Top personal trainer skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every personal trainer must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your personal trainer expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

ab nker in New York, New York

61 months ago

As a personal trainer you are your greatest advertisement,your biggest selling point.

A trainer automatically sells him/herself by the way they interact with clients, the workout regimes they develop and their attitude and their level of fitness. Most clients will approach a trainer that they have watched for a while and they like what he/she does, that and word of mouth.

Concentrate of developing your own unique style and expertise, keep up with training certificates and new training methods, keep passionate and keep going strong.

Developing selling skills is for salesmen, not personal trainers, personal trainers have clients to take care of and expertise to develop and fine-tune - anyway people really don't like to be sold to, they like to buy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in San Jose, California

58 months ago

Unfortunately, selling has become more important than the actual training these days. Especially working in the commercial gyms. I have seen many trainers that are just terrible at the training side of the equation. I stand back and watch them train from a distance, and they end up having the clients work out their mouths more than their bodies. Just terrible. However,they are excellent sellers. They manage to get re-signs over and over because they are good at small talk and selling people.

With me it is the exact opposite. I am a good, high quality, trainer. I am extremely knowledgeable, I continually update my education, and I am very creative with my program design and training methods. However, I suck at selling. I train at a facility where the demographic is very cheap. The monthly dues are EXTREMELY low and the training sessions are priced very high. Especially for the area that the club is in. So a lot of people get turned off by the high prices. I have given out so many first workouts where the person loved me and my training style and wanted to take it to the next level, only to be turned off by the prices.

Another bad thing, is that the higher end facilities that favor training over selling all want Kinesiology degrees along with the certifications. I have 15 years of experience and knowledge in health/fitness along with two certifications - NASM and ACE (the two most recognized). Yet I can only get work at the commercial gyms because I don't have a Kinesiology degree and most commercial gyms are like used car sales jobs in regards to the training. Unfortunately I just don't have the money to go back to school.

So unless you have the money to get a Kinesiology degree, definitely learn how to sell. You will need the selling skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

jimmy spunk sock in Carlow, Ireland

33 months ago

I think many things are needed for this job,including your own work ethic and providing the best you can to your trainers.You must be capable of providing new skills and also showing how you can improve these skills. :D thank you and hope you take my advice. spunk well !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Keith Green in Louisville, Kentucky

33 months ago

For this job you need to be fit, and cant come to work tired cause for this job you need to be up and active so can fall asleep on the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.