Bad Pharmacy Tech Schools

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 215)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

leeg in Seattle, Washington

67 months ago

I graduated from the pharmacy tech program at PIMA Medical Institute. I kind of regret it now that I am in debt for $7500. I dont recommend that school to anyone. They had a problem with no instructors! There was a period of two months that I had substitues, and they had to keep interviewing people! What a crock. Don't go to PIMA they just want your money! They even tried to milk more money out of me by trying to get me to enroll in a associate degree program! I said heck no, I don;t even have a job yet. Give me a chance to see if I like being a pharmacy tech first!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lilian Sosa in Denver, Colorado

67 months ago

At first i was thinking of doing everest because i thought... "i don't need THAT much training to be a pharm tech." but i found a program at a local community college. it sounds good but im not too sure. can someone tell me if this sounds good? here's the link...

www.arapahoe.edu/deptprgrms/pht/index.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

b_lefty in Aurora, Colorado

66 months ago

Hi, I am currently a Pharm tech. student at Arapahoe. Excellent school!. Make arrangements with Dr. Allen for a visit.

Lilian Sosa in Denver, Colorado said: At first i was thinking of doing everest because i thought... "i don't need THAT much training to be a pharm tech." but i found a program at a local community college. it sounds good but im not too sure. can someone tell me if this sounds good? here's the link...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cherokeequeen74 in lincoln, Arkansas

65 months ago

I went and applied at Walmart for a pharmcy tech job, had no experience or anything they trained me on the job and payed for my license and test and everything. I didnt have to go to school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No Reply - Report abuse

james jonava in san francisco, California

65 months ago

Hi, I am currently taking online course from allied schools and i don't have any problems with allied schools. Their student support are very excellent and school has a very easy to study materials. Try it online, www.pharmacytrainingonline.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

gmarie in Spring Hill, Florida

65 months ago

is anyone out there from tampa area,and know of a good school?I just dropped Sanford waste of time&money,any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gmarie in Spring Hill, Florida

65 months ago

Has anyone gone to school at concorde?If so,how was it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

goody709 in Chicago, Illinois

65 months ago

somewhat confused in Chicago, Illinois said: I had went to the Pharmacy Technician School on 4710 W Irving Park Rd in chicago as posted in the first message. My sister told me here friend can get me a job because she did the same school. I admit that the PTCB Exam review that I received was bad, but the course was 900, compared to 10,000 from other community colleges. The teacher said that the 10,000 courses were the same thing except that they discussed in depth things that aren't important andleft you with a large bill. My class meet twice a week for 4 hours and I thought it would've been longer. I am now finding it hard to study for the PTCB Exam, even after picking up more study material. The teacher also didn't want us to order the Exam review book that went along witht he course book because she said it wasn't necessary and that everything you need pass is in that one. Worse yet I can't reach the school because it seems they changed their number as some construction was done and they moved into the building next to it.

its in the same place the number is two zero five eight four two two this thing doesn't allow numbers lol i also went there i loved it! :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

olga in Chicago, Illinois

64 months ago

yes me too. i went to that school on 4710 W.irving park chicago. pleeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssssse do not even think twice about going there. you will never be given even a chance to get a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

olga in Chicago, Illinois

64 months ago

loooooooooooool. im sorry, i meant get a chance to have a job. i suggest to everyone of you to attend a community college from your hometown cuz it usually cheaper than private school. the thing about book and home study doesn't mean anything. By going to school you actually a step forward cuz you gonna practice what you have learned, but by getting a book and learn from home, it is going to be hard for you once at work and you won't be confindent. And it is not that easy, in order to get a job, you should show your employer that you know what your are talking about. and trust me everything time that you going to get a chance to get an interview if you do, they will ask you which school you went to and what you have learned. medical terminology it is an important part of the program to and i do not think it is in the book. so if you want to be a pharmacy tech, be serious about it, go to school , study and go talk to managers with confidence. do not listen to those people who said they got hired with no training. It is even harder when they have to train you on the job, cuz you are learning slowly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sue in Denver, Colorado

64 months ago

Lilian Sosa in Denver, Colorado said: At first i was thinking of doing everest because i thought... "i don't need THAT much training to be a pharm tech." but i found a program at a local community college. it sounds good but im not too sure. can someone tell me if this sounds good? here's the link...

If you want the RIGHT education, a community college is the way to go. Stay away from Pima, Everest, Remington and other so-called accelerated colleges.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

b_lefty in Aurora, Colorado

64 months ago

Hi, I am just finishing up at Arapahoe community college in the Denver area.(Jan to the middle of May, then 2 internships, booklearning is finished next week) The college program is held in high regard. it is a hybrid program(online and labs at the campus). Part of their program is setting up two(4 weeks)internships, one in community and one in institutional. Call Dr. Allen to visit, all of the instructors are open to your concerns, and want you to succeed. Money well spent. Approx $350 for books(used), spring tutition approx $6,000, summer tutition $2000...I am OUT OF STATE, so your expense would be lower.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mami in Chicago, Illinois

64 months ago

I agree, go to a community college, they are going to teach you what you need to pass your national. The rest you will learn on the job. Those Everest college and other take money for nothing and they do not guarantee that you will have a job. So go the community college in your area. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Asri Joda in Oakland, California

64 months ago

Hi, I am taking my pharmacy tech class from an online school, www.pharmacytrainingonline.com/ so far I really like their course and 100% satisfied with it. I wonder how it differs from community college and how long it takes to complete it. Please share with your opinions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Edgar in Harwood Heights, Illinois

64 months ago

The first thing is that it is up to you to pay the $900 and attend the class. You knew that it is not a full blown college degree program but only a certification class.
The teacher is a nice a lady from Europe, this is why she has an accent.
Nonetheless, she speaks understandable english!
Sounds like you have a problem with foreigners?
If you were listening in her classes, she discussed material from the book and material that are not in the book. She even handed out supplement materials that were exactly what you needed to know and no fillers. She explains in class verbally pertinent even to taking the national certificaton exam many times.
The exercises were all important to know as they were exactly for the pharm tech's job, knowing how to read doctor prescriptions, entering them into the computer, counting out tablets, knowing how to use syringes and measuring, knowing how to work with piggybacks, knowing how to prepare ordered mixed solutions in iv bags, how to do unit conversions, how to understand abbreviations.
How are you suppose to get an internship in a 6 week class?
Like the teacher said herself, get the state license after you finished the class and then apply for jobs everywhere you can.
I think 900 bucks is worth paying instead of 5 or 10 grand. IMO you just need to know what the job requires, have the qualifications, licenses, the company should hire you. We all have to start somewhere!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pharm tech teacher in Springfield, Kentucky

63 months ago

While many states currently do not require that you be educated and/or certified to become a pharm tech, it is heading that way. See bottom of this note for the PTCB statement issued last week.
Meanwhile, a couple of points to add to all this discussion:
> most pharmacy directors want employees who can communicate, and based on some of what I'm seeing on here, college would do a world of good in general for most people, especially a communications class. Some of these postings are so non-grammatical that I can't tell what you are trying to say.
> if you want a good, productive, positive experience with a pharm tech school or program, use your head and attend one that is accredited by ASHP, the national accrediting body for schools of pharmacy and techs. These schools meet national standards of curriculum and required externship hours.
> count on it, hospitals pay more than retail because the skill and knowledge level required is much higher
> there are many high-paying jobs for pharm techs in areas such as insurance, waste mgmt, education, info technology, and others.....but they are not going to hire someone "off the street" for the best jobs; you must demonstrate initiative, knowledge, flexibility, being a team-player....don't expect to waltz in off the street and get the best jobs
See below for PTCB message:

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) is proud to announce a new recommendation issued by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) Task Force on Standardized Pharmacy Technician Education and Training which encourages state boards of pharmacy to require certification by the PTCB.
The Task Force recommended, and the NABP Executive Committee approved, that NABP amend the Model Act to a recommendation that all boards of pharmacy require pharmacy technicians to be certified by 2015, in accordance with the JCPP Future Vision of Pharmacy Practice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pharm tech teacher in Springfield, Kentucky

63 months ago

Asri Joda in Oakland, California said: Hi, I am taking my pharmacy tech class from an online school, www.pharmacytrainingonline.com/ so far I really like their course and 100% satisfied with it. I wonder how it differs from community college and how long it takes to complete it. Please share with your opinions.

The program I direct is full college credit. You can earn a one-year pharmacy "certificate", or diploma; or you can earn a two-year associate degree, in which you take the pharm tech certificate courses PLUS an additional year of general educational requirements such as English, math, ethics, history, science, for a total of 62hrs. It is not a junior college; this is a 4yr regular college. Our students get high marks withtheir internships, pass the PTCB first try, and get jobs. If they wish to continue in college, again, this is all full college credit. We are definitely not a diploma mill, and work hard to keep the quality of pharm techs in Ky very high.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sharon Ruth in Fairview, Oklahoma

63 months ago

Good to hear Pharm Tech teacher, because the State of Oklahoma doesn't recognize
the PTCB.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pharm tech teacher

63 months ago

Sharon, take heart. Slowly, state by state, the situation is improving. Kentucky, which does its best to remain backward, actually began this year requiring registration, which is a first step. I am frustrated we don't require certification and education, but it will come, eventually. I do not want my medications, either in a drugstore or a hospital, prepared by someone who has no "investment" in the job. That does not mean just financial investment: if you work in a job for 20yrs that is investment; you don't want to lose that job, so you're more careful and conscientious. But if you job hop because you make mistakes, and you don't stay at a job long, and you didn't pay to learn those skills, you will not feel a need to be as careful. This is where registration helps, it prevents someone who just got fired from going to the next hospital.

Pharmacy person in Killeen, Texas

63 months ago

I have to say that my experience in Everest is a little different. I went to school in the Austin, Tx campus. They recently dropped their pharm tech program. The price is ridiculous I've come to realise; it's almost criminal when you consider how it's not necessary.

Aside from the price(probably the most deciding factor), I actually loved the course. Maybe it's because I got along so well with the instructor and classmates. Out of all my friends it took me the longest to find a job.

It wasn't me who found it.. I thought the school forgot about me and several months later the new career services lady was helping me re-work my resume and then it finally happened, she just sent my resume to a place without asking me; then asked me if it was okay. I was like yeah! Got a call the next day and was hired. I think that was pretty great of her.

All I can say is I loved the school, the program is absurd though. We did a lot of bookwork and not so much hands on training like I was promised. A lot of the stuff we learned seemed to be.. how the hell does this apply to me. Do I really need to learn every type of anti-biotic; the entire skeleton system and great details of how medications work. Most of the stuff I learned I've forgotten, if you look at my notes you'd think I was trying to be a half assed Pharmacist. So much biology learned..

I found this site on google, how the hell does it know I'm in Killeen.. that's kind of creepy. =(

Pharm tech teacher in Saint Catharine, Kentucky

63 months ago

If you think it's cheap to run one of these programs you are way off base. My salary is decent, not great, but certainly livable. It takes tuition (and ours is high, from a student perspective) from five students just to cover my salary, and there is the cost of accrediting the program, purchasing supplies and materials and equipment........these things are REALLY expensive to run.
As to the value of your education.......you may not be required to know about antibiotics or drugs of bioterrorism on the job, but for heaven's sake, SHOW YOUR VALUE! You can demonstrate your value as a technician by taking initiative, using what you've learned. Why on earth would you learn it and then never use it? Are you waiting for someone to ask you about that stuff? When a manager is looking for someone to promote, the ideal candidate uses initiative, demonstrates knowledge, and shows their value as a technician. When you graduate you are just beginning to learn how to learn, it is not the "end-all". Don't expect a discrete knowledge set to plop in your lap and then all job questions come from that. Use it to learn more, ask questions, demonstrate your knowledge without being asked. That's how you advance. That's how I, and most others, can get a good job in a field not necessarily related to the degree. Good luck, but you have to make it, not await it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

misa in Phoenix, Arizona

63 months ago

I would suggest

www.gaitlin.com

misa in Phoenix, Arizona

63 months ago

gatlineducation.com/pharmacytechnician_overview.html

My husband recommended this program to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Denver, Colorado

63 months ago

Stay away from Remington!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've heard Gatlin is different. Our local University offers there course so they can't be bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ohmy in Saint Charles, Illinois

63 months ago

don't let anyone get you down. do what you want to do, the class is not that long and if you waste the money oh well everyone waste money it happens its just a bump in the road that you will have to go around. If you think it is a good idea whats the worst you hate it oh well try something else. IF i offend anyone with this message i apologize and no i am not rich that is not the reason i am saying money wasted is alright im just saying that worse things can happen and you will never know if you dont put forward the effort to try.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

just reading in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

ok if you dont want to do work than this is not the right feild for you. penn foster is a good school you are doing self pace learning and it cost $538.00.a pharm tech is the assiant to the pharmacist. kinda like a cna is for a nurse or a teacher aid is for a teacher. it is to help make thier jobs easier. and anywhere you work you have to start somewhere and if it is making 10 bucks an hour well ok i am down for it. you cant expect to make tons of money at first. penn foster is an accredited school. i highly recommend anyone to use this school.

Sunshine in Debary, Florida

61 months ago

Has anyone ever tried Allied schools?

www.alliedschools.com

I saw one review for the online school but I wanted to make sure that it's really worth my time and money. ($900 for the course) From what I was told, the course is self-paced and that it could take anywhere between 1-3 months to complete. They advised me that I do not need to take the state board exam. (But I will be taking the state boards just so I have the opportunity to work in the hospitals.) Now I understand that going to college versus doing it online increases your chance on getting hired and that it's better to go overall. But my issue is that I'm already going to college full time working on my A.A. Degree. (I'm only 22 years old.) And so I wanted to take this online course on the side while I'm going to college. Since the recession is so bad, not even fast food places are looking to hire anyone. So I figure becoming a Pharmacy Tech wouldn't be a bad choice to get into just so I can have a decent job while I'm going to school. So anyone out there have an opinion about this school? I live in the Orlando area in Florida....if you cannot tell me about this school could you please recommend what other online schools I should take in consideration?

denisethearcher in Mesa, Arizona

61 months ago

Volunteer at a hospital to get your foot in the door. They may give you books to prepare for the exam and you'll have access to pharmacists and techs. Once you get certified, pick up PRN work at a hospital (they pay generally $3/hour more than retail and have fabulous benefits. You gotta work the back door kid. Don't go after it the obvious ways.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

iceman in Los Angeles, California

61 months ago

im planning to go to everest.... but dont know if i should take medical billing or pharmacy tech.....

Lilian Sosa in Denver, Colorado

61 months ago

Do pharmacy tech, but not at Everest. Do it at a local community college

duc8ti in Los Angeles, California

61 months ago

as a pharm tech. you are limited as to how much you will make. i did it for 20 yrs. and only in my last 3 years did i go above $18.00/hr. i have worked in-patient hospital and closed door pharmacy. i understand that coding can make good money.

www.ahima.org/coding/

61 months ago

thanks for the input Lilian, but why not Everest?? some of the reviews seems good according to this web site..

Duc8ti (u have a bike?? i do too, $20,000 gsxr 1000), you say u work for 20 yrs??!? and haven't made more than 18/hr.. u got me thinking now, how much CAN u get for coding?? im makin $600 payments on my bike n 18/hr wont cut it

duc8ti in Los Angeles, California

61 months ago

county (L.A.) starts off there people at 3760.00/mo....thing is there is advencment in coding, in pharmacy you will be going from job to job chasing the bucks. ya buddy, got a monster.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

slspencer in Memphis, Tennessee

61 months ago

james jonava in san francisco, California said: Hi, I am currently taking online course from allied schools and i don't have any problems with allied schools. Their student support are very excellent and school has a very easy to study materials. Try it online, www.pharmacytrainingonline.com/

do you know anyone that has graduated and is working? and is this school accredited by ASHP.

Keep it honest

61 months ago

Anna in Fort Knox, Kentucky said: No, not at all, I just got a job at walgreens and they didn't care I had a diploma, they didn't even look at it when I brought it in. Plus even if your certified or went to school walgreens puts you through their training program. Just get a job at walgreens, they'll even pay for your PTCB exam and to test preperation with you, and when you pass, they give you a raise.

I have heard of this exact story before. You go to work at CVS or Walgreens and get trained at the place of employment for Pharm. Tech w/o paying 1,000s in loans!

61 months ago

im goin for coding then...

61 months ago

im goin for coding then....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

trina in Chicago, Illinois

60 months ago

ME in Midlothian, Illinois said: DONT GO TO EVEREST COLLEGE IN MERRIONETTE PARK IL EITHER, SO NOT WORTH THE $11,OOO TUITION, AND JOB PLACEMENT...FORGET IT. I HAD TO FIND MY OWN AN THEY TRIED TO ACT LIKE THEY FOUND THE JOB FOR ME. I WAS OUT OF SCHOOL FOR 5 MONTHS B-4 I FOUND A JOB.

This is soooo true. I went to the same college.(Everest in Merrionette park) After they collect your grant money then they try to drop you from the course and make you reapply to get more grants and loans! My friend who also attended this school went for the full term with honors and a week before her graduation they drop her from her course and her externship. This school is such a rip off!! You would not expect this from the commericals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

nikki in Bellwood, Illinois

60 months ago

i was thinking of attending the same school. should i or shouldnt i? and how many weeks does it take to finish the class?

nikki in Bellwood, Illinois

60 months ago

goody709 in Chicago, Illinois said: its in the same place the number is two zero five eight four two two this thing doesn't allow numbers lol i also went there i loved it! :-)

i was thinking of attending the same school. should i or shouldnt i? and how many weeks does it take to finish the class?

Kay in Chicago, Illinois

60 months ago

I am a teacher and have worked at a few schools mentioned. I don’t want to bash any school, but I will say any school offering a course for more than three months with the student going five days a week is too much training for a pharmacy tech. The reason I say this is because most pharmacist feel that technicians fresh out of school who have had too much training on body parts and not enough on customer service, come to the pharmacy thinking they know it all. This irks the pharmacist because pharmacists want to train the technician the way they want things done. Remember the technician is there to do one thing and that is to serve. Serve the pharmacist, serve the patient and any other health care professional they come in contact with. Teams of technicians as well as myself take the PTCB exam regularly to see exactly what is on the test and pass this information on to students on what to study. The best material to study is a three-volume manual broken down in easy to understand language, written by technicians, which cover everything on the test from A-Z. It was written so that you study only the material or like material that is on the test. To order the three-volume manual workbook email me Mskminor@yahoo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kay in Chicago, Illinois

60 months ago

I am a teacher and have worked at a few schools mentioned. I don’t want to bash any school, but I will say any school offering a course for more than three months with the student going five days a week is too much training for a pharmacy tech. The reason I say this is because most pharmacist feel that technicians fresh out of school who have had too much training on body parts and not enough on customer service, come to the pharmacy thinking they know it all. This irks the pharmacist because pharmacists want to train the technician the way they want things done. Remember the technician is there to do one thing and that is to serve. Serve the pharmacist, serve the patient and any other health care professional they come in contact with. Teams of technicians as well as myself take the PTCB exam regularly to see exactly what is on the test and pass this information on to students on what to study. The best material to study is a three-volume manual broken down in easy to understand language, written by technicians, which cover everything on the test from A-Z. It was written so that you study only the material or like material that is on the test. To order the three-volume manual workbook email me Mskminor@yahoo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Why would anyone hire someone who can't write a coherent, correctly spelled paragraph? Some of you people sound unqualified to be janitors! Look within, folks, and stop blaming the schools.
You're generalizing a lot. To an extent you DO get what you pay for; hospital & retail pharmacies in my area routinely call me looking for new graduates, because they know they will get a quality employee. Hint: in my program, if you can't spell you cannot pass! The pharmacists around here generally do value the "other" material taught, such as pharmacy practice, communication skills, drug development, etc.
I aim this program at hospital pharmacies because it does pay better; I think retail pharmacies are what keeps pharm tech salaries too low. But, if you're not getting a 4yr degree in something you probably will not make as much; don't expect a non-academic quickie degree to get you the best job. I do help my grads find jobs, and they find them and are happy with the salary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dolynana in Dublin, Georgia

59 months ago

rather not tell in Macon, Georgia said: i just enrolled in this course at penn foster.

I took the course with Penn Foster, I did get my diploma and I am now studying for the Certification Exam. Whether you believe it is a good school or not, it is important to show initive and determination on getting a diploma. It will be required in 2010. It is far cheaper than traditional training, which goes over the same curriculium. It is an accredited school of training and I rather have it than not. It is an individual decision. How dedicated are you?

Lisa in Florence, Kentucky

59 months ago

Hi, Sorry about your experiance, I did the same as you, I went with community college because it was close to home. I have to say college looks good on resume and will open doors but not so important for pharm tech. Ive been in school 2months now and their is only 2 of us going for pharm tech, the other lady applied at cvs and got hired and she is now quieting college. SO far we have not learned anything to do with what are degree is and she said she has learned more there then at school and we dont need it. She is making 9.50hr no training/exp. She said she is getting book and with hands on trainging she is going to take cert test herself. I think I may follow her footsteps and save myself 2yrs and $24,000. Good luck to all as this field is getting harder to find work in so if you gonna go to college go for pharmacist Not tech.

59 months ago

Lisa,
Don't know what school in Ky you went to, but St. Catharine is the ONLY one in Ky that is accredited by ASHP. This is something it's good to research before you pay tuition. Sounds like you picked the wrong school. We try hard to make sure our students get a thorough undertstanding of the field, and all of them find jobs easily. Good luck.

irsmith78 in Spokane, Washington

58 months ago

pharmacy slave in Cleveland, Ohio said: Yes. it's true. Walgreen's will pay for it all.
I guess I just don't understand those who still choose to pay so much money for this because they think it will somehow give them an advantage.

I can't tell you how many interns from these schools are so shocked when they find that when we both apply for the same job, we are given the same pay. Really guys, we are telling you the truth. School for pharmacy tech is a waste of both time and money. Retail doesn't care, and hospitals only want certification, which you can do on your own for free.

Either way, we all have to study for the test, only difference is that I don't have to pay for it.

I'm glad I took the time to do my research on this. It's great to hear from those in the field who are doing the job. I am getting out of the military in a year and have been looking into ways to expand my options for work when I get out. Reading these forums brought me to the conclusion that the school would be a waste of time and money. I'm pretty confident I can get the certification on my own. I already completed my A+ computer repair certification on my own so self study for the CPhT seems the best way for me. Keep spreading the word. If you can keep people on a better path for success and give them the reality of the job it's a huge help to everyone. Thanks to all for posting their experience :)

Panther in Cincinnati, Ohio

58 months ago

I didn't read all of the comments but here is my take. I teach at a local college teaching Pharmacy Tech. I last worked as a Phar Tech about 10 years ago. The course is very in depth and the students acquire a lot of knowledge and skill to become a Tech but I feel that they don't need an Associates degree to become a Tech.

That is why I am opening my own Pharmacy Tech certification program. I would advise anyone wanting to be a Pharmacy Tech to go for it. With the job market the way it is and the future looking bleaker all the time it is a great field. With a good 10 week course for a reasonable fee you can't lose. Choose your school wisely.

Kay in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

I agree with you totally. I also plan on initiating my own program for certification as well. Are you teaching beginners or students who are already established as a pharm tech? My program would be not for beginners but for technicians who have a little knowledge about the profession. Go for it!! I wish you well.

Panther in Cincinnati, Ohio

58 months ago

Kay in Chicago, Illinois said: I agree with you totally. I also plan on initiating my own program for certification as well. Are you teaching beginners or students who are already established as a pharm tech? My program would be not for beginners but for technicians who have a little knowledge about the profession. Go for it!! I wish you well.

Right now I'm teaching both. I also plan to teach both those that are already techs working the field and those that want to become techs. Ohio passed a law (Emilys Law) requiring that all techs become certified by Oct, 2010.

From my working experience as a tech I would say right now that only about 10-20% of techs in the Cincinnati area are certified so the field is wide open.

I also think that because of the requirement of certification in Ohio there will be a big demand for techs and we should demand more pay.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.