Pharmacy as a career 21st Century

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

flrph in miami, Florida

25 months ago

The party for retail pharmacists is over. No more sign on incentives of $20k or new cars, no more retention bonus of $20k no triple pay for overtime, no travel time, no food and hotel allowances. It's over. New grads can't find jobs in metro areas. Older pharmacists at $120k are being terminated for policy violations that were over looked for years to decrease payroll and benefit expenses. New hires are being started in the low $80k ( still nOt bad by most standards ) range. What to do? I think technology is eliminating the Pharmacist as historically known. Fewer will be needed with central fill automation and higher Tech( severely under pid for their job) ratios. The glut of new schools and grads will continue to flood the market and drive salaries down as will increasing number of foreign trained grads.
Get out now? Maybe OR... Forget the traditional roles for a job and use degree to seek other positions in industry, goverment, military,, public health like Indian health services. Retire at 20 years on 50% salary. Wish I had done that.
Think outside the box. Get dual degree. Add RX to law, MBA, go Into research. Lots of good use for degree. Or settle for $80k and tightening job market. Keep your head down, mouth shut, do your job, don't ask questions or make waves, don't open a coke before paying for it or leave a narc safe open for 10 minutes or get fired. Don't expect more help to fill an ever increasing RX volume with the GRAYING of America.
Bottom line: think about what you enjoy doing for fun. Inside or outdoors. Music, art, sports, etc. look at all aspects and opportunities within that field. Then pursue a career doing what you like. NOT what will earn the most bucks. Big mistake. $$ does not make you happy if your in a miserable job you hate going to every day.
Sleep on it and decide good luck! Pharmacy has provided a lot of opportunity and flexibility for me. Have I loved it NOT AT ALL. Velvet handcuffs though have made it bearable. Avoid the rut.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Dublin, Ireland

25 months ago

Similar situation in Ireland, where I practice. We used to earn(in USD) 110K+, in just two years that's dropped to a starting salary of ~56K USD for new grads and around 75K for experienced pharmacists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dainty in London, United Kingdom

25 months ago

pharmacy is finished in the US and UK i am licensed in both countries i wish i am glad i am not a graduate starting out fresh,
IT IS finish

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.