Did you take your PTCE Exam? Please come here and help others....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 940)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

JC in New York, New York

86 months ago

It's hard to say, it depends which type of calculations YOU find the hardest. For some reason I am great at all of them except dilutions, they always give me trouble and take me extra time. Remember, they can ask you ANY type of pharmacy calculation on the exam so just be ready for all types...I didn't find any REALLY HARD, but some were a bit more difficult than others. Just know them all. If you're lucky maybe your exam won't have as much math as mine did.

JC in Winston Salem, North Carolina said: WOW thanks.........Also would you say that this was prob the hardest math problem on the test you took or were there harder ones than this? HELP!!!!

i TAKE THE TEST TOMMORROW!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Galina Dimov in Monroe, North Carolina

86 months ago

there is another way of doing it, which I found easier.
ML=5ml/250mg x 75mg/xml=1,5 then you take 1,5 x 4(qid) x 10(days) =60ml
what do you think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HeinzP in Peoria, Arizona

86 months ago

Hello all,

I passed PTCE. I am now looking for a job here in arizona. I hope I can get a job in the hospital.
For those who will be taking the exam. I just want to say the PTCE exam is not difficult, if you put your time to study for it. As I mentioned about math earlier, know your conversion well and order/stock, and difusion rate. If you know these stuffs, you should not have any problem.
Happy study
:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Just want to add something on the problem JC posted (beside two solutions suggested). This is a problem of order/stock. Your order is dextrose 25% 1000ml and stock is dextrose 70%.

Applying order/stock

25% * 1000ml/70% = 357 ml of dextrose 70%

You know your solute is dextrose 70% and the volume is 357 ml (from calculation), and your solvent is sterile water. To find out the volume of sterile water needed, all you have to do is using the basic equation below

Total volume = solute + solvent = 357 ml + ??? (solvent) = 1000ml

===> Solvent = 1000ml - 357ml = 643ml of sterile water.

I can assure you that at least 50 percent of the PTCE math applying this concept.
Happy study
:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

doreen in Portland, Oregon

86 months ago

I went to an acredited pharmacy college for 11 month course.I ALREADY HAVE A LOT OF MEDICAL BACKGROUND.passed all my exams,I've BEEN SEARCHing for a job for 4 months now.I ALSO HAD ONE MONTH OF EXTERNSHIP of 40 hours a week at Walgreens.Every interview tells me,oh sorry we hired someone else.They had 1 or 2 years expirence.I've HAD 10 years expirence passing and documenting prescription drugs to my clients.My month at Walgreens I fit right in,others didnt know I wasnt an employee.And I CANT find a job.I have a huge student loan to pay off,and I JUST THIS WEEK got hired at Mcdonalds for min wage.How do we get a job if they want ( real expirence).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

doreen in Portland, Oregon

86 months ago

it

HeinzP in Glendale, Arizona said: There was a question something like this
A pregnant pharmacy tech should avoid to (I am not sure touch or contact) the following drugs which sorry I don't remember

i KNOW THAT ONE.ITS ACCUTANE.vERY POTENT DRUG FOR SERIOUS ACNE PROBLEMS.PATIENT MUST TAKE A PREG- TEST BEFORE USE AND A FEW TIMES DURING.AND THEY WOULD PREFER YOU DONT HAVE SEX WHILE ON IT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

doreen in Portland, Oregon said: I went to an acredited pharmacy college for 11 month course.I ALREADY HAVE A LOT OF MEDICAL BACKGROUND.passed all my exams,I've BEEN SEARCHing for a job for 4 months now.I ALSO HAD ONE MONTH OF EXTERNSHIP of 40 hours a week at Walgreens.Every interview tells me,oh sorry we hired someone else.They had 1 or 2 years expirence.I've HAD 10 years expirence passing and documenting prescription drugs to my clients.My month at Walgreens I fit right in,others didnt know I wasnt an employee.And I CANT find a job.I have a huge student loan to pay off,and I JUST THIS WEEK got hired at Mcdonalds for min wage.How do we get a job if they want ( real expirence).

I am sorry to hear you talked about your frustration looking for a pharmacy tech job. I don't know about Oregon, but here in arizona many technician jobs at Walgreen have been reduced the hours from their regular 40 hrs a week. So it tough to get hired. Usually, winter is the best time to look for tech job in Arizona.

deb in Monona, Iowa

86 months ago

bon in Gainesville, Florida said: I went on ebay and purchased all 4 exams from ptcb trainer.. you will have one of them,, so you have to study all.. I have been in pharmacy for about 9 yrs.. now our store is going to require certification..I am 57,, never had to do all of that math stuff lol i do know dosage calculations, but think it is stupid to know the hosp. stuff if you are not going to work in a hospital... I am going to take the Penn Foster Career School program online.. UF wants 3900.00 to take it there just 2 days a week... anyway, if you cant afford to purchase the exams, just email me.

I would appreciate the practice tests. I have ADD, and am 52 years old and about to take the test in a few months. I have worked in a retail pharmacy for 5 years, and am so nervous! If you can help me I would appreciate it.

elizabeth in Fort Worth, Texas

86 months ago

JC in New York, New York said: CONGRATULATIONS ANGELA!!! It's good to hear of people hear passing the PTCE. It makes me feel less anxious about it.

BTW, what did or did they NOT let you take into the exam with you? From what I'm reading from the instructions I have, I shouldn't bring anything but myself two ID's...no calculator, no pens or pencils, no paper, etc. Is that correct? Do they really give you an ERASER BOARD to work out problems instead of paper and pencil??? I feel like I'm being tested by the FBI...LOL.

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!!! I hope I can add to this winning streak...my exam is next Friday, May 30th.

Jethro

have you got your results yet cause i took minds on may 30th to

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

86 months ago

You have that right and was given correct information.
No pens, no paper, no nothing but you and 2 id's.
My hair was long and I had 2 bobbie pins to pin it back IF it started falling in my eyes. They wouldn't even let me take those in there. Told me that I had to get a locker for it or throw them away or leave it with them. And yes, you feel like you are being tested by the FBI. When you go in there they tell you to empty your pockets and they will assign you a locker. Also, they tell you don't stick your hands in your pockets at all, don't even reach down. And they watch you like a hawk. I had my dry erase board that I did all my calculations on and sometimes do my own kind of calculations so I didn't want them to sit and look at my weird writing on it so I wet my kleenex and tried to wipe it off and I think that it kind of ticked them off. They let me know that if I had to retake it that next time definitely DO NOT do that, they will take care of that.
It is weird testing. They photo id you and finger print you also. So YES.... it is like being in prison. I really didn't think that I passed because that alone made me so nervous I couldn't think. But I passed and thank God I did, because I don't know that I would go through that again.

Ari in Lexington, Kentucky

86 months ago

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: You have that right and was given correct information.
No pens, no paper, no nothing but you and 2 id's.
My hair was long and I had 2 bobbie pins to pin it back IF it started falling in my eyes. They wouldn't even let me take those in there. Told me that I had to get a locker for it or throw them away or leave it with them. And yes, you feel like you are being tested by the FBI. When you go in there they tell you to empty your pockets and they will assign you a locker. Also, they tell you don't stick your hands in your pockets at all, don't even reach down. And they watch you like a hawk. I had my dry erase board that I did all my calculations on and sometimes do my own kind of calculations so I didn't want them to sit and look at my weird writing on it so I wet my kleenex and tried to wipe it off and I think that it kind of ticked them off. They let me know that if I had to retake it that next time definitely DO NOT do that, they will take care of that.
It is weird testing. They photo id you and finger print you also. So YES.... it is like being in prison. I really didn't think that I passed because that alone made me so nervous I couldn't think. But I passed and thank God I did, because I don't know that I would go through that again.

so you get a dry erase board and not a calculator? Sorry if this has been asked before, but I keep reading different things!

Nasir in Mississauga, Ontario

86 months ago

I have prepared the course for teaching purpose.
5 classes with money back gaurantee if not pass the Exam,
miannasir63@gmail.com

Nasir in Mississauga, Ontario

86 months ago

5 calasses with money back gaurantee if not passed the Exam.

Josi in Upland, California

86 months ago

Has anyone (who's already taken the PTCE) had any questions about milliequivalents? I'm having trouble understanding the actual chemistry behind the concept (I know we don't have to be chem Ph.D.'s to pass this thing, but it bugs me if I don't get it). Should I not worry about it and keep practicing more important stuff?

I take the test this Saturday and I'm SUPER nervous about it.

One last thing: Do they give you a dry erase board AND a calculator for the PTCE?

Thanks!

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

85 months ago

I had ONE question on my test about that. That is all.

Adrian in El Centro, California

85 months ago

Yes they give you a dry board and a calculator.

85 months ago

Personally, I don't recommend anyone to sign up for PTCE preparation class. Why? it costs lots of money. In return you don't make enough money with a certified tech to pay back the cost. So your money is not worth to spend for it. Unless, employers pay for you or you recieve state's assistance.

All the materials in the pharmacy prep book are written for high school level. If you graduated from high school you should not have any problem.
Math seems to be a problem for most of us, but don't be afraid. Test makers do not want to kill you. They designed the standard test with their goal are to verify certain things you have to know and to see if u r competent at the work place. If you study I don't think you have problem.
Just remember the guy in this forum he passed the test even he is 50+ yrs old.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Monsors in Plano, Texas

85 months ago

wow, this is really helpful

JC in Virginia Beach, Virginia

85 months ago

I went on-line today and I PASSED!!! Whoo hoo! Thank God. I won't know my score until I get it in the mail but I don't care how low or high it is, I PASSED!!! (And I took it on Friday, May 30th, and today was the first day they said the results would be available and they were there on-line at 10 am).

elizabeth in Fort Worth, Texas said: have you got your results yet cause i took minds on may 30th to

85 months ago

I just got back from taking the PTCE, and personally, it was one of the hardest tests I've ever taken (don't mean to scare anyone). My test was about 75% MATH. My advice would be to study math above everything else. If you have the math down (thankfully, I did), it can salvage your score if they throw you a bunch of curveballs with other stuff (which also happened to me). If you don't know the math, it doesn't really matter how much of the other stuff you know. I honestly don't think I'd be able to pass on other stuff alone.

I memorized the Top 200 drugs, which helped on the "what's the generic for ___" questions, but they asked some weird ones, too. I'd never heard of NovoPen (which now I know is for administering insulin), and I'm still not quite clear on whether IV fat emulsions and/or amphotericin B should be refrigerated. To future test-takers: Memorizing the Top 200 helps, but don't forget to go over some of the newer drugs, too. You also might want to know:

How long certain types of prescriptions are good for
What is required on C-II prescription labels
General pharmacy procedures in case of a class 1 recall
The rules about when things expire (prescriptions and medications... if it expires 12/08, what day can you dispense it until)
KNOW YOUR SIG ABBREVIATIONS!! If you don't have those memorized, you're kinda screwed.
(And, btw, biological safety cabinets are NOT vented to the outside.. another mistake on my part)

The upside is that I knew how to do EVERY math problem on the test. Almost all the math problems were ratio/proportion, but geez... some of them were pretty dang hard. I still recommend the APhA's Complete Math Review for Pharm. Techs. It REALLY helped.

The people at my test site were not as mean as it sounds like some others were. The rules WERE really strict, but they were nice about it. Something I haven't heard others mention is that they offer you earplugs. I didn't have to use mine, but they were good to have

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Philipia N.Romer in Nassau, Bahamas

85 months ago

Yes I took the exam on May 3rd 2008...And I passed. I ordered
the book from Barnes & Noble(The Mosby's preview for the pharmacy tech..It was a little help...but it was just work experience and mother's wit..,.I was doing this for 9 years.

Veronica in Houston, Texas

85 months ago

Melody T in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: I thought that the hospitals paid less than the retail pharmacies. I was quoted $11.00/hr for the hospital pay. They can't hire me because of a hiring freeze but that is what they told me. I am not sure what the retails pay.

Retail companies like Walgreens usually start about $12.50 -$13.00 DOE

85 months ago

I finally got my results: I PASSED!! *happy dance* I still won't know the actual score until they mail it, but whatever it is, I'm happy :)

Kristen in Wilmington, North Carolina

85 months ago

Great job! I took mine back in May and found out less than 2 weeks later actually that I passed. I was also very excited.

Galina Dimov in Monroe, North Carolina

85 months ago

Hello Kristen,
did you have a lot of drug name questions?
It's a murder to study those brand and generic names and class.
Can you tell me, what was the majority of questions from? Like drug names, math or whatever else?

Kristen in Wilmington, North Carolina

85 months ago

I had memorized the most commonly dispensed drugs (brand/generic/chemical name). I was asked specifically ONE out of the 200 I studied. But I feel if I hadn't studied all of them then I would have been asked several, that's just how the cookie crumbles. I had a TON of inventory questions, like you have 100 Seroquel tablets, and a bottle of 100 costs $120.00 how much does each pill cost? or how much would 17pills cost? But each test is different. As long as your a working tech already and study you will have no problem.

WAGStech in Fayetteville, North Carolina

85 months ago

"My hair was long and I had 2 bobbie pins to pin it back IF it started falling in my eyes. They wouldn't even let me take those in there. Told me that I had to get a locker for it or throw them away or leave it with them. And yes, you feel like you are being tested by the FBI. When you go in there they tell you to empty your pockets and they will assign you a locker. Also, they tell you don't stick your hands in your pockets at all, don't even reach down. And they watch you like a hawk. I had my dry erase board that I did all my calculations on and sometimes do my own kind of calculations so I didn't want them to sit and look at my weird writing on it so I wet my kleenex and tried to wipe it off and I think that it kind of ticked them off. They let me know that if I had to retake it that next time definitely DO NOT do that, they will take care of that.
It is weird testing. They photo id you and finger print you also. So YES.... it is like being in prison. "

The reason they do that is because of the rampant CHEATING that goes on these days. It is a shame really. A few ruin it for the rest.

Pam in George Town, Cayman Islands

84 months ago

deb in Monona, Iowa said: I would appreciate the practice tests. I have ADD, and am 52 years old and about to take the test in a few months. I have worked in a retail pharmacy for 5 years, and am so nervous! If you can help me I would appreciate it.

I am a medical student who just found out her pharmacy technicans liscence lapsed while in school..so, i have to go through this route..im in a financial hardship right now with trying to find money to continue my education, and am completely financially broke..if possible, can i get the practice exams from you? my email: WANNABEMD2004@YAHOO.COM

Marcus in San Francisco, California

84 months ago

JC in Winston Salem, North Carolina said: OK i got 1 more question --- You receive a prescription for amoxicillin 75 mg QID for ten days. How many mls of amoxillin 250 mg/5ml do you need to fill this prescription to last the full ten days???

IF someone can show my how to do these 2 problems it will be really great!

HELP!!

thanks

First you need to know how many total mg is needed for the 10 days.

So 75mg 4 x a day = 300mg per day x 10 days = 3000 mg total

You know there is 250mg per 5ml

What you're looking for is how many ml needed for 3000mg

So 250/5ml = 3000/x ml (solve for x)

3000x5 = 15000 ml
15000 divided by 250mg = 60ml

The answer is 60ml dispensed for the 10 days

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kd in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

Hey... This is a great site im glad i found it.. i will be taking the exam myself in a little over a month and im more worried about the math.. I work for cvs so the one lady trains people in her district was helping me.. Basically was just telling me about what she had on the exam.. Everyone that said they have taken it has said definetly know the math no question about that... I was given 3 books from her and they have helped a lot.. If your a tech in retail you should be fine as long as you know your stuff... So you guys found out in about 2 weeks if you passed or not?

Blonde CPhT in Wilmington, North Carolina

84 months ago

I found out less than 2 weeks after I took it that I passed! good luck know your sigs, math and some law ( I had a random question about CII'S and online pharmacies)...but as long as your in a pharmacy daily you'll be fine!

Galina in Monroe, North Carolina

84 months ago

Hello, there is another way of working this problem. I found it easier for myself.
We need to found out how many ml of suspension we need for 10 days?\

We need to solve for ml. ml=5ml/250mg*75mg=1.5ml per dose * qid=6ml a day. 6*10days=60ml total needed for 10 days.

good luck.

B in Lafayette, Indiana

84 months ago

So, what exactly is the difference b/w the PTCB exam and the ExCPT exam? My state acknowledges both of them...are there any differences as to the type of questions asked?

83 months ago

Anyone scheduled to take the test coming up?

pharma in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

83 months ago

How do you find out where to take the test and who is giving it?
I got on the state of Tenn Board of License and it wasn't listed on there. They have RN and things like respiratory tech but nothing anything like cna or nurse assistant.
I went through 1/2 of RN school so I don't need a class. I think that I can pass the test without going to school. I just need to find out how I can take the test.
If anyone knows, will someone please reply on here?
Thx

83 months ago

www.ptcb.org will have all the info

83 months ago

Hey guys i dont know if anyone is going to be taking the test anytime soon if so let me know cause i will post some very possible questions that will be on the test.. The lady that i got my certification from cvs has given me a lot of stuff and said if you remember the math espically the alligations, brand-generic, most abbreviations, and these questions she sent me then you will be fine.. She sent me 50 questions so if anyone would like me to start posting a few just let me know..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

yes post them and also the answers.

83 months ago

Ok will do.. I will say that i was given 3 books to study for this and they have helped a lot.. I know the books are expensive but if people actually go through cvs or soemthing they get all this for free and take the test for free the first time as well.. APhA pharmacy technician training series: pharmacy tech cert, quick study guide 3rd edition, pharmacy tech workbook n cert review 3rd editon, and the one that is probably the best book and espicall for people who are having some issues with the math is, Basic Pharmacy n Pharmacology series: the pharmacy tech 3rd edition. So if anyone has to pay for books go for the last one and 1st if anytihng..

One other thing study conversions as well:
1 tsp - 5ml
tbsp-15ml
1oz-30 ml
1pt-480ml
1g-3840ml
1g-15.4gr
1gr-64.8mg
1kg-2.2lbs
1lb-454g
1oz-30g
3tea-1tbsp
2tbsp-1oz
16oz-1pint
2pt-1qrt
4qrt-1g
160oz-1lb
1000mcg-1mg
1000mg-1g
1000g-1kg
1000ml-1lb

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

1. agency charged with approval to market new drug entities is the:
a. US patent office
b. fda *** Answer
c. dea
d. state board of pharmacy

2.Responsibilities of the fda include all except:
a. regulating package units
b. regulating drug advertising
c. issuing recalls when necessary
d. approving patent applications *** Answer

3.Agency which licenses the pharmacy is:
a. fda
b. state board of pharm. *** answer
c. state legislators
d. all of the above much approve the license

4. The "rules" governing the practice pf pharmacy in a state are known as:
a. pharmacy practice act *** Answer
b. standard of practice
c. admin. code
d. standard operating procedure

5. Who are you most likely to see conducting a routine inspection of your pharmacy:
a. dea investigator
b. fda investigator
c. state pharm. compliance officer *** Answer
d. state police investigator

6. Usually a state will have 3 pieces of legislation governing the practice of pharmacy. Which is not one:
a. pharm. practice act
b. admin code
c. state controlled substance act
d. state patented drug act *** Answer

7. Federal dea has jursidiction on any:
a. legend drug within the state
b. controlled substances within the state
c. legend drugs that have crossed state lines
d. controlled substances which have crossed state lines** Answer

8.True/False: It is possible for a drug to be defined as a controlled substance within your state if it doesnt appear on a federal dea controlled substance schedule:
a. ture ***answer

9.the governing body of pharmacy with in the state is known as the:
a. pharmacy committee
b. board of pharmacy *** answer
c. gov. pharmacy committee
d. state legislature

10. The first piece of legislation which covered the purity of drugs was:
a. federal food and drug act *** Answer
b. federal food, drug, and cosmetic act
c. durham-humphrey amendment
d. kefauver-harris amendment

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

11. a bottle that contained dyazide but was labeled diabeta would be said to be:
a.adultered
b.misbranded ***answer
c.both
d.none

12. the federal food, drug and cosmetic act was importand for the fact that it was the first legislation to demand:
a.purity of product
b.safety of product ***answer
c.effect. of product
d.all of the above

13. durham-humphrey and kefauver-harris are both amendments of the:
a.federal food and drug act
b.federal food, drug, and cosmetic act *** answer
c.fed. controlled substances act
d.none of the above

14. which of the following created the class known as "legend drugs":
a.durham-humphrey *** answer
b.kefauver-harris
c.fed. fdca
d.none of the above

15. whic of the following demanded proof of effectiveness before a new drug could be manufactured:
a.durham-humphrey
b.kefauver-harris ***answer
c.fed. fdca
d.none of the above

16. first attempt at controlling narcotics involved the use of:
a.5 "schedules"
b.taxation ***answer
c.a dea license
d.narcotics police

17.pharmacy laws can be enacted by:
a.local gov.
b.state gov.
c.fed. gov.
d.all of the above ***answer

18.level which a practitioner is expected to perform is called:
a.standard of practice ***answer
b.pharm. standard
c.universal requiremant
d.none of the above

19.organiztion involved in certifying institutional health care organizations is:
a.maaco
b.amoco
c.jcaho (first letter is either j or u) *** answer
d.eieio

20. poss. caues for violation on 3rd party audit is all except:
a.wrong pack size billed
b.no patient signature
c.wrong quantity billed
d.all of the above would be violations *** answer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I will do up to 25.. there are 50 in all but i will post some more of them later tonight if anything.. Wasnt expecting to have any of these questions so glad she gave me all this info..

21. the nda is used:
a.approve a new drug product for sale **answer
b.transport an investigational drug across state lines
c.patent a drug
d.all of the above

22.the ndi is used:
a.approve a new drug product for sale **answer
b.transport an investigational drug across state lines ***answer
c.patent a drug
d.all of the above

23. In order to get an approval on an nda, the applicant would need to show:
1. safety of the drug
2.effectiveness of the drug
3.proper labeling of the drug
4.proper manufacturing conditions for the drug:
a.I and II only
b.I and III only
c.I,II, and Iv only
d.I,II,III, and Iv ***Answer

24. true/false: The same drug may be sold under more than one trade name:
****Answer (true)

25.the name that is used in a clinical journal will be the:
a.chemical name
b.generic name *** answer
c.trade name
d.clinical name

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

salman in Grayson, Georgia

83 months ago

well i m writing exam on 30 august ,if anybody who has given exam recently can guide me about me exam,i m doing pharmacy trainer cd....please anybody who has given or anybody who has talked to exam taker please write about the real picture of exam,thanx in advance

salman in Grayson, Georgia

83 months ago

if anybody here writing exam can contact me on this email id: sallukashif2007@gmail.com

83 months ago

You know I have never been more disappointed in this choice in all my life. I didn't go to a pharmacy school, however, I did go 1/2 way through nursing school; thought that I could pass because I did really well in pharmacology class. I did pass! (yea!!!) There has been 3 pharmacies open up in my town plus 2 jobs posted at the hospital. Do you know that no one will even give me an interview because I didn't go to a "pharmacy tech school" OR the main one: "I don't have experience".
How in the world does one get experience if no one will hire you?
I am so frustrated right now I don't know what to do so now I am looking into school again so I can find something else to do but I don't want to waste my time if it is going to be this way with everything that I do.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe from someone that has had the same problem and perhaps found a remedy???????
THanks.

JohnS in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

83 months ago

pharma in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: You know I have never been more disappointed in this choice in all my life. I didn't go to a pharmacy school, however, I did go 1/2 way through nursing school; thought that I could pass because I did really well in pharmacology class. I did pass! (yea!!!) There has been 3 pharmacies open up in my town plus 2 jobs posted at the hospital. Do you know that no one will even give me an interview because I didn't go to a "pharmacy tech school" OR the main one: "I don't have experience".
How in the world does one get experience if no one will hire you?
I am so frustrated right now I don't know what to do so now I am looking into school again so I can find something else to do but I don't want to waste my time if it is going to be this way with everything that I do.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe from someone that has had the same problem and perhaps found a remedy???????
THanks.

You can go to school, and still not find a job. most important, the real reason is that you have no experience...and do you blame them? nobody wants to take that first risky step, and put someone into a pharmacy that has never been there before, and it does not matter what career choice it is...try getting a janitors job without experience, these days no company wants to put the extra $$$ into training unless they really have too...not many pharmacies will want strangers messing with meds that have never done so before, all you do is keep trying, one day you will find that desperate pharmacy that needs someone badly, but do not expect your pay to be that good, and after that, it will take time, then you can move on to others things as you have built some trust with the company...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Well that is why they require a test so they know that you are compentent to do the job, otherwise they could take any tom,dick, or harry off the street and not worry whether they took the test of not. If somoene doesn't give the inexperienced a chance then eventually there would be no one to take the 'retired' spots. I mean, good grief, I passed the test. I can do the job. That is what the test is show people. It was a hard test. Not anyone can walk up and take that test and pass. I guarantee you that I am probably better than some of the ones that they could possibly hire. I have been through nursing school. I didn't finish because I had a maniac stalking and harrassing me and I moved out of state to stay alive. But that is beside the point. I keep trying and trying and I have applications in all over the place, but without the opportunity, the inexperienced doesn't have a chance whether or not they are the better choice or not. In my case, it would be nice to see someone face to face / an interview is all that I am asking. Without experience - you're history before you even start. So what good would school have done. If I go back to college and finish my degree, I won't have experience when I get out either. So what is one to do?
They had a job posted at the hospital. It was gone in a couple of days. Why? The already knew who they were going to hire. So why post the job? In this day and time you have to KNOW someone to get you in.

Anyone with help or know how to get the help would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone know someone? Can you put in a word or make that call? ANYTHING - PLEASE

kd in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

anyone want me to post the last 25 questions?

Which places have you applied to? just hospital settings or have you applied to retail pharmacies as well? Best chance is to get into a retail one first and then work your way towards the hospital since they pay more there.. It can be hard to get in but then again it is very hard to get into nursing homes as well.. the test doesnt mean as much to them.. are they going to choose someone who passed the test and has no experience or someone who has worked in the pharmacy lets say 1-3 years and hasnt passed the test?..

83 months ago

I have put my application in hospitals, mom and pop private pharmacies, bigger retail pharmacies, factories that pull drugs and ship them out, cancer drug factories, and even temperary agencies that deal in health care. Trust me. In this business you HAVE to know someone. This is not a pass a test and get a job business. You have to be dating the pharmacists, know a dr to get you an interview.... something. And you keep saying that they want someone that has been working somewhere for yrs... then if that is the case then why do they even have schools or even offer the test? Why? This is so frustrating. For those who is about to apply for the test, about to take the test, or go to pharm tech school, I would advice against it UNLESS you know someone that can get you a job, otherwise, you will be wasting your time and your money.

pam in Laguna Niguel, California

83 months ago

can you post the last 25 questions..pleaseeeeeeeeee?
thanks

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.