Anyone ever gone through Pharmaceutical Sales Certification course through NAPSRx?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (401 to 450 of 560)
Page:  « First « Previous   6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next »   Last »

James in Raleigh, North Carolina

52 months ago

JBH in Houston, Texas said: It seems that it is impossible to gauge for sure whether or not to take this course by comments posted in this forum.

I suggest you join Linkedin and join a couple of groups associated with medical/pharmaceutical sales. This will give you access to people with experience in the industry and it is completely free. Two groups to start with would be: Medical device premiere talent and strategies for finding med/pharm sales jobs. There are many others you may also want to look at. The administrators of both groups are industry experts and should be able to help answer your questions. I would save your money though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Erica in Boca Raton, Florida

52 months ago

It is important to get Certified only if you are looking to enter a pharmaceutical sales career. I agree that veteran pharmaceutical sales reps should get CMR Certified. The CNPR Certification is for entry level. It is highly respected and well recogonized by the industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dave D. in Hixson, Tennessee

50 months ago

Guys, while you garner interesting information from the booklet, the ability of you being able to gain an edge in acquiring an interview is negligible.

I bought the course, passed the exam, graduated from a top 50 business school, and have 4+ years owning and running a small business. The CNPR exam has done nothing -- I repeat *nothing* -- to give me any additional advantage.

In fact, the industry at large is on shaky ground -- the reps I've talked to, from small specialty pharmas to large global pharmas -- all express heightened levels of uncertainty concerning their jobs and have expressed that most eliminated jobs within their firm are not being replaced.

Naturally, there are always exceptions, but the point is that NAPRX is selling you a bill of goods, worth far less than the cost to purchase it.

ALSO -- you might be interested to know -- while I have zero evidence beyond my own anecdotal experience -- any "recruiting firms" that ask whether or not you have you CNPR, I believe, are directly related to NAPRX and are actively trying to convince you to purchase the exam.

I believe this because -- after acquiring the CNPR -- I followed up with three different "recruiting firms" that requested the CNPR and NEVER got a follow up from the recruiter -- even after emailing each person to ask what the next step would be!

So watch out -- don't get screwed like I and countless others were. The simple truth is that this industry is on shaky grounds, if not dying, at best, and the best way to break in is to have several years of SOLID B2B experience under your belt. Don't let anyone tell you any different.

-Dave

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley R. in Perry, Georgia

50 months ago

The CNPR Certification is not a silver bullet. As a seasoned 7 years pharmaceutical sales rep believe me I know. The certification will only qualify applicants for interviews and not get them the job. To actually get job offers, one should demonstrate excellent sales ability. I also agree that some companies have laid off reps but I know of at least 14 different companies who are hiring for pharmaceutical sales. There are jobs out there! If I was an entry level applicant I would not use recruiters. I would contact the pharmaceutical companies directly. Pharmaceutical companies typically only use recruiters when looking for experienced reps. The companies do not want to pay high employment agency fees to hire someone entry level. I love this industry and plan on never leaving it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maria S, in NY, NY in Encino, California

50 months ago

Hi I am interested in purchasing this book, will you please email me @ maryasinger@yahoo.com. Thank you.

50 months ago

I have a used 2010 CNPR Manual I can sell you for $79. I will email you my paypal address.

Hanni in Richmond, Virginia

49 months ago

Idea: Become certified as an EMT-B (Emergency Medical Technician-Basic) with a local volunteer rescue squad or fire department. It is a 3 month course and typically under $150. The class gives you an overall education on the body and respect from the medical community. Besides, if someone has a heart attack in a doctors office in front of you, a chest thump and CPR will help until the office staff arrives :) Hey! It happended to me. The doc said I saved the patients life. (Who knows - at least I was prepared :)

P.S. BMS hired me directly - a business major. (The recruiters laughed at the idea).

Patty b. in Delray Beach, Florida

49 months ago

Any certification can open the door but the cnpr certification is the most effective.

Mary T. in Jacksonville, Florida

49 months ago

I took the CNPR Certification and the course is certainly very thorough, comprehensive and I learned alot about the pharmaceutical sales industry. I am now getting several interviews after posting my CNPR Certification in the education portion of my resume. It seems to be working. I will post back after or when I get hired.

Mary in Exeter, New Hampshire

48 months ago

Sorry to let all of you in on this, you do not want to get into pharma right now. Just go to Cafe Pharma web site and click on each company's board. The rep gig is on the way out. As a rep of 17 years, working for 5 top pharma companies, I can tell you that CNPR certification means NOTHING. The hiring district managers give that course NO credibility. Plus all the pharma companies are laying off. I would bet you anything those posts saying CNPR was helpful were written by someone who was making money off of the course.

Just check cafe pharam, see the misery as a pharma rep. Yes, we make a lot of money, have huge flexibility, but we also have to act like clowns, hound docs for scripts, lie to our managers that docs see us each day, spend days doing worthless reports, and WORRY about layoffs every three months. This is the truth. Check it out for yourself. Post on cafe pharma and ask current reps / managers if CNPR matters. Better yet, let go of the pharma dream, and spend time training for a real career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pharma Sales Mgr. in Saint Louis, Missouri

48 months ago

You might want to get check your facts. New Hampshire just passed a bill requiring all pharmaceutical reps to be Certified. As far as jobs just go to CareerBuilder, Monster or MedReps.com and you will see plenty. Thanks Debbie Downer for the post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Exeter, New Hampshire

48 months ago

"Pharma Sales Mgr. in Saint Louis, Missouri"]You might want to get check your facts. New Hampshire just passed a bill requiring all pharmaceutical reps to be Certified. As far as jobs just go to CareerBuilder, Monster or MedReps.com and you will see plenty. Thanks Debbie Downer for the post."
Spoken like a true pharma manager. this explains just what i was talking about. this is what you will deal with as a pharma rep. the managers are clueless or they want to remain clueless to keep their jobs. they will tell you to see 8 -10 doctors a day, yet you have access to only about 25% of your target list. this is a fact, doctors follow local hospital rules, and many if not most have a no rep policy. the above poster is just the kind of manager who will tell you to keep seeing 8 - 10 docs a day, which is just impossible. it used to be possible before all hipaa and gov't regulation and Pharma code, but now it's impossible. You will end up lying about most of your day.

as for NH, I work here for one of the largest pharma companies, know a big group of pharma reps, NOT one of us needs to be certified by this bogus course. For the above poster, please post your source on this "bill that has been passed." if that is true (which i would bet a lot it is not) the pharma companies will pay for us to get certified, they will HATE another gov't intervention, the managers will help us all pass the tests as a group to just get it over with because NO ONE CARES about this certification.

I promise all of you who want to become reps that I speak the truth. I am not a debbie downer, but this is how the industry has turned. We are not respected, it is a soul sucking job, I beg you to train in something that will bring you more satisfaction than a pharma rep.

Lastly, forget the fact jobs on career builder, monster, or medreps..... take a look at all the layoffs, buyouts mergers, and constant fear of our jobs on each company's board on cafe pharma.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Blake Cifaldi in Cumberland, Wisconsin

47 months ago

I am currently in my last semester of a Biology degree with a minor in Chemistry. I am just wondering if it would be helpful to also obtain a minor in Marketing to boost my chances of getting a job. I also plan on taking the NAPSRx but don't know if that with a Biology degree will be enough. Thoughts will be helpful.

Michelle R. in Chandler, Arizona

47 months ago

I just got CNPR Certified and have an interview with Warner Chilcott. Has anyone interviewed with them recently. I am curious about the interview questions that they might ask me. Any info would be appreciated.

47 months ago

My brother Lenny just got Certifed and was hired with Warner Chilcott. Are they hiring alot more phamaceutical reps? He said that they are.

jmathis2000 in Long Beach, California

47 months ago

Erica in Boca Raton, Florida said: My brother Lenny just got Certifed and was hired with Warner Chilcott. Are they hiring alot more phamaceutical reps? He said that they are.

I know several people who have interviewed with and taken jobs with Warner Chilcott recently. They seem to have positions open all over the United States and will take people with just a couple of years of sales experience and train them. They DO NOT require or care about CNPR certifications. They train you once you are hired. None of the people I know have taken this certification to get the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stephen M. in Winterset, Iowa

47 months ago

I completely disagree with the above comment. It is important to show some industry training when you apply for any pharmaceutical sales opening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amy F. in Lenox, Georgia

47 months ago

U.S. CERTIFICATION BOARD - Certification and vocational training programs can only qualify individuals for careers in their prospective industries. Such accredited healthcare certifications as listed above cannot guarantee employment. Certification programs will only match candidates to meet job requirements and qualify them for interviews. Vocational healthcare certification programs at best only employ 70% of their graduates. Graduates from such programs must interview for all positions and possess other personal skills not taught in the educational course, such as: communication skills, professional image, self-motivation, work ethic, etc. If you are considering such a healthcare industry certification program understand that at best you will only qualify for interviews. Certified applicants typically must succeed through a multiple interview process. If you have questions you can contact the U.S. Certification review board.

Kherring in Mcdonough, Georgia

46 months ago

Hello if any is willing to sell their manual only please email me @ kherring82@yahoo.com.

nadiahoney

46 months ago

Lisa in West Palm Beach, Florida said: The CNPR Training program is the only accredited education program that is available to entry level pharmaceutical sales candidates. I took the course back in 2003 and the NAPSRx CNPR Training is the reason I ended up becoming a pharmaceutical sales rep with Watson Pharmaceuticals. I know do the hiring for reps in over 10 U.S. states and look for the CNPR Training on resumes. I want to interview and hire candidates who have pharmacology training and exposure to the rules and regulations that reps must adhere to. I recommend the CNPR Training to anyone looking to break into a pharma sales career.

Hey Lisa, did you mean you do the hiring? I want to get into this industry (have a nursing degree as well as college degree.) So you recommend this course? I really want to be a top salesperson in the pharmaceutical industry -- could you please let me know more about this course, as well as any other suggestions you might have? Thanks --

nadiahoney

46 months ago

Richie P. said: I did my research about the program. It certainly is important to have industry knowledge. I doubt that colleges would offer the CNPR program and pharmaceutical companies would sponsor this group if they were a scam. Seems somebody in New Jersey does not like this group. Looks like it is a lady who wrote some self help book. I feel sorry for her if she has to defame someone to sell her own books.

What is so difficult on these boards, as all things on the internet, is to know the truth. I really want to get into this industry. I have a college degree and am now getting my degree in nursing, and have always been in the top percent (if not the top) of my class. So....have just started exploring this industry since nursing is a little sad for me. I definitely have the background and I love selling things, meeting people, helping them, etc., and I have the drive. Do you think, anyone on here that has nothing to gain/lose, that I need one of these classes? It is very hard to trust some of these obnoxious sellers.

nadiahoney

46 months ago

Pharm in Boca Raton, Florida said: (TO BRIAN)
I have been trying as well to get my foot in the door within the Pharma rep industry for a while too Brian!
I am an outside sales for 7 years! And I just found out about this, because a "recruiter" asked me if I had it! (I found out later her site was affiliated with the one that offers this certification)!
I REALLY HOPE THAT PEOPLE LIKE US CAN FIND OUT THAT THIS IS A RIPOFF BEFORE GETTING IT!!
If you are not sure, talk to a Pharm rep or call a serious Pharma recruiter!!
I can't believe people have the heart to lie to the ones, like us WHO are looking to get in! WHAT A JOKE!!

Ok -- if someone derides it, I gues I need to listen. Luckily I do know some people who do this for a living -- will look into it further. Why are there still snake-oil salespeople out there? Actually forget answering that -- they'll always exist. It's just funny/weird that these are snake-oil people selling the ability to sell snake-oil, ironically.

nadiahoney

46 months ago

James P. in Locust Grove, Georgia said: I asked my freind who is a pharmaceutical rep for GlaxoSmithKline and he said that any pharmaceutical sales training or education will look good on my resume. The CNPR is certainly one of the best according to him.

Well of course it will look good -- it shows desire to get into the business, as well as the fact that you have the knowledge. However, what was your training prior to the course? Did you know anything about what you would be selling at all, and did you need to learn the terms? A nurse, or in fact anyone who knows a little Latin, or anyone who researches on his own without paying for the course, etc. -- would they still need this course? What do they teach in it and do I need it? (I have a nursing degree, know meds, know Latin, etc.)

nadiahoney

46 months ago

Pharm in Boca Raton, Florida said: After further review I have found that the best way to get into a career in pharmaceutical sales is through the CNPR Certification. Go to www.napsronline.org

Sorry but some of these, like yours, sound totally like an ad. Yuck.

nadiahoney

46 months ago

Hah -- Chad, I so agree. I forgive a few misspellings due to hurried typing, but my God.....so sad, how dumb some of these people appear! (Sorry, but as a former teacher, cannot help but be revolted.) Now...who can tell me how or what I need to do to get in this industry? I am very hot (I heard it helps to be attractive), have lots of drive, have a B.A. in French Lit which is useless but helps me know all the medical terms, and I am currently getting my LPN so I really do see quite a bit of medical jargon. Would I need a course, really? What does one learn in these courses? If it's just terms, don't n

Chad in Lambertville, Michigan said: Whoever is pushing this CNPR NAPSRx stuff would certainly have more credibility with me if they SPELLED THINGS CORRECTLY! So . . . you KNOW do the hiring? How can you be a business professional and not know the difference between KNOW and NOW? I've seen this exact mistake on other messages as well which makes me think that some of these posts praising a mail-order education system aren't quite right. I know if I was pushing something like this, I'd go pop up some glowing reviews on various message boards, too. Then of course, there's the less desirable alternative, which is that this individual IS ACTUALLY hiring applicants. If that's the case, well . . . at the risk of sounding even more like a jerk, I'll let you draw your own conclusions. I just get so frustrated when I think about all of the people from all over this country that are less qualified and yet make a lot more money than I do. I'm sure right now there's a dude sitting in an office who has difficulty reading words over eight letters long and who makes $80,000 a year. Or maybe he just sits around while the company wastes their money on his salary because he's so adept at creating the illusion of being industrious. Do you people know how many idiots are in the work force sitting on jobs we could have? It's just ridiculous.

nadiahoney

46 months ago

Mary you are worrying me -- I need a job and this ain't sounding good. You do sound honest, though, so I gotta look into this.

Mary in Exeter, New Hampshire said: Sorry to let all of you in on this, you do not want to get into pharma right now. Just go to Cafe Pharma web site and click on each company's board. The rep gig is on the way out. As a rep of 17 years, working for 5 top pharma companies, I can tell you that CNPR certification means NOTHING. The hiring district managers give that course NO credibility. Plus all the pharma companies are laying off. I would bet you anything those posts saying CNPR was helpful were written by someone who was making money off of the course.

Just check cafe pharam, see the misery as a pharma rep. Yes, we make a lot of money, have huge flexibility, but we also have to act like clowns, hound docs for scripts, lie to our managers that docs see us each day, spend days doing worthless reports, and WORRY about layoffs every three months. This is the truth. Check it out for yourself. Post on cafe pharma and ask current reps / managers if CNPR matters. Better yet, let go of the pharma dream, and spend time training for a real career.

Brian Pagent in Danbury, Connecticut

46 months ago

Before you waste money on something that will not help in any way (all companies train), take the time to join Linkedin. It is free and the people on there are real. Join groups associated with getting into medical sales. You will be able to post and ask REAL recruiters and real reps the best way to get into medical sales.

Kherring in Albany, Georgia

46 months ago

Brian- Thank you for your response. I am already on linked in I will try that route first.
Thanks again :-)

Brian Pagent in Danbury, Connecticut

46 months ago

You may want to join groups tied to getting a medical sales job. People are very willing to give advice and support. There are also a couple of very reputable coaches tied to getting medical sales jobs. I know a couple will talk to you for free and answer questions.

Kherring in Fairburn, Georgia

46 months ago

Brian- Great. I just joined two groups on linked in. I hope to find answers soon. Thx

nina in Augusta, Georgia

46 months ago

Blake Cifaldi in Cumberland, Wisconsin said: I am currently in my last semester of a Biology degree with a minor in Chemistry. I am just wondering if it would be helpful to also obtain a minor in Marketing to boost my chances of getting a job. I also plan on taking the NAPSRx but don't know if that with a Biology degree will be enough. Thoughts will be helpful.

I just graduated w/ biology and chemistry minor....so far no job but only been 2 weeks since i graduated..I'll keep you posted on if I get a job...but look into research/lab jobs and also "green" jobs

Lewis Heacker in Kansas City, Missouri

45 months ago

Joyce in Los Angeles, California said: Hi, I may be interested in purchasing these manuals, can you email me at allee@tmail.com so we can discuss the details.

I know that this post is old but I thought if you still worked at Eli Lilly and knew of anyone with used 2010 NAPR certification book I would gladly buy it from them at a reduced price.

Thank you,

Lewis A. Heacker

Candy, RN in Pooler, Georgia

45 months ago

Hi, I am VERY INTERESTED in transitioning from being a RN to a pharmaceutical representative, however most definitely keeping all my licensers up to date cause you. I have only been a nurse for 4 years, specialty being Oncology, which is sad to say, that I have already experienced the feeling of an "old mule" being worked to death. My role as a nurse is absolutely a passion of mine and I would never want to leave it, but I feel that the opportunity for advancement and or higher finical security will be severally lacking. Unless, I want to work 500 hours of over-time, in which, most of my co-workers do now. I am 29years old and guess you could say I have now reached that point in my personal Ego Development Outcome: Intimacy and Solidarity vs. Isolation! :)

If there is any advice that I can receive it would be greatly appreciated. I am looking into signing up for the CNPR course and pursue taking the CNPR exam, was this helpful or beneficial?

Thanks so much,

Candy, RN

Lewis Heacker in Kansas City, Missouri

45 months ago

Candy RN,

I have a strong business background and sales experience but I lack the science background that you have.

The certification is likely more helpful for those with NO experience in the medical field. As an RN
pharma and/or medical device sales companies realize you have not only an aptitude for science but
experience as well. I would try and apply without the course as someone looking for 2-5 years of experience
for an entry level sales rep would likely be pretty interested to sit down with you.

Thats my two pennies...

Best of Luck,

Lew

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shawn in Arnold, Missouri

45 months ago

To the becoming and EMT comment by Hanni in VA, I have been an EMT for almost 5 years and worked in a pharmacy for 5 years previous to that. I also completed the paramedic program. With this background would I or could I be considered for a pharmaceutical sales rep job even though I dont have sales exp. or a BA? Thanks for any feedback

45 months ago

Shawn- I am a RN with my Associates degree currently working on my BSN with a minor in Business Management. With your EMT background I would say you would have some background knowledge on general education of patient care. However, with my research, and this is "only my opinion", I know that majority of pharmaceutical companies like you to have a Bachelor's degree, sales experience, and or a RN background.

I am currently studying to take my CNPR exam. You can purchase the manual at NAPRx.com which is a training manual on "Entry Level Pharmaceutical Representatives". I've only read about 4 chapters, but it provides you with a "general knowledge" of what a entry level PR is, what to expect, how to prepare, and basic information on medications and pharmaceutical products and market statistics. I would highly suggest purchasing this book, even being a RN myself, this book is very beneficial...just because I can give the medication doesn't mean I can sell it. :)

Good luck to you, and thank you for what you do out in the field...our job's are not very respected or considered, so from one health care provider to another, thanks a million!

Candy, RN

Shawn in Arnold, Missouri

45 months ago

Thanks Candy I will look into that. I appreciate the help

Joel O. in Mainland, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

I just talked to my freind who is a pharmaceutical sales rep and he mentioned that the company who hires me will do some training but to better qualify for pharmaceutical sales interviews obtaining a CNPR Certification is important. I am looking at a college near me in Pennsylvania but also considering taking the CNPR course by correspondence. Is anyone aware if it is better to take the CNPR Certification at a university? Any insight woudl be appreciated.

45 months ago

Hey Joel- I am currently studying for the CNPR exam and as a RN already...it is very beneficial for me even having a 4 year background of general health and medications....the course breakdowns what is a "entry" level PR, what to expect, what PR's need to know, general knowledge of the pharmaceutical market, and then goes into specifics of medications, name, etc. I am currently working as a nurse still, and went from working from the hospital into now the home so I could focus more on my studies. I have only gotten as far as chapter 5 but I would say more knowledge is better then none! :)
Good luck
Candy

Jason M. in Delray Beach, Florida

44 months ago

Yes I agree as I am also enjoying the CNPR program and now that I am into it I now realize how important it is to have this certification.

JAPE in Kansas City, Missouri

44 months ago

I received my CNPR and I have extensive drug research and medical knowledge, but i have not gotten any interview yet. A few recruiters associated with the site told me I have a good resume but I need to show industry education and certification. So I got certified within less than 2 weeks and sent them my updated resume and cover letter and they have not responded to me yet. I am afraid that it might have been a scam. Any thoughts? I know there were open positions in the location I am looking.

medicalrepinsight.com in Atlantic Beach, Florida

44 months ago

Over the course of my career, how I've seen hundreds of people get hired into medical sales was based on the following reasons: They had - Integrity, a solid skill set, they knew how to conduct themselves during the interview process and they ended up in front of the right people. Winners always find an ethical way to win by making good decisions... End of story.

44 months ago

The CNPR is certainly reputable but it took me 3 months to secure a pharmaceutical sales position even with certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Jason- In all honesty, what percentage of you getting hired had to do with you getting a "certification" vs your past work experience, your skill set, your interview performance and personality?

44 months ago

I got called in for the interview because I had a CNPR on my resume but the reason I got hired was because of my sales background and interviewing well. I really never expected the CNPR to get me the job but rather educate me to be a pharma rep.

Jape in Kansas City, Missouri

44 months ago

Jason, did u get called in due to a staffing company or did u apply directly online, or apply through NAPRX?

Mary T. in Albany, Georgia

44 months ago

Always apply to the pharma companies. Avoid the middle man and recruiters take forever. Last recruiter I used took me 7 months to get me a job!

44 months ago

That is a very unique story and I'm glad it worked out for you Jason. As far as recruiters go, they're are a lot of them out there so it may take forever if someone is working with the wrong ones. Just like everything in life, its all about who you know and if you're working with the right ones - you'll get your shot. I've worked with many in my years through hiring distributor spine reps and direct device reps.

donnajnagel@yahoo.com in Clinton Township, Michigan

44 months ago

is that course necessary to take to land a job???

44 months ago

The company that hired me called me in for an interview because I was CNPR Certified. I do not think they require it.

Page:  « First « Previous   6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next »   Last »