Should I start off as a tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Brian in Enterprise, Alabama

41 months ago

Would it be worth my time working as a tech to see if I like the profession before applying to pharmacy school? Also, I am in my early 30's. Will this make it more difficult for me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Disgusted with Pharmacy in Chicago, Illinois

41 months ago

Definitely. Do youself a favor. If you can't do that then just get a job at a local McDonald's and see how you like working behind the counter being a retail clerk. Retail pharmacy is basically the same job. I wish I would have thought about that before I got my degree. Save yourself while you still can. In this job market you gotta be nuts to pay all that money for a degree with the kind of prospects that pharmacy right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

(sry) - pharmacy has right now...

Brian in Enterprise, Alabama

41 months ago

Can't you just work in a hospital and avoid the retail side? I've heard several people say that is the thing to do.

41 months ago

That is probably more interesting than retail...but it doesn't address the effects of the overcrowded field. You might have to take a job in the sticks somewhere. And if you are in a job for a couple of years, have a family to support and a house, and something goes wrong with the job ..like any number of things(jerk boss, you don't like it etc)...with this kind of market..what kind of position have you put yourself and your family in? What if you don't like pharmacy after 6 years and $200,000 of loans later? Is the financial risk and cost worth the reward in this overcrowded market? It doesn't look like the new schools are going to slow down taking money from naive students who just see a starting salary and no clue about anything else. The schools are in business to make money - especially all the new ones and they will definitely take yours and tell you everything is great...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.