Which states have the greatest pharmacist shortage?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (32)

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey

54 months ago

I have been looking for pharmacy work in PA, DE, NJ, NY for a year and half. I have experience, the "PharmD", residency, etc. There is no work out there.

I am stuck in pharmacy with my $200,000 debt in loans because I cannot even get more aid to get out. AVOID IT. The east coast has major saturation.

I will work for $20,000 less than others.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Bradenton, Florida

40 months ago

texasdrugman in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Cant believe that about Texas, What cities were you looking at, theye are plenty all over the state. Also since you are from
Florida, Alabama and Tennesee are hurting big time for Pharmacists

I am not licensed in Alabama or Tennesse. It costs money to take other state exams as well as the expense of the move. I just do not have the money.

Florida is horrible. They have opened pharmacy schools all over and they are cranking them out by the hundred's per school, per year.

Walk into any CVS, Walgreens,etc and I guarantee you will see a 24yr old (ish) girl standing there filling the RX's. Gone are the 40+ pharmacists. They have all been replaced.

I walked into Target and there were 3 women lined up along the counter. All were about 24, all were laughing and chirping so loudly that I could hear it 3 aisles over. They sounded like dolphins. One of the 3 was the pharmacist.

It's a shame what has happened to this career.

Reply - Report abuse

abbasmemon in Champaign, Illinois

39 months ago

I am looking for a job in Missouri or Illinois. If anybody knows of a certain area that has opening or name of the company please let me know?? Any other state that has Pharmacist shortage?? I am willing to take that state's license too and relocate?? except for TX or CA... I have BS in pharmacy with only retail background so it is really hard to get a job in hospital?? They don't even consider me or call me for an interview?? I am a very quick learner and once trained I am sure I can do a good job there but nobody wants to give me an opportunity. I don't even mind training for free in hospital but nobody wants to give me a chance? Open to Ideas, suggestions because I must get a job soon!!! Please help

Reply - Report abuse

T15350 in Tampa, Florida

36 months ago

Jenny,

Are there any pharmacist positions available down in Bradenton? The job market is terrible in Florida unless you know someone.

Reply - Report abuse

T15350 in Tampa, Florida

36 months ago

PharmFan in Tampa, Florida said: Texas and California by far, usually 800 jobs for each state, constantly available, Followed by Tennessee and Arizona.

PharmFan,
Do you know of any places keen on hiring newly licensed pharmacist?

Reply - Report abuse

KennyO in Ocala, Florida

36 months ago

PharmFan,

Where are you getting those stats from? I would like to keep an eye on that so I know where the jobs are.

Reply - Report abuse

KennyO in Ocala, Florida

36 months ago

T15350 in Tampa, Florida said: Jenny,

Are there any pharmacist positions available down in Bradenton? The job market is terrible in Florida unless you know someone.

There are no jobs in Sarasota/Bradenton area thanks to Lecom pharmacy school. I saw there were some jobs in Lakeland.

If you are a new grad you should have no problems. It is the 40+ RPh's that are getting dumped to be replaced by the new grads.

I hope Pharmacy students are catching on and are switching majors. Pharmacy doesn't have a future.

Reply - Report abuse

heatherx in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

I just graduated in May from Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. I am licensed in NJ and PA, but I am not having any luck finding a job in the area. I am willing to relocate for a good job, I do not mind moving away if I have too. Although financially it is not ideal, if I am least working full-time I will be able to pay off my increasingly large student debt. Does anyone know of anywhere they actually need pharmacists?

Reply - Report abuse

super trader in denton, Texas

34 months ago

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey said: I have been looking for pharmacy work in PA, DE, NJ, NY for a year and half. I have experience, the "PharmD", residency, etc. There is no work out there.

I am stuck in pharmacy with my $200,000 debt in loans because I cannot even get more aid to get out. AVOID IT. The east coast has major saturation.

I will work for $20,000 less than others.

You either are lying or you're picky about where you want to work and the hours.There is something wrong with this picture your painting.

Reply - Report abuse

curly1 in La Canada Flintridge, California

34 months ago

super trader in denton, Texas said: You either are lying or you're picky about where you want to work and the hours.There is something wrong with this picture your painting.

I know many new grads in California ... the same situation. There are no here because there are pharmacy schools in state.

Reply - Report abuse

LadyRPH in Concord, Massachusetts

34 months ago

super trader in denton, Texas said: You either are lying or you're picky about where you want to work and the hours.There is something wrong with this picture your painting.

You don't live in Massachusetts. The worst pharmacist glut exists here of anywhere I have lived. I moved here (for my husband's job) from Wisconsin where there is a pharmacist shortage. The job market is horrible, management treats pharmacists horribly because they can hire someone else tomorrow. The New England Compounding Pharmacy fiasco happened here and you can point some of the blame on the pharmacist glut. People hang onto bad jobs when they shouldn't because they will be unemployed if they say anything. I can only find Per Diem work or commute 50 miles or more each day in Boston traffic. Pharmacist wait a long time for a job to open up.

Reply - Report abuse

Celeste B.S. Rph can't find a job in Plano, Texas

18 months ago

anon PharmD in Plano, Texas said: No jobs in Texas. Huge saturation here. A ton of competition and new grads willing to work cheap.

Did You finally find a job? Curious... I was initially hired easily back in 2000. Now unemployed, I'm SHOCKED that there are few jobs. Now I'm unemployed with an outdated B.S, pharmacy degree!!

Reply - Report abuse

KennyO in Ocala, Florida

18 months ago

Florida is just as bad. My friend has been looking for 4 months. Not one call. Nothing, at all. A MD friend of his told him one PRN job at a hospital had over 200 applicants.

Reply - Report abuse

asb1990 in Queens, New York

17 months ago

Jenny in Bradenton, Florida said: We were going to move to Arizona and I couldn't get a job. I was then going to Texas and there are too many pharmacy students looking for jobs. I went to Florida and that is a horrible mistake. There are no jobs and no OT at all. The place was filled to the brim with pharmacists and then we get all the snowbird Pharmacists each year that come back. Plus the ones that were going to retire are now staying on. Now Lecom made it even worse and opened another school.

It is bad here in Florida.

Have you found a job yet?

Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

heatherx in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I just graduated in May from Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. I am licensed in NJ and PA, but I am not having any luck finding a job in the area. I am willing to relocate for a good job, I do not mind moving away if I have too. Although financially it is not ideal, if I am least working full-time I will be able to pay off my increasingly large student debt. Does anyone know of anywhere they actually need pharmacists?

Have you found a job yet? I graduated last May too from a school in New England.

Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Celeste B.S. Rph can't find a job in Plano, Texas said: Did You finally find a job? Curious... I was initially hired easily back in 2000. Now unemployed, I'm SHOCKED that there are few jobs. Now I'm unemployed with an outdated B.S, pharmacy degree!!

Have you found a job yet?

Reply - Report abuse

KennyO in Ocala, Florida

17 months ago

The ones that are over 50 are being fired left and right. CVS is so obvious about it that there are pharmacists who are getting together for a lawsuit to hit them with.

The schools should actually be held liable for lying and misrepresenting the horrible job situation.

One job opening at Wal-Mart was for part time (20 hrs) and I was told they had over 200 compete for that position.

This board is basically dead. No on posts on it anymore due to a few comments that have been made by a couple of people blaming pharmacists for this surplus of Pharmacists situation. You might want to post questions on some of the other forums to get more of a response.

Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

KennyO in Ocala, Florida said: The ones that are over 50 are being fired left and right. CVS is so obvious about it that there are pharmacists who are getting together for a lawsuit to hit them with.

The schools should actually be held liable for lying and misrepresenting the horrible job situation.

One job opening at Wal-Mart was for part time (20 hrs) and I was told they had over 200 compete for that position.

This board is basically dead. No on posts on it anymore due to a few comments that have been made by a couple of people blaming pharmacists for this surplus of Pharmacists situation. You might want to post questions on some of the other forums to get more of a response.

lol true.
I'm on all the forums possible. Just wanted to get an idea.
Every forum mentions the saturation somewhere.

Reply - Report abuse

KennyO in Ocala, Florida

17 months ago

Yeah this is the one that gets little action anymore. I have Pharmacist friends all over and everyone is saying the same thing. No jobs, period! Look at what Lecom has done. They have a online, 3 yr program that you only have to go to the campus 1 week per year! Imagine the quality of those PharmD's! It is really disgusting what they (the schools and the board) have done to the field and NO, I do not believe this is the pharmacists fault.

Reply - Report abuse

Celeste B.S. Rph in Plano, Texas

17 months ago

dallaspbmrph in Dallas, Texas said: I was recently laid off due to merger in PBM industry. I live in Dallas but am willing to relocate. I have the lowly and aged BS degree. Are there jobs in TX? I was even looking at the Rio Grande Valley and did not find anything.

All the PBM jobs are contracts now. I bet You found a job since your post. I have decided to leave DFW for San Antonio. If All you have is recent retail exp. ...you're pretty much stuck. I could not deal a PBM 6 month contract for 50% less $/hr.

Reply - Report abuse

poojasunflower in Mason, Ohio

15 months ago

I am looking for a job for quite some time now. Still no luck.

Reply - Report abuse

rx in misery in Johnson City, Tennessee

14 months ago

quest in Spartanburg, South Carolina said: Believe me, there is NO shortage of pharmacists in TN. AND TN just opened 4 or 5 more pharmacy schools about 3 years ago. If anything there is a glut of pharmacists in TN. Florida is load with jobs though

The only Rx job openings in TN are in Memphis - the 2nd most dangerous city in the country - the murder rate is astronomical. I worked there out of desperation for a little over a year. There are 5 new pharm schools in TN and they will fire you as soon as look at you. You better be Superman to keep a job in pharmacy in TN. The work load is overwhelming and they hire as few techs as possible. I have over 30 years experience in just about all aspects of pharmacy pulling 7 12's at NIGHT. Go somewhere else, there is no future in TN.

Reply - Report abuse

KennyO in Ocala, Florida

14 months ago

Hi RX in Misery,

I don't know where you heard there were jobs in Florida, but I live and work here and I can tell you, there are no jobs. My friend applied for a 2 day a week, WalMart Pharmacist job and he has connections (3 referrals from current Pharmacists and a store manager) and he did not even get an interview. Over 200 people applied!

You have to remember that Florida keeps opening schools and they keep pumping out new grads. One CVS DM was heard saying he didn't want a Pharmacist in his district over 28 yrs old.

We have LeCom that is proudly saying they have an "ONLINE" Pharmacy school. 3 yrs and you only have to go to campus 1 week per year. Imagine the quality of those " PharmD's! LOL

Anyway, just wanted to chime and and tell everyone there are NO jobs in Florida and if you are over 40 and in Florida working, hang on to your job the best you can because CVS, WG, WM, etc. will fire you the first chance they can.

Reply - Report abuse

KennyO in Ocala, Florida

14 months ago

PS. I also wanted to tell everyone to be really careful of Benzer Pharmacy. They post jobs in Florida, Georgia, etc. First of all, they actually operate under 2 different names. So if you go to Glass Door and try to look at their reviews, a company called "RX consultants" will also come up. Well, they are having someone remove the bad reviews because I personally know of 3 pharmacists who have left negative reviews and the reviews are all removed.

Quickly, I will tell you that they hired a guy I know. He was replacing a woman who had a visa expire. So this guy told them that he was relocating his family from Destin to Miami for a job and asked them if they were 100% sure that it was permanent.

They reassured him that it was permanent and he moved, listed his house for sale and signed a lease at a new place.

He worked 6 days, was taken off the schedule and was terminated. Who replaced him???? Well, the woman who had the expired visa, suddenly got it renewed and they let him go. He ws locked into a lease for $1,700 a month for 13 months and he had to move back to Destin.

Benzer told him he was "having grasping issues with the computer".....well he has a 2nd BS degree in IT. So he knew that "grasping comment was a lie". Then we ended up finding 2 more guys we knew also go jobs there and were let go all for the same " grasping" excuse.

I think everyone who works there has a last name of "Patel" and if it is not, then you will probably be fired quickly.

They didn't give out pay stubs, every time he asked a question, he got 2-3 different answers, $50 an hr and no benefits, and their HR director was a tech and she is the one who does the schedules and people get their schedules on Friday for the following week. If you were not on the schedule, then you have been terminated.

My brother in law is an attorney and wants them to file a lawsuit.

But just so everyone knows, Glassdoor is playing games because we know of 3 reviews that have disappeared.

Reply - Report abuse

FaFa D in San Jose, California

8 months ago

Hi Every one,
I am a master student in chemical engineering, and I was thinking of applying to pharmacy schools. I heard on the news, that the number of pharmacy students graduating from the university are more than the number of positions available. However, I see people who have graduated few years ago, and they are very happy. Do you guys recomend it?

Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Ayer, Massachusetts

8 months ago

FaFa in San Jose,

Please check out the Aggregate Demand Index for Pharmacists. Google the website. It has been estimated in some pharmacy journals that in 2018 there will be 25% more pharmacists than jobs. I live in Massachusetts with too many pharmacy schools and no jobs. What is Massachusetts doing? Opening another pharmacy school. The demand index gives a balanced supply and demand of pharmacists a 3, Massachusetts has a 1.5. Lots of students with 200K or more in debt and they must move or work at Starbucks. Is that a gamble you want to take. By the way salaries here are falling fast.

Reply - Report abuse

dsrpharmd@*****.*** in Southington, Connecticut

7 months ago

Jenny in Bradenton, Florida said: I am not licensed in Alabama or Tennesse. It costs money to take other state exams as well as the expense of the move. I just do not have the money.

Florida is horrible. They have opened pharmacy schools all over and they are cranking them out by the hundred's per school, per year.

Walk into any CVS , Walgreens,etc and I guarantee you will see a 24yr old (ish) girl standing there filling the RX's. Gone are the 40+ pharmacists. They have all been replaced.

I walked into Target and there were 3 women lined up along the counter. All were about 24, all were laughing and chirping so loudly that I could hear it 3 aisles over. They sounded like dolphins. One of the 3 was the pharmacist.

It's a shame what has happened to this career.

I am in the same position. I want to get licensed in Alaska (because I heard there were plenty of jobs). It costs $300 to send your application in. Then you have to pay to transfer your NAPLEX score and pay to take the MPJE. Kinda hard to do with a ton of debt and not working in your field with no guarantee of a job. However, the licensing examiner is very nice and understanding. She told me I can start sending in my application and she will start a file until I can get enough money to proceed.

Reply - Report abuse

dsrpharmd@*****.*** in Southington, Connecticut

7 months ago

KennyO in Ocala, Florida said: There are no jobs in Sarasota/Bradenton area thanks to Lecom pharmacy school. I saw there were some jobs in Lakeland.

If you are a new grad you should have no problems. It is the 40+ RPh's that are getting dumped to be replaced by the new grads.

I hope Pharmacy students are catching on and are switching majors. Pharmacy doesn't have a future.

You are absolutely correct. Retail chains love new grads. I'm 40 and I have a PharmD. I can't find a job. Having a PharmD. won't get you a hospital job without a residency. In my opinion a Bachelors and experience is just as good.

Reply - Report abuse

KennyO in Ocala, Florida

7 months ago

I understand 100% and I can tell you also to be really careful of who you take a job with. There is no guarantee that you will not be replaced with someone cheaper and you will have footed the bill for the relocation,etc.

A friend of mine went through that with Benzer Pharmacy. They interviewed him in one city (2 hrs from his home) then had a second interview in another city, 2 hrs away. Then hired him and had him train in another city, 2 hrs north of his home. Once he was trained they told him they were transferring him 2 hrs from his home (mind you these were all different locations they were sending him to) He talked with them and said if he went to that location, he would have to sell his home and relocate to that area and he wanted to make sure that this was a permanent job.

He supposedly was hired to replace a woman whose visa had expired. So they said everything was fine and he should proceed with the relocation. He listed his house, signed a 13 month lease ($1,800 a month which was the cheapest he could find 1 bed/1 bath).....hooked up cable, furnished it,etc. 5 days later his name wasn't on the schedule....he called and he was getting the run around. He was replaced by.....drum roll please.....the woman with the expired visa! Seems she was able to get her visa renewed.

He was on the hook for the lease for 13 months plus the cable, utilities etc.

That was over 20K he lost and there was no writing any of it off on his taxes. He as just out the money and Benzer Pharmacy was happy because they were able to screw him until one of their buddies got her visa renewed.

Benzer is known for hiring only H1B Visa workers from India. They open new pharmacies all the time and either sell the pharmacy to someone from India so they can get a visa or they open them on their own to keep and hire in H1B pharmacists.

So the moral of the story is...be very very careful if you have to relocate for a job. There is no guarantee that they won't replace you!

Reply - Report abuse

KennyO in Ocala, Florida

7 months ago

PS Don't even consider a job with CVS....they are on the H1B band wagon and booting experienced pharmacists to hire in the 23 yr olds or the H1B visa Pharmacists to get the cheapest pharmacists that they can get. They (MANAGEMENT) are like snakes and will bite your head off as soon as they can find someone to replace you.

Reply - Report abuse

jsalvatore in Warren, Ohio

4 days ago

I am a pharmacist looking for employment in any pharmacy setting. Very little experience in pharmacy. I was a Chiropractor for 20 years. I would be a very loyal and hard working pharmacist. Once employed, I will not be looking for further employment.

Reply - Report abuse

Nobody Knows the Troubles I've Seen in Austin, Texas

4 days ago

jsalvatore in Warren, Ohio said: I am a pharmacist looking for employment in any pharmacy setting. Very little experience in pharmacy. I was a Chiropractor for 20 years. I would be a very loyal and hard working pharmacist. Once employed, I will not be looking for further employment.

Get in line, bubz. We've got experienced hard working pharmacist that ain't gotz no jab. There's a lot of pain and suffering outz there. You know how it iz. Whitey, keeping us down and all. Keep it realz, bro.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.