DO NOT ENROLL IN ANY PHARMACY TECH SCHOOLS!! WASTE OF TIME!!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 158)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

markjayson_primero@yahoo.com in Makati, Philippines

20 months ago

Greetings! im a bachelor of science in pharmacy graduate here in the philippines and i dont yet have a license as a pharmacist, unfortunately i did'nt pass my board exam thats why im not yet a pharmacist. But i want to become a pharmacy technician in the US which i heared they require certification to become one. My question is do i still need to study again and have this pharmacy technician certification?considering that i already have a bachelors degree in pharmacy which i had it for 4 years?
Can anyone help me pls? and thank you for your future reply..and im looking forward for your replies... thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeanelle in Eagle, Colorado

19 months ago

So many people here have NO clue what they are talking about. Do your research! The PTCB is a NATIONAL certification, and requires NO classes(it costs $129 to take it). My husband and I bought a study guide off of amazon and then went to ptcb.org to schedule our tests. We both passed and are certified technicians now. MOST states require additional testing, but not all, such as Colorado, where my husband has been working for a year before he got his certification. He started in a retail pharmacy at $10/hr, and when he received his certification, he got a $2/hr raise. The PTCB is good in ALL 50 states, although you do have to renew it every year.

Also, hospital pharmacies WILL hire you without official schooling. As long as you have a High School Diploma, the PTCH certification, and any state required testing, youre good!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ak165 in New York, New York

19 months ago

Could you please inform me more about nyc licenses and jobs? I am considering taking a $1000 class but would have to pay more for childcare. Would I be able to get a job in nyc with only taking the exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steven in Little Elm, Texas

19 months ago

I just can't understand why so many people choose the super high cost route to be a pharmacy tech. A book or even better would be an online video course. There is just no use in being 10k in the hole to start out your career in pharmacy.

Example: goo.gl/WWjQr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

chasxcurtis in Macon, Georgia

19 months ago

robert safner in somers, Connecticut said: i was lucky becasue after i got laid off after 23 years of service i was able to go back to school under wia, worker ivestment act. so my 14 week course was free. i didn't pay for my 3 books either. we had a great teacher with 15 people in my class. i loved my class. and i passed the borad test as well as a nha exam. i am not having any luck finding my first job. i am working with the state of ct to find a job.

Really? I'm going to Virginia College of Macon, GA and I am friends with a lot of people that have already graduated. They had no problem finding jobs. I'm pretty sure it depends on what school. My school is amazing. Amazing teachers, amazing classes. Maybe you should have researched your school's rate of students finding jobs, before you went? Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

chasxcurtis in Macon, Georgia

19 months ago

Steven in Little Elm, Texas said: I just can't understand why so many people choose the super high cost route to be a pharmacy tech. A book or even better would be an online video course. There is just no use in being 10k in the hole to start out your career in pharmacy.

Example: goo.gl/WWjQr

I'm sure it depends on the school, as I have stated above. Our school does cost a bit, BUT... they pay for every single thing and they offer many free incentives. For instance, we all got to go to Six Flags for practically nothing the other day. Also, they are highly involved in the community. We all go out to eat and they pay for it. They throw parties and festivals that we get to enjoy, for free. Also, they are accredited by the HIGHEST association (ASHP), so... When I graduate, I will have that stamp of approval; and... considering that I have amazing grades (and just a FEW points shy of perfect attendance), I will have ZERO trouble getting started with my career (while tons of people chose to go the most cheap route to get certified... and end up losing their jobs to those that did not pick the "easiest" way).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

fabi in Hayward, California

19 months ago

kalila in Stanton, California said: im currently enrolled in a pharmacy tech program that is completely free here in orange county, ca. i am 2 classes away from being done.

i know what you mean by the schools being a scam...you can definitely get trained as a pharmacy tech at one of these community pharmacies..the only thing is for me personally my long term goal is to work in a hospital pharmacy as they get paid wayyyy more than a tech at cvs or walgreens. or even working at a long term care pharmacy mixing iv's etc.

no hospital is going to hire someone with no experience or education credentials.

theres a big difference between cvs/walgreens and working for an actual hospital pharmacy.

hope that info helps..

good luck to all

what is the name of this program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LMNOP QRSTU in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

18 months ago

These comments are baffling. I just finished a pharmacy tech program at my local technical college. It's two heavy semesters (or three balanced) and cost me less than $5k. I'm sitting for the PTCE in two days and I'm confident I will pass because I learned SO MUCH relevant information in school.I also had the opportunity for two in-depth clinical rotations (one retail and one inpatient hospital) where I learned and experienced more than a study guide book could possibly give me. As an added bonus, my inpatient clinical experience landed me an entry-level job that pays *twice* what those of you who work retail make.

Around here, no one will hire you without education. I couldn't fathom trying to pass the certification exam, much less try to find a non-retail job without school. Online programs might be a little more sketchy, but please check with your local technical college to see if you can complete a program.

Not only will it improve your chances of getting hired, but it'll give you the hands-on experience so you won't look like a total idiot when you do get hired because you don't really know anything, you just memorized a bunch of words in a book.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Lexytiffany in Palm Desert, California

18 months ago

lpalcrew in Irvine, California said: where are you taking the classes for free in OC? I just moved into the pharmacy dept @ Costco and am thinking about getting certified...thanks for any info.

Hey! I'm moving to Orange County and strongly interested in Pharm Tech! What school were you going to ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

recode in San Francisco, California

18 months ago

In case you want to be certified by the PTCB, they are making changes soon so that you have to go through a program in order to take their test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

A Davis in Richmond, Virginia

17 months ago

recode in San Francisco, California said: In case you want to be certified by the PTCB, they are making changes soon so that you have to go through a program in order to take their test.

Where did you receive this information?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NYCPhT in Jersey City, New Jersey

17 months ago

Jeanelle in Eagle, Colorado said: So many people here have NO clue what they are talking about. Do your research! The PTCB is a NATIONAL certification, and requires NO classes(it costs $129 to take it). My husband and I bought a study guide off of amazon and then went to ptcb.org to schedule our tests. We both passed and are certified technicians now. MOST states require additional testing, but not all, such as Colorado, where my husband has been working for a year before he got his certification. He started in a retail pharmacy at $10/ hr , and when he received his certification, he got a $2/hr raise. The PTCB is good in ALL 50 states, although you do have to renew it every year.

Also, hospital pharmacies WILL hire you without official schooling. As long as you have a High School Diploma, the PTCH certification, and any state required testing, youre good!

I agree with your statement that everyone needs to do their research but you do make some blanket statements that could be misleading. Although PTCB is national accreditation some states do require formal training before they will issue a professional license, the great thing is you can work without being licensed by the state unlike some other allied health professions. Everyone does not start out at $10. I work for a nationally recognized chain & they start new techs out @ $7.90/hour, if you have previous experience even if its just in retail or cust svc you can negotiate for more $. Also you're lucky if you get a $1.00 raise after cert. the average is around $0.50. I got more bc I had experience but from what I've seen pay varies wildly from state to state. I advise people to talk to techs in their area to get a better understanding of what they should expect & what to avoid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

NYCPhT in Queens, New York

17 months ago

markjayson_primero@yahoo.com in Makati, Philippines said: Greetings! im a bachelor of science in pharmacy graduate here in the philippines and i dont yet have a license as a pharmacist, unfortunately i did'nt pass my board exam thats why im not yet a pharmacist. But i want to become a pharmacy technician in the US which i heared they require certification to become one. My question is do i still need to study again and have this pharmacy technician certification?considering that i already have a bachelors degree in pharmacy which i had it for 4 years?
Can anyone help me pls? and thank you for your future reply..and im looking forward for your replies... thanks!

I have worked with techs who were Pharmacists in other countries & from what I can tell as long as you're legally able to work here you can get/apply for a tech job. It probably would be a good idea to take the cert exam just bc it sets you apart from uncertified techs & gives you the chance to familiarize yourself with US pharm law.

kalila in Garden Grove, California

17 months ago

hey where is the free place in OC for pharmacist tech training?

sungsummerlee in La Puente, California

17 months ago

can you tell me some information of the school?

Amanda in Minden, Nevada

16 months ago

Everyone needs to keep in mind that each state has its own requirements. Some states require absolutely nothing, some require that you get formal training or on-the-job training or PTCB certification. So you need to CHECK YOUR STATE REQUIREMENTS BEFORE YOU ENROLL in a course. Go to your state board of pharmacy website to look them up or select your state on pharmtechtraining.net/state-requirements.html to view requirements for your state. Don't get confused because some people on here are saying you don't need training at all, your state may require it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

buttercup26 in Hickory, North Carolina

16 months ago

DENLEE599 in Howard Beach, New York said: Do not waste your money on any training course. I have been certified for 13 years and it still is not required by law or even cared about by most employers. If you are really interested just go apply to any neighborhood pharmacy or retail chain. They are all hiring inexperienced people for tech positions. Employers do not want to pay people like me....GOOD FOR YOU, sucks for me.

The training program is now being required is some states..like FL and NC.

bahbash41 in Fredericksburg, Virginia

16 months ago

Harold Thomas in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: I am looking for a Pharmacy Tech job for almost 6 months. I am certified but the experience I only have is from my externship in a retail and hospital . Employers require a year or more to get hired. It's sad at times thinking that you have gone to school and be certified but no company wants to hire you because you lack experience.

I feel your pain Harold...I want to move to Florida and the Board is telling me that my 20+ years experience isn't enough....that, I need formal Training........really!!!!! after training over 60 people.

Demetria Richardson in Atlanta, Georgia

16 months ago

I'm going to Lakewood College for the Pharmacy Tech is 10 months $2000 total and they have payment plan. I know in the state of GA no formal education is needed- you can sit for the exam get certified and that's it. However I need to use VA education benefits on a school with a high demand career and Pharmacy Tech was on the list of high demand jobs according to the DOL. Also you don't have to work for hospital or drug store, the major health plans hire CPT for mail order patients- so that's the avenue I'm taking. Check out Humana,Cigna, United etc...keyword Pharmacy and you'll be surprised the opportunities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Richardson, Texas

15 months ago

Demetria Richardson in Atlanta, Georgia said: I'm going to Lakewood College for the Pharmacy Tech is 10 months $2000 total and they have payment plan. I know in the state of GA no formal education is needed- you can sit for the exam get certified and that's it. However I need to use VA education benefits on a school with a high demand career and Pharmacy Tech was on the list of high demand jobs according to the DOL. Also you don't have to work for hospital or drug store, the major health plans hire CPT for mail order patients- so that's the avenue I'm taking. Check out Humana,Cigna, United etc...keyword Pharmacy and you'll be surprised the opportunities.

In Texas we have it where you don't need formal education either. I used a course on udemy to pass the PTCB cuz I don't have that kind of money. It was around $200 but I gotta coupon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TechCakes in Las Vegas, Nevada

15 months ago

Not all schools are a scam. You just have to be wise about your choices and do some research beforehand. One major thing you need to consider are the availability of jobs in the field in the area you live in. Are you willing to relocate for better pay? Statistically, 3/4 of all technicians and pharmacists work in retail settings, so don't think that you are just going to land that nice paying hospital job without any formal or admixture training. Schools also teach you vital skills that you may lack, such as professionalism, medical terminology and and how to work well with others, etc. Keep in mind with any school, you get back what you put it and they are there to give you the tools you need not to hold your hand through the process, so your level of success depends on how much effort and drive you put into your education and career. Education and awareness minimize medication errors and possible death.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

L_ in Georgia

14 months ago

www.ptcb.org/about-ptcb/crest-initiative#.UlBQAzivGsg

It appears that by 2020, taking a course at an accredited institution will be mandatory for anyone that even wants to take the PTCE in the first place. I also predict that once it is mandatory, schools will probably raise tuition prices knowing that since you are forced to take it, you can't really complain about the price. So troublesome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pezamber in Middletown, Indiana

14 months ago

I happen to be a PTCB pharmacy technician. I did take an online Pharmacy course through IUPUI. I think it was something like $600-$700. I got on Indiana's website for the Pharmacy Board here and looked up locations/contacts of facilities that will train you on the job. I happened to call a hospital in Muncie and talked to the Director of Pharmacy at that time and she said to keep an eye out on the job listings because she had 2 that were coming up soon. Sure enough, I applied and was hired. I worked there for nearly a year. Near the end of that year, they told us that the hospital would soon be requiring ALL of their pharmacy techs to be nationally certified. They had a pharmacist on staff that taught a PTCB readiness class. I took the test and passed. There are still ways to get hired without taking any formal training...do you know of a way in? Somebody you know works there already? No? Then cold call the places you want to work and talk to the managing pharmacist. Let them know you are interested. BY THE WAY....NICE PAYING HOSPITAL JOB? REALLY? If you think $13/hr is nice paying then go for it. For everything you need to learn along the way, the pay is seriously peanuts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kay in Van Nuys, California

14 months ago

What schools offer free training ??

kalila in Stanton, California said: im currently enrolled in a pharmacy tech program that is completely free here in orange county, ca. i am 2 classes away from being done.

i know what you mean by the schools being a scam...you can definitely get trained as a pharmacy tech at one of these community pharmacies..the only thing is for me personally my long term goal is to work in a hospital pharmacy as they get paid wayyyy more than a tech at cvs or walgreens. or even working at a long term care pharmacy mixing iv's etc.

no hospital is going to hire someone with no experience or education credentials.

theres a big difference between cvs/walgreens and working for an actual hospital pharmacy.

hope that info helps..

good luck to all

TechCakes in Las Vegas, Nevada

14 months ago

pezamber in Middletown, Indiana said: I happen to be a PTCB pharmacy technician. I did take an online Pharmacy course through IUPUI. I think it was something like $600-$700. I got on Indiana's website for the Pharmacy Board here and looked up locations/contacts of facilities that will train you on the job. I happened to call a hospital in Muncie and talked to the Director of Pharmacy at that time and she said to keep an eye out on the job listings because she had 2 that were coming up soon. Sure enough, I applied and was hired. I worked there for nearly a year. Near the end of that year, they told us that the hospital would soon be requiring ALL of their pharmacy techs to be nationally certified. They had a pharmacist on staff that taught a PTCB readiness class. I took the test and passed. There are still ways to get hired without taking any formal training...do you know of a way in? Somebody you know works there already? No? Then cold call the places you want to work and talk to the managing pharmacist. Let them know you are interested. BY THE WAY....NICE PAYING HOSPITAL JOB? REALLY? If you think $13/ hr is nice paying then go for it. For everything you need to learn along the way, the pay is seriously peanuts.

As I stated in my first post, the pay depends on where you live and the availability of jobs. Hospital may pay $13/hr where you live, but most hospitals here in Las Vegas start at $18/hr, which is way better than what a person would be paid working in a retail pharmacy. I was only trying to give perspective to people on this forum, not to argue about what someone's perception of good and bad pay is because not everywhere is the same.

verve92 in Princeton Area, New Jersey

14 months ago

robert safner in somers, Connecticut said: i was lucky becasue after i got laid off after 23 years of service i was able to go back to school under wia, worker ivestment act. so my 14 week course was free. i didn't pay for my 3 books either. we had a great teacher with 15 people in my class. i loved my class. and i passed the borad test as well as a nha exam. i am not having any luck finding my first job. i am working with the state of ct to find a job.

Agreed! I manage at a CVS and they keep lowering the pay for techs now at $8.25/hr? What? One could wait tables and get more! But no bennies so they have you screwed. We get unqualified applicants and goof ball 20 year olds who show to work half in the bag! All the while capping raises at 2% for an excellent performance review? Yet are building new stores and stock way up! Bollocks! All the good techs leave and work at hospitals or other settings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Marseille, France

12 months ago

John in Saint Albans, New York said: Everyone please listen to me now and know that the only advice you pay for is the ones you dont take. While it is true that everyone don't have the same luck there is a extremely high possible that if you take your little bit of money to pay for these Pharm Tech course you will be rob. First by these prostitute schools then by the job market which dont want to employ you unless they know you. I have an advance degree in sciences and I am also a CPhT. I took just two months to complete a one year course becaues I am not from America I am use to higher educational standard, So all the Pharm Cal, pharmocology and top two hundred drugs courses were butter for me.I did an externship and after that there was no job. Everyone is sending you to apply online and then thats it. At the end of the day they employed their frinds and family members that how it is. But it all your decision to go ahead to do these course or not. I think it is only fair to let other person know that their is no demand for any pharm Tech and the Pharmacies are using PharmD students on their first year ti fill in. My advise however if you know that you have the ability like me to go and study to be a medical dcotor, register nurse, accountant or pharmacist ect. My wife is at pharmacy school on her second year and I am starting RN school soon. My educational ability is way above there certificate courses like Pharm tech.When I did the CPhT I almost fall asleep the way the exam is so basic. So listen to me strive for the highest and not for these labourer job which keep turning people down.

... I dońt know if it's possible to work in a cvs pharmacy or an hospital in us with an advanced science degre like some other countries. I don't know neither if they make any transfer or pharmacy equivalencies in universities in us? Can u advise me? Plse?

eodwife in Eglin AFB, Florida

12 months ago

I am beyond confused. I applied for a Pharmacy Tech job with the local CVS and was beat out for the job because another applicant had the certification. What's the best route to go? Do the schooling on-line on my own or just hope I find a job where I can get them to pay for my certification? What's the BEST on-line school to do? I am just sick of taking jobs that I DON'T like just to pay bills. I'm sick of waiting and want to start my future NOW! Please I'd appreciate any and ALL HELP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

stupidjob in Akron, Ohio

11 months ago

I'm studying the pharm tech books on my own. Does anyone know if Ohio requires any training to get the license or a job?

Seriousaboutthis in Markham, Illinois

11 months ago

stupidjob in Akron, Ohio said: I'm studying the pharm tech books on my own. Does anyone know if Ohio requires any training to get the license or a job?

www.pharmacy.ohio.gov/
Call them and and ask them the requirements.

Annette Simmons in Matthews, North Carolina

10 months ago

This heading is one of the first things that appear when looking up "Pharmacy Technician" on Google. It sends the wrong message that completely downgrades our profession. Pharmacy technology is one of the best kept secrets in health care, but the days of studying for a week or two, passing an exam with random questions, and getting a high-paying hospital job are over. You must educate yourself, whether or not your state mandates it. Pharmacists and nurses are doing more of the physicians' work, and technicians are stepping in to do more challenging work previously performed by pharmacists and nurses. Sure, technicians with a lot of experience may get grandfathered in, but I take it most of you reading this have not yet entered the profession. If you are interested in a career as a pharmacy technician, I urge you to get the associate's degree. Otherwise, those who have it will make more money than you, and will have an edge on management and promotion opportunities. I worked for 17 years as a tech, and a new graduate with the associate's degree is legally allowed to CHECK MY WORK in 13 states! More and more AS technicians are entering the workforce, and employers are noticing a difference--they are much easier and faster to train.

TWA1958 in Tahlequah, Oklahoma

10 months ago

You do not need an Associate degree (A.A.S.), and I would advise against that, unless you can perhaps combine your coursework with "real" academics, such as science major Biology and Chemistry coursework. It is true that many states are now requiring PTCB certification prior to issuing you a permit/license/registration to be employed as a pharmacy technician (except in my state of Oklahome, which I feel may change soon)...As to pharmacy techs doing the work of a pharmacist, this is only partially true...In no state that I'm aware of does a tech have the legal authority to work as a pharmacist, and check another technicians work, prior to being dispensed...This would be practicing pharmacy, just as technicians aren't allowed to discuss anything about medications (Rx, or OTC) with patients/customers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shanequa

10 months ago

hope that info helps..

good luck to all

Well I live in NYC and I would like how can or where do I get the resources and training to become a pharmacy tech .

yinyinhsieh@gmail.com in Los Angeles, California

9 months ago

where and what pharmacy technician school did you do? Please let me know.

Seriousaboutthis in Markham, Illinois

9 months ago

Shanequa said: Well I live in NYC and I would like how can or where do I get the resources and training to become a pharmacy tech .

You can start by contacting your local community college or even some colleges/university offers a extension course in being a pharmacy technician.

SeekingAdvice in Hudson, New York

9 months ago

aprillynd in Cranford, New Jersey said: That is too much money! I suggest that you do more research on many other schools. For Pharmacy tech, you can do self study and then take the exam yourself. The books can be found in your local library or if you feel that you want to own them, you can buy them. I would suggest that if you still want to go to school, investigate a school called CareerStep.com , I did and was plesantly suprised at the cost of their courses because I was quoted at Sanford Brown the same amount you were, but Career step, which is an online school that I would highly recommend, only quoted me $2,800 with a holiday break sale and 3,000 without. They are not expensive and I have spoken to a former student who was able to get a job as a Medical Transcriptionist. If you are dead set to become a Pharmacy Technition you must also do your research on the salary information. There are many other professions in the medical field that make so much more money. The hard part is actually getting the job once you have passed the test. Most hospitals require an Associates degree or a Bacholars Degree, so do alot more information gathering on the places where you want to be employed and the schools you are interested in. You do not have to spend that much money to get educated because they only care about the $$$$$$! and not you as a student. A local community college will cost you so much less too! If you are unemployed, your unemployment office will send you back to school for free. Do your research on the state aide programs in your state if you do no make enough money as well. My friend is going through TANF in Maine which if you work less than 18 hours, you get your schooling for free. If your state has something like that, you need to find out.

You mentioned studying on your own, which books would you recommend as study aids? Thank you

SeekingAdvice in Hudson, New York

9 months ago

April in Cranford - You mentioned studying on your own, which books would you recommend as study aids? Thank you

TWA1958 in Tahlequah, Oklahoma

9 months ago

SeekingAdvice in Hudson, New York said: You mentioned studying on your own, which books would you recommend as study aids? Thank you

You can go to any Barnes and Noble and get a PTCB review book...That's what I did in Texas in 2008, studied about 1 week, and passed the test at a Pearson with flying colors...No need to enroll in an Associates degree (let alone a Bachelors) unless that program is very heavy in Pre-Med level science courses (Chemistry, both inorganic and organic, Anatomy & Physiology, and Microbiology), then maybe it might make sense, because the pay for Pharmacy Techs (especially retail) sucks...You might want to think about some other career in the allied health care field that pays alot better, such as Radiology Tech, or aim high and become a Physician Assistant, or Nurse Practitioner...Just a thought...Best of luck in whatever your decision may be :)

Anna in Hampton, Virginia

9 months ago

Anyone heard about Penn Foster? You can enroll on their 9 month program for 300$. Is it worth it? Any good reviews about it?

PDavis in Richmond, Virginia

9 months ago

Anna in Hampton, Virginia said: Anyone heard about Penn Foster? You can enroll on their 9 month program for 300$. Is it worth it? Any good reviews about it?

Why enroll in a 9 month program when you can learn online, at your own pace, for less?

A new Pharmacy Technician Course has been developed that will allow you to become a Pharmacy Tech in far less time and money:

www.RxTechExam.com

keione30 in Tracy, California

8 months ago

markjayson_primero@yahoo.com in Makati, Philippines said: Greetings! im a bachelor of science in pharmacy graduate here in the philippines and i dont yet have a license as a pharmacist, unfortunately i did'nt pass my board exam thats why im not yet a pharmacist. But i want to become a pharmacy technician in the US which i heared they require certification to become one. My question is do i still need to study again and have this pharmacy technician certification?considering that i already have a bachelors degree in pharmacy which i had it for 4 years?

Hi @markjayson_primero@yahoo.com :) I've been looking for an answer for the same question you have here in this forum. I was so happy to know that maybe you can help me since it's been months since you posted this. :)

I am a B.S. Pharmacy graduate in the Philippines too :) I took it for four years. And now that I'm here in the US,i want to apply for Pharmacy Technician Exam. I decided to do home study instead of taking a Program so I can save money :) I just wanna know, did you just submit your B.S Pharmacy Diploma with your Application form? Is it enough to qualify for the examination? I hope i'll get a response from you despite of the busy life here in the US. Thank you and have a nice day :)

keione30 in Tracy, California

8 months ago

keione30 in Tracy, California said: Hi @markjayson_primero@yahoo.com :) I've been looking for an answer for the same question you have here in this forum. I was so happy to know that maybe you can help me since it's been months since you posted this. :)

I am a B.S. Pharmacy graduate in the Philippines too :) I took it for four years. And now that I'm here in the US,i want to apply for Pharmacy Technician Exam. I decided to do home study instead of taking a Program so I can save money :) I just wanna know, did you just submit your B.S Pharmacy Diploma with your Application form? Is it enough to qualify for the examination? I hope i'll get a response from you despite of the busy life here in the US. Thank you and have a nice day :)

Or anyone of you who's willing to help me with my queries, I'd be very grateful to hear from you guys :) Thank You and God Bless :)

Rudy G in Menifee, California

6 months ago

hope that info helps..

good luck to all

Free? What program are you referring to? I would greatly appreciate some more info

Julie Jules in Novato, California

6 months ago

I'm looking to become a Pharmacy Tech and would love to know if anyone could recommend a school in the Bay Area or if the school is a waste of time. Thanks!

Tara in Richmond, Virginia

6 months ago

RxTechExam.com is an excellent way to prepare for the PTCB Exam. The course is available online, and you can work through it at your own pace! Currently they're giving away a free chapter on Community Pharmacy...

www.rxtechexam.com/pages/Free-Chapter.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cathytangonanrph in San Diego, California

5 months ago

keione30 in Tracy, California said: Or anyone of you who's willing to help me with my queries, I'd be very grateful to hear from you guys :) Thank You and God Bless :)

I'm a licensed pharmacist in the Philippines and right now i'm just reviewing for the PTCE, i did register online and i have 3 months to schedule mine. Once i'm confident enough, i'll do the exam so i can be a licensed pharmacy tech here for now until i enroll in a pharmacy school to take Pharm D. i think that is pretty much what we can do even if we're licensed pharmacists from a different country not unless you took 5 yr pharmacy course which makes you eligible for FPG exam to be a pharmacist here

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Gardnerville, Nevada

5 months ago

I think the most important thing everyone needs to know here is that each state has a board of pharmacy that regulates what training/education pharmacy technicians have to have to work in that state. So yes, it could be a waste of time to enroll in a pharmacy technician course just to find out that you are required to go through an approved school or no schooling was required in your state. Go to your state's board of pharmacy to look up what requirements you need to follow BEFORE you look at schools. pharmtechtraining.net/state-requirements.html also has a good list of requirements by state and links to each state's board of pharmacy.

Paulette15 in Los Angeles, California

4 months ago

Tim in Tahlequah, Oklahoma said: A BS to fulfill Pharm Tech duties?...You must be joking...A Bachelors isn't needed EVEN in the hospital environment, let alone in retail...I can see someone who has a BS in Biology , or Chemistry , and for whatever reason didn't make it into medical school working as a pharm tech while trying to decide if pharmacy school (and a Pharm.D.) is worth it, but SERIOUSLY????

Do not enroll in Pharmacy Tech Classes it's not worth it. You'll have better opportunities if you take the require classes to become a Pharmacist or a Radiologist or Register Nurse.

Paulette15 in Los Angeles, California

4 months ago

Kyle in Lebanon, Oregon said: I am finding it hard to get a PhT job without some kind of formal training. Hospitals will not hardly talk to me after finding out that I have not yet received a formal education in PhT. Some hospitals actually require a Bachelor of Science just to be a Pharmacy tech.

Do not enroll in Pharmacy Tech Classes it's not worth it. You'll have better opportunities if you take the require classes to become a Pharmacist or a Radiologist or Register Nurse

Amanda in Gardnerville, Nevada

4 months ago

Paulette15 in Los Angeles, California said: Do not enroll in Pharmacy Tech Classes it's not worth it. You'll have better opportunities if you take the require classes to become a Pharmacist or a Radiologist or Register Nurse

Some states require that you enroll in a class. Not everyone is able/wants to take the 6+ years of schooling to become a pharmacist and the US Department of Labor estimates 20% more jobs through 2022- which is faster than the average. So there should be plenty of jobs out there. What's not worth it? Are there no jobs in your area? Do you not like the pay? Average salary is $30k which you won't make starting out but that's pretty decent in my area. Not all states require classes/training but many do require PTCB certification and a class can help with preparing for that exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.