Which states have the greatest pharmacist shortage?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (27)

omaar in Winchester, Kentucky

58 months ago

we have a position available with excellent salary in Jackson, KY. aoarif@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Doug in Quincy, Massachusetts

41 months ago

At Christmas I was told by my technician that my hours would be given to full-timers and I'd only get hours if any where left over in the pool. So I am looking to relocate since the job market here in Mass is horrible. Which states are in greatest need ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

PharmFan in Tampa, Florida

38 months ago

Texas and California by far, usually 800 jobs for each state, constantly available, Followed by Tennessee and Arizona.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

quest in Spartanburg, South Carolina

38 months ago

PharmFan in Tampa, Florida said: Texas and California by far, usually 800 jobs for each state, constantly available, Followed by Tennessee and Arizona.

Believe me, there is NO shortage of pharmacists in TN. AND TN just opened 4 or 5 more pharmacy schools about 3 years ago. If anything there is a glut of pharmacists in TN. Florida is load with jobs though

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Bunny in Edmond, Oklahoma

38 months ago

Omnicare CIC in Oklahoma City is & has been deperately seeking pharmacists with a California License. Contact Michelle.Dupuy@Omnicare.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

UEPharmD in New York, New York

31 months ago

any new update on which city/state has the greatest pharmacy shortage? looking to relocate! Want to move to MA, anybody have any idea what the job market is like there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LadyRPH in Ayer, Massachusetts

29 months ago

UEPharmD in New York, New York said: any new update on which city/state has the greatest pharmacy shortage? looking to relocate! Want to move to MA, anybody have any idea what the job market is like there?

I moved to MA from the Midwest. Unless you have a hospital residency, don't come here. Oncology Anticoagulation or Transplant inpatient residency experience are the jobs in demand. No shortage of RPh's here. I can't get an interview in MA with a clean record, Master's Degree and clinical experience. If you are a BS pharmacist, nobody wants you. I was told by a pharmacist, who is a recruiter, that I should "hide" my BS degree on my resume. Going back for the PharmD.

I moved for my husband's job. I am looking to work part-time thought part-time would be easier to find, will take full-time gladly if offered. Have some LTC work lined up in the Midwest. Will miss my husband and son.

A note of sad humor, my inbox is full of advertisements for on-line pharmacy technician training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

texasdrugman in Austin, Texas

29 months ago

Tx,CA,TN,GA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

RphPaNY in Perkasie, Pennsylvania

29 months ago

I have been looking for a pharmacy job in Pa for over a year. I am licensed in a few other states but if anyone has any information as to which states are really in need I could use the help. I have no problem with relicensing or relocating. Help..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dallaspbmrph in Dallas, Texas

27 months ago

I was recently laid off due to merger in PBM industry. I live in Dallas but am willing to relocate. I have the lowly and aged BS degree. Are there jobs in TX? I was even looking at the Rio Grande Valley and did not find anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Bradenton, Florida

25 months ago

We were going to move to Arizona and I couldn't get a job. I was then going to Texas and there are too many pharmacy students looking for jobs. I went to Florida and that is a horrible mistake. There are no jobs and no OT at all. The place was filled to the brim with pharmacists and then we get all the snowbird Pharmacists each year that come back. Plus the ones that were going to retire are now staying on. Now Lecom made it even worse and opened another school.

It is bad here in Florida.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

anon PharmD in Plano, Texas

25 months ago

No jobs in Texas. Huge saturation here. A ton of competition and new grads willing to work cheap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey

25 months ago

I have been looking for pharmacy work in PA, DE, NJ, NY for a year and half. I have experience, the "PharmD", residency, etc. There is no work out there.

I am stuck in pharmacy with my $200,000 debt in loans because I cannot even get more aid to get out. AVOID IT. The east coast has major saturation.

I will work for $20,000 less than others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

texasdrugman in Las Vegas, Nevada

25 months ago

Sounds like you need to move. Check out RxCareer Center and click on states to view jobs. Texas by far has the most Pharmacist jobs, hundreds. You will have to make a decision to leave the East Coast for awhile to get back on the right track. Or you can try Rph on The Go, Also google government contract jobs for Pharmacist, if you work on contract for VA or armed forces as civilian, you will not have to get licensed in the state you will work in, Government Pharmacy Laws preclude State laws, all you will need to have is one valid license, and you can work in any state. just a few suggestions from a seasoned Pharmacist. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

texasdrugman in Las Vegas, Nevada

25 months ago

Jenny in Bradenton, Florida said: We were going to move to Arizona and I couldn't get a job. I was then going to Texas and there are too many pharmacy students looking for jobs. I went to Florida and that is a horrible mistake. There are no jobs and no OT at all. The place was filled to the brim with pharmacists and then we get all the snowbird Pharmacists each year that come back. Plus the ones that were going to retire are now staying on. Now Lecom made it even worse and opened another school.

It is bad here in Florida.

Cant believe that about Texas, What cities were you looking at, theye are plenty all over the state. Also since you are from
Florida, Alabama and Tennesee are hurting big time for Pharmacists

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Misled Duped Betrayed New Graduates in Chicago, Illinois

24 months ago

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey said: I have been looking for pharmacy work in PA, DE, NJ, NY for a year and half. I have experience, the "PharmD", residency, etc. There is no work out there.

I am stuck in pharmacy with my $200,000 debt in loans because I cannot even get more aid to get out. AVOID IT.

@Michael, if you don't mind moving anywhere in the country and go through licensing process then there is at least one area that I know you might have a chance. I hope you got licensed in more than one state to begin with. If not and willing to do it, I suggest that you do more than one other state.
I have 5. I would say at least 3. If you are willing to move and work night shift. Then I would say look at west Texas. Anywhere W of Dallas, Austin, San Antonio and Houston. There is a school of pharmacy up in Amarillo with a 2nd campus in that area. But, There are having more schools opening up in addition to the ones that have already been added to the first set of schools that were there originally. Those positions are disappearing fast. One thing you can count on is that right now they have somewhat of a turnover. New grads. from TX who take a position in W Texas out of desperation are not keeping the job more than 2 years. They have no idea how good they had it. Apply directly to the hospital pharmacy manager. Bypass HR, and any kind of recruiters. It is not that hard to find out who has openings, it is just time consuming. One last suggestion, if you do land a job out there, I would not be leaving anytime soon. With the amount of loans you have, I will put settle anywhere I end up. Once you do get that job, I would also start planning long term. Start studying/learn another profession/skill outside healthcare if you can, or at least something that you can apply your healthcare experience (not just pharmacy). Good luck .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mike d in Houston, Texas

23 months ago

omaar in Winchester, Kentucky said: we have a position available with excellent salary in Jackson, KY. aoarif@yahoo.com

is this position still available. my roomate is over 60 and we are both born and raised in houston texas. michael de los santos, michaeldelossantos2001@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Bradenton, Florida

11 months ago

texasdrugman in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Cant believe that about Texas, What cities were you looking at, theye are plenty all over the state. Also since you are from
Florida, Alabama and Tennesee are hurting big time for Pharmacists

I am not licensed in Alabama or Tennesse. It costs money to take other state exams as well as the expense of the move. I just do not have the money.

Florida is horrible. They have opened pharmacy schools all over and they are cranking them out by the hundred's per school, per year.

Walk into any CVS, Walgreens,etc and I guarantee you will see a 24yr old (ish) girl standing there filling the RX's. Gone are the 40+ pharmacists. They have all been replaced.

I walked into Target and there were 3 women lined up along the counter. All were about 24, all were laughing and chirping so loudly that I could hear it 3 aisles over. They sounded like dolphins. One of the 3 was the pharmacist.

It's a shame what has happened to this career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Abbas Memon in Champaign, Illinois

10 months ago

I am looking for a job in Missouri or Illinois. If anybody knows of a certain area that has opening or name of the company please let me know?? Any other state that has Pharmacist shortage?? I am willing to take that state's license too and relocate?? except for TX or CA... I have BS in pharmacy with only retail background so it is really hard to get a job in hospital?? They don't even consider me or call me for an interview?? I am a very quick learner and once trained I am sure I can do a good job there but nobody wants to give me an opportunity. I don't even mind training for free in hospital but nobody wants to give me a chance? Open to Ideas, suggestions because I must get a job soon!!! Please help

T15350 in Tampa, Florida

7 months ago

Jenny,

Are there any pharmacist positions available down in Bradenton? The job market is terrible in Florida unless you know someone.

T15350 in Tampa, Florida

7 months ago

PharmFan in Tampa, Florida said: Texas and California by far, usually 800 jobs for each state, constantly available, Followed by Tennessee and Arizona.

PharmFan,
Do you know of any places keen on hiring newly licensed pharmacist?

KennyO in Ocala, Florida

7 months ago

PharmFan,

Where are you getting those stats from? I would like to keep an eye on that so I know where the jobs are.

KennyO in Ocala, Florida

7 months ago

T15350 in Tampa, Florida said: Jenny,

Are there any pharmacist positions available down in Bradenton? The job market is terrible in Florida unless you know someone.

There are no jobs in Sarasota/Bradenton area thanks to Lecom pharmacy school. I saw there were some jobs in Lakeland.

If you are a new grad you should have no problems. It is the 40+ RPh's that are getting dumped to be replaced by the new grads.

I hope Pharmacy students are catching on and are switching majors. Pharmacy doesn't have a future.

heatherx in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

6 months ago

I just graduated in May from Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. I am licensed in NJ and PA, but I am not having any luck finding a job in the area. I am willing to relocate for a good job, I do not mind moving away if I have too. Although financially it is not ideal, if I am least working full-time I will be able to pay off my increasingly large student debt. Does anyone know of anywhere they actually need pharmacists?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

super trader in denton, Texas

5 months ago

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey said: I have been looking for pharmacy work in PA, DE, NJ, NY for a year and half. I have experience, the "PharmD", residency, etc. There is no work out there.

I am stuck in pharmacy with my $200,000 debt in loans because I cannot even get more aid to get out. AVOID IT. The east coast has major saturation.

I will work for $20,000 less than others.

You either are lying or you're picky about where you want to work and the hours.There is something wrong with this picture your painting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Curly1 in La Canada Flintridge, California

5 months ago

super trader in denton, Texas said: You either are lying or you're picky about where you want to work and the hours.There is something wrong with this picture your painting.

I know many new grads in California ... the same situation. There are no here because there are pharmacy schools in state.

LadyRPH in Concord, Massachusetts

5 months ago

super trader in denton, Texas said: You either are lying or you're picky about where you want to work and the hours.There is something wrong with this picture your painting.

You don't live in Massachusetts. The worst pharmacist glut exists here of anywhere I have lived. I moved here (for my husband's job) from Wisconsin where there is a pharmacist shortage. The job market is horrible, management treats pharmacists horribly because they can hire someone else tomorrow. The New England Compounding Pharmacy fiasco happened here and you can point some of the blame on the pharmacist glut. People hang onto bad jobs when they shouldn't because they will be unemployed if they say anything. I can only find Per Diem work or commute 50 miles or more each day in Boston traffic. Pharmacist wait a long time for a job to open up.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.