Can I just learn the top 200 drugs for PTCB exam?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 86 of 86)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

cpht in Chicago, Illinois

49 months ago

jiyaa in Enterprise, Alabama said: which book would be best for PTCB any suggestion???

visit pharmacy rx by crystal zamudio
ptcb guide and and books for sell provided by amazon also helpful information for the future

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tina in London, Kentucky

49 months ago

mewhomustnotbenamed in Milpitas, California said: Are you sure it is 25% hydrocortisone, not 0.25%?

I need to know this trick please help..Here's what I came up with please tell me if I'm right..2.5 divided into .25=10
then 240 divided into 10= 24 grams...

jiyaa in Enterprise, Alabama

49 months ago

can u suggest the name of tht book by mosby's?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Artemis in Deridder, Louisiana

47 months ago

I am a high school senior and I am taking the PTCB in April 2011. I have a hard time memorizing the 250 drugs that my teacher gave me to study. I am worried because she continueously tells us that these drugs will be on the test, and no student at my school has failed the test since we got the class 3 years ago, so I can't study correctly because I am afraid of failing the test. PLEASE HELP!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Meera in Tucson, Arizona

47 months ago

Hello, I understand what you are worried about. It IS difficult to remember all drugs and related material. Though, you must have been given some drugs list in groups so initially it is just a few drugs to remember at a time and than every time you try to learn next group revise the previous groups you worked on. You can make FLASH CARDS as per your need like one set with Brand name on one side, generic name on the other side, / another set with br,name and gen, name on one side and their usage for what symptoms , dosage, forms (like Tablets, capsules, injection, topical cream, spray etc..)on the other side.
It might be a lot of writing work but that will help you in the process of remembering more easily. And keep using these flash cards everyday sparing just 10 min. to revise. Make it like playing a game, it won't be that difficult.
Good luck!
Meera

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CPhT in Joliet, Illinois

47 months ago

Artemis in Deridder, Louisiana said: I am a high school senior and I am taking the PTCB in April 2011. I have a hard time memorizing the 250 drugs that my teacher gave me to study. I am worried because she continueously tells us that these drugs will be on the test, and no student at my school has failed the test since we got the class 3 years ago, so I can't study correctly because I am afraid of failing the test. PLEASE HELP!

I understand how you feel. Not all the 200 brand and generic drugs will be on the exam but you should memorize them because no one knows which of those 200 drugs will be on the exam (this is why your teacher recommended to learn all of them). The only thing you can do is try your best and pray to god to give you strength. Do not fear be optimistic, everything will turn ok. Some ways to study the 200 drugs is by flashcards and drugs pocket books (has brand and generics with details in a small book to hold in your pocket). You can go to my site I have plenty of books for the exam as well I have pocket books provided by Amazon. One pocket book that I like is call

**Clinician's Pocket Drug Reference 2009 by Leonard Gomella for $11.65

It has book details and reviews before you buy
Also they came out with the 2010 and 2011 pocket book

Just google Pharmacy Rx by Crystal Zamudio and click the shop link
Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Meera in Tucson, Arizona

47 months ago

maribeth in Leominster, Massachusetts said: any study guide by mosbys

Mosby's Review Book by James J. Mizner "PTCB Certification Examination" Comes with a CD and it has over 1000 Review questions, 6 practice exams (with solutions ) and on the cd, there are 400 electronic flash cards,
This book has chapters that has details useful from the point of view of PTCB exam which helps you prepare for the tests. It is a good book to study.

I am using it.
Meera

Tina in London, Kentucky

47 months ago

Learning the drugs will help but also learn some laws and compounding..I took my test last month and it had mostly compounding..I was so stressed about it, I studied everything..It's not as hard as you would think..Just study and I wish you all the luck..

Miss Fay in Lilburn, Georgia

47 months ago

Hello out there !!

I am in Roswell Georgia (Atlanta) Has anybody out there got a job lead for me ?? I live in Homestretch ( A United Way Transitional Housing Program ) If I do not find work by the end of the month we will have to go to a shelter. I took this trainging program because I thought I would have a job by now!! HELP !!
Also have a B.A.

Meera in Tucson, Arizona

47 months ago

send me your e-mail address. I studied PTCB at Kennesaw college cont. ed. program so I have received available job posting e-mail from them. Though I do not live now in Georgia, I would be happy to help some one else getting a job through that information. I will forward that e-mail as soon as I get your e-mail address.
Good luck.

Miss Fay in Atlanta, Georgia

47 months ago

Meera in Tucson, Arizona said: send me your e-mail address. I studied PTCB at Kennesaw college cont. ed. program so I have received available job posting e-mail from them. Though I do not live now in Georgia, I would be happy to help some one else getting a job through that information. I will forward that e-mail as soon as I get your e-mail address.
Good luck.

God Bless you !!My e-mail address is fay.henderson@yahoo.com Thank you in advance !! I will keep you posted

adap686 in Houston, Texas

39 months ago

Your comments are awesome and very helpful!

justaboutme in Chicago, Illinois

36 months ago

I'm using the Mosby's Review book and I keep getting about 30 wrong each time I do the practice test. Is that enough to pass the PTCB?

squirrelgirl51887 in Mesa, Arizona

34 months ago

I live in arizona. I have been going to school to become a CPht but my biggest concern about taking the test is not the actual test but before hand when I am asked to disclose any drug violations. Almost 2 years ago, my boyfriend and i got pulled over and I took his weed pipe for him. I got caught with it and now have a class 1 misdemeanor of drug paraphernalia possess. How is this going to affect my chances of becoming certified.

starving in Corona, California

34 months ago

squirrelgirl51887 in Mesa, Arizona said: I live in arizona. I have been going to school to become a CPht but my biggest concern about taking the test is not the actual test but before hand when I am asked to disclose any drug violations. Almost 2 years ago, my boyfriend and i got pulled over and I took his weed pipe for him. I got caught with it and now have a class 1 misdemeanor of drug paraphernalia possess. How is this going to affect my chances of becoming certified.

Most likely the state board will deny it due to being drug related, they are strict on these things though its best to call the board and ask

Jazzijess13 in fruitland park, Florida

32 months ago

Hello, im new to this site :) was doing some research on becoming a pharmacy tech and ran across this. You all seem so helpful on here so thought id give it a try lol.. i have the Mosby review books and am wondering where i can go to find the up to date laws here in fl thats bout the only thing so far im having trouble with..thanks for your time and effort :)
Jess

AnonaMiss in Saint John, New Brunswick

31 months ago

Hello, I am a high school student (Grade 10) and I would really love to become a pharmacist, does anyone have any advice for me?
Also, what kind of things specifically are you tested on?
Thanks! :)

Rina in Lake Charles, Louisiana

31 months ago

Miss Fay in Roswell, Georgia said: I have some sample math questions !! I remember one like this:
A 143 lb patient is to recieve nitroprusside 50mg in 250mL of an IV solution. The patient is to recieve 5mcg/kg/min. How many milligrams per hour will the patient recieve?
A 4.29mg/hr
B 19.5mg/hr
C 42.9mg/hr
D 19,500mg/hr

Write me back and let me know if you can see the simplicity -and the trick :> with this question

So is the answer is 19.5 mg/hr?

Rina in Lake Charles, Louisiana

31 months ago

Miss Fay in Roswell, Georgia said: I have some sample math questions !! I remember one like this:
A 143 lb patient is to recieve nitroprusside 50mg in 250mL of an IV solution. The patient is to recieve 5mcg/kg/min. How many milligrams per hour will the patient recieve?
A 4.29mg/hr
B 19.5mg/hr
C 42.9mg/hr
D 19,500mg/hr

So is the answer is 19.5 mg/hr?

vivany in New York

31 months ago

Does any one can tell me how to pass pctb exam ?
pls i need your help .i want to apply for ptcb ?if you know about it write here asap.
Thanks
Viva

onelaura in Monson, Massachusetts

28 months ago

I bought a used edition of Delmars Pharmacy Technician Certification and Review by Patricia K. Anthony, but didn't realize it was the 1999 version. is the info really outdated or should the basic info be the same?

LBCandy22 in Evanston, Illinois

28 months ago

Check out Prescription Trivia for your Android

wosen in Greenville, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

Meera in Sierra Vista, Arizona said: I am going to take exam in Aug.2010, wish me luck!
Answer = B. 19.5

This problem can be solved as
143/2.2 = 65kg
now 05 mcg = 0.005 mg (Trick taken care of! i.e. converting mcg into mg.)
so the answer will be 65 kg x .005 mg x 60 min = 19.5 mg/hr

what's the formula

List Confusion in Aubrey, Texas

26 months ago

There are many sources of drugs lists for this exam -- study guides, websites, instructor recommendations -- yet there is no standardized list.

Can anyone direct me to a list which is reliable and worthy?

Andy Nguyen in San Jose, California

26 months ago

I am planing on taking PTCB Exam, but I don't have any experience about that. Can you guys give me an advice and what book I should learn to pass this.Gratefully thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

List Confusion in Little Elm, Texas

26 months ago

Andy Nguyen in San Jose, California said: I am planing on taking PTCB Exam, but I don't have any experience about that. Can you guys give me an advice and what book I should learn to pass this.Gratefully thanks.
One book you should buy is the Complete Math Review for the Pharmacy Technician by William Hopkins. This book covers all the math you need but only the math.

Besides a math book you need AT LEAST one study guide. I bought 3 pharm tech study guides and I can honestly say that NONE of them cover everything. Don't listen to claims that Mosby's or others are the best. All study guides have good points and bad points, and ALL of them have areas that are missing information. The only way you will learn it everything for the exam is to read multiple books and use Internet resources.

This does not mean you will fail the exam unless you use all of this stuff. Some exam candidates use only one book and pass the PTCE. How well do you want to be prepared? After all, some day you will be doing this work. The better you prepare yourself for the exam, the more successful you will be at your job.

Trying to help in San Jose, California

24 months ago

www.pharmacy-tech-study.com/ BEST WEBSITE EVER!!!! It will not teach you EVERYTHING you need to know but it really gets down with the basics. In regards to the "top generic/brand" names to memorize.. I probably ended up memorizing about 60 of them (not all of them necessarily being on the top 200 list available on the website) and just passed the PTCB exam this past Monday. And definitely agree about the calculations, over half the test was regarding calculations!!! Good luck!

Trying to help in San Jose, California

24 months ago

onelaura in Monson, Massachusetts said: I bought a used edition of Delmars Pharmacy Technician Certification and Review by Patricia K. Anthony, but didn't realize it was the 1999 version. is the info really outdated or should the basic info be the same?

I have seen the same book... I felt that it was pretty helpful.. but there was some outdated info... I cannot recommend a book because unfortunately, I fell victim to an "online prep course" that I paid $2,000 not realizing that it was a prep course. I thought I would complete the modules and I would be certified. OOPS! I guess you really do learn from your mistakes. Anyway, I used their "textbooks"

BUT...above this reply I listed a website that I found to be very helpful..I felt that basically everything I learned for $2,000 was listed on that website... I also forgot to mention that it has 26 FREE PRACTICE EXAMS that you could definitely take advantage of!

r.p.sims

15 months ago

i'm preparing for my exam soon and i got most of the math save for one. which is the gross profit and net profit. on this following problem i got the gross profit but i have been having a hard time working out the net profit. here is the problem, your help would be greatly appreciated .

zocor 5 mg, 60 tablet

acquisition cost= $85.47 AWP= $106.84 selling price= $109.93

Joe Medina in Denver, Colorado

15 months ago

Tech Lectures offers a study packet that has helped thousands in the passing of the Pharm Tech national exam. They also offer FREE email support as well. Specific, Excellent and Affordable material.

www.tlectures.com/reviewpacket.html

Joe Medina, CPhT

jean1954@sbcglobal.net in San Jose, California

12 months ago

A 4.29mg/ hr
B 19.5mg/hr
C 42.9mg/hr
D 19,500mg/hr

Write me back and let me know if you can see the simplicity -and the trick :> with this question

can u help me with this one

PTCBEASY in San Francsico, California

1 month ago

If you are struggling passing the PTCB exam or scared need that
extra assurance, you are not alone! I have been there! I'm happy
to help! I noticed many books out there make it harder than it needs to be! You don't need a tutor! You don't need to spend 10k for a school or 2k for one of those online schools. All you need is the right tools to pass the exam! I spent countless hours of hard
sweat work to find the right tools that made it easy to understand. I passed the PTCB exam with flying colors on the first attempt!

Please email me at ptcbeasy@gmail.com
or visit www.ebay.com/usr/wavelightthesmiths

a221aed

1 month ago

Is there a list of the Top 20 or so drugs to memorize? Or a grouping of drugs to definitely know for the test?

Thank you!

Texasgirl80 in Katy, Texas

1 month ago

Hi everyone, I see that most of you are discussing the PTCB exam and its antiquities :-) however, I have a different problem at hand. I have a Masters in Chemistry and havent been very lucky in the job market so much so that I've been unemployed for nearly 3 years. So I thought i'd give it a shot at being certified as a Pharmacy Technician. I'm only contemplating this field because I dont wana go back to college (not even for an associate's degree), I've had enough of college. I want to do a course that will not last longer than a year, preferably 3-4 months.
I have no prior experience being a PT, so I was wondering if this is the right choice for me ? considering all the negative opinions expressed by most of the ppl who've tested the waters. Plus, is it good to first get certified and then apply to a position or apply now while studying for the certification exam ? or what's the best way to crack into the field with no experience.
Any help/suggestions you can give is highly appreciated. Thanks

Seriousaboutthis in Markham, Illinois

1 month ago

Texasgirl80 in Katy, Texas said: Hi everyone, I see that most of you are discussing the PTCB exam and its antiquities :-) however, I have a different problem at hand. I have a Masters in Chemistry and havent been very lucky in the job market so much so that I've been unemployed for nearly 3 years. So I thought i'd give it a shot at being certified as a Pharmacy Technician. I'm only contemplating this field because I dont wana go back to college (not even for an associate 's degree), I've had enough of college. I want to do a course that will not last longer than a year, preferably 3-4 months.
I have no prior experience being a PT, so I was wondering if this is the right choice for me ? considering all the negative opinions expressed by most of the ppl who've tested the waters. Plus, is it good to first get certified and then apply to a position or apply now while studying for the certification exam ? or what's the best way to crack into the field with no experience.
Any help/suggestions you can give is highly appreciated. Thanks

I would just study for the exam and take the test. I don't know if the state of Texas requires that you need to go to school to be a pharmacy technician but I would make sure. In the meantime, I would start apply for jobs because it is pretty tough to break into but achievable. I'm surprised that you haven't broken into working with a drug company or are they looking for someone who concentrated in pharmacology?

Seriousaboutthis in Markham, Illinois

1 month ago

a221aed said: Is there a list of the Top 20 or so drugs to memorize? Or a grouping of drugs to definitely know for the test?

Thank you!

I wouldn't worry too much about the drugs per se. Without giving out too much, have an idea what drugs are used to treat common ailments that occur in the US. I would focus more on the math and insurance-related questions.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.