Crazy Hard.Great Luck Everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

lizbeth26 in Houston, Texas

67 months ago

everything is hard

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Choricoboy in Arlington, Texas

67 months ago

I'm sure glad to be done taking the test. To be honest, I didn't have very much high hopes as I was taking it... there were ( if not most ) some really tough questions.. but with discipline and prayer, I made it. To those taking the tests, I suggest getting a lab/technical workbook... It's got enough practice exercises to familiarize one with the computations/calculations, HIPAA rules, and many more.. Good luck to everyone who are preparing and sitting in for the test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nikkis-Mom in Fargo, North Dakota

67 months ago

Just a quick question: is there any book that is particularly good for helping study for the math part of the PTCE? I have the LWW book (by Barbara Lacher) and it's absolutely full of errors so I'm looking for something else. Thanks in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Thank you, Sir Spamalot! I just saw your recommendation for "Dosage Calculations by Gloria Pickar" and your other suggestions which I'm going to take. Anybody have any other math-related books that would be good to use in studying for the PTCE? ANY help is appreciated. :)

I'm in school for this stuff right now and I can't wholeheartedly recommend my program (so I'm not going to include it here - best to say nothing and all that). Problem is that in ND you have to get some kind of education or they won't register you at the state board of Pharmacy (except as in-training and they expect you to get the sheepskin within a couple years).

67 months ago

I used the Pharmacy Tech review material from mosby and for practice tests, I used the Pharmacy Practice for technicians workbook by Don A. Ballington and Robert J. Anderson. :) but there are plenty of other materials.. you could browse through amazon for one. just be sure to read the reviews/feedbacks on the books.. especially, check for comments on irregularities or frequencies of misprinted infos. Good Luck.

67 months ago

Choricoboy in Arlington, Texas said: I used the Pharmacy Tech review material from mosby and for practice tests, I used the Pharmacy Practice for technicians workbook by Don A. Ballington and Robert J. Anderson. :) but there are plenty of other materials.. you could browse through amazon for one. just be sure to read the reviews/feedbacks on the books.. especially, check for comments on irregularities or frequencies of misprinted infos. Good Luck.

Thanks, Choricoboy. I have been looking at Amazon and some of the professional organization sites but either the books didn't have reviews yet, had a lot of errors, or they were more than 2 years old which makes me think they're not very useful in the drugs and laws depts. I'm good at memorization but not so good at math so that's the kind of book I'm really looking for a recommendation on.

I'm also thinking I might take a chance on the Mosby book (a new edition -- coming out soon, I hope!) and the workbook you mention because I already have the Ballington book. Too bad our prof. didn't happen to recommend the workbook or mention it existed! But she's another depressing story... Thanks again!

mysilver1 in Palm Beach, Florida

67 months ago

How can someone be working in a pharmacy w/o being certified? I called around and people say you have to first pass the test. I really want this! I am going to go to Barnes and Noble and buy the Mosby's Pharmacy Technician Book w/ CD ROM. I hear that one is a good one! I don't have the experience, I was told I could apply in Publix, or other supermarkets through their computer when I pass my Exam. This is a good career choice for me b/c I don't have to go to school for this. They do all the training on job site! If I do need school, it's only 20 hours or more. I just called Publix and Winn-dixie Pharmacy and they both told me this exact information.
Is the test hard? 100 questions, 2 hours does not sound bad. The majority of the comments on this page where passing scores. I hope I am the same. Does anyone know the price here in FL for the PTCB?
I heard 25.00 and 95.00 which is right?

67 months ago

if you're pertaining to the exam fee then its $129. You can go the the ptcb website which I believe is www.ptcb.org and register to take the test. you'll be getting a permit from them and only then can you call a pearsonvue testing center for scheduling. and yeah, it's a 90 question exam that covers everything. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lizbeth26 in Houston, Texas

67 months ago

what about houston texas how much is the test

MARIA in Santa Monica, California

67 months ago

Hi ,

Does anybody have taken the test in California - LA ?
Please tell me something more about the test?
Can I take it without going to shcool?

Thank you for yor time !

67 months ago

The test is given only by one organization ( PTCB ). The fee is the same throughout all the states. Pearsonvue/Prometric provides the venue and computer for conducting tests. hope this helps.

67 months ago

yes you can take the test even without going to school but the problem with this is the issue on finding an employer/company that would hire you. Most employers/companies prefer people who are certified as well as trained either in a school or has had year/s of experience. If you're just certified, through self-study or what, you may experience landing a job..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

experience difficulty, that is..

vinu in Torrance, California

67 months ago

ya,i took the test in dec & i passed..

CPHT in Catskill, New York

67 months ago

Choricoboy in Arlington, Texas said: yes you can take the test even without going to school but the problem with this is the issue on finding an employer/company that would hire you. Most employers/companies prefer people who are certified as well as trained either in a school or has had year/s of experience. If you're just certified, through self-study or what, you may experience landing a job..

This is not true!! There are many pharmacies that will hire you without any traing at all!! Walmart and Cvs train you on the job to be a pharmacy tech. Cvs pays for you to take the test after you have been employed with them for 6 months!!

67 months ago

vinu in Torrance, California said: ya,i took the test in dec & i passed..

Congrats!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

What I'm saying is not necessarily true for everybody nor elsewhere... All I'm saying is that given the current economic situation right now, it is HARD to find a job hiring.. and even if there are hirings, most likely, people with experience are to be hired. My suggestion is, apply for any position ( like a clerk ) in a pharmacy or any retail, then apply for a transfer if an opening comes up.. atleast you get to work and earn money while you wait for the opportunity. good luck.

67 months ago

oh, and congratulations to those who just passed the exam. :)

only1jellybeanz in Acton, Massachusetts

66 months ago

CPHT in Catskill, New York said: This is not true!! There are many pharmacies that will hire you without any traing at all!! Walmart and Cvs train you on the job to be a pharmacy tech. Cvs pays for you to take the test after you have been employed with them for 6 months!!

Much agreed! CVS hired me when I was a senior in high school! Of course I was 18, and sine then I have worked for 2 different CVS' and for Walmart Pharmacy in Louisiana. Both companies helped me get my state licenses and I am currently in the process of getting my national certification through CVS. Don't ever let anyone tell you that no one will hire you because you aren't licensed. That's a load of crap. There are companies out there, you just have to ask! :)

66 months ago

Well , I am in California .They all ask for license .

Does anyone has the practice test from www.ptcb.org and want to share with us?I know it is not a typical question ,but .....please help.It is going to be very helpful for many of us!

66 months ago

only1jellybeanz in Acton, Massachusetts said: Much agreed! CVS hired me when I was a senior in high school! Of course I was 18, and sine then I have worked for 2 different CVS' and for Walmart Pharmacy in Louisiana. Both companies helped me get my state licenses and I am currently in the process of getting my national certification through CVS. Don't ever let anyone tell you that no one will hire you because you aren't licensed. That's a load of crap. There are companies out there, you just have to ask! :)

How do you get your State license??...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

lizbeth diaz in Houston, Texas

66 months ago

how do you get the state license

pharmdr05 in Hicksville, New York

65 months ago

Hello folks,
I took the PTCE on March 16th in NY. At the end of the exam the result showed up as PASS. My experience with exam is: enjoyed calculations: ratios, %'s, fractions and IV drops. enjoyed playing around with brand / generic names, uses and effects. So my advice is stay cool, focus and understand what they ask. Enjoy the game.
Feel great about yourself at the end of the exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

IS IT BETTER TO GO TO SCHOOL TO STUDY FOR THE EXAM OR STUDY AT HOME

65 months ago

x0x0x0 in Houston, Texas said: hi everyone
i just took mine today, and i got the paper right after completing my test, saying i failed ..so i guess that's the result lol. Oh well i'll try again next time. Study hard for those who will take it!! good luck!

YOU SHOULD GO TO SCHOOL

65 months ago

Tell us your secret.What book did you use.How do you learn all 200 drugs.
Tell us something more about the test.

65 months ago

Vee in Apopka, Florida said: If u do good practicing the book, u'll do excellent in the test. books are overbearing but r really helpful. Focus on Math, conversions, Sigcodes, brand-generics and u'll be fine.

What is sigcodes ?

tombisana in Morrow, Georgia

65 months ago

mimi said: I failed the test the first time, but i am going to take it again. Has anyone taking the new computer test that out now? I felt bad about failing because i have been working as a technician for a long time, but i am not good at taking tests.

Make sure you study the dosage calculations and know your laws. Each test is different andyou have no way of knowing what to study. I have found that most students that take the test find it to be math and the laws set forth for Pharmacy. I commend you for not getting discourage. Take it as many times as you have to until you past. Remember, you are looking for a career not a job! Persistanca and perserverance is the key. I wish you all the best.

tombisana in Morrow, Georgia

65 months ago

lizbeth26 in Houston, Texas said: is it hard

The test is only hard if you do not study. You must be consistant and study alittle each day even if it is for 15-20 min. Calculations, laws are normally some where in the test. Get you a ceritfication review book and go through it from beginning to end. PTCB also makes a disk in the back of the book (Mosby) that is excellent. All of my students use it, and everyone of them has passed there test. Good Luck.

peggy47 in Klamath Falls, Oregon

65 months ago

lizbeth diaz in Houston, Texas said: YOU SHOULD GO TO SCHOOL

Yes! go to school. You can get alot of information and knowledge, like medical terminology, Ethics, pharmacy tech classes, math that is used in calculations and compounds used for pharmacy procedures, pharmacy laws, medical billing and much more. This will open many doors for you.

jmsegars in Houston, Texas

65 months ago

I'm in undergrad getting a BS in biochemistry-I've had ethics and medical terminology. Will I be okay if I don't go to school that specifically pharm tech?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

peggy47 in Klamath Falls, Oregon

65 months ago

You do have to take tech class's to get your AA, and get a tech lisence online before you can go into any kind of Pharmacy tech work, Unless you want to be a cashier in a pharmacy and wait forever to move up to a tech position, and still have to pass the exam within six month to move into a tech position. So you might as well go online get the book study hard, take the test and work as a pharmacy tech while going to school. Pharmacy tech's are well paid and have many benifits. I am going to a University program that offers all of the class's to become a Pharmacy Manager. However, each state has a tech lisence you have to aquire on your own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tombisana@yahoo.com in Morrow, Georgia

65 months ago

Yes, you would probably be a prime candidate for a nuclear tech.

mridula in Marysville, Washington

65 months ago

Lynx in Okeechobee, Florida said: I got my result day before yesterday..on the website it just tells u pass or fail. The detailed results and score is sent to u at ur mailing address. It wont take 3 weeks for the results. I took the test on 11th and on 27th, I got the result on the website but havent got the score yet......

please let me know my score in my ptcb exam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

i passed the ptcb exam on 4 march 2009 but idid not get my mail yet. please let me know how many many days will it take ? and please let me know my test score.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

please let me know my ptcb test score. i took the test on march 4 2009. thanks.

la-di-da in Redlands, California

65 months ago

I'm planning on taking this test too. I have a BA in Biology, minored in Chemistry, and I currently work as a science lab assistant. I'm going to get that Mosby book this week and start studying. I would like to know some tips too for taking this test for the first time.

Also, I am also looking for pharm tech jobs. So far the ones I see require a certificate of some sort :(

Peggy 47 in Klamath Falls, Oregon

65 months ago

Tam in Belleville, Illinois said: Does anyone know how long it takes to get certified by your State Board of Pharmacy once you send in the application? I want to get certified in Missouri, and they want you to go get fingerprinted, submit to a background check, and send in a photo about the size of a passport. Wow!!!!! All that's about another hundred bucks!!!!!

Hey Tam! you can go to your DMV and get a passport or ID for $15.00. It only takes about one week to get it in the mail.
Hope this helped.

SFpharmTech in San Francisco, California

65 months ago

jmsegars in Houston, Texas said: I am taking the PTCE for the first time in April and was wondering if anyone had figured out a more efficient way of learning the 200 drugs brand names and generic names besides flashcards?
I'm taking practice exams and passing (but not as much as I would like lol).
Does anyone have ANY tips for a first time PTCE test taker?
Thank you so much

***TIP: It may be easier/faster then learning ALL 200 drug brands + 200 generics.
To learn the the 'stems'(about 60)of the drug classifications.
That was helpful in answering questions on PTCE EXAM,
with process of elimination.
I studied the APhA book: "The Pharmacy Technician" very comprehensive.
they also have the matching "Exam Certification Review".

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

i follow Jesus only in Bryan, Texas

65 months ago

felice colbert in Nashville, Tennessee said: Hey, I went 2 Barnes & Noble book store, and purchased the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review Second Edition by Patricia K. Anthony with Delmar Learnings..Hope this helps. I took the test 27 May 2008 and received my results 13 June 2008!! I PASSED! I feel as though the book was pretty thorough with each problem , even the dosing calculations, and aligations, law etc. Hey, I wasn't an A student in Math when I attended school almost 27 years ago, the book was an excellent tool, i studied very hard and it payed off, I PASSED!!

those are the 2 books i studied from & i passed the test which was on 03/28/09..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

deanna delva in Schertz, Texas

65 months ago

im about to take it and i think im ready.

gumnutnonuts in Austin, Texas

65 months ago

peggy47 in Klamath Falls, Oregon said: You do have to take tech class's to get your AA, and get a tech lisence online before you can go into any kind of Pharmacy tech work, Unless you want to be a cashier in a pharmacy and wait forever to move up to a tech position, and still have to pass the exam within six month to move into a tech position. So you might as well go online get the book study hard, take the test and work as a pharmacy tech while going to school. Pharmacy tech's are well paid and have many benifits. I am going to a University program that offers all of the class's to become a Pharmacy Manager. However, each state has a tech lisence you have to aquire on your own.

What are you talking about...? I took the exam and passed it. Know how I did it? I studied 2 hours before the exam through some CD with practice problems I borrowed from my school, UTexas. I don't know ANY pre-pharm student who needed to take a pharm tech class to get a pharm tech job. Study hard? I literally waited until 3 hours before my test to study, and 1 of those hours was driving to the test location. It really depends on your education background. I'm a pre-pharm student who took med terms and I'm awesome at math conversions. That's all you really need. Math conversions and reading prescriptions. You can completely guess on everything else and probably still pass, which is what I did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

gumnutnonuts in Austin, Texas said: What are you talking about...? I took the exam and passed it. Know how I did it? I studied 2 hours before the exam through some CD with practice problems I borrowed from my school, UTexas. I don't know ANY pre-pharm student who needed to take a pharm tech class to get a pharm tech job. Study hard? I literally waited until 3 hours before my test to study, and 1 of those hours was driving to the test location. It really depends on your education background. I'm a pre-pharm student who took med terms and I'm awesome at math conversions. That's all you really need. Math conversions and reading prescriptions. You can completely guess on everything else and probably still pass, which is what I did.

The requirements vary state by state. Some states don't require anything but registration - a fee and you put your name, address, and place of work on a list. Some states require a degree, and others require passing the PTCE. Some want a combination of these. You have to find out by contacting your state board of pharmacy. I'm guessing that they all have at least contact info on the Web if not full web sites. Get with your state board of pharmacy to find out requirements!

65 months ago

mridula in Marysville, Washington said: please let me know my ptcb test score. i took the test on march 4 2009. thanks.

I'm hoping someone has already let you know that you need something other than this forum to get your test score. I'm sorry if it's duplication and I hope you did well! I actually don't know specifically who you need to contact but I did find this link at the PTCB website for checking your test score online:
www.proexam.org/ptcb/

(I hope the forum allows me to post the url.) Good luck!

Dave in Hialeah, Florida

65 months ago

Hi everybody. I'm scheduled to take the PTCB exam 5/2/09 and I've been using a book that doesn't seem to be quite popular among many users here. It's from the APhA and it's called "Complete Review for the Pharmacy Technician" 2nd Edition by L.Michael Posey. I've learned quite a lot about law, history, class 1, 2, 3, DEA #s and such...which to me so far seems to be great...I'm learning a lot and I have heard that law is important to know for the test, and the brands-generics as well. But the problem I think with this book is the lack of math problems(since the majority of the test is math)...there is only 42 math problems in here covering:
Ratio & Proportion, Metric Measures, Percentage calculations, Ratio strengths, temperature conversion, and household equivalents(ie.5ml = 1 tsp)

So right now my math outline(which is just covering that material from the book I'm studying. I have no clue what allegations, and flow rate problems are... :(

But as for the rest of my outline guide I think I feel pretty good about the prefixes and suffixes, as well as the sig abbreviations such as bid and ac.

Any recommendations as I prepare for this exam? And is anybody else using the same book? I feel like I'm the only one using it...and I really wish I could try more math problems out. I'm considering on picking up "Pharmacy Technician Certification Quick-Study Guide" 3rd Edition, APhA, by Susan Moss and Willam A. Hopkins, Jr.

Sorry for the long post...thanks everybody who reads this. I'll get back A.S.A.P :)

peggymunoz47 in Klamath Falls, Oregon

65 months ago

I question to math in Pharmacy you can go on ebay and get a MW2PDF (PTCB Math Workbook For Pharmacy Tecnicians II) folder book on line for only $8.50 no ship because it is a pbf folder that you down load. Which is great because you can print it out or just use it on you computer. Here is the author and the link. Check it out it has helped me a lot and has every problem you will encounter.
Dawn LaLiberte (dawn.laliberte@cox.net)

Dave in Miami, Florida

65 months ago

Honestly this looks like a pretty promising book Peggy, I think I'm going to give it a shot, and it's only $8.50 as well which is a bargain compared to the other book that I was thinking about picking up as mentioned before. Quick question though...how many pages is this math study guide pdf file? And has anybody else tried this study guide out? Looks really good after reading up on it on the Ebay webpage for it.

MARIA in Los Angeles, California

65 months ago

Hi,
Somebody has mention that we can learn only the 'stems'(about 60)of the drug classifications.

Where do we can find "stems" ?

Is out there a chart of these drugs or do these "stems" vary from person to person(what a mean it is a person consideration).

Miss V in Dedham, Massachusetts

65 months ago

Guys,

Go to www.freemedicalebooks.net and look for "ESSENTIAL MATH AND CALCULATIONS FOR PHARMACY TECHNICIANS" you can download this book for free. Just click on the free download link. Hope this info will help someone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.