is a very long time not to hear from someone. let me know what happens. I am still trying to get a job in a bank as a banker. I just applied to Citizens bank for a banker position. I have no idea what to expect but 2 months is way too long to wait. wish us all luck with this hunt!!!

Reply - Report abuse

Not a complainer in Albany, New York

102 months ago

anxious for job in Middletown, New York said: Hello out there- I have applied for an account executive job with HSBC/HFC a few weeks ago, have not heard anything, also applied for a similar position with Bank of America a few weeks ago. Does anyone out there know how long it takes to receive any feedback? Also, the one position with HSBC is no longer available? Same thing with M&T Bank, I am having no luck. I have the qualifications and need to get a new job soon, my current employment is going out of business soon. Any help please!! Thanks.

It takes 4-5 days after you apply, if not you will get a turn down email

Reply - Report abuse

mulatta in Brooklyn, New York

101 months ago

I have a second interview with the branch manager @ Chase on tuesday. I found some helpful tips here. Thanks!

Reply - Report abuse

Michael LP in Itasca, Illinois

101 months ago

What are the smart questions to ask to recruiting manager? Unfortunately nothing comes to my mind - that's my first professional interview:-(

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Mandy in Teaneck, New Jersey

101 months ago

Michael LP in Itasca, Illinois said: What are the smart questions to ask to recruiting manager? Unfortunately nothing comes to my mind - that's my first professional interview:-(

Micheal, there are so many questions: Ask them what necessitated this vacant position,what makes a person very successful in this position, what are the likely support one would receive from his/her supervisor, how does one rise in that institution....askt questions that would make them feel that U r smart and also interesting in the job.

Good luck

Reply - Report abuse

trout-bum in san Diego, California

100 months ago

Thanks for all the great info here.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Amy1982 in Auburn, Washington

100 months ago

Hello. I have Personal Banker interview next week. I am little nervous here. can someone out there suggest me what kind of questions they will ask me? This is my first time I am going to have PB interview. I have one other interview in 2 days for a teller position in same wells fargo bank but different branch.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

kahoa corbett in Auckland, New Zealand

100 months ago

please delete my name on the personel banker website

thanks

Reply - Report abuse

anxious for job in Middletown, New York

100 months ago

Why are you telling ME to take you off this list? You have to unapply with indeed.com!!!!!

Reply - Report abuse

trout-bum in San Diego, California

99 months ago

This site was a lot of help for me and now I would like to return the favor.

Recently I completed the group interview for Wells Fargo Bank and thought I would leave you my notes so you will know what you could expect from this institution.

The group interview was held in a conference room and consisted of those applying for both a PB position and those applying for a teller position.

The individual conducting the interview promised it would take around 2 hours to complete, and this held to be true.

We are asked to fill out some paperwork: name, address, position applying for, hours available for working, etc. We were also asked to sign giving WF permission to complete a background check.

After this formality we were told the teller and PB job duties and what we could expect if chosen.

Next we were asked to answer 3 questions on paper which would be followed by standing up and speaking our answer to the group:

1) Name your biggest accomplishment, biggest challenge to the accomplishment, any recognition you received, and what you took away from the accomplishment.

2) Biggest goal, how long did it take to accomplish, the hardest part, what did you learn about yourself, any recognition?

3) Biggest example of customer service you have provided, who was the client, any recognition.

We did not know the questions ahead of time and were given them one at a time to answer. Once we answered one in written form and verbal
form in front of the other applicants, we were then given the next question. You will turn in your written answers at the end of the interview, all the while the interviewer is taking notes on each individual person and their answers as you speak to the group.

Rejections will be notified via e-mail. If you are asked to go to the next level of interviewing you will be notified via phone call within two week.

Reply - Report abuse

leeKah in Denver, Colorado

99 months ago

thank you sooo much trout-bum!!! I have my group interview w WF tomorrow and I really need the job. This is of great help.
Hope you got the job -- keep us posted!

Reply - Report abuse

leeKah in Denver, Colorado

99 months ago

hey guys, I'm gonna do the same and share .... Just had my interview this morning.
Alond with those 3 questions (biggest work accomplishment, goal motivation and when you provided the greatest customer service) they also had us role play, as some have mentioned. We didn't have m uch time to prepare, but I think as long as you read through the benfits of the service you want to offer (they give you that and little time to prepare) and you ask the customer questions before suggesting the service and explain it to them, it seems to be enough. I guess if you really want to prepare for that, stop by a branch and grab a flyer with the different services.
They also said that it is an entry level position, they don't look so much for experience, but the ability to sell and to relate to people. Pay they said is normally around 32-33K, might be more depending on experience. it took about 2.5 hours, cause one person talked waaaay too much.
Best of luck to all... and me too! :) Hope this helps

Reply - Report abuse

googliebear in Eugene, Oregon

99 months ago

Hi, I was just informed by my branch manager that she wants me to interview for a personal banker position. I'm looking forward to it but a guy I work with told me that his interview was three hours long. Can anyone give me some pointers as to what I need to look for? Thanks alot.

Reply - Report abuse

rickyhood in Dallas, Texas

98 months ago

I have a group interview with wells fargo,..what are some of the precise answers to give when asked..why do you want to be a personal banker at wells fargo? and what are some of the questions to ask in as group interview?...please help ASAAP

Reply - Report abuse

unixphone in SF, California

97 months ago

hey guys
I just completed the personal banker phone interview. I am curious on "questions" after the group interview... I applied Wells Fargo btw.

thanks

Reply - Report abuse

Wannbeabanker in Kenosha, Wisconsin

96 months ago

Thank you all so much for the imformative comments, this site was really helpful for me. I have had a telephone interview, an interview with the Branch Manager and just today had the final interview with the District Manager with Chase. He said they will be making and decision and I should hear by Monday. Wish me luck! :)

Reply - Report abuse

Musica in Mississauga, Ontario

95 months ago

Michael LP in Itasca, Illinois said: What are the smart questions to ask to recruiting manager? Unfortunately nothing comes to my mind - that's my first professional interview:-(

Beside asking all the questions that will make you look smart, you need to ask the recruiting manager something that will make them remember you. The questions that worked so well for me in the past (and also my friends) is: how long have you been employed with this bank? what do you like about it? This will help you bond with the interviewer as it's in the human nature to like to talk about ourselves...they'll feel good if they talk about themselves!!!

Reply - Report abuse

naren in Chicago, Illinois

95 months ago

unixphone in SF, California said: hey guys
I just completed the personal banker phone interview. I am curious on "questions" after the group interview... I applied Wells Fargo btw.

thanks

Hi

I have a personal banker phone interview at wells fargo in a couple of days
can u let me know what type of questions they will be asking in fone interview and what the next rounds of interview and how they 'll be?

thanks in advance for ur time

Reply - Report abuse

Shey in Orange County, California

94 months ago

naren in Chicago, Illinois said: Hi

I have a personal banker phone interview at wells fargo in a couple of days
can u let me know what type of questions they will be asking in fone interview and what the next rounds of interview and how they 'll be?

thanks in advance for ur time

WELLS FARGO - PHONE Interview for Personal Banker

I just had a phone interview on the phone today, it is quick and brief, interview seems not very personable at first:
1) Make sure you greet your interviewer (remember his/her name): How are you today (name) ? or however you greet.
2)He gave a brief intro what PB job descriptions are and he will ask you if this is type job appeals to you? of course answer YES!
3) He asked if I can give him a sales success story I have achieve in the past - either from previous or current job.
4) He ask me If I have came accross any problems with customer and how I solve it? What was the outcome in the end?
5) Last, he ask me why I would be a good fit for this Personal Banker position?

The interviewer should ask you at that time that you are invited for 2nd interview (if you are not asked, sorry...you don't get a 2nd interview) - he will then set time and day with you. He will email confirmation also. Good day for me! I'm able to get in for I believe they call "Group Interview" in the corporate office located in Irvine. Good luck - most specially for people who have been looking for a job for a while now!!! Hopefully this additional information helps. I read some information that few people wrote for this group interview: THANK YOU!

Anybody else has any pointers or advise for this particular job please reply ASAP my interview is in less than 10 days. I really would like to get in WELLS FARGO. Do you have to have good credit?? Do they pull your credit report??? Any other specific pointers?

Reply - Report abuse

unixphone in SF, California

94 months ago

Hey shey,
i just applied personal banker and passed the phone interview. Would you please let us know how you do on your 2nd in?

Thanks.

Reply - Report abuse

Keiko in Royal Oak, Michigan

93 months ago

I have a phone interview with Chase Bank tomorrow for a Personal Banker interview. Can anyone tell me what those are like? I've found some great info otherwise, but not for the phone interview specifically. Thank you! I'm pretty nervous about it!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

UHuhOh09 in Tarzana, California

93 months ago

I just had an interview for the personal banker position yesterday. Here are a few tips. Where a suit with tie (male), suit with nice blouse (females) because that is what you will be in all day in your new position. The managers would like to see what you will be looking like to the customer as well and if its good for the business. STAND OUT! Be the first to give you presentation. CONFIDENCE is a MUST. I was nervous but after a few mins of taking deep breaths I was back on track. Look at competition banks, be prepared to know what makes the bank that you are applying for THE TOP BANK, even if its really not.. For instance Bank of America vs Wells Fargo. We know that BofA is more commercialized and has just about everything that you could ask for in a bank. (low fees, variety of accts, KEEP THE CHANGE PROGRAM). But you then have to channel through to see what WF would offer that BofA doesn't, the managers will be amazed to know what you were able to find.. Don't think that you dont have to take the time to prepare for this kind of interview. I stayed up until 5am, with interview being at 9 to make sure I was well prepared. Also if you can put together a "Brag" portfolio of different achievements that you have made over you tenure at your last/current BANK position, that will help you to stand out. GOOD LUCK

Reply - Report abuse

bankersrus in Irvine, California

93 months ago

If you only have been working at a bank for a couple months, but now have an interview with the bank of your choice, do you put the current position on your resume? if so, what's a good way to explain why you want to be at the bank of your choice?

Reply - Report abuse

Johnanthony618 in Redondo Beach, California

92 months ago

Thank you for all your feedback. The role playing definitely helped along with knowing about the products and services in general. I interviewed with the Branch and Asst. manager and hopefully will get one of the new Personal Banking positions. Chase seem to be hiring at all their branches.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Retha in Gaborone, Botswana

92 months ago

I am going for an interview for a personal banker and this forum has given me an insight on what to say and emphases.Thanks for your contributions.God bless you

Reply - Report abuse

Johnanthony618 in Redondo Beach, California

92 months ago

Had my interview with the Branch and Asst. manager Friday, now three days later I receive a call for an interview with the District Manager. Fortunately, they asked me if I was available today at 3pm. I'll let you all know how the interview was conducted and what questions were asked. Thank you so much for the help!

Reply - Report abuse

BBS in Austin, Texas

90 months ago

Jimmy Noble in Tampa, Florida said: Low cut shirts and short skirts always impress the hiring managers....good luck

ahahahahah good joke dude

Reply - Report abuse

Lucy in Sedona, Arizona

89 months ago

Keiko in Royal Oak, Michigan said: I have a phone interview with Chase Bank tomorrow for a Personal Banker interview. Can anyone tell me what those are like? I've found some great info otherwise, but not for the phone interview specifically. Thank you! I'm pretty nervous about it!

My phone interview was very casual and what I would consider a "feeler" to see if you are what they are looking for. She first covered all of the basics of job description, salary, and expectations to be sure I was even interested. Then she asked a few simple questions such as 1) Why I was interested in a career with Chase 2) Explain my background in Sales 3) Tell her about a time I had exceptional customer service and what made it exceptional. She told me right away that she was forwarding my contact info and notes to the branch manager where I wished to work and that they would contact me the next day for an on-site interview. I was called back that same day (it was a Friday) and interviewed Monday (yesterday). I was lucky enough to have two branch managers and the District Manager all at the same time! The interview was exactly as most everyone else who has interviewed with Chase has said...typical interview questions, role playing, and greeting a customer and taking them to a personal banker. I would be very prepared in knowing your strengths in Sales and Customer Service, an. Also, do your research on the products they have to offer...I was very specific in my role playing, offering actual products and packages and that seemed to really impress them! Be sure to drive home the sale! Mostly, have confidence in yourself and be personable. They want someone who can relate to their customers and build loyal relationships to keep them coming back.
And good news....I got my offer today! Hope this info helps, I know it is tough out there right now but keep at it and the right job will come along!

Reply - Report abuse

Senai in Bronx, New York

89 months ago

Hello all, I've been reading through your questions and answers and they are very helpful... I had my phone interview last week now I have an intervew this Friday... can you please tell me what I should prepare myself by studying, as far as the assessment is concerned. I have not taken an SAT-like test in about 13yrs. and I didn't study banking/business in college. Do I go and google every profit/loss quesion to prepare? What do I do to land this interview?

Reply - Report abuse

mike in Montclair, New Jersey

89 months ago

Make sure you know how to calculate in percentages such as interest rates. carefully read the question and take your time. if you have high school or higher level of math skills you should be fine.

Reply - Report abuse

Anthony in Lake Elsinore, California

87 months ago

This is for a PB at Chase. I passed my assesment test and first interview, did well on the second interview (because I was very prepared) and I'm almost certain they will be calling me soon to interview with a District Manager.

So my question is: What is the interview with the District Manager like?

On the second interview we did the role playing, asked me all the question about my previous experience in sales. We also talked for a while, nice guy. I haven't done the going out to the lobby to get a customer yet or any 'situational' questions. I'm a bit worried about the latter, please let me know what type of questions to be expected from a district manager.

Note aside, I realize how a lot of people complain about this position in other forums and you know what, is really not for everyone. I know what I'm getting into and I'm ok with it.

Reply - Report abuse

Barbar in Streetsboro, Ohio

87 months ago

Anthony in Lake Elsinore, California said: This is for a PB at Chase. I passed my assesment test and first interview, did well on the second interview (because I was very prepared) and I'm almost certain they will be calling me soon to interview with a District Manager.

So my question is: What is the interview with the District Manager like?

On the second interview we did the role playing, asked me all the question about my previous experience in sales. We also talked for a while, nice guy. I haven't done the going out to the lobby to get a customer yet or any 'situational' questions. I'm a bit worried about the latter, please let me know what type of questions to be expected from a district manager.

Note aside, I realize how a lot of people complain about this position in other forums and you know what, is really not for everyone. I know what I'm getting into and I'm ok with it.

I had my interview with a D.M. last week, and some of the questions were: What do you think makes a good personal banker?
Why do you want to work for Chase? She also asked what motivates me.
She gave me a couple of situational role plays (trying to set an appointment with a current client while he was making a drive thru window transation), and selling her a Chase checking account as she was someone shopping for a new bank.She also had me go into the lobby and approach a client to have him meet with a banker..I guess I did o.k. because she said the next step is to meet with someone from the marketing team and I got that phone call today and it was a phone interview. Hopefully I get the job and I hope this helps you.

Reply - Report abuse

Anthony in Lake Elsinore, California

87 months ago

Thanks Barbar, that helps a lot. I already had some of those questions asked except the drive thru one so it seems the D.M might repeat some of the same questions. I was worried about other situational questions like 'Give me a concrete example of a complicated set of specific instructions you had to explain a customer in the past.'

I imagine to setup an appointment with a customer on the drive thru would be similar to setting up an appointment cold calling over the phone. Hopefully someone experienced can shed some light on the proper procedure to do this here.

You would think after a math/personality test and three interviews you would get a job, but apparently I need to watch out for a fourth one now.

Thanks again and good luck to you.

Reply - Report abuse

Juan in Chicago, Illinois

87 months ago

I actually got the job for a PB today with chase and all the posts in here helped a lot. I was a bit nervous before the interviews but the good thing was that all three interviews were done that same day one right after another. All three manager seemed to ask similar questions just said differently and in different order. Two of them had me do role play but with different kinds of products not having to do with banks. One had me pick a subject of my own and asked me to sell it to him. What I like to do is ask questions about what they are looking for what are they going to use for things like that. The more questions you ask the more you find out about the customer. That impressed them. Also the lobby thing was just to greet people as they came in and point them to the PB's that are there. If you read most of these posts you will be prepared enough, I think. One more thing I used a lot of personal sales experiences when I answered a lot of they're questions.

Good Luck!

Reply - Report abuse

Barbara in Streetsboro, Ohio

87 months ago

Congratulations Juan. I also was just hired by Chase. My last interview was a phone interview with the Market Manager. He just asked me to tell him a little bit about my background (over 20 yrs. in banking in management roles). He then asked me why I chose Chase as a potential employer. The third question is what I thought I might bring to Chase in the role of a personal banker. The last question was to give him an example of how I would handle a client that was pulled from the lobby and seated at my desk. Wanted to know how that conversation would sound. (Looking to see how far I probed before offering products). Told me this was the last step of the process and it moves pretty quickly after this interview. That was at 1 pm yesterday and I recieved my offer at 10am today. This site is wonderful and good luck to all potential Chase Personal Bankers. Just follow some of the suggestions and you should be fine.

Reply - Report abuse

b in Phoenix, Arizona

87 months ago

for working with chase for 4 years knowing all their products, volunteered to do two different events where i out sold all the other reps, being always able to met and exceed my sales quota, being chosen to go to another state to come back train other associates, being a supervisor with the capacity to handle irate customers, having the most depth full knowledge of banking rules regulations, systems, policy and procedures, being not only a regular banker but also trained on the business aspect of their accounts, being one of their retention banker with the soft skills to retain customers,lastly for now being one of the lead bankers in my division i was laid off and my job was given to some one in another country that cant comprehend what a check register is and why a customer needs one i recently too applied for a job as personal banker and teller with chase bank and was not even considered for either positions i believe truly that chase bank is the worst bank i never want a job from them or will ever apply again i am actually in the process of being hired by wellsfargo chase bank doesnt care bout their employee or their customers guess i ll write jaime dimon funny thing is the man had the nerve to come and when asked the question if the rumor was true that he was eliminating our jobs he stood there and lied

Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

b in Phoenix, Arizona said: for working with chase for 4 years knowing all their products, volunteered to do two different events where i out sold all the other reps, being always able to met and exceed my sales quota, being chosen to go to another state to come back train other associates, being a supervisor with the capacity to handle irate customers, having the most depth full knowledge of banking rules regulations, systems, policy and procedures, being not only a regular banker but also trained on the business aspect of their accounts, being one of their retention banker with the soft skills to retain customers,lastly for now being one of the lead bankers in my division i was laid off and my job was given to some one in another country that cant comprehend what a check register is and why a customer needs one i recently too applied for a job as personal banker and teller with chase bank and was not even considered for either positions i believe truly that chase bank is the worst bank i never want a job from them or will ever apply again i am actually in the process of being hired by wellsfargo chase bank doesnt care bout their employee or their customers guess i ll write jaime dimon funny thing is the man had the nerve to come and when asked the question if the rumor was true that he was eliminating our jobs he stood there and lied

May I ask what position you held with Chase that was eliminated?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

ppmd in Sacramento, California

87 months ago

Don't think Wells Fargo is any different than Chase; they aren't. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to survive. Good Luck

Reply - Report abuse

b in Phoenix, Arizona

87 months ago

Barbara in Streetsboro, Ohio said: May I ask what position you held with Chase that was eliminated?

supervisor in telephone banking they also eliminated home equity

Reply - Report abuse

cameron in Pompano Beach, Florida

87 months ago

You don't want to be a personal banker at wells fargo. Their incentive plan is insulting.

Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Well maybe Wells Fargo will be better. Remember everything happens for a reason and when one door closes another one opens, and usually it's a better opportunity..Good luck and God bless.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

chicagoart in Lockport, Illinois

86 months ago

I just interviewed with the DM & feel really confident about the interview.
For those of you hanging in there, continue to do so! The D.M. had me grab someone from the lobby and introduce myself. I think they're definitely looking to see how well you interact with complete strangers. Be CONFIDENT in yourself, be YOURSELF, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

The D.M. said she was going to let the recruiter know her decision. I should be hearing from them again on Monday to see if I got the job! If any of you have questions, feel free to ask me!

Good Luck!

Reply - Report abuse

georgeeshes in Miami, Florida

85 months ago

Great info guys, Im going in for my PB interview with chase tomorrow...this is some good stuff!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Stupid in Baltimore, Maryland

85 months ago

Lap,
It sounds like they used a modified Star interview. It sounds like you did well from your statements. Here is one suggestion to finish up the interview and nail it. You know the goals now. Put together a power point presentation that maps out exactly how you are going to not only reach these goals, but you are going to exceed them. That is not being cocky and having a business plan in place will distance yourself from the rest of the flock. List sources of business from the local Commerce Associations and members. List ways in which you will follow up with each client. Add marketing plans even if they are not original. Make extra copies for the chance that several people will be on the interview. Have the PP in color and have them professionally lamented at kinko's or wherever. I guarantee you will get the job if done properly. Remember to always make eye contact, and you may even want to say that, "I know this may be a little hokey, but I wanted you to see that I am not just agreeing to your goals, but I have a plan to achieve them." However, let them know that you are not reinventing the wheel and that the WF business model is the key to your success and you are going to follow the proven model to achieve the desired goals. You show up with 5 lamenated Power Point presentations with goals written out and how you are going to achieve them along with a list of business sources. You are in. Please send an e-mail after this to let me know you got it. I am rooting for you. Good Luck.

Reply - Report abuse

Sandi in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

I had an phone Interview with Scotia Bank yesterday (personal banking officer)and I think it went well because I was prepared.The questions were basic ones about my past experiences, why did I apply for the job my strengths and weaknesses, I have good customer service experience, have a master in econ. and do not have any background in sale.She assigned me a self management test and I took it and she told me there would be another phone interview ...situational questions and then 1 or 2 face to face interviews with managers.
Do you think this lack of sale experience would be a problem for me?
by the way thanks for all the useful hints.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.