Unique Situation...am I doomed??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

NewPharm222 in DMV

38 months ago

Graduated in 2009, took a year sabbatical due to family obligations, just took NAPLEX, working on taking MPJE. My last pharmacy experience was my final year in school on rotations. What should I do to make myself more marketable? Most jobs require at least 1 year experience. Would I still qualify as a "New Grad"?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pine in Miami, Florida

36 months ago

Good Question.I am in a similar situation and don't know what to do.The job Market is saturated. Anyone?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Brookline, Massachusetts

36 months ago

Alls I can say is good luck, I am a new grad and having problems getting jobs to even respond to a resume

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

KTLAU7 in Glassboro, New Jersey

36 months ago

I'm in the same situation. You would somewhat still qualify as a new grad if you haven't gained any experience since graduating. I graduated in 2009 as well and took some time off, received my license towards the end of 2010, and have been searching for a job for months now. I'm in NJ and it's pretty tough here unless you have connections, have already been working for a company as an intern, or have pharmacist work experience. It's very frustrating, especially when trying to get in touch with recruiters that won't get back to you. You could consider signing up to the military as an officer or working as a civilian on base, VA hospitals, PHS, relocating, or even volunteer work. If anyone has any good advice, I would love to hear it. Thanks and good luck to you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

okpharmer in Fort Worth, Texas

35 months ago

If you are willing to relocate, apply for a pharmacist job on usajobs. VA and IHS are both hiring now. I am trying to help another pharmacist fill 4 Oklahoma IHS jobs in Lawton, Ok where they need pharmacists to start immediately. IHS pay is not that great starting out but they will give you a significant retention bonus after the first year if you go the civil service route or you can join as a commissioned corps officer and get military perks but not be subject to deployment. Lawton has a military base and you would be able to shop on post where everything is cheap and tax-free.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NewPharm222 in DMV

35 months ago

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Right now my best option is to apply on USA jobs and see what comes from it. It's really tough out there. I've applied and applied and applied ...still nothing. One avenue I have yet to consider is IHS.
This is truly depressing. I hope the market gets better. I'm not ready to give up on becoming a working Pharmacist. Thanks again. Please keep the suggestions coming.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Semi-Unemployed in Brooklyn, New York

33 months ago

I'm also in the same situation...graduated in 2009. Got licensed in 2010. Was looking and applying for jobs. I finally did get per diem positions but I don't work a lot of hours (maybe 2-4 days/month)...The pharmacy job market is tough everywhere. I feel like I'm not confident enough to practice in a clinical setting where I would like to be since I've graduated two years ago. Anybody know anything about military pharmacy? I don't know what to do! Any advice would be great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NewPharm222 in DMV

24 months ago

Just an update: Looks like I am doomed. I have yet to find steady employment (surprise, surprise). I have decided to leave this field entirely. My student loans are almost out of deferment and I don't have the finances to start paying. Right now I am applying to as many jobs in as many fields as possible hoping someone will hire me. It's incredibly sad I spent so many years in school working on a degree that is useless. Hopefully something positive will come out of this. But I doubt it. I don't even know how to justify the gaps in my resume. Are there any jobs I can look into that will hire someone with a PharmD degree besides pharmacist jobs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hello 12 in Glasgow, United Kingdom

24 months ago

Yes it is so sad, they should at least write the PharmD certificate on toilet paper so that we can use it for something!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.