Community Pharmacist Job Market Concerns

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Tom in Lancaster, PA in Matatlán, Mexico

44 months ago

I will be graduating from a state school PharmD program in May, 2011. I had initially thought of getting into a 1 year Pharmacy residency program in a hospital, and had my resume geared towards that (I have a med-high probability of getting into residency programs). However, due to some change of personal circumstances I am now looking for a Pharmacist position in retail/community.

I have worked with the big/chain community pharmacies in the past (as a tech and later as a Pharmacy intern); however, past 2 years haven't worked due to rotations, as well as I was getting experience in a hospital. So, now I have applied to all the major community pharmacies for a Pharmacist position in Central PA but have not heard from any. Looks like most of them are hiring first the graduates who've been working for them...so, I am little concerned by the job market and lack of responses...is it reason to panic? Do you think things will change as we get closer to May and positions may open up then? Or, should I try to immediately get a job outside PA, and work my personal life around it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ehtostaf in Tulsa, Oklahoma

36 months ago

Tom,

If you don't have to stay where you are, I suggest you broaden your horizon and apply ANYWHERE. Many states offer simple reciprocity procedures.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.