Did you take your PTCE Exam? Please come here and help others....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (901 to 942 of 942)
Page:  « First « Previous   16  17  18  19   

Tech in Riverside,CA in Los Angeles, California

48 months ago

Dgreene said: I just wanted to make a comment about helping others prepare for the test. The test I had was totally different type questions than any of the ones that I've seen previously mentioned. My test was very hard and the questions were very long and complicated to understand. A lot of the questions I had were not in any of the materials that I had purchased. It seems like I probably guessed at maybe 50% of the questions and knew about 50%. All I can say is just study everything you can as far as reading materials, but definitely don't waste a lot of time trying to memorize the drug questions because there's no way you're going to be able to answer them unless you've already been working as a tech for a long, long time. Also some questions are given more points than others, so concentrate on getting the really hard ones right and you should pass. Believe me, if I could remember a single question I would list them for people but that's impossible. I was nervous when I took the test and actually just barely had enough time to finish it in time. Dave G. P. S. Also, most of the questions I've seen given are fairly easy and you're probably not going to get that many points for knowing them anyhow.

I tottaly agree with you! Mine was also very hard and I felt the same way. I felt I guessed over half and believe or not I did pass, but I just got my results in the mail, I barely passed...the passing score had to be at least 650, I got 650! But hey I passed.
So for those studying now, just try and cover as much as you can, when you go to test, take your time and answer the ones you know and go back to the ones that need more time.. Good luck to all..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cpht_01 in bolingbrook, Illinois

48 months ago

just to make it clear the exam does not provide easy questions such as ...how many milliters are in 1 teaspoon? they would write out the question as if it was a "story" (2 long sentences)..they at times put extra information that we dont need, just to challenge you...but yes some questions are easy to solve but the majority would be challenged....thats why we learn the basics such as calculating day supply and AWP math etc so we can be able to extend what we learned and take that knowledge towards the exam to pass...and also to put the puzzles together and crack the answer

pookie5353 in Indiana

48 months ago

This problem seems so simple but I can't seem to figure it out: How much of 1% of X solution and how much of 5 % of same solution is needed to make 30 ml of same solution. The answer is supposed to be 15 and 15. Please explain.

pookie5353 in Indiana

48 months ago

pookie5353 in Indiana said: This problem seems so simple but I can't seem to figure it out: How much of 1% of X solution and how much of 5 % of same solution is needed to make 30 ml of same solution. The answer is supposed to be 15 and 15. Please explain.

Me again. The only way I can explain the 15, 15 answer is to find 15 is 5% of 30 ml and substract it from 30 ml.
????Maybe it's a trick question.

Jeanetta Mastron CPhT BS in Signal Hill, California

48 months ago

Answers differ:
1. Raymee in Ephrata, Pennsylvania
19 hours ago
250mg/5ml=75/x =1.5 ml
1.5 x 4 =6 x 10 =60ml
BUT
2. ASD in Sanford, Florida
1 day ago Got the following:
5 ml has 250 mg
X ML 75 MG

X =75 X 5 / 250 = 1.25 ML

1.25 ml x 4 x 10 = 50 ml
AND
3. pookie5353 in Indiana 17 hours ago
I also got 60 ml.

To All,

The FREE Yahoo Group called JeanettasPTCBStudyGroup
has tutorials to show you exactly how to set up the alligations step by step using tic tac toe method, among many other types of tutorials. The site also has experienced techs who specialize in given areas who are TEXPERTS on my site. Also a resident pharmacist. ALL is FREE nothing for sale.

Here is the link:

health.groups.yahoo.com/group/JeanettasPTCBStudyGroup
Go to Yahoo Groups, search for JeanettasPTCBStudyGroup (no spaces)
it should take you to this site.
Click on the blue tab: Join this Group
Follow instructions.

Hope this helps!

Respectfully,
Jeanetta Mastron CPhT BS Chemistry
Pharmacy Technician Educator

pookie5353 in Indiana

48 months ago

In my opinion, your thread is the best thread in the entire forum!

David Scurlock in Eden Prairie, Minnesota said: Greetings,

If you taken your PTCE Exam, it would be of great help to everyone to know what you seen (if you can remember) on your exam. If you can remember specific questions that would be of great help also.

I did take the exam, its been awhile, I did have quite a few math questions, I failed by a few points, If I would have studied math over everything else, I feel that I would have passed, but I did not study that way, I tried to remember everything else, which I thought was fatal mistake on my grade after it was over, I also lost my calculator at the door because i had to many functions, so they took it, that did not help either.

I can not remember anything specific since it has been awhile since I took the test, there were some basic questions on the exam, you would have to be down right stupid to get them wrong as they were really basic, such as how many inches do you need to be within the laminar flowhood...I also feel there were quite of few basic math formulas on the test as there was some quite diffcult one I had to go through without my calculator, I also remember a couple of allegation questions on the test, maybe 1 or 2 drip formula questions, and such.

Thank-You for your time on help others....

knoelf in Richmond, Virginia

48 months ago

Sounds like to me someone did not do much recon or intelligence gathering before engaging the position. Would I have spent that type of money or time for a low paying, dead end position. I think not! I am going in to this career path at a time in my life where it is not about the money, it's about the personal satisfaction derived from working with and helping people....

Best wishes and good luck

Tim Skowronek in Indianapolis, Indiana

48 months ago

Passing on specific questions is a violation of the regulations signed when taking the test. It is also unethical.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeanetta Mastron CPhT BS Chemistry in Los Angeles, California

48 months ago

Tim Skowronek in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Passing on specific questions is a violation of the regulations signed when taking the test. It is also unethical.

Here! Here! Tim Skrowronek in Indianapolis,Indiana!!!
Finally someone gets it!!!

Ethics is a MAJOR subject taught in most pharmacy technician courses. It is the core concept of the pharmacists work.

Helping to study is one thing but giving out exact test questions is another. Study books may have test -like questions butmay not duplicate exact questions and possible answers.

Topics of the exam are acceptable to discuss. In fact if you want to know exactly what to study see the list on the PTCB website. I am not sure if ICPT/ExCPT has such a list. They probably do. But since the courts have deemed them equatable to get CPhT then the list would suffice for both exams.

Respectfully,
Jeanetta Mastron CPhT BS
Pharm Tech Educator
Founder: Jeanettas PTCB Study Group on yahoo groups
health.groups.yahoo.com/group/JeanettasPTCBStudyGroup
Since 2002

tlb5859 in Texas

48 months ago

Tim Skowronek in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Passing on specific questions is a violation of the regulations signed when taking the test. It is also unethical.

Tim is so right. Instead of trying to get the answers from people who have studied and taken the exam, get off your butts and study. Life is not easy, you have to work to get where you want to be. Get a study guide and bust your butt.....we all did.

Jeanetta Mastron CPhT BS in Signal Hill, California

48 months ago

rose 23 in Dumfries, Virginia said: Can you please tell me what is the best book to study for the PTCB test? The books listed on this page have very bad reviews, many people said they have lots of math errors. thank you jeanetta

Virginia, I don't believe there is just ONE book out there right now that has it all or does it all. But I always suggest at least two books from two different authors.
On my site in the Files section Folder #2 You will find books that I have personally reviewed and have used or my students have used with great success. I have paired them up with the best of the best and also best with a compliment book because of what one is lacking the other has etc.

See my last post for the site address.

If I had to pick out one book that has it all plus the kitchen sink it would be a book by Reifman. But I do not like the boring black text, format of a 5 x 7 thick hard to keep open book. I would love to see same content in a spiral bound book that can be left open. For math made simple Techlectures spiral bound or Reifman's spiral bound math book. But with TL book you get simple math plus other items.

I don't recommend straight q/a books because there is no substance/no teaching as to why only the what.
I also like one of the APhA books. I would have to see in my file which one. There are two different editions with different hours.

Hope this helps,

Jeanetta

REASONABLE PERSON in Curtis Bay, Maryland

48 months ago

I only used ONE book and I borrowed it from my local library.

MOSBY'S The Pharmacy Technician Workbook and Certification Review, Third Edition
(I only used the review book not the actual textbook, review book is loaded with the info you actually need)

I studied for one month using this book and I passed the PTCB first try.
Just thoroughly familiarize yourself with everything in this book.

KNOW CONVERSIONS
KNOW PHARMACY LAWS SUCH AS HIPAA AND OMNIBUS
FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH COMMON DRUG WORD PREFIXES BASE-WORDS AND SUFFIXES
USE THE INTERNET LOOK FOR GENERIC PREFIXES AND SUFFIXES
USE INTERNET LOOK FOR PRACTICE TESTS

I DIDNT PAY FOR ANY SERVICES PREPARING FOR THE EXAM JUST GO TO THE LIBRARY AND USE INTERNET YOU DONT NEED TO BUY ANY BOOKS JUST GET THE MOSBYS AND STUDY IT AND DO PRACTICE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tlb5859 in Texas

47 months ago

pookie5353 in Indiana said: I also got 60 ml.

250mg/5ml = 50mg/ml
1.5 ml = 75mg
1.5ml x 4 doses = 6ml/day
6ml x 10 days= 60ml

NOW, THE IMPORTANT THING IS Amoxicillin 250/5ml comes in an 80ml, 100ml & 150ml size bottle once reconstituted. You would fill for 80ml and advise parent/patient that they will have left over. We never reconstitute with more or less water to accomidate for a different dose, nor do we pour out (in this case 60ml) what we need for the rx. I have never in 31 years of practice seen a pharmacist give less than the smallest size bottle available for the amount needed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ms.Scott in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

Kylee13 in Portage, Indiana said: Here's my last math question, I tried the online tutors but I must have went to the wrong places cause the ones I asked were confused. "How many ml of 25% dextrose are needed to prepare 500ml of 40% dextrose if you are to prepare 40% dextrose from 25% dextrose and 60% dextrose." this is just so baffling to me, I must be looking at it wrong. The answer is 286ml but how?

60% 15 pt / 35 x 500 ml= 214.28 of 60% dextrose

40%

25% 20 pt / 35 x 500 ml= 285.71 = 286 ml of 25% dextrose
_________
35 total parts

Jeanetta Mastron CPhT BS in Long Beach, California

45 months ago

Kylee13
I Agree with this answer!
It should be a simple alligation! I see no reason why 'tutors' would have been confused.

Try JeanettasPTCBStudyGroup on Yahoo Groups (no spaces)
You will find the alligation method tutorial with diagram which this site can not post.

Respectfully,
Jeanetta Mastron

munkeyann in Los Angeles, California

42 months ago

Chris in Bakersfield, California said: Hi Jeanetta, this was the first time they had offered the course over at Antelope Valley College, so given that it was the first time they did it I'm sure that there can be improvements made to it. However I did enjoy the course, and the teacher was good. He always answered any questions students had, was very approachable. I think they could've spent more time on compounding, but like I said it was the first time it was offered and I'm sure they will do it in the future. A lot of time was spent on the math, which I think was a good idea. Hope this helps.

Chris Rodriguez

Hi Chris, I live in the Lancaster area of Antelope Valley. I been looking up the pharmcy technician class that is offering at AVC-Boston Reed. I know you took the course when it was first started but I heard alot of bad things about how unorganized Boston Reed College is with the course. But I was wondering was there any problems with the course offering at AVC? Did the teacher spend alot of times going over the material and explaining it in details or did s/he just reiterate the material from the book/powerpoint? Also, was there alot of lab work being done? Was there also any material given out to help the students to pass the board exam? I really want to take this course at AVC but Im having mixed feeling about it. It causes 2 grand, just kind of feel it would be a waste if money if the whole course was a waste of time. Im sorry if I have too many questions but thanks for your help.
ann

Kenn Hadnot in Federal Way, Washington

41 months ago

Hey Guys. I'm finishing getting my certificate (my extern hours) in about a week. I haven't taken the PTCE and my extern site is hiring right now. I would like to be ready for the test in about a week or so. I'm great with Math, and have a good majority of my drugs down. The only problems I seem to have is Pharmacy Law, DEA Forms, and stuff like that. Does anyone know of a site where I can study this stuff or should I just try and review from my school books??

cpht in Plainfield, Illinois

41 months ago

Kenn Hadnot in Federal Way, Washington said: Hey Guys. I'm finishing getting my certificate (my extern hours) in about a week. I haven't taken the PTCE and my extern site is hiring right now. I would like to be ready for the test in about a week or so. I'm great with Math, and have a good majority of my drugs down. The only problems I seem to have is Pharmacy Law, DEA Forms, and stuff like that. Does anyone know of a site where I can study this stuff or should I just try and review from my school books??

Google: Pharmacy Rx by crystal

then click the ptcb link in the site :)

Anna in Los Angeles, California

40 months ago

Were there any question or math problems with roman numerals? I am studying from an APhA book, and it has a section dedicated to roman numerals, I was wondering how much of this, if any at all, was on the test?

HOWLONGISTHEWAIT in Ukiah, California

40 months ago

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET YOUR LICENSE FROM STATE OF CALIFORNIA ONCE YOUR MAIL OFF YOUR APPLICATION PACKET TO SACRAMENTO? THE WEB SITE SAYS 60 TO 90 DAYS BUT WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR EXPERIENCE?

April in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

36 months ago

Katie in Houston, Texas said: They are like the FBI. You can only bring your ID and you are fingerprinted and they take your picture. I felt like a criminal. and yes, they give you a dry erase paper. It was dumb. I said "Can i have a piece of paper and a pencil?" and the testing lady was like "What you think you special or sumptin? you best be happy wit what you got" I just laughed at her and went and sat down. It was hilarious that someone of that I.Q. was allowed to work at a testing center. Ironic. ha.

Good Luck on your test JC.

~For some reason your comment made me laugh my head off!!! esp. the first few lines...thanks. I needed a good laugh to calm my nerves before taking the test in a couple days.

Dgreene100 in Jacksonville, Florida

36 months ago

To all those that are thinking of taking the pharmacy technician exam please make sure you already have a job or know that there's a large demand in your area for pharmacy technicians. I took the exam a year and-a-half ago and still have no job. There are so many schools offering the pharmacy technician program that the market is flooded. I would advise all those that don't have leads on a solid job offer to consider another field. These are just my thoughts and no one certainly has to pay any attention to them but I just wanted people that thought they could get a job after passing one of the hardest test I've ever taken that that is really the easy part because it's the jobs that are not out there that's the hard part. A friend who is certified but has no job. Dave

pookie5353 in Indiana

36 months ago

Thank you, Dave. If and when I take the test and if and when I pass I may not even look for a pharm tech job. I just want to pass the test and it would greatly help with my present job. I wouldn't mind, however, to have a part time job as a tech, just for the experience. I already know there is no money in it.

Lani in Colorado Springs, Colorado

36 months ago

Dgreene100 in Jacksonville, Florida said: To all those that are thinking of taking the pharmacy technician exam please make sure you already have a job or know that there's a large demand in your area for pharmacy technicians. I took the exam a year and-a-half ago and still have no job. There are so many schools offering the pharmacy technician program that the market is flooded. I would advise all those that don't have leads on a solid job offer to consider another field. These are just my thoughts and no one certainly has to pay any attention to them but I just wanted people that thought they could get a job after passing one of the hardest test I've ever taken that that is really the easy part because it's the jobs that are not out there that's the hard part. A friend who is certified but has no job. Dave

Dave,

Out of curiousity, did you go to school, have any prior experience or just studied for the test? Thanks.

Dgreene100 in Jacksonville, Florida

36 months ago

I took the home study program through Allied Business Schools. It took me about two and-a-half months to finish the program (that was both pharmacy calculations and pharmacy technician courses). It cost about $800 I believe for the materials. I submitted all my test via the computer. I took the certification exam two weeks after completing the home study program and passed. A lot of the business schools here in Jacksonville make it a nine month program and charge like 10,000 to 12,000 for the course. It's definitely not worth it. If you really want to get certified because you have a job opportunity and need the certification I suggest taking the home course like I did. You can work at your own pace. If you'd like to get their information you can email me at Dgreene100@aol.com and I'll give you their number and tell you how the program works. I'm not necessarily knocking the business schools but I couldn't afford the tuition. And since I can't get a job, I'm glad I didn't go to a private business school. Dave

Angieeee in Los Angeles, California

35 months ago

Oh jeez I'm nervous for the exam. I'm set to take it in 3 days but I feel like my math is very weak. Just studied off of "The Pharmacy Technician" 3rd ed...which has a few pages on math and it's SUPER easy lol...will report back! ;)

Angieeee in Lynwood, California

35 months ago

OK took my test and it's very easy! Math is super simple! I studied off of the APhA book and skimmed around on these sites (very helpful)

www.pharmacy-tech-study.com/index.html
health.groups.yahoo.com/group/jeanettasptcbstudygroup/

About the top 200 drugs..I studied all of them but it wasn't worth it. I'd study just the suffixes and what drugs are included in SCH II - IV.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

pookie5353 in Indiana

35 months ago

Angieeee in Lynwood, California said: OK took my test and it's very easy! Math is super simple! I studied off of the APhA book and skimmed around on these sites (very helpful)

www.pharmacy-tech-study.com/index.html
health.groups.yahoo.com/group/jeanettasptcbstudygroup/

About the top 200 drugs..I studied all of them but it wasn't worth it. I'd study just the suffixes and what drugs are included in SCH II - IV.

pharmacy tech study site is an excellent study site. I will have to get in gear one of these days. I really haven't studied in earnest, 10 mns, 20 mns here and there whenever I happen to think about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

arelis33 in Davenport, Florida

34 months ago

I took my test and it was a lot of questions about the acts! I am from PR and i didnt study that... i was all the time studying calcules.. Does anyone could tell me wich are the acts that i have to study.. cause i dont remember! .. i am from florida!.. thanks

satchell in Dallas, Texas

33 months ago

bon in Gainesville, Florida said: I went on ebay and purchased all 4 exams from ptcb trainer.. you will have one of them,, so you have to study all.. I have been in pharmacy for about 9 yrs.. now our store is going to require certification..I am 57,, never had to do all of that math stuff lol i do know dosage calculations, but think it is stupid to know the hosp. stuff if you are not going to work in a hospital... I am going to take the Penn Foster Career School program online.. UF wants 3900.00 to take it there just 2 days a week... anyway, if you cant afford to purchase the exams, just email me.

can u please email me the exams please? rainbow599@hotmail.com. thank you.

Holly in Irvine, California

31 months ago

How to register for the PTCE exam? Which website? And what is the difference between ptce and ptcb? thanks

ASimpson in Round Rock, Texas

27 months ago

Which is better to take to get a job in a pharmacy? PTCB? or EXCPT?

Angeline in Houston, Texas

27 months ago

ASimpson in Round Rock, Texas said: Which is better to take to get a job in a pharmacy? PTCB? or EXCPT?

Take the PTCB, I have taken the EXCPT and I got screwed when I moved to Houston. Not every state recognizes the EXCPT.

mauly in Ingleside, Illinois

22 months ago

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: You can miss 20 on the exam but out of 100 and something, 20 is not alot.
You must be really smart to go in there and just pass it with only 2 weeks preparation because I worked 3 weeks steady on mine and I had questions that I never heard of and drugs that were not in my book and never heard of and it asked things like routes to medication that wasn't covered. Alot of the questions that I had were things that you wouldn't know if you didn't work in the pharmacy and if you don't have a certificate they won't hire you and if you don't work there, you can't get your certificate. I don't know how you people do it that go in there and just take it without any preparation but I wasn't able to do that. If you have any question you can remember for the rest of us or any hints that will help in the test..... PLEASE throw them out for all of us to see.

Melody soooo right, I just passed my PTCE exam last week, i studied hard for one month after graduating from a school. The math problem wasn't a problem for me, but there were some drugs that were in my test that I have never heard or seen before even studying from my books APh.I plan to take the EXcept exam and i hope i will pass it. So people please tell us what kind of books you guys used to pass the ptce test the first time.

Centerpiece in Phoenix, Arizona

18 months ago

HeinzP in Peoria, Arizona said: Hello all,

I passed PTCE. I am now looking for a job here in arizona. I hope I can get a job in the hospital .
For those who will be taking the exam. I just want to say the PTCE exam is not difficult, if you put your time to study for it. As I mentioned about math earlier, know your conversion well and order/stock, and difusion rate. If you know these stuffs, you should not have any problem.
Happy study
:)

How was your test? I'm am in Glendale. I was going to set my test date for the 21st of January. If you can get me a lot of what the test consist of I can give you the number to a guy that sets certified technicians jobs no problem email me at centerpiece19@gmail.com please an congrats an thanks so much

Centerpiece in Phoenix, Arizona

18 months ago

Hello I am studying for the ptcb exam right now. I love people's insite and experience an taking the test an what you have to study. What I have seen I a lot of people saying math is most important. Is there anyone who can list all the math we should study?

Thanks a lot good luck to everyone

Ahbab in Brooklyn, New York

18 months ago

Hello I decided to take tcbe. I was wondering if anybody can help me giving some instructions of what to study and where to study. Any kind of guidelines with any study notes is highly appreciated. Thanks a lot and good luck to everyone.

wavelight in Watsonville, California

10 months ago

Hello, I passed my ptcb exam last week

Im selling my books. Email me if you like the links

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wavelight in Watsonville, California

10 months ago

actually here is the link www.ebay.com/usr/wavelightthesmiths

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JNEA in California

2 months ago

PHARMACY TECHNICIAN PRACTICE EXAM QUESTIONS – FREE!

Studying for the National Pharmacy Technician Exam?
Try our Sample Practice Exam Questions for Free!!!

Go to: pharmtech.crimsoninstitute.com/
User name: sample
Password: Exams12

**Join us on Facebook at Crimson Institute for helpful information

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JNEA in California

13 days ago

PHARMACY TECHNICIAN PRACTICE EXAM LECTURE AND QUESTIONS – FREE!

Studying for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam?
Try our Sample Practice Lecture and Exam Questions for Free!!!

Go to: pharmtech.crimsoninstitute.com/
User name: guest1
Password: Guest12#

*Join us on Facebook at Crimson Institute

PTCBEASY in Watsonville, California

4 days ago

If you are struggling passing the PTCB exam or scared need that
extra assurance, you are not alone! I have been there! I'm happy
to help! I noticed many books out there make it harder than it needs
to be! You don't need a tutor! You don't need to spend 10k for a
school or 2k for one of those online schools. All you need is the
right tools to pass the exam! I spent countless hours of hard
sweat work to find the right tools that made it easy to understand.
I passed the PTCB exam with flying colors on the first attempt!

Please email me at ptcbeasy@gmail.com
or visit www.ebay.com/usr/wavelightthesmiths

Page:  « First « Previous   16  17  18  19   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.