Is it Better to Resign or be Fired?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

25 months ago

RPHFEELSHELPLESS in Warrington, Pennsylvania said: My questions for people that have been fired are:
Were you able to collect unemployment?
Yes. But depending on your state's laws, collecting unemployment may turn on who was responsible for the termination. If the employer is found at fault for the termination, you should be eligible for a full award. If you are found at fault, you may be eligible for only a partial award or be denied benefits altogether. You can always appeal the decision.
RPHFEELSHELPLESS in Warrington, Pennsylvania said: How have you explained being fired in an interview?
On advice from the only HR person in the world I can trust, I was told to keep any responses brief. E.g., just say you worked for XYZ for X number of years. During that time you were responsible for X. Etc. If the interviewer followed up as to why you were no longer with the employer, I was similarly told to keep the explanation brief. Above all, do not volunteer that you were "fired."
RPHFEELSHELPLESS in Warrington, Pennsylvania said: Has being fired made it harder to get a job?
Definitely. Without question I am sure I've been badmouthed.

As untenable as your current job may be, whatever you do, DO NOT resign until and unless you have another job lined up. Resigning won't necessarily kill your eligibility for unemployment, but it could compromise it. You want to be absolutely sure you do everything possible to preserve your right to benefits. That is your sole mission in life right now. Therefore, preserving your benefits may mean sticking it out until you are terminated. As a practical matter, you need to stick it out because you need the money.

One other thing you might do is to make notes of any occurance for which you are written up or are otherwise "disciplined." If you can, ask for a copy of any write-up or similar record they place in your file.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

25 months ago

RPHFEELSHELPLESS in Warrington, Pennsylvania said: I have been at my current chain pharmacy for almost 14 years, but know my days are numbered. I have been written up for not answering the phone in 3 rings, and being two minutes late once. My technician called out and I was left by myself, and had a customer complaint for making the customer wait too long, which led to me being put on a corrective plan.

I know that this plan is their way of getting rid of me, and realize I probably do not have much time left. I have been looking while employed (like everyone here), but have been unable to find anything. At first I thought that I would resign when the time came; but after reading posts here where people have been out of work for 3 years, I am now not sure what to do. If fired I am hoping to get unemployment which would help until I can find something else. If I resign I would be left with nothing.

My questions for people that have been fired are:
How have you explained being fired in an interview?
Has being fired made it harder to get a job?

I am curious what opinions you have, and appreciate any advice.

In general, you want to resign on good terms. Five years from now, you may still need that reference.

What you want, is to be on your best hehavior, wink and nod in all the right places and quietly begin looking for your next job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jane Doe24356 in New York, New York

17 months ago

Do NOT resign. Income is income until you find something better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Priscilla in Herndon, Virginia

10 months ago

RPHFEELSHELPLESS in Warrington, Pennsylvania said: I have been at my current chain pharmacy for almost 14 years, but know my days are numbered. I have been written up for not answering the phone in 3 rings, and being two minutes late once. My technician called out and I was left by myself, and had a customer complaint for making the customer wait too long, which led to me being put on a corrective plan.

I know that this plan is their way of getting rid of me, and realize I probably do not have much time left. I have been looking while employed (like everyone here), but have been unable to find anything. At first I thought that I would resign when the time came; but after reading posts here where people have been out of work for 3 years, I am now not sure what to do. If fired I am hoping to get unemployment which would help until I can find something else. If I resign I would be left with nothing.

My questions for people that have been fired are:
How have you explained being fired in an interview?
Has being fired made it harder to get a job?

I am curious what opinions you have, and appreciate any advice.

Pri

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Priscilla in Herndon, Virginia

10 months ago

Let me guess you are over forty?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

City Entrepreneur in New York, New York

10 months ago

Unless you'll get severance when you're let go, it's definitely, definitely better to resign rather than be let go. Being let go will make it much harder to find a new job- at least in my cast, that was true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

natures4fun in Park Ridge, New Jersey

10 months ago

Don't listen to this garbage! Just stick around until they fire you. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to believe they will even act as a reference for you later/remember you. Infact I bet you 1 million fantasy dollars that if you resigned they would bad mouth you behind your back during your time before you leave and then when someone does call for a reference say "oh, he just couldn't handle it anymore we were going to get rid of him anyway." I bet you a gazillion infact, and yes it's not legal but since when is anything HR does really on the up an up? They're only in their position to either hire or fire you, nothing else. Also they need to appear busy by creating fantasy stories about employees, that is their job in life. What a wonderful thing aye?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.