PTCB EXAM RESULTS...along with a question

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 1132)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Tam in Belleville, Illinois

77 months ago

Hello guys! I have been browsing this site for quite some time as I have been studying for the PTCE. I am pleased to inform you that I took it today and passed! The sweet part about it is that now you don't have to wait to find out. The computer tells you at the end of the exam if you passed or not. You still have to wait for the actual score though. Thanks to everyone for all of the valuable information as well as the inspiration. After three long months of studying its finally over.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ML in Arlington, Virginia

77 months ago

Tam in Belleville, Illinois said: Hello guys! I have been browsing this site for quite some time as I have been studying for the PTCE. I am pleased to inform you that I took it today and passed! The sweet part about it is that now you don't have to wait to find out. The computer tells you at the end of the exam if you passed or not. You still have to wait for the actual score though. Thanks to everyone for all of the valuable information as well as the inspiration. After three long months of studying its finally over.

Hi Tam,
Congratulations!!
What a relief? Huh?
Would you please give me the info about study materials you used?
What is the name of the book and who is the writer?
Please help me.
Thanks.

77 months ago

ML in Arlington, Virginia said: Hi Tam,
Congratulations!!
What a relief? Huh?
Please help me.
Thanks.

Hey ML! I used The Pharmacy Technician 3rd edition by American Pharmacists Association. Complete Math Review for the Pharmacy Technician, William Hopkins, Jr., also by the APhA. Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review by Patricia K. Anthony. Hope this helps you ML. The test wasn't extremely difficult, but it wasn't a cake walk either. My particular test was probably an equal measure of all things (math, brand/generic names/general pharm. info.)You can do it, especially if you give yourself some time to study for it.

77 months ago

ML in Arlington, Virginia said: Hi Tam,
Congratulations!!
What a relief? Huh?
Please help me.
Thanks.

Oh yeah! I forgot to tell you that I got all my books on ebay really cheap. So check there first before you decide to pay full price for them.

Sprinkles

77 months ago

Hey there! I just took my exam this past open testing time and failed! I am a newer tech that works at a psychiatric hospital. We do not do anything with IV's or much compounding at all. We use Omnicell and just do a lot of stocking, packaging, order input, discharge meds and ordering. So needless to say, I got an exam with a lot of math. It was very tough for me.

I would really say study hard and have a good understanding of law, basic calculations and generic/trades and their uses. Good luck everyone! I am hoping to spend some more time working on calculation stuff before I try it again.

unwell29 in Troy, New York

77 months ago

Joe in La Grange, Illinois said: This is a very helpful site! I'm about half way through my tech course at the college. People have told me you don't really need it but it is interesting. I would like to become a chemotherapy tech. I'm aiming at getting experience at a hospital pharmacy first. Does anyone believe that you can build a career from being a pharm tech?
I would love to hear your comments!

I think it all depends on where you choose to work. I hear that the pay is better at hospitals.

77 months ago

ToneeCal said: So all 200 Generic/Trade Names are on there huh?[/QUOT

The questions are very random. Mine for example had alot of hospital, iv and calculation questions. Whereas someone elses may have more generic/brand and sig questions. They do this so noone can cheat.

77 months ago

Tam in Belleville, Illinois said: Hey ML! I used The Pharmacy Technician 3rd edition by American Pharmacists Association. Complete Math Review for the Pharmacy Technician, William Hopkins, Jr., also by the APhA. Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review by Patricia K. Anthony. Hope this helps you ML. The test wasn't extremely difficult, but it wasn't a cake walk either. My particular test was probably an equal measure of all things (math, brand/generic names/general pharm. info.)You can do it, especially if you give yourself some time to study for it.

I agree. These books are the ones i used to study and pass the exam with also.

Brett in Portland, Oregon

77 months ago

I am taking the exam tomorrow and I would say I am pretty much an expert at the math and good with the signa, the other stuff I am 50/50. Do you think I will be set with that info to pass?

CPHT in Catskill, New York

77 months ago

Brett in Portland, Oregon said: I am taking the exam tomorrow and I would say I am pretty much an expert at the math and good with the signa, the other stuff I am 50/50. Do you think I will be set with that info to pass?

Its difficult to say, the test is so random..let us know how you did!!

77 months ago

Does anyone know how long it takes to get certified by your State Board of Pharmacy once you send in the application? I want to get certified in Missouri, and they want you to go get fingerprinted, submit to a background check, and send in a photo about the size of a passport. Wow!!!!! All that's about another hundred bucks!!!!!

Brett in Portland, Oregon

77 months ago

So I took the test on Wednesday and at the end of the test the sheet I got said Pass, but I have been looking around and people have said this is not official. Any insight onto what the Pass means at the end of the test? Has anyone ever recieved the Pass message and then got their scores saying they didnt pass?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Brett in Portland, Oregon said: So I took the test on Wednesday and at the end of the test the sheet I got said Pass, but I have been looking around and people have said this is not official. Any insight onto what the Pass means at the end of the test? Has anyone ever recieved the Pass message and then got their scores saying they didnt pass?

The folks at PearsonVue said that the results at the end of the test are official. You just have to wait to get the official score/results in the mail. But if it said that you passed, you did pass. Don't ask around too much. You tend to get the wrong information, especially if it was not someone at the testing center.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HASMIK in Astoria, New York

77 months ago

I GAVE MY TEST ON JANUARY 9 IS IT POSSIBLE TO FIND THE RESULTS, ALSO I DIDNT PUT ANY PASWORD. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

cali in San Leandro, California

77 months ago

unwell29 in Clifton Park, New York said: No. You dont need to attend a training School..and you can get the books from your local bookstore..ie..barnes and noble.

Thank you, I have ordered some books from online, and study them through. I cannot afford to attend a training school! Thank you again and Happy new year!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

rmg89 in Chula Vista, California

77 months ago

I had just taken the test on January 5th and I'm waiting very "paitently" for my scores. But On the end of my test I also got the message that said results:pass.. Are you certain that that means you passed. I know my results come soon but I need to know!!! It's frusterating me because I'm planning on moving soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sir SPAMALOT in Tucson, Arizona

77 months ago

I recently took the exam and have a few comments for y'all:

As you probably know, not everyone takes the same test. YOUR test may be vastly different than mine. Having said that, I memorized the info on the top 200 drugs and this helped me directly or indirectly answer many questions. I probably could have still passed without knowing this info but it helped immensely. Math related questions were about a third of my test. Easy for me but not for everyone. These can be answered using ratio/proportion and a little common sense. Know your drug schedules. Know your sig abbreviations and how to read a script (critical!). Know your weight and volume conversions (critical!). I had very few pharm law questions, a few IV calcs, one or two business math questions, a few general disease related questions, and a handful of miscellaneous/random/oddball questions. All in all not an impossibly difficult test. The most frustrating part is the open ended nature of the exam. They can (and do) pull questions from many different topics. It's not like you can master the info from one text and have everything you need to know to ace the test. It can certainly be passed without spending 2 years in pharm tech school but I don't think I would have passed without studying (see below).

I've had no formal or informal training or work experience in the pharmacy field. I self studied for about 5 weeks using Mosby's Review for the PTCB. I recommend Mosby's; it looks like there is a new edition coming out in April of 2009. The test questions in the book provided some pretty good review of the math stuff. I studied using a few other references I found used locally. Most notable: Dosage Calculations by Gloria Pickar - it's designed for nurses and had more (much more) info than needed but I recommend it for you math phobics out there. In regards to the top 200 drugs (info available on the internet), create your own list in Excel grouped together by therapeutic class.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

x0x0x0 in Houston, Texas

77 months ago

hi everyone
i just took mine today, and i got the paper right after completing my test, saying i failed ..so i guess that's the result lol. Oh well i'll try again next time. Study hard for those who will take it!! good luck!

MUKEEM in Houston, Texas

77 months ago

i know how it fell when u failed coz i failed too but they didnt give me any paper i m IN houston and i took test ON 19 december. i think its a new thing thAT THEY DO GIVE U PAPER.

cauliflower in Burlington, Vermont

77 months ago

i took the test on 8th jan 09 and in the end of exam it says i passed. first of all i didnt expect that i would know the result straight away after i finish the exam.i got the print out from pearson of my result that i passed and i will get my score mailed out or online after 23rd jan 09. i m still waiting for the mail to come at my home. is anyone here taken exam in the first or secong week of jan and received the score?
i m pretty desperate now, as it has been 5 days over they said i will receive in mail.

thanks to all

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nicol in San Leandro, California

77 months ago

I took my test on Jan7th and am still waiting for me score and Certificate, I just moved back to Cali and need to get starting on getting registered with California so I can start working...been checking everyday still no mail!

Mwee in Los Altos, California

77 months ago

I passed without bothering to know any of the drug names. I just banked on the math questions which was easy. I notice the test have some egregious errors and was written very sloppily. Hope I can find a job now but I fear there's already too many pharm techs out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nicol in San Leandro, California

77 months ago

I have a job interview already!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lizbeth26 in Houston, Texas

77 months ago

is it hard

ToneeCal in Carleton, Michigan

77 months ago

Crazy Hard.Great Luck Everyone!

77 months ago

everything is hard

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Choricoboy in Arlington, Texas

76 months ago

I'm sure glad to be done taking the test. To be honest, I didn't have very much high hopes as I was taking it... there were ( if not most ) some really tough questions.. but with discipline and prayer, I made it. To those taking the tests, I suggest getting a lab/technical workbook... It's got enough practice exercises to familiarize one with the computations/calculations, HIPAA rules, and many more.. Good luck to everyone who are preparing and sitting in for the test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nikkis-Mom in Fargo, North Dakota

76 months ago

Just a quick question: is there any book that is particularly good for helping study for the math part of the PTCE? I have the LWW book (by Barbara Lacher) and it's absolutely full of errors so I'm looking for something else. Thanks in advance!

76 months ago

Thank you, Sir Spamalot! I just saw your recommendation for "Dosage Calculations by Gloria Pickar" and your other suggestions which I'm going to take. Anybody have any other math-related books that would be good to use in studying for the PTCE? ANY help is appreciated. :)

I'm in school for this stuff right now and I can't wholeheartedly recommend my program (so I'm not going to include it here - best to say nothing and all that). Problem is that in ND you have to get some kind of education or they won't register you at the state board of Pharmacy (except as in-training and they expect you to get the sheepskin within a couple years).

76 months ago

I used the Pharmacy Tech review material from mosby and for practice tests, I used the Pharmacy Practice for technicians workbook by Don A. Ballington and Robert J. Anderson. :) but there are plenty of other materials.. you could browse through amazon for one. just be sure to read the reviews/feedbacks on the books.. especially, check for comments on irregularities or frequencies of misprinted infos. Good Luck.

76 months ago

Choricoboy in Arlington, Texas said: I used the Pharmacy Tech review material from mosby and for practice tests, I used the Pharmacy Practice for technicians workbook by Don A. Ballington and Robert J. Anderson. :) but there are plenty of other materials.. you could browse through amazon for one. just be sure to read the reviews/feedbacks on the books.. especially, check for comments on irregularities or frequencies of misprinted infos. Good Luck.

Thanks, Choricoboy. I have been looking at Amazon and some of the professional organization sites but either the books didn't have reviews yet, had a lot of errors, or they were more than 2 years old which makes me think they're not very useful in the drugs and laws depts. I'm good at memorization but not so good at math so that's the kind of book I'm really looking for a recommendation on.

I'm also thinking I might take a chance on the Mosby book (a new edition -- coming out soon, I hope!) and the workbook you mention because I already have the Ballington book. Too bad our prof. didn't happen to recommend the workbook or mention it existed! But she's another depressing story... Thanks again!

mysilver1 in Palm Beach, Florida

76 months ago

How can someone be working in a pharmacy w/o being certified? I called around and people say you have to first pass the test. I really want this! I am going to go to Barnes and Noble and buy the Mosby's Pharmacy Technician Book w/ CD ROM. I hear that one is a good one! I don't have the experience, I was told I could apply in Publix, or other supermarkets through their computer when I pass my Exam. This is a good career choice for me b/c I don't have to go to school for this. They do all the training on job site! If I do need school, it's only 20 hours or more. I just called Publix and Winn-dixie Pharmacy and they both told me this exact information.
Is the test hard? 100 questions, 2 hours does not sound bad. The majority of the comments on this page where passing scores. I hope I am the same. Does anyone know the price here in FL for the PTCB?
I heard 25.00 and 95.00 which is right?

76 months ago

if you're pertaining to the exam fee then its $129. You can go the the ptcb website which I believe is www.ptcb.org and register to take the test. you'll be getting a permit from them and only then can you call a pearsonvue testing center for scheduling. and yeah, it's a 90 question exam that covers everything. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

what about houston texas how much is the test

MARIA in Santa Monica, California

76 months ago

Hi ,

Does anybody have taken the test in California - LA ?
Please tell me something more about the test?
Can I take it without going to shcool?

Thank you for yor time !

76 months ago

The test is given only by one organization ( PTCB ). The fee is the same throughout all the states. Pearsonvue/Prometric provides the venue and computer for conducting tests. hope this helps.

76 months ago

yes you can take the test even without going to school but the problem with this is the issue on finding an employer/company that would hire you. Most employers/companies prefer people who are certified as well as trained either in a school or has had year/s of experience. If you're just certified, through self-study or what, you may experience landing a job..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

experience difficulty, that is..

vinu in Torrance, California

76 months ago

ya,i took the test in dec & i passed..

76 months ago

Choricoboy in Arlington, Texas said: yes you can take the test even without going to school but the problem with this is the issue on finding an employer/company that would hire you. Most employers/companies prefer people who are certified as well as trained either in a school or has had year/s of experience. If you're just certified, through self-study or what, you may experience landing a job..

This is not true!! There are many pharmacies that will hire you without any traing at all!! Walmart and Cvs train you on the job to be a pharmacy tech. Cvs pays for you to take the test after you have been employed with them for 6 months!!

76 months ago

vinu in Torrance, California said: ya,i took the test in dec & i passed..

Congrats!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

What I'm saying is not necessarily true for everybody nor elsewhere... All I'm saying is that given the current economic situation right now, it is HARD to find a job hiring.. and even if there are hirings, most likely, people with experience are to be hired. My suggestion is, apply for any position ( like a clerk ) in a pharmacy or any retail, then apply for a transfer if an opening comes up.. atleast you get to work and earn money while you wait for the opportunity. good luck.

76 months ago

oh, and congratulations to those who just passed the exam. :)

only1jellybeanz in Acton, Massachusetts

76 months ago

CPHT in Catskill, New York said: This is not true!! There are many pharmacies that will hire you without any traing at all!! Walmart and Cvs train you on the job to be a pharmacy tech. Cvs pays for you to take the test after you have been employed with them for 6 months!!

Much agreed! CVS hired me when I was a senior in high school! Of course I was 18, and sine then I have worked for 2 different CVS' and for Walmart Pharmacy in Louisiana. Both companies helped me get my state licenses and I am currently in the process of getting my national certification through CVS. Don't ever let anyone tell you that no one will hire you because you aren't licensed. That's a load of crap. There are companies out there, you just have to ask! :)

MARIA in Santa Monica, California

76 months ago

Well , I am in California .They all ask for license .

Does anyone has the practice test from www.ptcb.org and want to share with us?I know it is not a typical question ,but .....please help.It is going to be very helpful for many of us!

76 months ago

only1jellybeanz in Acton, Massachusetts said: Much agreed! CVS hired me when I was a senior in high school! Of course I was 18, and sine then I have worked for 2 different CVS' and for Walmart Pharmacy in Louisiana. Both companies helped me get my state licenses and I am currently in the process of getting my national certification through CVS. Don't ever let anyone tell you that no one will hire you because you aren't licensed. That's a load of crap. There are companies out there, you just have to ask! :)

How do you get your State license??...

lizbeth diaz in Houston, Texas

76 months ago

how do you get the state license

pharmdr05 in Hicksville, New York

75 months ago

Hello folks,
I took the PTCE on March 16th in NY. At the end of the exam the result showed up as PASS. My experience with exam is: enjoyed calculations: ratios, %'s, fractions and IV drops. enjoyed playing around with brand / generic names, uses and effects. So my advice is stay cool, focus and understand what they ask. Enjoy the game.
Feel great about yourself at the end of the exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

IS IT BETTER TO GO TO SCHOOL TO STUDY FOR THE EXAM OR STUDY AT HOME

75 months ago

x0x0x0 in Houston, Texas said: hi everyone
i just took mine today, and i got the paper right after completing my test, saying i failed ..so i guess that's the result lol. Oh well i'll try again next time. Study hard for those who will take it!! good luck!

YOU SHOULD GO TO SCHOOL

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.