Pharmacist job market in NJ?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (40)

pharmacist NJ wannabe in Parsippany, New Jersey

57 months ago

Just wondering how the pharmacist positions are in NJ. Since I have pharmacy degree, I was thinking of taking FPGEE (I am green card holder) as a backup career. However, some people are telling me that the job market for pharmacists is not really good.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

unemployed rph nj in Absecon, New Jersey

57 months ago

there,s pharmacist glut in nj now to many rph for jobs are to believe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

yardleyed in Morrisville, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

slurpy in Plainfield, Illinois said: You're a damn liar. There is no pharmacist glut. You're full of it. Plenty of jobs out there. Get off your buttocks and find one. Piece of trash!

In all respect, if you don't think there is a glut of pharmacists in NJ, why don't you visit the place? How many NJ pharmacists do you know in Illinois? There is indeed an over supply of pharmacists in most of the North East now. By the way, Chicago now has a glut, too, Mr. Illinois!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chuck Rubinstein in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey

56 months ago

Although I have over 30 years experience as a pharmacist I have not been able to secure a position within a reasonable commuting distance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wstroble in Mount Holly, New Jersey

56 months ago

Chuck Rubinstein in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey said: Although I have over 30 years experience as a pharmacist I have not been able to secure a position within a reasonable commuting distance

I agree with Chuck! I have years of experience in retail, hospital and pharma industry and have been unable to obtain full time position in New Jersey as well. Just finished temporary assignment because thats all I could find! Please send me the job openings in my area and I will gladly recant. Thanks Wendy

SARFARAZ in Clementon, New Jersey

55 months ago

wstroble in Mount Holly, New Jersey said: I agree with Chuck! I have years of experience in retail, hospital and pharma industry and have been unable to obtain full time position in New Jersey as well. Just finished temporary assignment because thats all I could find! Please send me the job openings in my area and I will gladly recant. Thanks Wendy[/QUO

looking for an rph in nj trenton area please email me at sahmedrph@gmail.com

Dr in Lutz, Florida

54 months ago

There is a glut in just about every major metro area. With rx schools opening up faster than pharmacies themselves, and companies making more and more cuts, there isn't anything out there. I am in Florida. South Florida was locked in 2008. I have been commuting to the middle of nowhere outside of Tampa (50+miles outside) since 2008. I have looked into moving back to Chicago, and there is jack available. We even considered transferring to where my wife's parents are in Northeast PA and there is nothing there either within 50 miles. Total joke. This profession is starting to spiral downward like everyone elses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lone Star in Dallas, Texas

54 months ago

Slim pickings in Texas.

The wave of new Rx colleges is only starting to impact the employment situation. Sad state of affairs the profession allowed to develop. CVS and WalMart are about to hit the trifecta on salaries.

GLTA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RPHcrazy in New York

53 months ago

seriously for all the foreign graduates waiting to decide which state to take law dont ever take it in New jersey. I wasted 3 yrs getting everything done and now after everything is done and licensed there is no job opening at all for New jersey new graduates. the best part is all jobs taht are opened require experience which we will never get without a job. ur best bet is texas or ohio or even florida.Best wishes. Job hunting is really demoralising.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

RPHcrazy in New York

53 months ago

anyways if u guys know of any opening in northern or central new jersey please just reply to this post or even sites where u can hunt for openings would be a great help.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

uspharm in Clifton, New Jersey

49 months ago

yardleyed in Morrisville, Pennsylvania said: In all respect, if you don't think there is a glut of pharmacists in NJ, why don't you visit the place? How many NJ pharmacists do you know in Illinois? There is indeed an over supply of pharmacists in most of the North East now. By the way, Chicago now has a glut, too, Mr. Illinois!

NJ PHARMACISTS BLACK LIST FOR 2010

RITE AID
They will only hire new grads to lick and stick and are now hiring high school kids to give consultation for the OTC drugs.

Pharm script
Every where else you are either hired or not,but here they say you WILL be hired, and ofcource nothing happens.Never cancel an interview because of them.

Complete pharmacy resources CPR
The worst agency you can ever use. The agent knows that you are not a match for the position but still asks you to submit all your info plus take two really hard microbiology tests with full marks plus you have to give a current TB test. All this and the agent will never answer your calls or emails and finally you dont get the job!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

uspharm in Clifton, New Jersey

49 months ago

DIARIES OF A NJ PHARMACIST

The average number of applicants for a 15 hour a week pharmacist job was more than 75.This was not an inerview. It was cross examination. Nothing related to the position just rude and stupid questions.

MEDIX STAFFING

These people will ask you to come fer an interview with only a day notice ,they will do an interview over the phone, and although they need a hospital pharmacist and you are retail you still will be asked to go just to be told that in your face from a very unprofessional agent.

To be continued!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lost in new jersey in New York, New York

48 months ago

Has anyone taken the assessment exam for Target does it effect you getting hired and what is the job market for pharmacist in Ohio

lost in new jersey

48 months ago

Is the unemployed Pharmacist from Absecon still around Im in the same situation,did you get a job?

Unemployed Rph. in Middletown, New Jersey

47 months ago

We pharmacist must organize and "unionize" in order to take back the reigns of power. We have allowed the retail giants to and mail-order to have there way with us. Alas, Confucius said "everything is temporary." We must now take political and legal action to remedy the job situation in New Jersey. We must organize and use our collective intelligence to bring the world back to some kind of "balance" or else we will be crushed by the this current economic juggernaut. We must change and redirect laws to our benefits. No longer can we be victims in this regard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

marie1021 in Nepean, Ontario

46 months ago

This is site is great for finding relief/locum shifts. And pharmacy owners can use it too to find staff. I highly recommend it and it's free to use. www.staffgap.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

condorcarol in Bergenfield, New Jersey

45 months ago

Unemployed Rph. in Middletown, New Jersey said: We pharmacist must organize and "unionize" in order to take back the reigns of power. We have allowed the retail giants to and mail-order to have there way with us. Alas, Confucius said "everything is temporary." We must now take political and legal action to remedy the job situation in New Jersey. We must organize and use our collective intelligence to bring the world back to some kind of "balance" or else we will be crushed by the this current economic juggernaut. We must change and redirect laws to our benefits. No longer can we be victims in this regard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I agree Got my pharmD and Rph and years of experience and I can't find a job in nj or ny
going on 4 months unemployed single mom with kid 54 years of age
I say we unionize!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

steve in Trenton, New Jersey

40 months ago

Unemployed Rph. in Middletown, New Jersey said: We pharmacist must organize and "unionize" in order to take back the reigns of power. We have allowed the retail giants to and mail-order to have there way with us. Alas, Confucius said "everything is temporary." We must now take political and legal action to remedy the job situation in New Jersey. We must organize and use our collective intelligence to bring the world back to some kind of "balance" or else we will be crushed by the this current economic juggernaut. We must change and redirect laws to our benefits. No longer can we be victims in this regard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

please email me at greatpharmacyjob@gmail.com

steve in Trenton, New Jersey

40 months ago

Please email me if you're looking for work: greatpharmacyjob@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

michael in Clementon, New Jersey

39 months ago

i cannot find any sort of pharmacy work. i am now applying to jobs that are not pharmacist jobs. i took my pharmd off my resume. does anyone have any suggestions? i cannot afford rent and support my family anymore. this is so scary i dont know what to tell my wife.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

joyce in New York, New York

39 months ago

Ive noticed that the recruiters email give you their phone no and email address never return your calls or respond to your email. Why did you contact me in the first place? If you desided that I wasnt what you want just email and tell me that but instead you call them 2-3 times.

hardwrkrphNJ in newark, New Jersey

39 months ago

michael in Clementon, New Jersey said: i cannot find any sort of pharmacy work. i am now applying to jobs that are not pharmacist jobs. i took my pharmd off my resume. does anyone have any suggestions? i cannot afford rent and support my family anymore. this is so scary i dont know what to tell my wife.

I understand what youre going through it is almost a year and I havent found any full time work. I have come to the point that I have to relocate in order to work which isnt going to be easy but it has to be done. I know it is hardier for you since you have a family but maybe you could relocate and send money back home to them.Nothing is permanent and maybe the future will change in New Jersey but you have to survive now. I would apply at temp agencies such as Lloyds or Kelly they may have a job that isnt in pharmacy but it will keep the wolf at bay. Good luck and God bless

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey

39 months ago

hardwrkrphNJ in newark, New Jersey said: I understand what youre going through it is almost a year and I havent found any full time work. I have come to the point that I have to relocate in order to work which isnt going to be easy but it has to be done. I know it is hardier for you since you have a family but maybe you could relocate and send money back home to them.Nothing is permanent and maybe the future will change in New Jersey but you have to survive now. I would apply at temp agencies such as Lloyds or Kelly they may have a job that isnt in pharmacy but it will keep the wolf at bay. Good luck and God bless

what happened to you? why is this area so out of control with regards to pharmacist work? i really regret doing pharmacy. if i didnt do pharmacy, i wouldnt have this debt and could have worked other jobs and learned a manual trade where i could earn for myself. the loan debt makes me break down when i think about it. i am an adult with no way to support my family and no sort of aid to help me through this. doing pharmacy was the biggest mistake of my life. i wish i could turn back time right now.

hardwrkrphNJ in newark, New Jersey

39 months ago

I am no different than the majority of pharmacist on this forum who are good long term pharmacist that have too shift with the new climate. I ve gotten to the point of think of going overseas for a medical degree,it's really cheap and the majority dont require MCATs. It is amazing that I too think I made a big mistake going into pharmacy,I would never suggest this to anyone which is sad because my father is a pharmacist. You have to keep strong if you can get a per diem job go for it, at least it will get you out of the house and a little money. You have family this is a blessing at least they are their for support. I also think you should apply for any federal job, it is a long shot but they have a pension and maybe you could work for them until you can get on your feet. Keep applying no matter how depressing it is and maybe you will be surprized and get a job.

39 months ago

update: still no work, spoke to some recruiters who told me they have not had any jobs in this area in months. i went to cheesecake factory to see if i could get a job. they told me they might be hiring but they start people as a host greeting people at the door. if you work really hard, they promote you to being a server later on.

target is not hiring either (not even talking about pharmacist) in their stores as general worker. called some places to be an office assistant but they even told me "we need someone that plans on staying for a few years at least, you are overqualified. don't worry YOU ARE A PHARMACIST! pharmacists make 130k a year and i heard you guys have great job security"

so the general public really thinks pharmacy is this fantastic profession of jobs. cannot find work anywhere and i am very depressed.

i stopped by every independent i could find in at least a 25 mile radius. they have nothing out there either. this was the biggest mistake of my life doing pharmacy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

William

39 months ago

Michael,

Try to stay positive and focused, you WILL FIND A JOB !!!
Lots of educated Americans are having trouble finding work, You might have to expand your search to 50 miles away.

Three years ago I was driving 85 miles one way every day to work cause I found a good paying job (850 miles per week) but that job was a stepping stone for my current job with a very large medical equipment manufacturer (I'm an electrical engineer).

Good luck, I will pray for you and your family.

William

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

WStroble in Mount Holly, New Jersey

37 months ago

ALL I CAN SAY IS HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got another notice a better qualified candidate has been hired two hours ago. It's been over two years and I am at the end of my rope! What happened to the shortage of pharmacists we all heard about years ago. It's not like the baby boomers stopped taking medicine, disappeared, or moved to another country!! Obviously the demand is here!! Florida has to send a percentage of scripts to another state to fill the overflow demand! When it comes to jobs, I find almost nothing!! I'm so scared and don't know what to do, pharmacy is all I know how to do. I already cleaned houses to get by, but that's gone. Pharmacist scrubbing toilets! Do I change my last name or do I just drive off the turnpike at a high rate of speed?

Survival in NJ in Elizabeth, New Jersey

37 months ago

WStroble in Mount Holly, New Jersey said: ALL I CAN SAY IS HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got another notice a better qualified candidate has been hired two hours ago. It's been over two years and I am at the end of my rope! What happened to the shortage of pharmacists we all heard about years ago. It's not like the baby boomers stopped taking medicine, disappeared, or moved to another country!! Obviously the demand is here!! Florida has to send a percentage of scripts to another state to fill the overflow demand! When it comes to jobs, I find almost nothing!! I'm so scared and don't know what to do, pharmacy is all I know how to do. I already cleaned houses to get by, but that's gone. Pharmacist scrubbing toilets! Do I change my last name or do I just drive off the turnpike at a high rate of speed?

I am going through the same situation so the only thing I can suggest is get out of New Jersey, I know that is really hard if you have children,a house or family but it is almost impossible to get a job here. Im waiting to be hired for a medical scanning job just to get by so apply for things outside pharmacy. Dont lose faith, youre a smart,intelligent person you survived pharmacy school which wasnt easy so you can survive this and dont give up!!!!! Just start applying for out of state pharmacy jobs dont limit yourself to New Jersey.

37 months ago

Thanks for the words of encouragement. However, I have no work or jobs found to this date still. Pharmacy has been the worst decision of my life. The longer I am out of work, the more my skills and knowledge base declines. The longer I go without a pharmacist job will make it near impossible to ever work as a pharmacist.

I cannot support my wife and baby. We are on EBT (food stamps) and my loans are in economic deferment due to my lack of work. Everyday I stress and pray. All the pharmacies have been cutting back from what they had before and operate on bare bones. When I stop in, asking about employment, the pharmacists are not helpful and very abrupt. I feel they must think I am trying to take their jobs.

I will work for $10/hr less than any pharmacist. Just give me the opportunity.

To anyone reading this. AVOID NEW JERSEY AT ALL COSTS. It is heavily saturated.

611 in Pompano Beach, Florida

36 months ago

same situation here in south florida-----w and c really are doing a job here.target is very independent,publix also...even wal mart has become "cockish"

Useless_RPh_NJ in Florence, New Jersey

36 months ago

Mike in NJ
I feel your pain as I am and have been in your shoes for far too long. All I can suggest is that if you are from Northern or Central NJ, try looking at pharmaceutical positions. I have sustained on and off employment as contractor within medical communications for several large pharmaceutical companies. Medical affairs, Medical Information or Communication, Safety, Advertising and promotion are just a few of the areas that will hire a pharmacist... especially a PHARMD. That seems to make all the difference in the world. If you just graduated, doing a residency or fellowship may also help you. I am not in a good location for those positions, nor do I have my PharmD. I do however have 6 plus years experience in medical communications, 13 plus in retail and 6 plus in hospital... but we all "know" that's nothing compared to the added year of clinical specialty with new pharm degrees. LOL ugh

I have a question for those pharmacists out there in NJ (only please)either working or unemployed...
*** What is the legal implication of applying for a pharmacy technician job or pharmacy intern position with a BS degree and registered pharmacist?*********

I've even offered to work for 75% of rate during first 3 months of training in order to prove myself fit as a pharmacist and hard worker. It seems to me that there is this strange thought process that we pharmacists without the extra degrees, residencies etc are being viewed as dead wood. Is it assumed that we chose to stay stuck in the past and refuse to keep up our education and knowledge? Also nobody ever got back to me regarding the status of how many foreign pharmacists are working in NJ on work visa's and who is employing them.

36 months ago

I live in the Trenton NJ area (10 minutes south)
If anyone out there has the ability to hire or interview for FT or PT pharmacist within this area, please contact me ASAP. I will clean the bathrooms for the first 6 months, sweep, paint, clean, work at designated percentage of pay during probation period... anything is negotiable. I am a single female with petite athletic body in good health and look nothing like my age says. I say that so old age in the physical sense is not against me. I am fun, bubbly, love people, cheerleader like, professional, creative, competitive, intelligent and much much more. This is crazy....but who knows what may come of it. I AM DESPERATE FOR A JOB AS A PHARMACIST! Please give me the chance to work again, even temporary so not working is not held against me for future employment.
Just a comment or number will do... I will add my email in 2 days

sarfaraz in Collingswood, New Jersey

36 months ago

email me your resume sahmedrph@gmail.com

have a store in trenton

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Hi and thank you for the resume request. I did send you my resume twice. Did you receive my e-mails? Please let me know. I hope to hear from you soon. Trenton is approximately 10-20 minutes from my home. I also worked at shop rite pharmacy on route 33 (it is closed now), so I am very familiar with the patient population.
Have a Great Holiday
Wendy

andhow in Ontario, California

36 months ago

sarfaraz in Collingswood, New Jersey said: email me your resume sahmedrph@gmail.com

have a store in trenton

Amazing! ,> <,
; o ;
I hope good
comes of it!

35 months ago

Thanks but I think that guy is the same as greatpharmacyjob@gmail.com in previous comments. Said the same to others... I sent him my resume with no reply. I continued to email and finally received an answer that was silly. He said that the job was inappropriate for me based on the location. I don't think he is sincere.

p.s. Does anybody know how to change your name here? I want to take the suggestion of the nice RPh hardwrkrrphnj
Thanks and Prayers for Us All,
Me

andhow in Ontario, California

35 months ago

Useless_RPh_NJ in Florence, New Jersey said: Thanks but I think that guy is the same as greatpharmacyjob@gmail.com in previous comments. Said the same to others... I sent him my resume with no reply. I continued to email and finally received an answer that was silly. He said that the job was inappropriate for me based on the location. I don't think he is sincere.

p.s. Does anybody know how to change your name here? I want to take the suggestion of the nice RPh hardwrkrrphnj
Thanks and Prayers for Us All,
Me

IT FIGURES! I am sorry. Still it is good you put yourself out there. Where ever he is from he is a WANKER!

ps. no idea how to change name

Pharmacy jobs in Yonkers, New York

35 months ago

RPHcrazy in New York said: seriously for all the foreign graduates waiting to decide which state to take law dont ever take it in New jersey. I wasted 3 yrs getting everything done and now after everything is done and licensed there is no job opening at all for New jersey new graduates. the best part is all jobs taht are opened require experience which we will never get without a job. ur best bet is texas or ohio or even florida.Best wishes. Job hunting is really demoralising.....

If you are still looking for pharmacist jobs in northern nj 30hrs/week for independent please email me @pharmacyjobsnj@yahoo.com with your resume and references.

Pharmacyjobs in Clifton, New Jersey

35 months ago

uspharm in Clifton, New Jersey said: NJ PHARMACISTS BLACK LIST FOR 2010

RITE AID
They will only hire new grads to lick and stick and are now hiring high school kids to give consultation for the OTC drugs.

Pharm script
Every where else you are either hired or not,but here they say you WILL be hired, and ofcource nothing happens.Never cancel an interview because of them.

Complete pharmacy resources CPR
The worst agency you can ever use. The agent knows that you are not a match for the position but still asks you to submit all your info plus take two really hard microbiology tests with full marks plus you have to give a current TB test. All this and the agent will never answer your calls or emails and finally you dont get the job!!

If you have a NJ pharmacist license and looking to work 30hrs/week please email your resume to pharmacyjobsnj@yahoo.com.

elway7777 in New York, New York

34 months ago

There are several jobs in NY city. I advise all the unemployed NJ pharmacists to reciprocate to NY/PA/DE. You will find work in NYC immediately.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.