I am a high school student. Should I take basic physics or regular physics?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 86)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Andi in Honolulu, Hawaii

79 months ago

Thank you so much for your reply. I guess I won't be changing my schedule for next year then.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Mana in Ottawa, Ontario

73 months ago

HI......do i have to take physics grade 12 if i already took grade 11 physics to graduate from highschool because i want tp be a pharmecist in university and iam realy cofuse about it....ill appreciate if you help me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

xassdvfs in Dublin, Ireland

71 months ago

it is difficult to become a pharmacist perhaps working as a pharm tech or OTC assistant would be more suitable?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

jenny in Mississauga, Ontario

70 months ago

i am in the 9th grade... if i take APPLIED french.. will that ruin my chance to get into a university and become a pharmacist?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Monroe Township, New Jersey

69 months ago

I just graduated last year from highschool and I am attending University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (USP) for the 6 year Pharm. D program.. I had A's and B's in highschool, had about 1250 SAT. I just finished the first semester at USP so i can help you guys out as to what to expect..
You have to take general bio and general chem your first year, you have to study a good amount for exams, but as long as you study your fine, nothing too difficult to understand in general sciences. If you take AP chem or AP bio it helps alot in these classes because you pretty much learned it all in highschool, but if you didnt take AP classes in highschool its no big deal.
Its a pretty hard cirriculum to graduate as a pharmacist and it only gets harder as you progress through the years, you just have to be ready to study alot and be dedicated. You can still go out and enjoy being a college student, just some nights you must sacrafice for studying.
oh yea, for those looking into an education in pharmacy, look into schools that have 6 year programs such as USP, or MCPHS in boston, i believe rutgers has a 6 year program.. you are guarenteed your pharmacy degree, just need to keep the certain grade requirements.. at USP i have to keep a 3.0 overall and I can progress into my professional years, no PCAT required or application after my second year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (63) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Andi in Honolulu, Hawaii

69 months ago

Here again. Well, I've just experienced half a semester of physics (not basic; switched class on the first day of school), and I must say that I rather enjoy it. So much that for a while I wanted to become an engineer instead (but then I was talked out of that because of their instability). Although it is very challenging, as long as you've taken algebra 2 (and recieved A's), it will be relatively easy (in precalculus at the moment). Taking AP Chemistry next year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Andi in Honolulu, Hawaii

69 months ago

Oh yeah, I applied to job shadow a pharmacist. Would that be helpful?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany Doby in Gilbert, Arizona

68 months ago

hi im a sophmore in high school and i really want to be a pharmacist
im taking:
pre calculus
spanish 3
chemistry
etc.this year so what should i take next year in order to get into a pharmacy school, so that i can become a pharmacist?
and as well my senior year??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Leakena S. in Chicago, Illinois

68 months ago

I am a 2nd year pre-pharmacy undergraduate student at UIC. In order to become a pharmacist you have to take 2 years of prerequisites at some undergraduate college or university. Then you have to apply again to a graduate school and complete another 4 years. So total is six years in college. But nowaways, considering how competitive pharmacy graduate schools are, 75% of people who wants to get into pharmacy school, get a 4 year degree in something at an undergraduate college to increase their chances of getting into pharmacy school. So if you plan on going that route it would take you 8 years to become a pharmacist. (Thats what I'm doing. I'm want to get a bachelor's degree in biology and then apply to pharmacy school.)
Make sure you know your sciences especially biology and chemistry. Some schools such as UIC pharmacy graduate school require you to take physics as pre-requisites to get into their graduate school. So I say take whatever class that you think you will help you learn more when you have to take it again when you're an undergraduate doing your pre-requisites. Graduate schools only look at your undergraduate grades not your high school grades. They also look at PCAT scores, volunteering activities throughout your undergraduate years, personal statement, and interview. Oh and definately becoming a licensed pharmacy tech is a plus, and and becoming certified is definately a plus for them. It shows that you're really serious in becoming a pharmacist. Hopes this all helps. ^_^

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Kayla in Monroe, North Carolina

68 months ago

I'm a Freshman in high school. And, I really want to be a Pharmacist. My mom always dreamed of being one but her parents didn't have enough money for her to go to College. Well she has encouraged me alot to be one and my parents said they would pay for every bit of it. In my high school we can only start by taking Earth Science and all of that. But, in my Sophomore year or Junor year i'm considering taking Bio. And, Physical Science. Could this help for Pharmacy later in the later future? I also saw that you should be good in Math for Pharmacy? Is this true? I'm not the best at math. But, i'm really good in Science. I've also wanted to attend West Virginis University since I was about 10 years old. I know they have a Pharmacy program but would this be a College to go to for Pharmacy? I would also like to know what all do you have to do to become a Pharmacist? I'm really intreasted in this. And, i'm going Job Shadowing with my mom's friends as a Pharmacist in a couple of weeks. I heard Pharmacist make really good money. But money isn't that important to be in this Job. It just looks like something i would enjoy for my carear. But, if someone could please answer my questions then it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Have a nice day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

tiffany doby in Gilbert, Arizona

68 months ago

hi its me again
i really really want to know what to take the rest of my high school years
im a sophmore
i take
pre-calc
chemistry
spanish 3
what sciences should i take and masths? i have to register soon and its killin me:)
thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Sidra in West Palm Beach, Florida

68 months ago

if you are applying to a combined program (6 yr bs to md) then your HS grades matter. try to take whatever you do best in.

otherwise, nobody cares how you do in high school. the main benefit is to yourself. if you have good grades in high school, and hopefully good understanding of the subject, it will be easier to get good grades in college. and the grades in college will help you get into pharmacy school. pharm schools will never ask your HS gpa if you apply as a college student.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Some Guy in San Jose, California

68 months ago

I'm a Junior in high school, and I'm taking Chemistry this year. I had an A last semester, and it looks like this semester will be the same. I also passed Biology with an A last year. I've taken Algebra, Geometry, and I'm taking Algebra 2 this year. Passed them all with either an A or a B.

I want to become a Pharmacist. Which science class should I take next year? Physics, or Physiology? Maybe something else? And which math class should I take?

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

And I forgot to mention, my school has AP Chemistry. Should I take that next year even though I already took Chemistry this year?

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Jack in Toronto, Ontario

68 months ago

Do you really have to take physics in to become an pharmacist?
I'm not doing so well right now in physics, and I'm planning on dropping it. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Jack in Toronto, Ontario

68 months ago

Do you really have to take physics in order to become an pharmacist?
I'm not doing so well right now in physics, and I'm planning on dropping it. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Leakena S in Chicago, Illinois

68 months ago

I agree physics is a pain in the butt, but YES you do have to take physics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Take regulars because in college they go more into details with most of the equations. If anything talk to your advisor or counselor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Buffalo, New York

68 months ago

Hi I am currently a junior in highSchool, my overall gpa is a 3.75 class rank of 77/432.With all a's in math and science but the last semester I only recieved an average of 87 in regents chemistry. Will that hurt my chances of getting accepted into pharmacy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Steve in Buffalo, New York said: Hi I am currently a junior in highSchool, my overall gpa is a 3.75 class rank of 77/432.With all a's in math and science but the last semester I only recieved an average of 87 in regents chemistry. Will that hurt my chances of getting accepted into pharmacy?

just do well in your undergraduate courses and you'll be fine

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

nick in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

if you really think pharmacy is for you then apply for a 6 year program because it saves you ALOT of trouble (no pcats, reasonable gpa requirements) otherwise high school grades dont matter. Highschool grades help you get into big name schools, not graduate programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

PharmaD in Edison, New Jersey

67 months ago

Ok guys, I have the same problems as you guys did.
Basically i understand you should take honors and maintain a good GPA

also Take all science classes then APs
In order to be a pharmacists, i recommend taking AP Chem cause obviously chem is what matters most

lilaj in Sherwood, Arkansas

67 months ago

My comment goes to Leakena S. in Chicago, Illinois....
Wouldn't it be better if you get a degree in CHEMISTRY and then apply to pharmacy school...
Since all pharmacy is, is chemistry...?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

lilaj in Sherwood, Arkansas said: My comment goes to Leakena S. in Chicago, Illinois....
Wouldn't it be better if you get a degree in CHEMISTRY and then apply to pharmacy school...
Since all pharmacy is, is chemistry...?

It will definitely benefit you, but you can major in anything you want even music...I spoke to the person who does the admissions process, students who already got into pharmacy school, and even med students; they said you can major in anything you want as long as you fulfill the prerequisites requirements. I volunteer at a pharmacy, and the pharmacist there got a degree in biology. She said in pharmacy school, it's mainly organic chem. Chemistry prerequisites for pharmacy are General Chemistry I and II, Organic and Inorganic. Personally, I don't want to take extra chemistry courses when I only have to focus on Organic topics, and I find biology fascinating. So it depends on the person. My pre-pharmacy friends are majoring in psychology, math, bio-chem etc. You don't have to limit yourself to one thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Manali in Preston, Maryland

67 months ago

i also wanna be a pharmacist but should i do two years at a university and then apply to a pharm school or should i complete the four years at the university? im really confuseddd because my parents want me to finish school as soon as possible..but the four years can be helpful if something goes wrong with pharm school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Is Physiology a requirement to get into Pharm school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Some Guy in San Jose, California said: Is Physiology a requirement to get into Pharm school?

Some pharmacy do require you to take Anatomy&Physiology (same course) I know UIC requires it.
Look at the schools you want to apply because different school differ in their requirements.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

girl in Marlboro, New Jersey

66 months ago

can i take ap physics senior year and still apply for the 6 year pharm program at usp or MCPHS ?

acitalianman13 in Flushing, New York

66 months ago

ok i am in junior year of hs and am in kind of a problem want to go to saint johns university for pharmacy freshman year i was put into 2 year course for bio passed all so freshman and soph for bio (elementary school gades which were passing put me in stupid classes if you will) junior year i had to take earth science which means i have to take chem senior year i apply for colleges couple of months will this effect me getting into college for pharmacy what do they look at to get in grades in what subject do you need to be a honor studentt tO get in. do absences effect you getting accepted to college (SJ) when u apply to college do you get into pharmacy program right there by looking at hs grades or do they accept you after your pre major classes and look at your grades then .. since i take chem net year can i just take it in college also im reallyworried wanted to do pharmacy please answer someone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Someone in Laurel, Maryland

66 months ago

Nick in Monroe Township, New Jersey said: I just graduated last year from highschool and I am attending University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (USP) for the 6 year Pharm. D program.. I had A's and B's in highschool, had about 1250 SAT. I just finished the first semester at USP so i can help you guys out as to what to expect..
You have to take general bio and general chem your first year, you have to study a good amount for exams, but as long as you study your fine, nothing too difficult to understand in general sciences. If you take AP chem or AP bio it helps alot in these classes because you pretty much learned it all in highschool, but if you didnt take AP classes in highschool its no big deal.
Its a pretty hard cirriculum to graduate as a pharmacist and it only gets harder as you progress through the years, you just have to be ready to study alot and be dedicated. You can still go out and enjoy being a college student, just some nights you must sacrafice for studying.
oh yea, for those looking into an education in pharmacy, look into schools that have 6 year programs such as USP, or MCPHS in boston, i believe rutgers has a 6 year program.. you are guarenteed your pharmacy degree, just need to keep the certain grade requirements.. at USP i have to keep a 3.0 overall and I can progress into my professional years, no PCAT required or application after my second year.

I got accepted into USP but as undecided. I was scared to put pre-pharmacy as my major because i did not know if it will be a factor to my admission. Is it going to be a difficult process to change my major back to pre-pharmacy? Do you love the school? or are you regreting your choice? and how is the social life. I am also contemplating between Howard and USP for pharmacy. Which do you think is the best choice. (My dad said that Hampton has a really good program).

lololol in Cleveland, Ohio

66 months ago

Nick in Monroe Township, New Jersey said: I just graduated last year from highschool and I am attending University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (USP) for the 6 year Pharm. D program.. I had A's and B's in highschool, had about 1250 SAT. I just finished the first semester at USP so i can help you guys out as to what to expect..

what was your hs gpa?

Someone in Laurel, Maryland

66 months ago

lololol in Cleveland, Ohio said: what was your hs gpa?

my high school gpa is a 3.2 and SAT everything combined is 1470.

I am just so confused if im guaranteed a space in the program. Coming in as undecided, i know i have to work my way up. I dont mind doing that but my parents are on my neck about the situation. I called the admissions office and the lady strongly adviced me that if i didnt get accepted in the school of pharmacy i shouldnt bother coming, because they dont have pre-pharmacy. Her response really discourged me, plus my parents are telling me if i have to work my way up i might as well stay here in maryland then transfer later. So im just stuck and frustrated about the situation. Basically i just want to know how i can change my major from undecided to the pharmacy program if i go to the school and how long will it take. I also want to know the criterias, like do i have to keep a certain GPA my first semester, and is the school competitive? like am i guaranteed a spot even if i meet those critetias.

Thank you very much for your response. I really need that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Dan Y in Chicago, Illinois

64 months ago

Leakena S in Chicago, Illinois said: Some pharmacy do require you to take Anatomy&Physiology (same course) I know UIC requires it.
Look at the schools you want to apply because different school differ in their requirements.

hi leakena. umm im currently a senior in high school and wanna apply to UIC to become a phamacist. but i have no idea what i need to do or get to become a pharmacist... any ideas? or shuld i ask what did u take?? maybe i can use that as an example for myself =) explain the process too if u dunt mind :D

64 months ago

Hi Dan. If you want to become a pharmacist, it really depends on a lot of things. First you have to decide if you want to do just the 2 yr undergraduate pre-requisites and 4 years of pharmacy school, OR 4 years undergraduate pre-requisites and completing a major at the same time (get a degree in something) and then apply to pharmacy school (this is what most people do nowadays).

When you apply to UIC you HAVE to take a placement test of your basic knowledge of algebra, chemistry, a language course i.e spanish, english and reading. If you do not score so hot, you will have to take these classes again, so this might hold you back from completing your pre-requisites on time. Then again, if you place higher, you can finish faster. After you have taken your placement and see where you are at, you can talk to your advisor to see what classes you need to take. They will help plan how your schedule will like for your 2 year or 4 year at UIC. Talking to an advisor will really help you alot. Do this before beginning of fall semester.
You have to complete these pre-pharmacy coursework ---> tigger.uic.edu/htbin/codewrap/bin/pharmacy/cgi-bin/student_affairs/prospective_students/prepharmacy_coursework.php

You should also volunteer and join clubs. I am in the UIC pre-pharmacy club. After you completed your pre-pharmacy course work or pre-requisites, you have to take the PCAT, get letters of reccomendations, and do a personal statement. This is all required for you to apply to the pharm. school. After they check your application and they like what they see , they will call you for an interview. If you have any more questions, we can chat through yahoo messenger email is sreymurda@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dan Y in Chicago, Illinois

64 months ago

thank you so much!!!! the information above was very helpful and i meant to say im a senior starting fall of 2009 hehe. im already looking up bunch of scholarships to prepare for it. and thx for clearing up my question!! i really hope i get accepted into UIC for the fall of 2010. =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nilay patel in Anand, India

63 months ago

i have done 2nd degree pharmacy completed in rguhs university and wanted in boston city university.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Zera in Rochester, New York

63 months ago

I just recently finished my junior year of highschool. I averaged about a 92 all year in regents chem. At the day of the final I was pretty sick and I rushed through the exam. I got a 72. I'm taking ap chem next year, will colleges care about my regents if I do good on the ap? (I'm talking about undergrad colleges)

Thanks

dani07

63 months ago

Hi. Im a very interested in becoming a pharmacist i need sort of a step by step process to succeeding in becoming a pharmacist such as what college classes should i take and what pharmacy school should i attend. My high school GPA is 3.7 and im taking my act and sat again in august i really need some advice. I would really like to hear from a actual pharmacist or someone who knows a pharmacist.
Thanks Tori Moore

Melinda in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

Hi. I'm going into my Sophomore year in high school and I'm looking at a pharmacist as a possible career choice. Last year I took Biology and Physical Science. Next year, I'm taking Chem I & possibly Chem II. I was wondering whether to take the College Credits that I could earn by taking Adv. Bio and Chem II/III. I can take the classes w/o the credits but I was wondering whether to take them or not. Would that lessen my time in college even if the credits arn't to the college I'm going to? Also I have gotten straight A's all my life but I got a 92 in Phys. Sci. and I really didn't like it so would it help me to take Physics or would me possibly having a lower grade there affect my chances?
What are the main classes I need to take?
How high a level? I can do well in most everything but if I take something I don't want to like Physics and I get a B- or something would that hurt my chances?

tenzin l in Toronto, Ontario

62 months ago

i am starting grade 11 right now.. i am really interested in becoming pharmacist. but in my school i can;t take all the three subjects together in one year like this year i am taking chemistry and biology but i can;t take physics.. if i take physics and chemistry.. i can;t take biology. in dat case what should i do? coz basic physic is important to become pharmacist. wat should i do den? coz if i take physics in grade 12 i dun know the basic and it will be a big problem right? is there any where dat i can take physics after i graduate grade 12?
and yeah do u take any volunteer related pharmacist?
thanks so muchh!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

nilay in Anand, India

62 months ago

u should take biology and chemistry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tenzin l in Toronto, Ontario

62 months ago

den i dun need physics???

Melinda in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

You can take the physics in college. Taking it in high school is just to prepare you for the college classes.

tenzin in Toronto, Ontario

62 months ago

Melinda in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: You can take the physics in college. Taking it in high school is just to prepare you for the college classes.

yeah it will be hard in college right? if i don;t know the basics of physics coz i heard dat college physics were really hard... plzz help me coz i have only few days to choose!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CuriousX in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

Hi, I'm considering being a pharmacist. I will be a junior in high school.
These are the classes I'm taking:
Accelerated Chemistry - which is a college class in high school ( actual credits for it)
Accelerated Trig/Pre Calc- (another college class in high school with credits)
Advanced Pyschology-(once again, another college class with actual credits)
AP English-(possible credits if I take the AP exam after)
Honors American Cultures
Youth and Law
and SAT strategies
My overall two years of high school GPA:4.0

If you are a pharmacist or is studying pharmacy, please let me know if I should take any other class or reconsider different degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Alyssa in Modesto, California

62 months ago

hello.i am going to be a freshmen and i was wondering what classes i should take if i want to become a pharmacist?Maybe you can help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Hope in Boksburg, South Africa

58 months ago

Am currently in grade 11 and am so into phamacy problem is i dnt do biology bt i do physics n chemistry i wana know is biology really recomended or i can still qualify?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

tenzin in Toronto, Ontario

58 months ago

tenzin l in Toronto, Ontario said: i am starting grade 11 right now.. i am really interested in becoming pharmacist. but in my school i can;t take all the three subjects together in one year like this year i am taking chemistry and biology but i can;t take physics.. if i take physics and chemistry.. i can;t take biology. in dat case what should i do? coz basic physic is important to become pharmacist. wat should i do den? coz if i take physics in grade 12 i dun know the basic and it will be a big problem right? is there any where dat i can take physics after i graduate grade 12?
and yeah do u take any volunteer related pharmacist?
thanks so muchh!!!

you should take biology and chemistry.. these two subjects are the most imporant and key to become pharmacist! u only need one physics and dat u can take during grade 12 like when u will b in grade 12, take grade 11 physics... hope it helps u or u can take after graduate like summer school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Divya Tre in Queens, New York

57 months ago

Im a high school senior, im interested in PharmD, i want to know what jobs will i be able to do after getting my degree and other alternatives to jobs and if i want to continue my education; what choices do i have?....Would a PharmD degree have a place in India?---what would be the salary?

in need of help in Naperville, Illinois

57 months ago

i have to choose between AP Biology or AP physics for my senior year i want to become a pharmacist so which would be a better choice (i have already taken Bio Honors and Physics Honors)Or does it really matter?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.