High School Junior wanting to pursue a job as a pharmacist!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

jmp1995 in Pembroke, Massachusetts

34 months ago

My name is Jackie, currently I am a junior in high school. Science's have always interested and I though pharmacy would be a good career path. I believe I have a decent background in math and science. Freshmen year, i took algebra 1 and finished with and 83, and took biology finishing with an 86. Sophomore year, I took Chemistry finishing with an 87 and geometry finishing with an 80. I'm aware i could have done a lot better, and this year I plan on working the hardest. I am taking physics and algebra 2. Next year i will most likely take AP Chemistry ( i know that's important to take) and honors anatomy and physiology. My GPA is around a 3.4 including all other classes. Is this strong enough of a background? Are there any extra circular things I should be doing that would help? I am aware of some courses you would take in a pharmacy program. I am willing to put in my all, since it will pay off in the long run. Help is greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

AJ2013 in Jackson, Tennessee

34 months ago

Hi Jackie, my name is Ashley. I am also a Junior in high school looking to pursue a career in pharmacy. From the research I've done so far, I have found that pre-pharmacy and PhD programs alike require a VERY high GPA. Here in Tennessee, most universities require a minimum 3.5 GPA to be considered for their programs of study (especially those with top-ranked pre-pharm. programs). I am currently taking Chemistry and Pre-calculus and if it is available in your school, I would reccomend taking Calculus. Many programs include several Analytical Chemistry courses, and the more advanced math classes you have been exposed to the better prepared you will be. Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.