Is anyone happy with their job as a pharmacy tech?

Comments (9)

liltrotter in Bristol, Virginia

12 months ago

Just finishing my pharmacy tech course-but all I read is how people hate their job.
is there anyone happy with their job. Need to hear encouragement from those who have positive things to say about the field for those of us entering.

Mississippian in Cleveland, Mississippi

11 months ago

I've been a pharmacy tech for just over a year now and haven't had a problem with it so far. Sure, the pay could be better, but it could be worse. From reading some of the responses on here, I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones.

I never took courses for it, I just bought a book and read it from front to back. Took the excpt test after about a month of studying and passed it on the first go. I sent off for my registration and began applying everywhere except places like Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc. Before the registration even went through, I received two job offers: part time at a hospital @ $13.50/hr, and full time at a specialty pharmacy @ $11.50/hr. I went with my gut and started at the specialty pharmacy. Just after a year of experience, I'm over $16/hr, though I highly doubt it'll keep climbing this quickly.

My job is fairly easy, as long as you are good with your hands so that you can work aseptically . I spend all night making PCAs, Intravia bags, syringes, and cassettes in a clean room. I get overtime from time to time and there's no shortage of work. The only stress is making sure I don't mess up your aseptic technique or screw up your documentation. I don't deal with customers, thankfully.

I can say I'm happy with my job, for now.

Just don't forget to look down the road when you start. Find a good company or hospital and find what you will need to move up in it. Pharmacy tech is basically the grunt of the pharmacy field, so don't expect too much out of it early on, but it is as good of a place as any to get your foot in the door.

liltrotter in Bristol, Virginia

11 months ago

thank you for the encouragement-i'm so tired of hearing how people hate their jobs-i'm happy just to have one-like yous aid it could be worse

Seriousaboutthis in Markham, Illinois

11 months ago

To be honest, I do not hate my position as a pharmacy technician. Maybe it is because I work in a small hospital and depending on the census, it can be an okay position. The only complaints I have about this job is that I don't get enough hours and some of the folks I work with are complete wack-a-doodles but that can be applied to almost any job when working with others (especially other women). Not going to lie, it was hard for the first several months but after a while, I finally found my stride. Basically folks who only are in it for the money will find themselves miserable. Technically I am in it for the money but I know I shouldn't limit myself to just pharmacy technician, this is just a starter position for me.

leahnc in Louisburg, North Carolina

10 months ago

Which book did you use to study for the exam? I have a little bit of retail pharm tech experience, but that was over 18 years ago. Im in banking now and trying to follow my passion. I always loved learning about medications... I know I want to work in a hospital. Thank you

Mississippian in Cleveland, Mississippi said: I've been a pharmacy tech for just over a year now and haven't had a problem with it so far. Sure, the pay could be better, but it could be worse. From reading some of the responses on here, I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones.

I never took courses for it, I just bought a book and read it from front to back. Took the excpt test after about a month of studying and passed it on the first go. I sent off for my registration and began applying everywhere except places like Walmart, Walgreens, CVS , etc. Before the registration even went through, I received two job offers: part time at a hospital @ $13.50/ hr , and full time at a specialty pharmacy @ $11.50/hr. I went with my gut and started at the specialty pharmacy. Just after a year of experience, I'm over $16/hr, though I highly doubt it'll keep climbing this quickly.

My job is fairly easy, as long as you are good with your hands so that you can work aseptically . I spend all night making PCAs, Intravia bags, syringes, and cassettes in a clean room. I get overtime from time to time and there's no shortage of work. The only stress is making sure I don't mess up your aseptic technique or screw up your documentation. I don't deal with customers, thankfully.

I can say I'm happy with my job, for now.

Just don't forget to look down the road when you start. Find a good company or hospital and find what you will need to move up in it. Pharmacy tech is basically the grunt of the pharmacy field, so don't expect too much out of it early on, but it is as good of a place as any to get your foot in the door.

Tony in Bellflower, California

10 months ago

liltrotter in Bristol, Virginia said: Just finishing my pharmacy tech course-but all I read is how people hate their job.
is there anyone happy with their job. Need to hear encouragement from those who have positive things to say about the field for those of us entering.

Everybody's experience can be different. What they say has truth to it. I was in the same position as most are retail. Almost 80 percent of the job market as a technician is in retail. I worked at cvs and really hated it . I was good at my job and been in customer service all my life. The first 3 months were stressful as i was hired during winter. Pretty bad start for me I thought i made a big mistake. Pay is bad drive thru is bad lots of things are bad. But ive learned it also has to do with location. But within 1 year i was receiving job offers from different employers mail order pharmacy and my horizons changed. I know work in a good place i love my job. I train other technicians when i got hired into a hospital. Pay is great i go home happy now. I dont regret going into this profession. The begging of my career has gotten me to this place and without it i wouldn't be where i am today.

DNA in Detroit, Michigan

9 months ago

I like what I do as there's always someone to help and something new to learn. I love the people I work with as well but the pay sucks. It's a dead end job--note, not a career. You're not only working for the company but also under the pharmacist's supervision at all times. I'm starting graduate school next week so I won't be a PT for too long now and look forward to that day.

CPhT_OH in Ohio

9 months ago

I enjoyed retail more than mail order. I moved to mail order for the pay increase. I'm currently seeking employment at a hospital now though.

CPhT in Hazleton, Pennsylvania

9 months ago

It all depends on the team you are working with. It's been my experience if it's a good team that works well together and nobody has the "that's not my job" attitude the day can really go by quickly, so it's the environment that I think it's the environment in retail that can make it a worthwhile career or burn you out quickly. I've worked in retail for a long time (20 years) and I still enjoy working with and helping people- you really can make someone's day as a pharmacy tech. Hospital work is much harder to come by, in my town there is only ONE hospital so it's been impossible to get in. Also be careful with independents- that was my mistake- I left a chain to go to an independent pharmacy and when I did, and I had a family medical emergency my boss was unable to hold my position for me and I ended up losing my job. Now that the family member is doing better I'm trying to get back into the workforce(after 3 months) and finding it extremely difficult even with great references! It seems to really depend on where you live, some states have many openings for good techs, others areas like mine, seem to have NONE right now.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.