Tips for personal banker interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 257)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

summer4me in Pennsylvania

51 months ago

John in Westminster, California said: I got an interview two days ago as a personal banker and here are the questions:
Your name
Why have you chose Wells Fargo over other companies ?
What are your two top strengths that you will bring in for the company ?
If we offered you the job, how far would you like to travel and what is your flexibility ?
From your previous job, what was the biggest obstacle and how did you overcome ?
From your previous job, what were your two objections that you usually got from customers and how did you handle them ?
What did you do to maintain or exceed your sale goals ?
Did you ever see your co-worker do something unethical and how did you handle it ?
Tell us one time that you went above and beyond your responsibilities
What is your career goal and what do you see yourself in the next one year ?

So is this what they ask you in the group interview? individually in front of the group? appreciate your feedback thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Katy, Texas

50 months ago

pyc in Wylie, Texas said: I also applied for a couple of positions in the West Houston area but still no call/email. I did take the assessment but I have no idea how I did since the results were not given, although I felt very confident about it. This is so frustrating!
Jennifer- please let me know if/when you hear back...thanks!

Pyc, I just got call today, but I am so upset and disappointed because I failed of the phone interview. They called at 7:30 when I was busy in feeding my toddler having dinner and the music cartoon all so loudly,plus there wasn't nobody help to take the kid away by keep calling MAMA when they called me. The lady asked me why I wanted to work as PB or so, couple question that I thought I answered OK but really I was so damn nervous. After less then 10 minute I was told that I have Chinese accent as their consideration for being PB to communicate with customers. Sigh I have been worked in the retail for 9 years and talking to the customer was my daily basic. It is the first time that someone tell me I have my mother language accent, well I think I do, but it really that matter, I don't know , maybe it does, but now I just felt so bad and disencouraged. I don't know start from now can I still apply any position in CHASE? That someone can tell me my application would be consider not to accept FOREVER?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

california dude in Bakersfield, California

50 months ago

This question is to those of you that are already working as a PB for Wells Fargo, what is the commission/bonus structure like. What are the top PB's pulling in? thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LuLopez in New York, New York

50 months ago

california dude in Bakersfield, California said: This question is to those of you that are already working as a PB for Wells Fargo, what is the commission/bonus structure like. What are the top PB's pulling in? thanks

PBs at Wells Fargo do not make much. Base salary in lower cost of living states is in the high 30's. In CA or NY I would imagine it's in the 40's. The incentive plan is absolutely terrible. You are lucky if you make an extra $800 to $1000 a quarter. Chase's incentive plan is much better, but they will work you like a dog and they want you to be pushier than at Wells.

My advice: Run far, far away from any PB positions at any of the big banks (bofa, chase, wachovia, wells, citi) unless you enjoy having to act like a pushy used-car salesman or a telemarketer.

There are hundreds of pb positions open in my state -- there's a reason. Turnover. And they are just adding more and more bankers to each branch. They don't care if your individual numbers go down because there are so many bankers at your branch, they just want the branch's numbers as a whole to go up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lvelazq1 in Schaumburg, Illinois

50 months ago

Do the Banks only hire personal bankers that are Bilingual, because I have applied at multiple banks, I have 15 years commisioned sales experience and customer service experience and been in the Top 10 sales Reps in the Midwest Area of 2000 reps 6 years in a row, but I am not Bilingual and so far I haven't got a call even for a phone interview in the 3 months since I have been applying. Can anyone give me any information if they only hire Bilingual Bankers? So I can stop trying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Doug in Orange, California

50 months ago

If the bank has a bilingual clientèle, and most do, and the bank wants their clientèle to feel "at home" so-to-speak when they visit the bank, and most do, then it makes sense for them to hire people who can converse with their clientèle in their native language. This is a people business, and as much as bank people think they are in "sales"...really they are in relationship management, a very different type of sale. A warm handshake, and a short conversation in their native language goes a long way toward cementing that relationship. If you are not bilingual, then apply at a bank that does not have a high % of bilingual or non-English speaking customers. It's really about the banks hiring what THEY need from you...not what YOU need from them. Or, here's another thought...why not go into the interview with the attitude "you already have the bilingual client covered...over half your clientèle speak only English, so why not look at my relationship building skills before disqualifying me because I only speak on language? Tough times, and very hard realities to have to choke on, no?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Schaumburg, Illinois

50 months ago

I don't get it, I have been the top 10 sales rep at my old job 6 years in a row and won 6 all expenses paid trips for top sales performance and had the highest rate of retention among my clients in the region and have letters from hundreds of clients praising my performance. And have never missed a day of work in 10 years and can get letters of recommendation from all my old managers. But I got laid off because I was the highest paid in my salary band and they had to cut cost. But now I can't even get a phone interview for a personal banker @ chase, B of A, wells Fargo, fifth third, first American, Harris bank or PNC. Can anyone tell me what these companies are looking for, I though they wanted sale people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

????? in Austin, Texas

50 months ago

Hello everyone,

I had an interview at Wells Fargo for a position as a personal banker a month ago. For the introduction of yourself you were asked to partner with another person and ask them their: 1. Name, 2. Sales experience, 3.Industries they've worked in, 4. Academics and/or certification, 5. Why they want to be a personal banker, 6. Something unique about them. After asking these questions you were asked to introduce/sell the person to the group. Next, you were asked: what was one of you biggest goals, how you accomplished it, the time of the goal and how long it took you to accomplish it, if you were recognized for it, and what you learned from it. For this exercise make sure you google: "SMART goals". SMART is an acronym for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time bound. Pick a sales goal and use the SMART goal as guideline. Moreover, explain in detail how you set up your goal, measured it (a progress keeper), and how you contacted people and pitched the sale to them (make sure the goal is sales related). In the last exercise you are given a product, in example you are asked to sell house cleaning services. You sell this service to another group member by using basic sales skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bill Dischel in Columbus, Ohio

50 months ago

DO NOT BE A PB. IT IS TERRIBLE.

All you do is very pushy sales, trying to trick customers into signing up for things by trapping them at your desk and steamrolling them.

You stick to a script, and are reprimanded for doing things differently.

If you are considering taking a PB job as a recent graduate thinking it is a good opportunity, PLEASE RECONSIDER!!!

If you like to be a pushy salesman, make people uncomfortable, and work in a very rigid work environment, then by all means be a PB for Chase. Just know the position is not as advertised

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

?!?! in Howell, Michigan

48 months ago

Is it a bad sign if they don't set up a second interview after your phone interview is completed?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

h7mnpxz in San Francisco, California

48 months ago

Here is a review thus far for a Person Banker position at Wells Fargin in CA. Applied online in the career section of their website. Filled out an application, sent a resume and then took an online behavioral test. Questions such as are people negative? Extremely Agree, Agree, Unsure, Disagree, etc. Choose to think as positive as possible for this test and responded how a sales person most likely would. Then I waited 8 hours for an automated email response. This email contained a number which you were to call. Called them, spoke with a recuriter, a very nice lady named Janette. She asks two questions, provide an example of a sales experience and provide an example of how you overcame a challenge? She then setup an in person interview at a speficied location within 3 weeks.
Im now preparing for this group interview. Any useful information as the next steps in the process are greatly appreciated. Is there two more in person interview phases for this position? Once again any info on the next steps goes along way. Best luck to all everyone, will report back soon.

sagar rupani in Secaucus, New Jersey

48 months ago

Hi Everyone

I had a telephone interview with wells fargo / wachovia for a personal banker around 3-4 months back but I dint get through for the second round with the hiring managers . Recently they called me for another telephone interview and now I got through and I have a face to face with the Hiring Manager tomorrow. I got an email saying that I will meet 2 hiring managers.

does it make it tougher because there are 2 managers ?

This is my first professional interview.

Any tips / things to remember ?

ROBIN in Anaheim, California

48 months ago

Juan in Chicago, Illinois said: I actually got the job for a PB today with chase and all the posts in here helped a lot. I was a bit nervous before the interviews but the good thing was that all three interviews were done that same day one right after another. All three manager seemed to ask similar questions just said differently and in different order. Two of them had me do role play but with different kinds of products not having to do with banks. One had me pick a subject of my own and asked me to sell it to him. What I like to do is ask questions about what they are looking for what are they going to use for things like that. The more questions you ask the more you find out about the customer. That impressed them. Also the lobby thing was just to greet people as they came in and point them to the PB's that are there. If you read most of these posts you will be prepared enough, I think. One more thing I used a lot of personal sales experiences when I answered a lot of they're questions.

Good Luck!

JUAN ANY TIPS ON THE PERSONALITY QUESTIONS? WHAT DID YOU PUT? I TOOK IT LONG TIME AGO AND FAILED IT. HELP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ROBIN in Anaheim, California

48 months ago

Barbara in Streetsboro, Ohio said: Congratulations Juan. I also was just hired by Chase. My last interview was a phone interview with the Market Manager. He just asked me to tell him a little bit about my background (over 20 yrs. in banking in management roles). He then asked me why I chose Chase as a potential employer. The third question is what I thought I might bring to Chase in the role of a personal banker. The last question was to give him an example of how I would handle a client that was pulled from the lobby and seated at my desk. Wanted to know how that conversation would sound. (Looking to see how far I probed before offering products). Told me this was the last step of the process and it moves pretty quickly after this interview. That was at 1 pm yesterday and I recieved my offer at 10am today. This site is wonderful and good luck to all potential Chase Personal Bankers. Just follow some of the suggestions and you should be fine.

WAS WONDERING WHAT TIPS DO YOU HAVE FOR THE PERSONALITY QUESTIONS OF THE ASSESMENT?

Tom in Chicago, Illinois

48 months ago

Hey guys I'm writing my cover letter along with my resume and I'm not sure whom should I address my cover letter. Should I address it to the specific branch managers that I'm applying or should I address to the general HR ? I'm applying for Chase btw.

Nita in Gary, Indiana

48 months ago

Ok, ThankYou for the response.:)

patty gut in Irvine, California

47 months ago

Doug in Orange, California said: Hi Tara,
Did you get the job? I had a phone interview with Wells here in SoCal, and have a scheduled interview for Monday, 4/21...I assume it is a group interview. Thanks for the info, I'm sure it will come in handy.

hi, I'm wondering what they asked you for the phone interiew I have one tomorrow... please help thanks

patty gut in Irvine, California

47 months ago

Doug in Orange, California said: Hi Tara,
Did you get the job? I had a phone interview with Wells here in SoCal, and have a scheduled interview for Monday, 4/21...I assume it is a group interview. Thanks for the info, I'm sure it will come in handy.

hi, I have a phone interview for wells fargo help plz what did they ask u

betty in North Hollywood, California

46 months ago

this site is really helpful, please does anyone know how to explain how one has achieved a sale goal, for wellsfargo, thanks

Patty B in Manteca, California

45 months ago

Thank you all for your postings. I have an interview in a week and all your generous comments have really help me. I hope i get the job as PB with Wells Fargo.

Lucy in Los Angeles, California

45 months ago

Alex in Tucson, Arizona said: Wow, I am so thankful for this site! I have a personal banker interview on Tuesday June 29th 2010. I'll read as much as I can and post questions if needed. Thank you

Hi, I have an phone interview with Chase tomorrow for Personal Banker. Any advice on how to land an interview? It seems like they look for selling ability, product knowledge, and knowing something about their company. I am a fresh college grad currently working as a teller at another bank. I had no clue how hard it was to get interviews and be successful in them. I really really want this position so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Jos in Las Vegas, Nevada

45 months ago

It seems that many people asking for help on here have one key thing that may be holding themselves back: GRAMMAR! You can ask anything you'd like and have a fantastic answer to all your interviewers questions, but lacking essiential grammar skills may be the death of your interview before the conversation even begins. Just a friendly reminder that a strong vocabulary and grammatical skills can go a long way in a professional conversation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Barbara in Kent, Ohio

45 months ago

I totally agree...use must also use SPELL CHECK....

Patty in Manteca, California

45 months ago

What kind of questions did you ask during your interview?

Tim in Cambridge, Massachusetts said: I'm 21 and just landed a job as a Personal Banker. Having great people skills will be your best chance of impressing the hiring manager. They want a people person.
It will seriously help to have substantial sales skills and experience in dealing with customers.
If you have none of the above applying for a Bank Teller position is an excellent way to learn a substantial amount about retail banking.
As always, the best think you can take to ANY interview is a mental list of questions.
Asking questions in your interview show your interest in the job and pleasantly surprise the interviewer. Remember, "the person who asks the questions controls the conversation." So be prepared to ask those questions while being able to emphasize your prior sales skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Happytobegone in Prairieville, Louisiana

44 months ago

If you are interested in ANY Chase position, RUN and RUN fast the other way. This company is nothing but a revolving door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alibaba in Brooklyn, New York

44 months ago

b in Phoenix, Arizona said: for working with chase for 4 years knowing all their products, volunteered to do two different events where i out sold all the other reps, being always able to met and exceed my sales quota, being chosen to go to another state to come back train other associates, being a supervisor with the capacity to handle irate customers, having the most depth full knowledge of banking rules regulations, systems, policy and procedures, being not only a regular banker but also trained on the business aspect of their accounts, being one of their retention banker with the soft skills to retain customers,lastly for now being one of the lead bankers in my division i was laid off and my job was given to some one in another country that cant comprehend what a check register is and why a customer needs one i recently too applied for a job as personal banker and teller with chase bank and was not even considered for either positions i believe truly that chase bank is the worst bank i never want a job from them or will ever apply again i am actually in the process of being hired by wellsfargo chase bank doesnt care bout their employee or their customers guess i ll write jaime dimon funny thing is the man had the nerve to come and when asked the question if the rumor was true that he was eliminating our jobs he stood there and lied

This was the longest run-on sentence I have ever attempted to read. When applying for a PB position, it should be checked whether or not the applicant has some basic writing skills.

RudyRmrz in Fresno, California

44 months ago

I am a personal banker with Chase. I love it and my hiring process was very smooth and easy. I saw the posting on the Chase website and applied. I have a bachelor's degree and previous banking experience. I took the assessment test online as part of the online application. It didn't seem very difficult at all: percentages, matching, personal response questions. The next day I got a call from a recruiter asking me some questions: why do I want to be a part of chase, what was my background, what were some things that I could do to make Chase better. She said that she liked my answers and she asked if I could interview with a manager the Monday of the next week. (I sent the application on Wednesday, got a call Thursday and was asked to come back on Monday.) I interviewed and it was branch manager from the bank that I was interviewing at and a branch manager from another bank. Neither were the manager that was going to be at the bank that I was interviewing for. They asked the same basic generic questions: why do I want to be with chase, what are my aspirations, tell me about yourself, your background,etc. I have a lot of retail experience and they were glad to see that since personal bankers all have to sell, retail experience is very useful. They asked me to come back on Thursday for a follow up and I received a call on Friday for the job offer. You make a salary of 29-35 a year plus monthly and annual incentives. It is difficult but if you try hard you can do it. I have never had a problem with Chase and someone has always had my back. I am moving up in the ranks and making much more than I started at but these are all options that you have when you want to move forward.

I hope all of this helps anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gladtobegone in Prairieville, Louisiana

44 months ago

You are in one of their most growing markets, California and Florida. The rest of the country is horrible. Take it from me, they DON'T have your back unless you are a Kool Aid drinker, which is what they want. BEWARE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

what do you mean Kool Aid drinker??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gladtobe gone in Prairieville, Louisiana

44 months ago

Patty in Manteca, California said: what do you mean Kool Aid drinker??

A koolaid drinker is one that just follows whatever they are told without question, a robot. Are you old enough to remember Jim Jones? Take it from me, Chase is a revolving door.

fs in Lynn, Massachusetts

44 months ago

lvelazq1 in Schaumburg, Illinois said: Do the Banks only hire personal bankers that are Bilingual, because I have applied at multiple banks, I have 15 years commisioned sales experience and customer service experience and been in the Top 10 sales Reps in the Midwest Area of 2000 reps 6 years in a row, but I am not Bilingual and so far I haven't got a call even for a phone interview in the 3 months since I have been applying. Can anyone give me any information if they only hire Bilingual Bankers? So I can stop trying.

overqualified

Anonymous in Kenosha, Wisconsin

44 months ago

I had an interview with Chase over a year ago and did ok but not enough to make the cut with the recession and all. I can point out to the mistakes I made and now I would do anything for another chance. I've learned a lot since then through other jobs/experience. The questions pointed out here where spot on and did help me a lot on that interview.

Well, now I have an interview with Bank of America coming up in two days. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows what the difference between an interview with Chase and BOFA would be? Should I prepare the same way, same role playing and type of questions?

Anything particular about the PB BOFA Interview I should be aware of?

44 months ago

Gladtobegone in Prairieville, Louisiana said: You are in one of their most growing markets, California and Florida. The rest of the country is horrible. Take it from me, they DON'T have your back unless you are a Kool Aid drinker, which is what they want. BEWARE!

I don't mean to be rude but I disagree. Maybe it IS because I am in a affluent area but any ideas that I give are taken very seriously. I tell all of my tellers that we are a team and should act accordingly. I think a lot of times the job is what you make of it.

44 months ago

Anonymous in Kenosha, Wisconsin said:

Anything particular about the PB BOFA Interview I should be aware of?

They are very similar. They are both BIG 4 banks so the same type of questions will apply. I have found that the in order to have a good interview it is not always the company, your skills, or what you have brought to the table, but you interviewer. When you walk in the door, if the interviewer is one that looks into you eyes, do the same. If they were joking around before you walked in the door and happened to overhear, try making them laugh during the interview. If they are all business, be all business. Mirror the interviewer and you will do well. When I am interviewing for tellers at Chase I look for people with personality, I have colleagues that like those that are all business. If you have a good resume then you will do fine. That is what got you to the interview in the first place. The whole reason that you are now sitting in front of someone if to show your own personality, your inspiration, and your talent aka experiences. Lastly, I know it is difficult, but try not to be nervous or at least not act nervous, say you are nervous, etc. That is one of my pet peeves when a person tells me "sorry, I am just really nervous." To me that says they are not prepared, or in situations that might cause for moments decision making, they might not cut it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fernando in San Diego, California

44 months ago

RudyRmrz in Fresno, California said: Mirror the interviewer and you will do well. When I am interviewing for tellers at Chase I look for people with personality, I have colleagues that like those that are all business.

Rudy, I'm anonymous from Kenosha (I'm in San Diego now). Thanks for a very good point. In hyndsight I realize that every interview that went well and got me the job I was mirroring the interviewer but didn't consciously realize it until now. I think this also applies in selling to customers.

I truly feel I now have what it takes to land this job. Education, experience and attitude/personality. Anyways... tomorrow is my big day, wish me luck!

sadie in San Antonio, Texas

44 months ago

I'm 22, working as a Phone Banker w/ Wachovia, and when I applied my employment history consisted of a cashier at a grocery store, teller at another bank, and a mgr/owner of a little grocery store that my parents owned inside a mall. Initially I got a phone interview, all I had to do was answer the questions in a clear & concise manner. Also, don't be all business. You need to have personality, because when you are selling to the customer, you can't build rapport by being boring & bland. I got my 2nd interview maybe a week later. It was suppose to be with 2 managers, but at the time that person was out, so it was just with one. That interview was pretty easy, just answer the questions the same way, show your personality, try to be funny here and there (appropriate of course), and show off your achievements, especially those related to sales & customer service. At the end of the interview when you are asked if you have any questions, do ask some questions. One thing I think they liked, is when I assumed the position. I asked "how quickly do employees get promoted?" I forgot what else I asked, but that question was important because that shows that you will be the type that assumes the sale, which is the most important thing as a salesperson.

By the way, i'm a Phone Banker w/ Wachovia (soon I'll be transitioning to Wells) but the #1 thing being pushed is sales. We cross-sell and constantly refer refer refer! I don't enjoy being a pushy salesman but it's what it takes to be successful in the banking world nowadays. Also, the scripts I'm providing here, reword them a little because as a personal banker you don't have to say stuff like "let me get my parnter..." if YOU are the one to complete the sale.

My post is long so i'll post them seperately

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

con't (1)...

This is how I sell various products. "Is there a reason why your full banking package wasn't completed for you? I saw that your back-up account wasn't activated. What it's used for is if for instance you lose your debit card, you know how it takes up to about 2 wks (including weekends) to get a new one? Well we've been getting many complaints about that so now we make sure every customer has a back-up account with a seperate dbc so you can use that one while you wait for your new card via mail. Also, this same account, people are using it for online purchases (you have to be careful when you do those, I personally don't like giving my acct # on the internet cause what if it turns out to be a phony merchant & they drain my account). Also, people use this back-up account for their bills. Let me get my parnter on the line to activate that for you." -- Now I know that sounds super long, but when I do it, it doesn't sound that long.

"Do you own or rent?" If they say "Own" get them to re-finance. "Let me get my parnter to help you see if you can save money by re-financing with us, you could be saving a lot of money every month if we can get you a better interest rate." If they say "rent", sell them on Renters Insurance. "Do you know how expensive it could be if someone breaks into your apartment and steal valuable items? A LOT. It's important these days to have your belongings insured because for instance if you lose your ring or laptop, instead of suffering the loss of thousands of dollars, you'll have a peace of mind knowing you are covered. Let me get my partner to give you more information on that."

(and yes there's more posts...)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

(con't 2...)

If customers object, overcome them. Don't be afraid to ask "Why not?" Listen and act appropriate based off the clues. If they don't have time, say "No problem, when's a better time to contact you?" The purpose of asking why is because we want to find out if they're just confused, misunderstanding, afraid, etc. However, becareful not to push too too much then we already do.

Make it sound like you are doing the customer a favor, that way they think they you are taking care of them. I know this seems tricky, but hey, it's what we have to do to keep managers off our back.

Another helpful tip for a personal banker who have face-to-face interaction w/ customers, build that rapport, be friendly, helpful, and leave a lasting impression. Call them up on their birthdays, send them thank you cards, etc. They will remember you and will also mention you to their friends/family.

(keep reading...)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

(con't 3... and this is it)

Even though we have to be pushy salesman, remember to interact w/ the customer on a HUMNAN level too. Banking is not an easy thing to understand, it seems like it's common sense, but to most who have never been in banking, it's not that simple. Help them understand their account so they can avoid losses. Also, if you get customers who honestly made a few mistakes, please refund their fees! The bank can certainly afford to refund those outrageous fees. Plus, refunding fees & helping a customer get out of a hole will build that rapport we are seeking.

So this is the last of my long post...Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lou87 in mineola, New York

44 months ago

I applied to Citi Bank for a Personal Banker position 7 days ago and havent head from them yet. Two hours after I took the assesment test online i got an email saying that i passed the test and after my resume and application is reviewed i will get a call back if im qualify. Does anybody know how long they take to contact people?? Please let me know so i can apply to another bank. I dont have any banking experience but Im a peoples person and have an associates in accounting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bob The Builder in Latonia, Kentucky

43 months ago

Working for any of the Bigger Banks (ones mentioned) in the PB role you are asked to be very pushy.. I mean discover needs.. Right!! you will not make anything unless you put every customer into something (cc,extra chk acct, sav) that they don't want or need.. Most banks know customers carry 5-7 cards so why not 1 more right..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Oceanside, California

43 months ago

Keith in Downers Grove, Illinois said: Had my interview with the branch manager today, it was pretty short and they did not ask me to role play or anything (I have 5+ years sales and customer service experience) and they said we'll be in touch at the end... what does that mean?? how long before they normally get back to you after the second interview? I am a ready to have a nervous breakdown because I really want this position.

PS other than Chase what is a good bank to work for?? I'm looking to make 40-50k including commision my first year.

Wells Fargo is a great bank to work for as PB... starting is 38k not including quarterly bonus and I make about about 17 hundred in bonus every quarter.

Anonymous in Desert Hot Springs, California

43 months ago

I just started as a Personal Banker with BofA in California. A bit of a pay cut from my last job but I absolutely love it and I am ready to do my best every day.

My question is for BofA PBs in California, how did you learn COIN/SNAP? Are there any resources available to learn it before you get in front of customers?It seems that they train you for everything BUT how to use this system. Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated.

43 months ago

How did you get the job as a phone banker?

sadie in San Antonio, Texas said: I'm 22, working as a Phone Banker w/ Wachovia, and when I applied my employment history consisted of a cashier at a grocery store, teller at another bank, and a mgr/owner of a little grocery store that my parents owned inside a mall. Initially I got a phone interview, all I had to do was answer the questions in a clear & concise manner. Also, don't be all business. You need to have personality, because when you are selling to the customer, you can't build rapport by being boring & bland. I got my 2nd interview maybe a week later. It was suppose to be with 2 managers, but at the time that person was out, so it was just with one. That interview was pretty easy, just answer the questions the same way, show your personality, try to be funny here and there (appropriate of course), and show off your achievements, especially those related to sales & customer service. At the end of the interview when you are asked if you have any questions, do ask some questions. One thing I think they liked, is when I assumed the position. I asked "how quickly do employees get promoted?" I forgot what else I asked, but that question was important because that shows that you will be the type that assumes the sale, which is the most important thing as a salesperson.

By the way, i'm a Phone Banker w/ Wachovia (soon I'll be transitioning to Wells) but the #1 thing being pushed is sales. We cross-sell and constantly refer refer refer! I don't enjoy being a pushy salesman but it's what it takes to be successful in the banking world nowadays. Also, the scripts I'm providing here, reword them a little because as a personal banker you don't have to say stuff like "let me get my parnter..." if YOU are the one to complete the sale.

My post is long so i'll post them seperately

43 months ago

Patty in Manteca, California said: How did you get the job as a phone banker?

My resume that I sent was to the point, emphasized on sales recognition, and my willingness to help others and strongly believing in "sales=service" and "service=sales".

Initial phone interview: Show that you have a personality, make a joke here or there...appropriate of course. Why? Because they want to see if you are able to build rapport over the phone..do you sound friendly and professional over the phone. Be prepared when they ask you why you want to work there. come up with something that's not too out there. I think I said something like "I'm good at sales and customer service, this job is the perfect fit for my type of personality and i find happiness in being able to help others understand their banking needs".

Then I at the in-person interview, it was pretty much the same thing. Make sure to emphasize your strong points (in my case selling...selling is a huuuge thing to them). emphasize that you can work well w/ others or on own. you like to not just meet expectations but you go above it otherwise you are not satisfied. you are confident that you will be a great attribute to their company as you have a lot to offer. And when its time for u to ask questions...make sure u have at least 2 questions to ask. Mine was how can you get promotions (that indicates to them that you are there to work hard and succeed).

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chicagogal in Chicago, Illinois

42 months ago

There seems to be an emphasis on percentage knowledge for the tests. Are questions problem solving to equate percentages or are the questions proposed in a scenario? ie what is 50% of 100 OR If I give you 50cents, what percentage of that is $1? These questions can be tricky. OR do we need to move decimals .01 .10 is what percent of 100?

canno1cm in Trenton, Michigan

42 months ago

Reading this site helped alot! I had to role play with a pen and then a phone. The questions were basic. Spend time on practicing role playing and detailed examples. They seemed to want you to ask alot of questions.

Does anyone know how long you have to wait to hear back from interviewing with the district manager?? He gave me his card and said that they would be in touch. Does this mean I did not get it? :(

Y&S in Brooklyn, New York

42 months ago

i just recently got hired by chase for personal banker position in New York and here are my tips for you guys.

1. Dress professional, a well tailored suit with a good pair of shoes makes a good impression, make sure your breath smells good also
2. Be calm and relaxed, these are top managers and can notice fear and anxiety so be calm
3. ask questions, dont leave without asking questions. One question you should ask is, "In your opinion what are the qualities needed for a PB to be number one", remember this and you will be successfull, a PB must have excellent communication skills very good listening skills.
4. They will ask you questions about chase products i highly recommend you know all about the 4 checking accounts and 3 savings account

before my interview even started i was talking to the branch manager about cars and ps3 black ops, shared a few laughs even before interview started. what they wanna hear is that your gonna bring the big bucks to the company but be a humble team player, tell them that you dont settle for nothing less than 1st place. I was scheduled for 3 interviews on one day with 3 banks after my final interview i was told that the boss of the branch manager wanted to meet me so i drove to him. He was very serious and straight foward but i didn't let that phase me i was also straight foward. I impressed him so much that he sent me right after to his big boss for an interview in another branch so mind you this is my 5th interview so im already tired but i didnt lose focus. The Big boss was a female and very strict looking but like i said that didnt phase me i was straight foward. She ask me why should i hire you? i said ma'am the real question you should be asking yourself is why shouldn't you hire me, with a proven successful sales track record and a aggressive sales mentality all i can do is generate revenue for this company and make us stay number one. Her jaw dropped you have to be relaxed. And prepare for role plays.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

sam in Oak Park, Michigan

41 months ago

??? in Ypsilanti, Michigan said: I applied online and received an e-mail the next day telling to me contact the recruiter. I did so and we sent up a phone interview about 4 days later. I had the phone interview (i posted some of the questions asked on here somewhere). Then I received a phone call to schedule my second interview 6 days later. I had the second interview and I nailed it!!!! Yay! so hopefully I will get the call back for the third interview this week.

Please keep in mind that it varies so don't get discouraged! The first time I applied I didn't get any phone calls back! so keep trying!

can you tell what questions they asked on the hone interview ?

Frank in Rochester, Minnesota

41 months ago

kevin in Arlington, Virginia said: I just went thru my third interview it was the toughest and they guy who interviewed me was the area manager for personal banker.

I did not get the job ... and I know where i exactly screwed up... which I can whine abt and say its not fair. but they Interviewer asked me what have i done to prepare myself for this position?
and the toughest one was he asked me abt different products and insurances.
When I talked to hr department lady was kind enought to tell me she was disapointed that i was turned down and she said the only reason was I did not had any knowledge of products.

My advice from last interviews I have had with few companies is:
Certain things u want to imphasize on:
1. people person
2. customer service
3. team player
4. product knowledge.

WEll i am gonna do some browsing and see if i can learn some of the products online and apply again .

I do have one question could someone find out if u have fore closure and couple credit cards on late payments... will that affect u gettin the job at bank ?

Some companies will look at your credit score while others while not, but it is definitely legal for companies in banking to look at your credit score and make judgements about you based on your credit score since it does pertain to the job in the banking industry.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.