Did you take your PTCE Exam? Please come here and help others....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 940)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Cassandra Vidler in Flower Mound, Texas

77 months ago

Thanks, KD, keep 'em coming!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kd in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

37.when dispensing a controlled substance prescription in a retail store, what must appear on the label?
a.symbol "rx only"
b.statement:"caution federal law prohibits dispensing withouta prescription"
c.statement:"caution federal law prohibits the transfer of this drug to any person other than the person for whom it was prescribed". **answer
d.all of the above

38.when looking at a manufacturers stock bottle you can tell a drug is a controlled substance because:
****Answer: symbol "C" followed by the number of schedule to which is belongs

39.route of administration refers to the:
a.way a drug enters the body **answer
b.way a drug is metabolized
c.way a prescription is dispensed
d. type of supervision in the pharmacy

40.which of the following is a parenteral route of administration
a.PO
b.SL
c.Transdermal
d.IC **answer

41.which would not be an appropriate route for a drug which is extremely irritating to the stomach?
a.a PO enteric coated tablet
b.IM
c.NG **answer
d.IV

42.why must the route of administration be written on the drug order?
a.some drugs come in different forms for different routes of administration **answer
b.to know if the drug has to be ordered
c.JCAHO requires it
d.none of the above

43.true or false: capsules may be an enteric coated product
**anser: true

44. a cream is a _____ dosage form:
a.sold
b.semi-solid **answer
c.liquid
d.compounded

45.a patient who can not have products containing alcohol should not take:
a.solution
b.suspension
c.syrup
d.elixr **answer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

salman in Grayson, Georgia

77 months ago

well these mcqs r from pharmacy trainer cd,100% same question as in pharmacy trainer cd ,i m doing from trainer cd so i know all these question,thanx

77 months ago

yea i know but there are a lot of people that actually have to pay for all that stuff so just giving them some info. yea they are from the cd and books and you and i dont really need them but if i didnt have any of that would want the q's.. when do u take the test?

77 months ago

i m planing to wrrite exam 0n 30 august,if anybody whwo has given exam can guide me wat real exam look like,thanx

superstrame in Pasadena, California

77 months ago

hi all,

I will be taking PTCB Exam on monday august 25. I hope I can pass this test and thanks to kd in Bethlehem for posted questions. I feel a little overwhelming but I think ok.

77 months ago

hey please write ur exam experience after ur exam thanx again superstrame

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

77 months ago

They had a job posted at the hospital. It was gone in a couple of days. Why? The already knew who they were going to hire. So why post the job? In this day and time you have to KNOW someone to get you in.

Why? maybe a requirement by law that a company must post the job...I do not think most people realize that 99.9% of hospital jobs are taken on the internal level before ever reaching the public. Which means people that work at a hospital will get first shot at the job before the outside world does.

I was called to a hospital interview not to long back. the hospital knew I had 0 experiance, but called me anyway...I got an email the very same day saying I was not selected for the job...they already knew they was not going to hire me..they wasted their time, and mine...so why did they do this? to fill an interview quota maybe? Of course I was excited when they called, but it was all BS from the start...

phar in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

77 months ago

So why did they bother?
So why did I bother taking the test and wasting my money?
I agree. This is BS. So what is a person to do?
So you, VRose, having the same problem as I am having getting a job?
I guess you have to know someone in order to get anywhere in this
world. That is ashamed because I would be good and I am a good
worker and I would make this my career, not just a job.
I just look at it like they missed out, not me.

77 months ago

phar in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: So why did they bother?
So why did I bother taking the test and wasting my money?
I agree. This is BS. So what is a person to do?
So you, VRose, having the same problem as I am having getting a job?
I guess you have to know someone in order to get anywhere in this
world. That is ashamed because I would be good and I am a good
worker and I would make this my career, not just a job.
I just look at it like they missed out, not me.

Its up to you if you want to bother or not. You can see this as a deterant or a challange, you can give up, or keep moving forward...yes it can be hard...I went to a school, I paid many $1,000's of $$$ that I thought was worthless, I looked for about 1-2 years, then I started to change the way I was actually looking for a job which did not yield any interviews at all, I took my excpt exam a few months ago. one week after I took the exam, I was hired into a very low wage retail pharmacy where I am still at now. I am very slow in learning, i am not very fast paced person. I am learning what I can learn, because I hope one day this low paying job will turn into a better paying job at another company., even though i was not born to be a pharmacy tech, but I was born to be rich, and some how god misplaced me :) but I am doing what I can, I show up on time. I am willing to work what Iam asked too, and even more. this company is so bad that I was only hired as part time, they do not hire many full time people so they can save on benefits, so i will do what I can do until i feel it is time for me to move onto sometime better.

77 months ago

VRose,
Well I took the test so I guess I have about 1.5 more years to go before I am even with you to find a job. As I don't know what else to do but put my application in, and then follow up. I do not confine myself to only 'good' jobs. I call it trying to find ANY job. I am willing to do anything except drive an hour or so to and from work. I am just waiting I guess. Don't know what I am waiting on... someone to meet that can put me in a position, someone to discover my abilities, someone to call me for an interview???? I don't know how I could change the way that I look at the jobs. I think that having an open mind to accept anything for the experience and following up on places that I have put applications in, is about the only way that I know to look at it.
LOL... I too was meant to be rich and just like you I have been misplaced also. So I am trying to find my way through all this misplacement ....enough to make a house payment in the meantime till God finds his way back to me to show me my 'real' place in life (rich).
I am, however, glad that you at least got some kind of job. Anything to put you in a position so you can say that you have experience so you can find a better paying job later. If I could find that, yeah I would take it and part time would be perfect for me right now.
Good luck to you and I hope you find yourself advancing soon.

77 months ago

good luck tomorrow on the test let us know how it went.. to the other person you will be fine study just dont over study..

77 months ago

phar in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: VRose,
Well I took the test so I guess I have about 1.5 more years to go before I am even with you to find a job. As I don't know what else to do but put my application in, and then follow up. I do not confine myself to only 'good' jobs. I call it trying to find ANY job. I am willing to do anything except drive an hour or so to and from work. I am just waiting I guess. Don't know what I am waiting on... someone to meet that can put me in a position, someone to discover my abilities, someone to call me for an interview???? I don't know how I could change the way that I look at the jobs. I think that having an open mind to accept anything for the experience and following up on places that I have put applications in, is about the only way that I know to look at it.
LOL... I too was meant to be rich and just like you I have been misplaced also. So I am trying to find my way through all this misplacement ....enough to make a house payment in the meantime till God finds his way back to me to show me my 'real' place in life (rich).
I am, however, glad that you at least got some kind of job. Anything to put you in a position so you can say that you have experience so you can find a better paying job later. If I could find that, yeah I would take it and part time would be perfect for me right now.

I got lucky when i got hired. I cant say that hired me because of my experiance because I did not have any, i did
not even feel the interview went all that great, I am just not cut our for interviews, but as they interviewed me, I caught some comments from them also "we are in desperate need"
I had a gut feeling, if I was lucky enough to be the only canidate then i pretty much had the job, and I was, if i was not hired, then they would have gone without the help until they could hire someone with experiance, so it can happen if you are persistant...

77 months ago

[quote]

Working as a pharmacy tech is very limited if you think about it...you have retail, you have in/out pt hospital, and home infusion pharmacy techs. without exp, retail can be hard to get, hospital is very hard to get regardless, and home infusion is probably almost impossible to get as they are not dime a dozen like retail pharmacy tech's are, however you can do IV infusion in an in-pt hospital setting, and if you do not have that experiance, then dont hold your breath...there are just not a lot of options for pharmacy techs, you have either this or that, and if you want anything more then being a pharm tech, then roll out into other areas IE: assistant manager, and to be honest 99.9% of retail chains only have 1-2 full time workers (depending on business) everyone else like myself is a parttimer...our store has 1 full time (40 hours only) and several part-time workers, and I assure you the pharmacists make all the money, not the pharmacy techs, if anything, we are all underpaid, while pharmacists are overpaid...

77 months ago

So how do you find the "desperate" pharmacies?

77 months ago

phar in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: So how do you find the "desperate" pharmacies?

I guess you can call it luck. prepare your resume the best you can, do some research on phamacies in your area, and do some resume mailings.

77 months ago

That is a good idea. I never thought about sending my resume directly to pharmacies. I can look in the phone book and find even the little mom and pop pharmacies and send to them. Hopefully I will have something come up soon enough. Thanks for that suggestion. I had never thought about that. I will do that.

77 months ago

phar in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: That is a good idea. I never thought about sending my resume directly to pharmacies. I can look in the phone book and find even the little mom and pop pharmacies and send to them. Hopefully I will have something come up soon enough. Thanks for that suggestion. I had never thought about that. I will do that.

I played the online application game for 1-2 years with no luck, no interviews..so i decided to change my tactics..within a week of my first mailings, lets say I had more then 1 phone call, and i was not greedy, i took the first
one that came my way, if i did this again, I probably would get even more calls seeing ive been in the pharmacy for 4 months now...there is a lot to learn, anyones biggest challange would be insurance problems, in our pharmacy, since drugs are so expensive, very few people pay cash, most of everything is covered on insurance, and the customer pays a deductible...

one other thing ive been seeing on retail hospital jobs. most of them say "6 month exp required" I can not say that I am a wizard with insurance problems, our lead tech handles most of the insurance problems...when you do get into a pharmacy, get to know how insurance works, IT IS A MUST! any monkey like myself can count 30 pills out and pour into a bottle...If you ever want to see the inside of a hospital that pays more, know how insurance works backwards and forwards...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

I did a search on Career builders in your area.. this one does not seem to require a lot, but you know if they find someone with exp, they will most likely be hired first...

they do require that you be certified, and registered for your state.

www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?IPath=QHKGCV&ff=21&APath=2.21.0.0.0&job_did=J8E76X6KBSJL15C8SVP

77 months ago

Thanks VRose. I have already put in for that one. I have bobarded all of careerbuilders and monster.com's adds in my area. I have sent about 35 resumes over the internet from those places. So far nothing. I don't know they over look me. My resume was done professionally: looks good, sounds good.
I will keep looking but thank you so very much for helping. Just keep a look out for me. I appreciate it.

AAM in Riverside, California

77 months ago

Hi everyone,
I just took the PTCB exam ,and i want to share my experience with you:
a lot of math my first impression around 75% of the exam, 1-2 allegation math, flow rate, mark up%, some basic calculations,child dose, and 2-3 generic brand names,& the rest between inventory questions &controlled substances & basics pharmacy tech should & should not to do.
My advice focus more on math calculations.
I hope I will pass.
Good luck to everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Just want to add, thanks Kd for posting the questions and good luck Salman in your exam.

bethanylloyd in Macclesfield, United Kingdom

77 months ago

i realy want to have a job on habbo because i find i will get more credits but i want a job on habbo for another reason because it isnt boring

bugzbunny16 in Macclesfield, United Kingdom

77 months ago

i thiunk that comment is very good because u have put a lot of description in it about the job and what we do and stuff like that.

Galina Dimov in Monroe, North Carolina

77 months ago

Hello everyone,
I have found these questions and answers, if anyone needs them, use them.
Commas beside the answer means the correct one
1. Pharmacy Law:
All prescription drugs are required to have a NDC Number which consists of 3 sets of numbers. What does the third set of numbers indicate?
a) Manufacturer
b) drug name, strength and dosage form
c) dosage form
d) package size ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
2. Drugs:
What would the trade name for clarithromycin be?
a) Pen VK
b) Ery-Tab
c) Biaxin,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
d) Cipro
3. Pharmacy Law:
Which Schedule of Drug is considered to have a high abuse potential and of no medicinal value
a) Schedule I,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
b) Schedule II
c) Schedule III
d) Schedule IV
4. Drugs:
The general name for a drug is the _________ name.
a) manufacturer's
b) brand
c) DEA
d) generic ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
5. Calculations:
You receive a prescription for FeSO4 100mg po TID x 10 days. You look on the shelf and find a 473ml bottle FeSO4 220mg/5ml. Approximately what total volume is to fill this prescription?
a) 50 ml
b) 70 ml ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
c) 90 ml
d) 110 ml

6. Hospital:
Of the following IV's which one most likely will be given in the shortest period of time?
a) IV infusion
b) IV Drip
c) IV Bolus,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
d) IVPB
7. Directions:
In the following sig: 1 po TID ac and hs x 7 days How many tablets need to be dispensed?
a) 24
b) 26
c) 28,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
d) 30
8. Compounding:
What of the following terms applies to one or more drugs that that are completely dissolved in a vehicle with high amounts of alcohol added?
a) solution
b) syrup
c) elixir,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
d) suspension

9. Calculations:
The cost of one-half ounce of zinc oxide ointment costs $0.84. If the markup is 10% percent and the

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

I hope that you pass, mine is coming on Sept 23. I haven't even started to study drugs, I don't know if I should postpone mine. I am doing well with math though. Will see.

77 months ago

hey AAM thanx u soo much for sharing ur experience,good luck,75% maths thats alot,best of luck

77 months ago

I just hope you get a job.
I can't find one because I do not have experience and no one wants to hire me to give me experience.
Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J.Horne in Chattanooga, Tennessee

77 months ago

I passed my exam in December of 2007 thanks to E-bay. I purchased a study guide from ptcbtrainer off there and I passed. Great study material. He used to work for the PTCB. Good luck

77 months ago

good luck. I hope you can find a job now. I am in Murfreesboro, TN and they don't hire you here without experience. I haven't a clue how you get experience if no one will hire you, but.... good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

hello "PHAR" i hope u get the job without experience.....

77 months ago

Hello Salman,
That is just it. I can't get a job. I passed March 3rd and I have put applications in all over everywhere. I bet there is not one place in a 50 mile period that doesn't have my application. I finally asked someone what it was about my resume (it was professionally done) and they said that I was goign to have a hard time because I HAD NO NO NO NO NO EXPERIENCE. So I am out of the pharm tech business because no one will hire me to give me the experience. Don't ask me how the other ever got experience. All I can think of is they knew someone to give them the job. Me? I don't know anyone so I am out of luck.
Hope it goes better for you and I hope you know someone that can get you started.

Dave in Columbia, Maryland

77 months ago

i'm looking for a nationally certified pharm tech with 5+ years experience in south jersey. it is a steady 30 hours per week with full medical benefits and paid national holidays. if you are interested, please e-mail me at jerseycitymss@maxhealth.com

77 months ago

5 YEARS EXPERIENCE.... I REST MY CASE!!!!!!!!!!

So tell me where does one get the experience if NO ONE hires anyone except the experienced?

77 months ago

phar in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: 5 YEARS EXPERIENCE.... I REST MY CASE!!!!!!!!!!

So tell me where does one get the experience if NO ONE hires anyone except the experienced?

he will not find anyone with 5 years exp to work a part
time job..they would have to be desperate or out of their mind, unless the pay is just that good.

77 months ago

And VRose, You know, I am older, I have run 2 business before, I have a family that has needs. I am very intellegent and a quick learner. The reason I am in the position that I am in is that I got screwed in a divorce. My X hid all of our money. He gave it to his girlfriend to hide for him and covered his paper trail well. We had our own business so he could do that. I need a job and would put my heart and soul into learning the ins and outs and would probably make the BEST employee that anyone could ever imagine..... but because I haven't worked for someone before... even though I can pass the test..... I will never get hired. I am at the point to where I am fixing to "fix my resume up" with alot of goody places that I supposedly worked. Is that what they want? Is that what I am going to have to do? Is that what this world is coming to?

77 months ago

whatever you think the world is coming too, well its worse..:)
you do have the fortune of living to a major city...If a peron keeps telling themself they are never going to get hired, then you do not have much to look forward too...4 months earlier I did not have experiance, and somone hired me with no experiance...so it does happen...I suppose the reason it is tough to get in is because each pharmacy base is small, if you look into each retail pharmacy store, then you will not see a lot of pharmacy tech's...we have 5 techs in our store, 1 full time, one parttime, and 3 less then part time...
its not like you walk into a company and they are looking for 1000 postions to fill, and with having no experiance, you have to catch the store at the right time, i feel the only reason i was hired was because there were no other canidates, and they needed someone badly...

77 months ago

And that is the advantage of living in a smaller community.
Being close to nashville is a disadvantage because there is more techs than pharmacies.
I will have to drive several hours away to a smaller community where there are pharmacies but no techs. The thing is, I am not willing to spend $700 in gas just to make $800, then pay a babysitter and come out in the hole.
So... for now.... I just hope all those people taking the test knows someone to get them in somewhere or they are luckier than I or they could save their money and do something else.

77 months ago

hey "PHAR" why dont u shift to small community,i mean if this possible for u,best of luck,my exam is on friday ,

77 months ago

Well I have a 2 yr old. The closest small town would be about a 2 hr drive. (this place is really spread out). By the time I pay a sitter, spend that much money driving that far in gas, I wouldn't make any money. I need something late shift like 3 to 10 or 11 or even later like 4 or 5 till 10 or 11 and weekends. Just part time is all that I am begging for. There have been 3 brand new pharmacies built, all within 3 miles from my house. I figured I wanted the shift that no one wants, so how hard would that be? But apparently it is very hard. You know God may not want me to work right now. Maybe he wants me home with my baby girl. I am just going to sit back and wait it out and see what happens. I have applications and resumes out all over the place. I guess when the time is right, someone will call. I am writing a book also about my experience with the devil so maybe God wants me to do that. Who knows. I have just resided myself to the fact that it will happen when it happens.
Good luck on your test Salman. You are in Atlanta. I use to live in Rome. Surely you can find a job in Atlanta. Let me know how it all turns out. Do you know someone in a pharmacy who can get you on? Start working on that now.
Let us know how the test goes.

Pharmacy Tech Envy in Clovis, California

77 months ago

I purchased a self study CD from www.pharmacytrainer.com recently and put all my focus on studying it. The material was top notch, and easy to understand. Lots of math was covered and there were lots of practice math problems. The CD came with an actual test of the PTCB (maybe an older one) and I studied the heck out of it! Sad to say, most of the questions on the CD study test was nothing like the actual test itself. My recommendations to folks preparing to take the test is to master the math, know dilutions M(1)V(1)=M(2)V(2), Alligations, Dosage calculations (they try to trick you by changing the data around), Conversions (once you get the math down it's easy, Beware! Read the question carefully because the questions will want the answer to be converted to a different type of value!). Another subject to know is the Cost+markup+dispensing Fee=Selling Price. Know your brand/generics and Class 2 drugs(which I barely studied and probably missed a whole bunch).

There are lots of scenarios in there like:
(This one was on the Test)
A customer comes in the pharmacy and states that his prescription has run out and requests for it to be filled. His drug is Oxycodone+Acetaminophen. What should you do?

1.Tell the Pharmacist to contact the physician for refill?
2.Check data regarding the customer's drug and then refill?
3.Fill the prescription and then call the physician yourself to verify?
4.No refill is allowed? (answer)

Another One I remember is(which I missed):
What is the purpose of MedWatch?(report adverse events/reactions to medications)

What temperature should the refrigerator in the pharmacy be set at?(2-8 degrees celsius)

There was one where they give you the drug amount which was 25 ml. then they give two drugs and their percentage in the drug which are 10% and 5%. They give you a drug which is 300mg (some drug) #1. Find the concentration of the 300mg drug in the total solution.(I blanked out on this one and guessed!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Another one I remember that was on the test is:
What is Biovailibility?(something about the rate of absorption)

During drug testing on the Pharmacy tech what is the purpose of the Pharmacy Tech's job(this question was so stupidly asked that I experienced a brainfart Storm!!!!)(answer is something about collecting info for statistic)
Many of the questions are poorly worded to mess your comprehension even more because I think that if they worded the questions accordingly, everyone with good common sense would pass.

There was also a question about a patient allergic to sulfa drugs and you needed to be able to identify the sulfa drug (Bactrim+sulfamethoxazole)

One of the drug question asked was extremely specific as far as how many times it could be refilled over the phone.

I honestly don't think that I did very well on the Test and I really need this in order to relocate and not have to take a State's required license where I wanna go. I've already done my California License Pharmacy Technician License through Boston Reed College (They are the Cheapest $1800 in California and the shortest 6 Months by attending 1 Saturday Class a Week for 8 Hrs). Already did my 120 Hrs of internship and now just waiting for my California License to come. The state workers are super slow right now because the governor just laid a bunch of people off and tried to lower state worker's income (how wonderful for me while I sit over here in the dark twiddling my thumbs and waiting for my license to come in order to apply for a pharmacy tech job).

77 months ago

I forgot to mention that there are only 90 questions and 10 of them are survey. You cannot bring your own calculator, no wallet, no cell phone, nadda!!! Only thing you can have is your ATT Letter and Your ID which your name must match with the letter. They provided lockers for my stuff. No paper was provided but they gave me a small erasable board with a marker

77 months ago

well good luck pharmacy california for sharinf ur experience,well my exam is on friday,i have prepared from same cd as u did,let see wat will happen with me,good luck and thanx for sharing,....

77 months ago

Salman, let me know what kind of cd you have used. Maybe I will get one too, bc my exam on sept 23.

77 months ago

did they give you calculator?

77 months ago

Salman, Yes they provide a calculator and the CD is from www.pharmacytrainer.com.

77 months ago

what is this dilutions M(1)V(1)=M(2)V(2)?????,this is not covers in pharmacytrainer cd,can anuone guide me what is about?please my exam is on friday,thank you....

77 months ago

is this dilution maths question??

250mg of "Drug A" is diluted to 500ml with NS. The drug order states that the 250mg is to be administered at a rate of 50mg per hour. Our administration set is calibrated to 15gtt/ml. Calculate the necessary rate in ml/min and the appropriate gtt/min. First, use a proportion to calculate the volume which contains 50mg, since your order calls for 50mg/hr

76 months ago

Hi salman, how was your exam? hope u did well.
Share with us when you can.
Good luck

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.