Getting a hospital internship, job, etc.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

ScaredRx in Brooklyn, New York

38 months ago

Hello.

I am a 3rd yr. pharmacy student with a graduation date of May 2013. I have been trying my hardest to score an internship but it has been in vain. I have been looking everywhere from retail to hospital to even industry. I know the job market is rough, but I am petrified of not landing a job after graduation since I have not had any paid internship experiences except the unpaid ones for my IPPE and soon my APPE rotations. I would love to do hospital but the only jobs I am seeing are for nurses, PAs, and secretaries. Since I am neither a nurse or a PA, I was thinking of applying as a secretary to just get my name in the hospital's system so when a pharmacy position opens up (whether intern or tech), I can just do an internal transfer. Is this wise to do or should I just keep searching for any pharmacy that will hire me as an intern or tech at this point?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

andhow in Upland, California

38 months ago

ScaredRx in Brooklyn, New York said: Hello.

I am a 3rd yr. pharmacy student with a graduation date of May 2013. I have been trying my hardest to score an internship but it has been in vain. I have been looking everywhere from retail to hospital to even industry. I know the job market is rough, but I am petrified of not landing a job after graduation since I have not had any paid internship experiences except the unpaid ones for my IPPE and soon my APPE rotations. I would love to do hospital but the only jobs I am seeing are for nurses, PAs, and secretaries. Since I am neither a nurse or a PA, I was thinking of applying as a secretary to just get my name in the hospital's system so when a pharmacy position opens up (whether intern or tech), I can just do an internal transfer. Is this wise to do or should I just keep searching for any pharmacy that will hire me as an intern or tech at this point?

When you say the "only jobs you are seeing" indicates to me that your approach is wrong. You cannot cruise job boards for positions. Write a nice letter and attach your CV and email, hand mail or fax them off. Your letter is a request for an opportunity to gain experience including by osmosis. Include that you be greatful for some words of wisdom if that is all they can offer. Stop by some places CV in hand. Someone could be going on break. You are young and can get away w/ these things.
Pharmacies are in places you might not think of off the bat. Be creative. Investigate. Network.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.