Did you take your PTCE Exam? Please come here and help others....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 940)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Nicole in Winter Springs, Florida

77 months ago

Hey Bon I would love for you to send a copy of the exams

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

77 months ago

Someone has a copy of the exams?
Send me one too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

77 months ago

Nicole in Winter Springs, Florida said: Hey Bon I would love for you to send a copy of the exams

he is not actually talking about the PTCB exams, no one has
those...he is talking about tests that some ptcb trainer
has come up with, it means they wrote up their own stuff...
then again, every book ive seen claims you can pass the
ptcb exam by buying their stuff...

I really would not recommend the PTCB, there is another exam
excpt or something like that...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

77 months ago

Yeah I saw some of the Excpt sample exams on a Virginia website. It is more REAL and what a pharmacy tech would be doing, however, I wrote to the state board of pharmacy and in the state of TN they do not acknowlege the EXcpt exam as being certified. (I know... that stinks!)
When I took the exam, it was harder than the nursing math. Some of the questions were really crazy. Why would I or should I have to know some of that stuff. Isn't that why the pharmacists make what he makes? Besides, everything that I saw in the book that I studied said almost everytime.... ask the pharmacists. So...................

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

77 months ago

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: Yeah I saw some of the Excpt sample exams on a Virginia website. It is more REAL and what a pharmacy tech would be doing, however, I wrote to the state board of pharmacy and in the state of TN they do not acknowlege the EXcpt exam as being certified. (I know... that stinks!)
When I took the exam, it was harder than the nursing math. Some of the questions were really crazy. Why would I or should I have to know some of that stuff. Isn't that why the pharmacists make what he makes? Besides, everything that I saw in the book that I studied said almost everytime.... ask the pharmacists. So...................

not all states accept excpt, however, most states do...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

77 months ago

Why in the world does TN have to be different.
Just my luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JC in New York, New York

77 months ago

31 of the 50 states recognize only the PTCE/PTCB as official Pharmacy Technician Certification/Board. It seems that it will be all 50 eventually over the next few years. I believe then the PTCE/B will be THE national certification exam and board to regulate all pharmacy technicians. The trend has been to try to get to this standardization just like nursing licenses are now recognized across all 50 states (i.e., you don't have to take a new or a different exam if you move from one state to another). Eventually, the EXcpt exam will probably have no "status" in making a Pharmacy Tech a C.Ph.T.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Houston, Texas

77 months ago

I am a senior in high school and took a tech class at my school. My class did the pass assured system, its a cd that you just use on your computer and it teaches you all aspects of being a Pharmacy Tech. Now my PTCB exam is tomorrow! Just thought i would say thanks for all the information and encouragement (and lack thereof) and give my two cents.

My exam is at 8 am. I hate morning tests. Ill be sure to give you guys info on my test. Ill try to remember some questions and things...IM SO NERVOUS!

Wish me luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

77 months ago

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: Why in the world does TN have to be different.
Just my luck!

This is what i see for TN for excpt exam:

1. If the pharmacist supervises three or more technicians, at least one must be certified by a board-approved certification program; certification is voluntary for the other two.

2. If the pharmacist supervises less than three technicians, certification is completely voluntary.

The ExCPT is applying for board approval. Those technicians for whom certification is voluntary may obtain national certification by taking the ExCPT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JC in New York, New York

77 months ago

Yes but since the 31 of 50 states already recognize the PCTB with the others sure to follow it's probably easier just to take the PTCE to get one's certification since it will cover you anywhere you go. With the ExCPT you're not "certified" in some states and there is no guarantee that it will become a nationally accepted standard...they usually only stick with one exam/board (again, look to nursing or other health care professions that require certification or licensure). Why take the ExCPT then end up having to take the PTCE anyway? I wouldn't want to go through testing twice if I didn't have to!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

77 months ago

I counted 38 states are on with excpt, while 14 states have applied
for their status... It is up to the person taking the test to look
and see if their state is covered...there is nothing wrong with the PTCB, but the downside is, it costs more, and if you fail, you have to drag out another 3 months before you can take it...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ari in Lexington, Kentucky

77 months ago

Good luck Katie!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

77 months ago

Hey Guys.... thought that I would tell you that I got my results back today. I PASSED !!!!!! I had 3 weeks (mostly just at night) to study that entire book. First of all they photographed me and finger printed me, watched you like a hawk and nearly patted you down to make sure that you didn't have anything in your pockets. That right there was enough to make you fail just from nerves.
So If I can do that and be as nervous as I was.... ANY OF YOU CAN DO IT.!!!!
I have given you all so much more info than I had (questions) and now that you know to expect the pat-down and finger print, you shouldn't be as nervous as I was and any of you should do very well with it. Take a deep breath and go for it.
Good Luck to all of you that have it coming up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JC in New York, New York

77 months ago

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: Hey Guys.... thought that I would tell you that I got my results back today. I PASSED !!!!!! I had 3 weeks (mostly just at night) to study that entire book. First of all they photographed me and finger printed me, watched you like a hawk and nearly patted you down to make sure that you didn't have anything in your pockets. That right there was enough to make you fail just from nerves.
So If I can do that and be as nervous as I was.... ANY OF YOU CAN DO IT.!!!!
I have given you all so much more info than I had (questions) and now that you know to expect the pat-down and finger print, you shouldn't be as nervous as I was and any of you should do very well with it. Take a deep breath and go for it.
Good Luck to all of you that have it coming up.[/QUOTE

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I was thinking that you had passed and had just been overwhelmed by the experience. My God, what a place you tested at...was it a Pearson VUE Test Center? That's where I have to take mine (in Manhattan...NYC) on May 30th. CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JC in New York, New York

77 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: I counted 38 states are on with excpt, while 14 states have applied
for their status... It is up to the person taking the test to look
and see if their state is covered...there is nothing wrong with the PTCB, but the downside is, it costs more, and if you fail, you have to drag out another 3 months before you can take it...

True...I guess if I don't pass the PTCE on May 30th I'll go and take the Excpt. My state (NY) doesn't even recognize either :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

77 months ago

Thank you.
Yes it was a Pearson VUE test center in Nashville, TN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

daisy in Laurel, Maryland

77 months ago

How can i find info on where to go take the ptcb exam? Also has anybody apply for a tech job and what does it usually start off with?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Galina in Monroe, North Carolina

77 months ago

Congratulations Melody, I am immensly happy for you, woman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me ask you, did you have a lot of drug names questions on your test?

So what is the pay in TN for starters?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

angela greene in Charlotte, North Carolina

77 months ago

To every one I passed on may 16 2008

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ari in Richmond, Kentucky

77 months ago

congrats Angela Greene!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

HeinzP in Glendale, Arizona

77 months ago

Hello Melody and all,

Last week, I took the exam(ptcb). I won't know the result until June 2.
I think I did good on math, and ok on other questions. I encountered a few similar questions as you had on question #1, #10,#15, #21 as you listed here.

I also have questions(approximate 5-8) on generic, brandname, and classification drugs. Please don't ask me, I don't remember any of them.

Math is pretty much straight forward for me. I used the book "the pharmacy technician workbook and certification review - second edition, Morton publishing", and practiced every problem at the end of each chapter. The key concepts for learning math are
1. order over stock
2. infussion rate
3. conversion (must know these units grain, drams, fluid oz, drop, kg, gram, mg, mcg, and lb, litter, pint, pine, quart, gallons, cup)

I did not see any difficult math problem. For me math problems took me less time than non math questions.

I finished my test in 105 minutes. So I still had 5 minutes to go over.

Actual test time is 110 minutes and a total of 90 questions.

I guess that is it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

HeinzP in Glendale, Arizona

77 months ago

There was a question something like this
A pregnant pharmacy tech should avoid to (I am not sure touch or contact) the following drugs which sorry I don't remember

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

JC in New York, New York

77 months ago

angela greene in Charlotte, North Carolina said: To every one I passed on may 16 2008

CONGRATULATIONS ANGELA!!! It's good to hear of people hear passing the PTCE. It makes me feel less anxious about it.

BTW, what did or did they NOT let you take into the exam with you? From what I'm reading from the instructions I have, I shouldn't bring anything but myself two ID's...no calculator, no pens or pencils, no paper, etc. Is that correct? Do they really give you an ERASER BOARD to work out problems instead of paper and pencil??? I feel like I'm being tested by the FBI...LOL.

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!!! I hope I can add to this winning streak...my exam is next Friday, May 30th.

Jethro

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Houston, Texas

77 months ago

They are like the FBI. You can only bring your ID and you are fingerprinted and they take your picture. I felt like a criminal. and yes, they give you a dry erase paper. It was dumb. I said "Can i have a piece of paper and a pencil?" and the testing lady was like "What you think you special or sumptin? you best be happy wit what you got" I just laughed at her and went and sat down. It was hilarious that someone of that I.Q. was allowed to work at a testing center. Ironic. ha.

Good Luck on your test JC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JC in New York, New York

77 months ago

Katie in Houston, Texas said: They are like the FBI. You can only bring your ID and you are fingerprinted and they take your picture. I felt like a criminal. and yes, they give you a dry erase paper. It was dumb. I said "Can i have a piece of paper and a pencil?" and the testing lady was like "What you think you special or sumptin? you best be happy wit what you got" I just laughed at her and went and sat down. It was hilarious that someone of that I.Q. was allowed to work at a testing center. Ironic. ha.

Good Luck on your test JC.

Thanks for the info and the "heads up". As if it's not nerve wracking and annoying enough that we have to take the exam, these stupid Pearson VUE people have to make it worse. Oh well...I'll be on my best behavior <G>.

Thanks again!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

77 months ago

So you want to become a pharmacy tech? may I ask why? what draws people to this low paying, and high stress job market?

I have been working as a pharmacy tech for about a month now. over the last few days, ive noticed the lead tech having break downs, and she has 12 years of experiance...

If i was a betting person, I would say a high number of people that
do become pharmacy techs, only a small % will stay in the field. You have to be very good, you have to be fairly fast, and smart enough
to know what you are doing, even if you never been in the field before.

If you think you are just going to count pills and slap labels on bottles, well im here to burst your bubble, this is a high stress
job field, any monkey can pull from stock, count pills, and run the register, you are constantly interupted by silly phone calls from people "is my med ready" you have to deal with doctors on the phone, customers calling in "why is my med not ready" you constantly deal with customers at the register "why did insurance not pay" and they know good and well that their insurance never paid for their med to begin with...I had a really pissed off customer today, his insurance paid for one, and not the other, he said what the @##$, "I cant have one without the other" the insurance did not want to pay for the other...well you can not have a car without the gas, and no one is surely going to buy the gas for you...oh, your not done...the computer system can be very complex gettings scripts in, trying to figure out why insurance claims did not go through, then explain to the customer insurance would not pay..then you go through the same story with them..."This is covered by my insurance" NO, its not...and it does not matter what they say or think, if insurance says no, then its NO, either pay cash price or get the doctor to write for a generic if available...one person got rejected by insurance on abilify...$400 cash price...

If you are not a quick learner, this is not f

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JC in New York, New York

77 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: So you want to become a pharmacy tech? may I ask why? what draws people to this low paying, and high stress job market?

VRose...OK, so it sounds like you are working in retail. I would NEVER work in retail pharmacy just because of the things you mention. If you want to avoid those problems (like obnoxious, cursing customers) and get better pay and benefits, move to institutional pharmacy. I have worked in hospitals all my life and they (1) pay pharmacy techs much better (2) give great benefits (3) you don't have to deal with the patients (4) the great majority of the nurses and MD's you speak to who call the pharmacy asking questions or looking for missing meds, etc., are very nice...they are you coworkers, so they don't go crazy on you like a customer (5) once a patient is checked into the hospital their insurance is already checked to cover whatever they need and if an MD INSISTS on a med that is not part of the hospital's formulary, the PHARMACIST deals with it, not a tech. You sound like you need a change. I'd apply to hospitals, long & short term care facilities, even home health care companies. MUCH better all around. In NYC, a Certified Pharmacy Technician makes between $16-$23/hr to start in a hospital (w/ benefits) as oppossed to $9 - $12/hr at a retail pharmacy. And again, NO b*tch*ng CUSTOMERS!!! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melody T in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

77 months ago

I thought that the hospitals paid less than the retail pharmacies. I was quoted $11.00/hr for the hospital pay. They can't hire me because of a hiring freeze but that is what they told me. I am not sure what the retails pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JC in New York, New York

77 months ago

Melody T in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: I thought that the hospitals paid less than the retail pharmacies. I was quoted $11.00/hr for the hospital pay. They can't hire me because of a hiring freeze but that is what they told me. I am not sure what the retails pay.

Maybe it's different down south, but up here in the Northeast Pharmacy Technicians have always been paid more in institutional pharmacy (e.g., hospitals). Plus, again, you get better comprehensive benefits and usually union protection. I've worked in hospitals in Boston, Providence and NYC and that's the way it is up here. Where I work currently (Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC) if you have either passed a PT course or have 6-12 months of experience and are certified you start at $23/hr. But think of the extremely high cost of living in NYC and in the Northeast. It may be very well that they are paying less in TN due to a lower cost of living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Pompano Beach, Florida

77 months ago

Never even heard of it.
Thanks for all of the info.
Much luck to all.

Much regards,
David
www.travellinesexpress.com
ebooks4life.blogspot.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

77 months ago

Melody T in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: I thought that the hospitals paid less than the retail pharmacies. I was quoted $11.00/hr for the hospital pay. They can't hire me because of a hiring freeze but that is what they told me. I am not sure what the retails pay.

that might be $11 for his location, that does not mean
you only make $11 no matter where you go...but without
experiance, a hospital is less likely to hire you. Because of
the greedy gas/oil compaines, and a bad economy, a lot are doing
cut backs and freezes. I only make $9/hr, and we just got our hours cut., but the good thing is, I can look for other stores that may
be in need of a tech because their tech might be out for some reason...
high gas, high cost of drugs, high cost of living for everything makes a bad economy for everyone...these oil compaines are raping us everyday, within just a week, ive seen gas climb almost .50c alone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

76 months ago

VRose, yes I agree... the oil companies are definitely raping all of us, but what can we do? So do the hospitals in FL only pay $9/hr? And the hospital in my town does have a hiring freeze and unless I want to drive 30 miles to downtown Nashville, I won't find a job in the hospital. If I drive, that means more gas which means less pay in my pocket. Do you know what a tech would make in a retail pharmacy.... starting out, either in your area or mine?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Adrian in El Centro, California

76 months ago

bon in Gainesville, Florida said:

Bon Hi I would like to know how to get a copy of those exams... could you contact me please thank you The peen fen or whatever class you are about to take is a bit expensive. I did not have to pay much for my training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kemi in Uxbridge, United Kingdom

76 months ago

pyare in Newark, Delaware said: It's not very difficult. Lots of common sense and little bit of basic maths will be needed. I passed my exam in May 2007. You can self study at home . I borrowed books from local library . I am 54 years old and no experience of pharmacy whatssoever . I prepared my self for exam in 3 months while working at gas station. Go for it. You will make it. DO it.

I feel so encouraged by your mail. I do not have a background in pharmacy either. Which books would you recommend? What is the name of the first book you bought? Thanks again for your encouragement. Is a background in the sciences compulsory? I intend relocating to Texas and I want to get into the pharmaceutical field as well.
Kemi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kemi in Uxbridge, United Kingdom

76 months ago

I want to relocate to Texas and I also want to get into the pharmaceutical field. I read agricultural science. Is there any hope for me, not having studied anything relating to pharmacy? Someone said I could self study, to become a technician. Is ti possible to have a list of suggested books to buy/read?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Galina Dimov in Monroe, North Carolina

76 months ago

Hi, you definitely can do a self study. My friend does it right now, she never went to school for it. I've encourage her to do so, because its a nice field to be in. I, myself has taken pharmacy tech program back in 2004 and never went to work then, and I have forgotten a lot. So I am just refreshing right now and getting myself ready for PTCB exam. My friend has purchased her materials from www.pharmacytrainer.com/printbook.php
Check it out, see if you like it.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kristen in Wilmington, North Carolina

76 months ago

I took the exam May 19th and found out this morning that I passed! I have not gotten my official score report back but it's being mailed to me. Just study alot of math (conversions from units, drugs (brand, generic and chemical names), know your sigs, pretty much everything I do on a daily basis... I studded IV calculations and alot of pharmacology as well and know compounding (like the def. of tinture, and materials used to compound).

David Scurlock in Eden Prairie, Minnesota said: Greetings,

If you taken your PTCE Exam, it would be of great help to everyone to know what you seen (if you can remember) on your exam. If you can remember specific questions that would be of great help also.

I did take the exam, its been awhile, I did have quite a few math questions, I failed by a few points, If I would have studied math over everything else, I feel that I would have passed, but I did not study that way, I tried to remember everything else, which I thought was fatal mistake on my grade after it was over, I also lost my calculator at the door because i had to many functions, so they took it, that did not help either.

I can not remember anything specific since it has been awhile since I took the test, there were some basic questions on the exam, you would have to be down right stupid to get them wrong as they were really basic, such as how many inches do you need to be within the laminar flowhood...I also feel there were quite of few basic math formulas on the test as there was some quite diffcult one I had to go through without my calculator, I also remember a couple of allegation questions on the test, maybe 1 or 2 drip formula questions, and such.

Thank-You for your time on help others....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gerry in Wayne, New Jersey

76 months ago

Hi all,
I would just like to add my comments on the PTCB vs EXCPT certifications. I took and passed the EXCPT version only because it offered faster exam time and instant results. They offer the test every day of the week so it's more convenient. NOW...as far as which one is better than the other.., BOTH tests are national exams and your designation is CPhT no matter which test you take. It's true that the PCTB has been around longer but ICPT/EXCPT is gaining momentum and recognition. About half of the states recognize it. I live in N.J. and they recognize the exam. New Jersey also requires a tech to register with the state board of pharmacy. I think THAT is more critical than which test you take. Now, here is something else to think about. The store you work in may prefer you take one test over the other AND become certified by there own standard ( like CVS ). In any event, passing either test gives you CPhT certification.

The test is not that difficult. Most of the stuff I studied ( IV drips, alligations, ect. ) was not on the test. It is pretty much straightforward and not tricky at all. I took a course via the internet with RX tech school and it was pretty comprehensive.

I am 64 years old and have been out of college since 1965. I got a 453 on the test; a perfect score is 500, so that is an "A"

I hope I was able to shed some light on this. Good luck to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

76 months ago

Gerry in Wayne, New Jersey said: Hi all,
I would just like to add my comments on the PTCB vs EXCPT certifications. I took and passed the EXCPT version only because it offered faster exam time and instant results. They offer the test every day of the week so it's more convenient. NOW...as far as which one is better than the other.., BOTH tests are national exams and your designation is CPhT no matter which test you take. It's true that the PCTB has been around longer but ICPT/EXCPT is gaining momentum and recognition. About half of the states recognize it. I live in N.J. and they recognize the exam. New Jersey also requires a tech to register with the state board of pharmacy. I think THAT is more critical than which test you take. Now, here is something else to think about. The store you work in may prefer you take one test over the other AND become certified by there own standard ( like CVS ). In any event, passing either test gives you CPhT certification.

I took mine a couple months back... I am working at a pharmacy that
I consider very low end...they make me pay 2 hr monthly
union dues on a salary that you in essense could not make a living
on...I am only limited to 20-25 hours per week, they just about die
if you have to get overtime, and they avoid it at all costs, even
if the pharmacy has to suffer...I keep telling myself I have to start
somewhere...with this company, I am not at the bottom, I am below the bottom in this pharmacy chain...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Josi in Upland, California

76 months ago

Hi all,

I take the PTCE in 2 weeks. I've been using 4 books: "The Pharmacy Technician: 2nd edition" (the blue book), the workbook/exam review that goes with it, one simply called "Basic Pharmacology" and the APhA's Complete Math Review for the Pharmacy Technician. I haven't taken the test yet, but I do feel really comfortable thanks to the books I chose. The math book is GREAT. It's written in a quirky, funny, down-to-earth manner and it explains everything really well. I'm not particularly a math whiz & I'm getting 90%+ on all the practices at the end of each chapter. I would HIGHLY recommend those 4 books. I also made index cards of the top 200 drugs from the workbook, as well as sig stuff & other questions from the textbook.

I've had only 3 mo. experience in a retail pharmacy in KY. There I didn't have to be certified, but then we moved to CA and NOBODY will hire a pharm. tech unless you're certified out here. I haven't had any classes... just self-study at home on my own.

For those of you who've taken the test: About what percentage of the test would you say is math-related? drug naming?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MaryM in Michigan

76 months ago

I took my exam on May 20th and I just found out that I passed!!! I have been checking this discussion board everyday just to read about what to expect going into the test, and I wanted to let everyone know how much it helped me so THANK YOU!!! I was nervous going into the test, but I also felt very prepared. I took a 6 week pharm tech class at a local college, which helped tremendously and I also had a really great teacher. Being a college student, I have taken multiple math classes, so I was actually hoping for a lot of math. The majority of the test for me was a combo of math and also drug knowledge and classifications. A lot of the math was infusion rates and also conversions. The rest of the things were just basic knowledge things you would have to know in the pharmacy. I probably would have done better if I previously worked in a pharmacy because a lot of the things would have been common knowledge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

76 months ago

Josi in Upland, California said: Hi all,

I take the PTCE in 2 weeks. I've been using 4 books: "The Pharmacy Technician: 2nd edition" (the blue book), the workbook/exam review that goes with it, one simply called "Basic Pharmacology" and the APhA's Complete Math Review for the Pharmacy Technician. I haven't taken the test yet, but I do feel really comfortable thanks to the books I chose. The math book is GREAT. It's written in a quirky, funny, down-to-earth manner and it explains everything really well. I'm not particularly a math whiz & I'm getting 90%+ on all the practices at the end of each chapter. I would HIGHLY recommend those 4 books. I also made index cards of the top 200 drugs from the workbook, as well as sig stuff & other questions from the textbook.

I've had only 3 mo. experience in a retail pharmacy in KY. There I didn't have to be certified, but then we moved to CA and NOBODY will hire a pharm. tech unless you're certified out here. I haven't had any classes... just self-study at home on my own.

For those of you who've taken the test: About what percentage of the test would you say is math-related? drug naming?

There will be quite a bit of math, ranging from easy to difficult...personally i would not worry too much about the
drug names. I did have a few drug names on my exam, but not enough to worry about studing the top 200 drugs..forget that..there are much more important things to study...math
being number 1 - would you be able to do an easy drug formula,
or an allegation, I also noticed a lot of hippa questions on my exam...but all exams are different, and I took the excpt..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JC in Winston Salem, North Carolina

76 months ago

HI i am taking the exam this friday and i was wondering if i can get any good last minute tips about the exam. Were there any alligation problems?

I need help on one question- Dextrose 25% 1000ml is ordered. You have only dextrose 70% solution available. How much dextrose 70% solution and sterile water will you use to fill this order???????? HELP!!!!!!

THANKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

76 months ago

JC in Winston Salem, North Carolina said: HI i am taking the exam this friday and i was wondering if i can get any good last minute tips about the exam. Were there any alligation problems?

I need help on one question- Dextrose 25% 1000ml is ordered. You have only dextrose 70% solution available. How much dextrose 70% solution and sterile water will you use to fill this order???????? HELP!!!!!!

THANKS

I took the excpt, and I did not have any alligations...

as for your second question, if this was a real life question, it
would fall on a pharmacist to do these type of calculations, and
when the pharmacist has entered into the computer, the tech
would get a label print out on exactly what to use for the mix.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JC in Winston Salem, North Carolina

76 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: I took the excpt, and I did not have any alligations...

as for your second question, if this was a real life question, it
would fall on a pharmacist to do these type of calculations, and
when the pharmacist has entered into the computer, the tech
would get a label print out on exactly what to use for the mix.

no it was a question on one of my practice exam and they dont explain how to do it.
Also there were like 5 of these questions on the practice exam for PTCB. HELP!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JC in New York, New York

76 months ago

JC in Winston Salem, North Carolina said: HI i am taking the exam this friday and i was wondering if i can get any good last minute tips about the exam. Were there any alligation problems?

I need help on one question- Dextrose 25% 1000ml is ordered. You have only dextrose 70% solution available. How much dextrose 70% solution and sterile water will you use to fill this order???????? HELP!!!!!!

THANKS

70%| | 25 --> 25/70 x 1000 ml = 357 ml Dextrose 70%
|25%|
0 | | 45 --> 45/70 x 1000 ml = 643 ml sterile water

I took my PTCE last Friday and all I'll say is that I had a LOT of math on my exam. Know ALL TYPES of pharmacy calculations for your exam. GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JC in Winston Salem, North Carolina

76 months ago

WOW thanks.........Also would you say that this was prob the hardest math problem on the test you took or were there harder ones than this? HELP!!!!

i TAKE THE TEST TOMMORROW!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JC in Winston Salem, North Carolina

76 months ago

i got another question that i am stuck on and i need some help---- IN this formula <nupercainal 4%, zinc oxide 20%, and talc 2%> HOw much talc is needed to fill 120 grams?????

HElP!!!

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JC in Winston Salem, North Carolina

76 months ago

OK i got 1 more question --- You receive a prescription for amoxicillin 75 mg QID for ten days. How many mls of amoxillin 250 mg/5ml do you need to fill this prescription to last the full ten days???

IF someone can show my how to do these 2 problems it will be really great!

HELP!!

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JC in New York, New York

76 months ago

OK...if there are 250mg/5ml then there are 50mg/1ml (divide by 5 to find out how many mg in 1 ml).

Now, you need 75mg QID x 10 days = 75 x 4 x 10 = 3,000 mg total needed for 10 days so..

50 mg/1ml = 3,000mg/x ml = (cross multiply) 3,000x1/50 = 60 ml

JC in Winston Salem, North Carolina said: OK i got 1 more question --- You receive a prescription for amoxicillin 75 mg QID for ten days. How many mls of amoxillin 250 mg/5ml do you need to fill this prescription to last the full ten days???

IF someone can show my how to do these 2 problems it will be really great!

HELP!!

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.