DO NOT ENROLL IN ANY PHARMACY TECH SCHOOLS!! WASTE OF TIME!!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 137)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Rachel in Las Vegas, Nevada

34 months ago

robert safner in somers, Connecticut said: i was lucky becasue after i got laid off after 23 years of service i was able to go back to school under wia, worker ivestment act. so my 14 week course was free. i didn't pay for my 3 books either. we had a great teacher with 15 people in my class. i loved my class. and i passed the borad test as well as a nha exam. i am not having any luck finding my first job. i am working with the state of ct to find a job.

Hey Robert, I was looking into the WIA but I have been getting the run around. No one, and I spoke to at least 5 diff. ppl, from Unemployment and Job Connect, seem to know what the WIA is. Can u tell me what steps you took to get the WIA to work for you n pay for your schooling? Even the folks at the different schools that I interviewed new nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TWHladyinLV in North Las Vegas, Nevada

34 months ago

The 2 grand course is real cheap as Tech schools go! Here in Las Vegas the schools are charging 20,000.00 for the 2 year program at the community college! I worked at UMCSN and they wouldn't even look at you if you didn't already have hospital experience! Not all hospitals are the same, but UMC is a level ONE Trauma Hospital. The work is long, grueling, and many new hires quit because they can't take the heat.
However, the beginning pay is upwards of 15.00/hour. At the end of my time there I was getting base pay of 25.40 (not including weekend and shift differential), We didn't have to pay into SS either (it being a county hospital), so you had a good fat paycheck every two weeks, AND vested in the retirement benefit after 5 years.
Of course my health suffered for the stress. I wound up with HBP, insomnia, ulcers, etc., I was in the upper 1% of pay for techs nationally. I was a Senior tech, buyer, IT trouble-shooter, you name it. Whatever happened on my shift I was held responsible for.
I REALLY get irritated at these posts from others here that say you can't make a career out of being a Pharmacy Tech! WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! I was a tech for 33 years, (still have my certification as a CPhT), and at 56 I am semi-retired and now have my own business (not pharmacy related). I've been certified for 15 years (Just received my gold pin), and I owe everything to the first hospital who hired me with no training (just three years of college as an Art major). When I quit work as a tech I was making more per year than my husband who has a Master's degree in Engineering (sad to say). I did work for several years as a retail tech, (before the CPhT came about in 95) after I passed the test I got hired right away at UMC in Lexington, KY (a great place to work I might add and also a Level ONE Trauma Hospital.
If you are ambitious and apply yourself there are MANY roles a tech can play in Hospital Pharmacy, buyer, tech Supervisor, Trainer, just to name a few.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

cindy in Delano, California

33 months ago

Has anyone heard of career step? Is it worth going to for pharmacy tech?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Felicia in West Baden Springs, Indiana

33 months ago

wizzy in Oneida, Tennessee said: Not all of the schools are scams i just went through one for pharm tech and it was great. My clinical site hired me right on at 13/ hr not all are scams.

What place did you use?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tony T. in Augusta, Georgia

33 months ago

I need more information regarding the training, Yahweh bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lady Kisu in Bell, California

33 months ago

Okay please HELP D:
1. community college for Pharm Tech. >> So it isn't really require? cause i'm trying to get these classes for Pharm Tech. Bio/Math/English/Health/introduction to Anatomy and physiology those are required class. Is it unnecessary? and it goes by semester.

2. What do I need to do to work behind counter at a pharmacy? I know Pharm Tech. is not an easy job to find. Also I live in Cali so what is the requirements to work in a Pharmacy w/o going to college...?

3. I read everything on here and wanna know is i can just buy some Pharm. book and study it and take a test(where though?) and if i passed it i get CPHT and able to work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Trying to help in San Jose, California

32 months ago

Lady Kisu in Bell, California said: Okay please HELP D:
1. community college for Pharm Tech. >> So it isn't really require? cause i'm trying to get these classes for Pharm Tech. Bio/Math/English/ Health /introduction to Anatomy and physiology those are required class. Is it unnecessary? and it goes by semester.

2. What do I need to do to work behind counter at a pharmacy? I know Pharm Tech. is not an easy job to find. Also I live in Cali so what is the requirements to work in a Pharmacy w/o going to college...?

3. I read everything on here and wanna know is i can just buy some Pharm. book and study it and take a test(where though?) and if i passed it i get CPHT and able to work?

Hi, I just took my PTCB exam on Monday and passed! However, during my process of studying for the exam I was COMPLETELY misinformed and COMPLETELY misguided! So, I am trying my best to share my knowledge to help others...

Considering you are in CA, I can safely say everything I will share will relate to you 100%.

#1 YOU DO NOT NEED ANY COMMUNITY COLLEGE PREP!!!!
#2 go here, www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/tch_app_pkt.pdf this is the official application to send to the CA state board of pharmacy in order to be a licensed technician. If you look on the 1st page under "QUALIFYING METHOD" you will see what qualifies you to apply to become licensed. So basically you could:
A- receive an AA in pharmacy tech (AVOID BY ALL MEANS.. this typically costs $20,000 for absolutely nothing!!!)
B -Complete an accredited course (ALSO AVOID! this will also cost a lot of $$ and completely unnecessary!!!)
C- Take the PTCB exam and become certified (The test is easy and costs $130). PLUS most places (i.e. Rite AID, CVS, Target.. and more) will pay you more if you are certified with PTCB!

For specifically pharm tech.. you do not need any bio, chem, anatomy classes. All you need is a HS diploma (or equivalent).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Trying to help in San Jose, California

32 months ago

Lady Kisu in Bell, California said: Okay please HELP D:
1. community college for Pharm Tech. >> So it isn't really require? cause i'm trying to get these classes for Pharm Tech. Bio/Math/English/ Health /introduction to Anatomy and physiology those are required class. Is it unnecessary? and it goes by semester.

.. In addition to the comment above...

Some retail pharmacy's (i.e. Rite Aid or grocery stores) offer a position called "Pharmacy Clerk" you will most likely get minimum wage or about $9/hr for this position and certification or license is NOT required.

To obtain a Pharmacy Tech Job.. at minimum you must be certified (can only be done thru PTCB exam, go to www.ptcb.org) if you are only certified with PTCB SOME jobs may hire you.. and again you will more likely be getting low wages.. ($9-$10/hr). However, most places will need you to get licensed (i.e. Target, CVS..) and your pay will range from $14-$17 per hour.

Again, to get licensed.. i highly recommend that you take PTCB exam.. your certificate makes you a CPhT, then you submit certificate along with State Board application.. and you will get licensed.

Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Minden, Nevada

32 months ago

cindy in Delano, California said: Has anyone heard of career step? Is it worth going to for pharmacy tech?

Career Step is a good school for pharmacy technician training. They designed their pharm tech course to prepare grads for the PTCB exam. There are some states that require pharmacy techs to train at certain schools and Career Step is approved in most of those states. They have a list of all the state requirements as well as if they are approved in that state (if required) at www.careerstep.com/pharmacy-technician-program-faqs/?uid=ref10077 Its in a PDF so you have to go to FAQ #4 and the PDF is listed there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nikkengkay in Anaheim, California

31 months ago

there's pharmacy tech class in nocrop (north orange county rop) its free if qualiied for a waiver and its a 2 sem program. im planning to take the assesment test which is algebra next month. hope i get in. :)

Gilbert Chan in Garden Grove, California

30 months ago

kalila in Stanton, California said: im currently enrolled in a pharmacy tech program that is completely free here in orange county, ca. i am 2 classes away from being done.

i know what you mean by the schools being a scam...you can definitely get trained as a pharmacy tech at one of these community pharmacies..the only thing is for me personally my long term goal is to work in a hospital pharmacy as they get paid wayyyy more than a tech at cvs or walgreens. or even working at a long term care pharmacy mixing iv's etc.

no hospital is going to hire someone with no experience or education credentials.

theres a big difference between cvs/walgreens and working for an actual hospital pharmacy.

hope that info helps..

good luck to all

What school are you talking about that's free In OC ? I live in garden grove and I'm interested in the medical field. - current Golden West College Student

tarhoshia@yahoo.com in Plant City, Florida

29 months ago

robert safner in somers, Connecticut said: i was lucky becasue after i got laid off after 23 years of service i was able to go back to school under wia, worker ivestment act. so my 14 week course was free. i didn't pay for my 3 books either. we had a great teacher with 15 people in my class. i loved my class. and i passed the borad test as well as a nha exam. i am not having any luck finding my first job. i am working with the state of ct to find a job.

try cvs can help you they also pay for your training look into that .

Serena in Gilmer, Texas

29 months ago

I dont know what are they talking about the $70 fee ? i just go and asked the cvs people that work there and they said they can training for 2 years and after you pass the test and get your certificate. You can go ahead to applies for the job .is that true ? am so frustrated ..please help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vkinnaird in Fayetteville, North Carolina

27 months ago

aprillynd in Cranford, New Jersey said: No. I think it is a waste of time. Plus, you do not make enough money to live on the salary. Try medical billing and coding at CareerStep online school. I was quoted 2,800.00 and they use great things to help you remember and memorize everything. Believe me, I went to school for teaching, so I learned the many ways and tools that can be used to help people learn.

I did this course too. But I couldn't finish due to my husband being army and us moving. I know it's online. And it was too much. Now I'm looking into another real career I wanna do. I just don't know what haha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

knightofavalon7 in Dayton, Ohio

27 months ago

I am thinking about becoming a pharmacy tech but I'm wondering about the education. I went to an information session down in Cincinnati last week. This place called Scarlet Oaks has a 10 week program that is $700. Then you still have to pay to take the certification exam. I found a free website that seems to have just about all the information you need to pass the exam. I'm wondering if I could just study from that website, take the exam and be able to get a job. Any thoughts? Here is the website I am talking about... pharmacy-tech-study.com/
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

ak165 in New York, New York

27 months ago

hi everyone,
you DO NOT need to attend a course to become a pharmacy technician. In fact, in new york the programs cannot be accreddited because you do not need them. Here is a helpful link:
www.nhanow.com/pharmacy-technician.aspx
the study packages/test will probably run for under $500

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Donna Leigh in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

26 months ago

As of Jan 2011, you have to pay for a training program regardless. There is no more working for a pharmacy w/o certification and/or state registration in the state of Florida.

Please see this newsletter for information:

issuu.com/floridapharmacyjournal/docs/fpaauge#

Donna Leigh in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

26 months ago

DENLEE599 in Howard Beach, New York said: Do not waste your money on any training course. I have been certified for 13 years and it still is not required by law or even cared about by most employers. If you are really interested just go apply to any neighborhood pharmacy or retail chain. They are all hiring inexperienced people for tech positions. Employers do not want to pay people like me....GOOD FOR YOU, sucks for me.

As of Jan 2011, you have to pay for a training program regardless. There is no more working for a pharmacy w/o certification and/or state registration in the state of Florida.

Please see this newsletter for information:

issuu.com/floridapharmacyjournal/docs/fpaauge#

litisk in Ventura, California

26 months ago

RNtoCPhT in Trenton, Michigan said: I wouldn't simply because you can go to community colleges for a whole lot less for the same training and preparation for the certification. That is highway robbery to pay $3500 especially if it is coming out of your own pocket. Most employers care less about what school you went to and whether it costed you a fortune.

In reference to past posters: Someone was correct when they stated you can get certified without taking any classes whatsoever. But i think it is wise to take more inexpensive but comparably same if not higher quality and trustworthy courses at a community college if this is your first experience in this sort of field. Pharmacology is nothing to play with and although being a CPhT may not be rocket science to some of you who believe it is a super easy job, it is important for those who aren't familiar to become properly educated and informed in this science....just know you don't have to pay an arm and leg to get certified! Some of these schools are just waiting for anxious people ready to bite the bait.

I am originally from Grosse Ile and my husband is from Trenton. I don't know if you know the Kruse Brothers, who are twins, graduating from THS in 1973. They are my husband's older brothers. I was just surprised to see that you are/were from Trenton, Michigan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

twinmom in Jacksonville, Florida

26 months ago

gina in San Dimas, California said: thepharmacyprofessionals.vpweb.com/default.html

check it out, excellent

Is this just for the state of California???

mlso21 in Scottsdale, Arizona

24 months ago

Whether schools like it or not, there is plenty of information online to further your "education" - although, the same could be said for so many different things... how often do we know what to do, but still don't do it?

Schooling/education in the classroom or online can give you the information you need as well as the watchful eye of a teacher - if you go in to the classroom, the social aspect is also brought full circle and improved.

Finding a job isn't always easy, but neither is finding a job for any other career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kcruse92 in Nacogdoches, Texas

24 months ago

SA said: I'm working at Walgreens as a tech trainee, registered with the state. I'm told when I pass my test, I will get a raise up to 12.50 per hour. I've worked in several jobs, from administration for the man to single ownership cna jobs. This by far is the WORST field you could get into. The pay is lousy, most but not all the pahrmacists treat you like dirt, and working for a retail chain is no different than walmart. I'm thoroughlly disgusted and am looking for another job. Oh and the "training" pfft...don't make me laugh, If you really want to do this, be a pharmacist in a hosptital and stay away from the retail chains

what city are you located in? i'm looking into getting the trainee license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

markjayson_primero@yahoo.com in Makati, Philippines

24 months ago

Greetings! im a bachelor of science in pharmacy graduate here in the philippines and i dont yet have a license as a pharmacist, unfortunately i did'nt pass my board exam thats why im not yet a pharmacist. But i want to become a pharmacy technician in the US which i heared they require certification to become one. My question is do i still need to study again and have this pharmacy technician certification?considering that i already have a bachelors degree in pharmacy which i had it for 4 years?
Can anyone help me pls? and thank you for your future reply..and im looking forward for your replies... thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jeanelle in Eagle, Colorado

24 months ago

So many people here have NO clue what they are talking about. Do your research! The PTCB is a NATIONAL certification, and requires NO classes(it costs $129 to take it). My husband and I bought a study guide off of amazon and then went to ptcb.org to schedule our tests. We both passed and are certified technicians now. MOST states require additional testing, but not all, such as Colorado, where my husband has been working for a year before he got his certification. He started in a retail pharmacy at $10/hr, and when he received his certification, he got a $2/hr raise. The PTCB is good in ALL 50 states, although you do have to renew it every year.

Also, hospital pharmacies WILL hire you without official schooling. As long as you have a High School Diploma, the PTCH certification, and any state required testing, youre good!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ak165 in New York, New York

24 months ago

Could you please inform me more about nyc licenses and jobs? I am considering taking a $1000 class but would have to pay more for childcare. Would I be able to get a job in nyc with only taking the exam?

chasxcurtis in Macon, Georgia

24 months ago

Really? I'm going to Virginia College of Macon, GA and I am friends with a lot of people that have already graduated. They had no problem finding jobs. I'm pretty sure it depends on what school. My school is amazing. Amazing teachers, amazing classes. Maybe you should have researched your school's rate of students finding jobs, before you went? Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

chasxcurtis in Macon, Georgia

24 months ago

Steven in Little Elm, Texas said: I just can't understand why so many people choose the super high cost route to be a pharmacy tech. A book or even better would be an online video course. There is just no use in being 10k in the hole to start out your career in pharmacy.

Example: goo.gl/WWjQr

I'm sure it depends on the school, as I have stated above. Our school does cost a bit, BUT... they pay for every single thing and they offer many free incentives. For instance, we all got to go to Six Flags for practically nothing the other day. Also, they are highly involved in the community. We all go out to eat and they pay for it. They throw parties and festivals that we get to enjoy, for free. Also, they are accredited by the HIGHEST association (ASHP), so... When I graduate, I will have that stamp of approval; and... considering that I have amazing grades (and just a FEW points shy of perfect attendance), I will have ZERO trouble getting started with my career (while tons of people chose to go the most cheap route to get certified... and end up losing their jobs to those that did not pick the "easiest" way).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

fabi in Hayward, California

23 months ago

kalila in Stanton, California said: im currently enrolled in a pharmacy tech program that is completely free here in orange county, ca. i am 2 classes away from being done.

i know what you mean by the schools being a scam...you can definitely get trained as a pharmacy tech at one of these community pharmacies..the only thing is for me personally my long term goal is to work in a hospital pharmacy as they get paid wayyyy more than a tech at cvs or walgreens. or even working at a long term care pharmacy mixing iv's etc.

no hospital is going to hire someone with no experience or education credentials.

theres a big difference between cvs/walgreens and working for an actual hospital pharmacy.

hope that info helps..

good luck to all

what is the name of this program?

LMNOP QRSTU in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

23 months ago

These comments are baffling. I just finished a pharmacy tech program at my local technical college. It's two heavy semesters (or three balanced) and cost me less than $5k. I'm sitting for the PTCE in two days and I'm confident I will pass because I learned SO MUCH relevant information in school.I also had the opportunity for two in-depth clinical rotations (one retail and one inpatient hospital) where I learned and experienced more than a study guide book could possibly give me. As an added bonus, my inpatient clinical experience landed me an entry-level job that pays *twice* what those of you who work retail make.

Around here, no one will hire you without education. I couldn't fathom trying to pass the certification exam, much less try to find a non-retail job without school. Online programs might be a little more sketchy, but please check with your local technical college to see if you can complete a program.

Not only will it improve your chances of getting hired, but it'll give you the hands-on experience so you won't look like a total idiot when you do get hired because you don't really know anything, you just memorized a bunch of words in a book.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

recode in San Francisco, California

22 months ago

In case you want to be certified by the PTCB, they are making changes soon so that you have to go through a program in order to take their test.

A Davis in Richmond, Virginia

22 months ago

recode in San Francisco, California said: In case you want to be certified by the PTCB, they are making changes soon so that you have to go through a program in order to take their test.

Where did you receive this information?

NYCPhT in Jersey City, New Jersey

22 months ago

Jeanelle in Eagle, Colorado said: So many people here have NO clue what they are talking about. Do your research! The PTCB is a NATIONAL certification, and requires NO classes(it costs $129 to take it). My husband and I bought a study guide off of amazon and then went to ptcb.org to schedule our tests. We both passed and are certified technicians now. MOST states require additional testing, but not all, such as Colorado, where my husband has been working for a year before he got his certification. He started in a retail pharmacy at $10/ hr , and when he received his certification, he got a $2/hr raise. The PTCB is good in ALL 50 states, although you do have to renew it every year.

Also, hospital pharmacies WILL hire you without official schooling. As long as you have a High School Diploma, the PTCH certification, and any state required testing, youre good!

I agree with your statement that everyone needs to do their research but you do make some blanket statements that could be misleading. Although PTCB is national accreditation some states do require formal training before they will issue a professional license, the great thing is you can work without being licensed by the state unlike some other allied health professions. Everyone does not start out at $10. I work for a nationally recognized chain & they start new techs out @ $7.90/hour, if you have previous experience even if its just in retail or cust svc you can negotiate for more $. Also you're lucky if you get a $1.00 raise after cert. the average is around $0.50. I got more bc I had experience but from what I've seen pay varies wildly from state to state. I advise people to talk to techs in their area to get a better understanding of what they should expect & what to avoid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

NYCPhT in Queens, New York

22 months ago

markjayson_primero@yahoo.com in Makati, Philippines said: Greetings! im a bachelor of science in pharmacy graduate here in the philippines and i dont yet have a license as a pharmacist, unfortunately i did'nt pass my board exam thats why im not yet a pharmacist. But i want to become a pharmacy technician in the US which i heared they require certification to become one. My question is do i still need to study again and have this pharmacy technician certification?considering that i already have a bachelors degree in pharmacy which i had it for 4 years?
Can anyone help me pls? and thank you for your future reply..and im looking forward for your replies... thanks!

I have worked with techs who were Pharmacists in other countries & from what I can tell as long as you're legally able to work here you can get/apply for a tech job. It probably would be a good idea to take the cert exam just bc it sets you apart from uncertified techs & gives you the chance to familiarize yourself with US pharm law.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

kalila in Garden Grove, California

21 months ago

hey where is the free place in OC for pharmacist tech training?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sungsummerlee in La Puente, California

21 months ago

can you tell me some information of the school?

Amanda in Minden, Nevada

20 months ago

Everyone needs to keep in mind that each state has its own requirements. Some states require absolutely nothing, some require that you get formal training or on-the-job training or PTCB certification. So you need to CHECK YOUR STATE REQUIREMENTS BEFORE YOU ENROLL in a course. Go to your state board of pharmacy website to look them up or select your state on pharmtechtraining.net/state-requirements.html to view requirements for your state. Don't get confused because some people on here are saying you don't need training at all, your state may require it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

buttercup26 in Hickory, North Carolina

20 months ago

DENLEE599 in Howard Beach, New York said: Do not waste your money on any training course. I have been certified for 13 years and it still is not required by law or even cared about by most employers. If you are really interested just go apply to any neighborhood pharmacy or retail chain. They are all hiring inexperienced people for tech positions. Employers do not want to pay people like me....GOOD FOR YOU, sucks for me.

The training program is now being required is some states..like FL and NC.

bahbash41 in Fredericksburg, Virginia

20 months ago

Harold Thomas in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: I am looking for a Pharmacy Tech job for almost 6 months. I am certified but the experience I only have is from my externship in a retail and hospital . Employers require a year or more to get hired. It's sad at times thinking that you have gone to school and be certified but no company wants to hire you because you lack experience.

I feel your pain Harold...I want to move to Florida and the Board is telling me that my 20+ years experience isn't enough....that, I need formal Training........really!!!!! after training over 60 people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Demetria Richardson in Atlanta, Georgia

20 months ago

I'm going to Lakewood College for the Pharmacy Tech is 10 months $2000 total and they have payment plan. I know in the state of GA no formal education is needed- you can sit for the exam get certified and that's it. However I need to use VA education benefits on a school with a high demand career and Pharmacy Tech was on the list of high demand jobs according to the DOL. Also you don't have to work for hospital or drug store, the major health plans hire CPT for mail order patients- so that's the avenue I'm taking. Check out Humana,Cigna, United etc...keyword Pharmacy and you'll be surprised the opportunities.

Emily in Richardson, Texas

20 months ago

Demetria Richardson in Atlanta, Georgia said: I'm going to Lakewood College for the Pharmacy Tech is 10 months $2000 total and they have payment plan. I know in the state of GA no formal education is needed- you can sit for the exam get certified and that's it. However I need to use VA education benefits on a school with a high demand career and Pharmacy Tech was on the list of high demand jobs according to the DOL. Also you don't have to work for hospital or drug store, the major health plans hire CPT for mail order patients- so that's the avenue I'm taking. Check out Humana,Cigna, United etc...keyword Pharmacy and you'll be surprised the opportunities.

In Texas we have it where you don't need formal education either. I used a course on udemy to pass the PTCB cuz I don't have that kind of money. It was around $200 but I gotta coupon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TechCakes in Las Vegas, Nevada

19 months ago

Not all schools are a scam. You just have to be wise about your choices and do some research beforehand. One major thing you need to consider are the availability of jobs in the field in the area you live in. Are you willing to relocate for better pay? Statistically, 3/4 of all technicians and pharmacists work in retail settings, so don't think that you are just going to land that nice paying hospital job without any formal or admixture training. Schools also teach you vital skills that you may lack, such as professionalism, medical terminology and and how to work well with others, etc. Keep in mind with any school, you get back what you put it and they are there to give you the tools you need not to hold your hand through the process, so your level of success depends on how much effort and drive you put into your education and career. Education and awareness minimize medication errors and possible death.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

L_ in Georgia

19 months ago

www.ptcb.org/about-ptcb/crest-initiative#.UlBQAzivGsg

It appears that by 2020, taking a course at an accredited institution will be mandatory for anyone that even wants to take the PTCE in the first place. I also predict that once it is mandatory, schools will probably raise tuition prices knowing that since you are forced to take it, you can't really complain about the price. So troublesome.

pezamber in Middletown, Indiana

19 months ago

I happen to be a PTCB pharmacy technician. I did take an online Pharmacy course through IUPUI. I think it was something like $600-$700. I got on Indiana's website for the Pharmacy Board here and looked up locations/contacts of facilities that will train you on the job. I happened to call a hospital in Muncie and talked to the Director of Pharmacy at that time and she said to keep an eye out on the job listings because she had 2 that were coming up soon. Sure enough, I applied and was hired. I worked there for nearly a year. Near the end of that year, they told us that the hospital would soon be requiring ALL of their pharmacy techs to be nationally certified. They had a pharmacist on staff that taught a PTCB readiness class. I took the test and passed. There are still ways to get hired without taking any formal training...do you know of a way in? Somebody you know works there already? No? Then cold call the places you want to work and talk to the managing pharmacist. Let them know you are interested. BY THE WAY....NICE PAYING HOSPITAL JOB? REALLY? If you think $13/hr is nice paying then go for it. For everything you need to learn along the way, the pay is seriously peanuts.

Kay in Van Nuys, California

18 months ago

What schools offer free training ??

hope that info helps..

good luck to all

TechCakes in Las Vegas, Nevada

18 months ago

pezamber in Middletown, Indiana said: I happen to be a PTCB pharmacy technician. I did take an online Pharmacy course through IUPUI. I think it was something like $600-$700. I got on Indiana's website for the Pharmacy Board here and looked up locations/contacts of facilities that will train you on the job. I happened to call a hospital in Muncie and talked to the Director of Pharmacy at that time and she said to keep an eye out on the job listings because she had 2 that were coming up soon. Sure enough, I applied and was hired. I worked there for nearly a year. Near the end of that year, they told us that the hospital would soon be requiring ALL of their pharmacy techs to be nationally certified. They had a pharmacist on staff that taught a PTCB readiness class. I took the test and passed. There are still ways to get hired without taking any formal training...do you know of a way in? Somebody you know works there already? No? Then cold call the places you want to work and talk to the managing pharmacist. Let them know you are interested. BY THE WAY....NICE PAYING HOSPITAL JOB? REALLY? If you think $13/ hr is nice paying then go for it. For everything you need to learn along the way, the pay is seriously peanuts.

As I stated in my first post, the pay depends on where you live and the availability of jobs. Hospital may pay $13/hr where you live, but most hospitals here in Las Vegas start at $18/hr, which is way better than what a person would be paid working in a retail pharmacy. I was only trying to give perspective to people on this forum, not to argue about what someone's perception of good and bad pay is because not everywhere is the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

verve92 in Princeton Area, New Jersey

18 months ago

Agreed! I manage at a CVS and they keep lowering the pay for techs now at $8.25/hr? What? One could wait tables and get more! But no bennies so they have you screwed. We get unqualified applicants and goof ball 20 year olds who show to work half in the bag! All the while capping raises at 2% for an excellent performance review? Yet are building new stores and stock way up! Bollocks! All the good techs leave and work at hospitals or other settings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Marseille, France

17 months ago

John in Saint Albans, New York said: Everyone please listen to me now and know that the only advice you pay for is the ones you dont take. While it is true that everyone don't have the same luck there is a extremely high possible that if you take your little bit of money to pay for these Pharm Tech course you will be rob. First by these prostitute schools then by the job market which dont want to employ you unless they know you. I have an advance degree in sciences and I am also a CPhT. I took just two months to complete a one year course becaues I am not from America I am use to higher educational standard, So all the Pharm Cal, pharmocology and top two hundred drugs courses were butter for me.I did an externship and after that there was no job. Everyone is sending you to apply online and then thats it. At the end of the day they employed their frinds and family members that how it is. But it all your decision to go ahead to do these course or not. I think it is only fair to let other person know that their is no demand for any pharm Tech and the Pharmacies are using PharmD students on their first year ti fill in. My advise however if you know that you have the ability like me to go and study to be a medical dcotor, register nurse, accountant or pharmacist ect. My wife is at pharmacy school on her second year and I am starting RN school soon. My educational ability is way above there certificate courses like Pharm tech.When I did the CPhT I almost fall asleep the way the exam is so basic. So listen to me strive for the highest and not for these labourer job which keep turning people down.

... I dońt know if it's possible to work in a cvs pharmacy or an hospital in us with an advanced science degre like some other countries. I don't know neither if they make any transfer or pharmacy equivalencies in universities in us? Can u advise me? Plse?

eodwife in Eglin AFB, Florida

16 months ago

I am beyond confused. I applied for a Pharmacy Tech job with the local CVS and was beat out for the job because another applicant had the certification. What's the best route to go? Do the schooling on-line on my own or just hope I find a job where I can get them to pay for my certification? What's the BEST on-line school to do? I am just sick of taking jobs that I DON'T like just to pay bills. I'm sick of waiting and want to start my future NOW! Please I'd appreciate any and ALL HELP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

stupidjob in Akron, Ohio

15 months ago

I'm studying the pharm tech books on my own. Does anyone know if Ohio requires any training to get the license or a job?

Seriousaboutthis in Markham, Illinois

15 months ago

stupidjob in Akron, Ohio said: I'm studying the pharm tech books on my own. Does anyone know if Ohio requires any training to get the license or a job?

www.pharmacy.ohio.gov/
Call them and and ask them the requirements.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.