PTCB EXAM RESULTS...along with a question

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 1133)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

MARIA in Santa Monica, California

77 months ago

Vee in Apopka, Florida said: If u do good practicing the book, u'll do excellent in the test. books are overbearing but r really helpful. Focus on Math, conversions, Sigcodes, brand-generics and u'll be fine.

What is sigcodes ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

tombisana in Morrow, Georgia

77 months ago

mimi said: I failed the test the first time, but i am going to take it again. Has anyone taking the new computer test that out now? I felt bad about failing because i have been working as a technician for a long time, but i am not good at taking tests.

Make sure you study the dosage calculations and know your laws. Each test is different andyou have no way of knowing what to study. I have found that most students that take the test find it to be math and the laws set forth for Pharmacy. I commend you for not getting discourage. Take it as many times as you have to until you past. Remember, you are looking for a career not a job! Persistanca and perserverance is the key. I wish you all the best.

tombisana in Morrow, Georgia

77 months ago

lizbeth26 in Houston, Texas said: is it hard

The test is only hard if you do not study. You must be consistant and study alittle each day even if it is for 15-20 min. Calculations, laws are normally some where in the test. Get you a ceritfication review book and go through it from beginning to end. PTCB also makes a disk in the back of the book (Mosby) that is excellent. All of my students use it, and everyone of them has passed there test. Good Luck.

peggy47 in Klamath Falls, Oregon

77 months ago

lizbeth diaz in Houston, Texas said: YOU SHOULD GO TO SCHOOL

Yes! go to school. You can get alot of information and knowledge, like medical terminology, Ethics, pharmacy tech classes, math that is used in calculations and compounds used for pharmacy procedures, pharmacy laws, medical billing and much more. This will open many doors for you.

jmsegars in Houston, Texas

77 months ago

I'm in undergrad getting a BS in biochemistry-I've had ethics and medical terminology. Will I be okay if I don't go to school that specifically pharm tech?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

peggy47 in Klamath Falls, Oregon

77 months ago

You do have to take tech class's to get your AA, and get a tech lisence online before you can go into any kind of Pharmacy tech work, Unless you want to be a cashier in a pharmacy and wait forever to move up to a tech position, and still have to pass the exam within six month to move into a tech position. So you might as well go online get the book study hard, take the test and work as a pharmacy tech while going to school. Pharmacy tech's are well paid and have many benifits. I am going to a University program that offers all of the class's to become a Pharmacy Manager. However, each state has a tech lisence you have to aquire on your own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tombisana@yahoo.com in Morrow, Georgia

77 months ago

Yes, you would probably be a prime candidate for a nuclear tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mridula in Marysville, Washington

77 months ago

Lynx in Okeechobee, Florida said: I got my result day before yesterday..on the website it just tells u pass or fail. The detailed results and score is sent to u at ur mailing address. It wont take 3 weeks for the results. I took the test on 11th and on 27th, I got the result on the website but havent got the score yet......

please let me know my score in my ptcb exam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

i passed the ptcb exam on 4 march 2009 but idid not get my mail yet. please let me know how many many days will it take ? and please let me know my test score.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

please let me know my ptcb test score. i took the test on march 4 2009. thanks.

la-di-da in Redlands, California

77 months ago

I'm planning on taking this test too. I have a BA in Biology, minored in Chemistry, and I currently work as a science lab assistant. I'm going to get that Mosby book this week and start studying. I would like to know some tips too for taking this test for the first time.

Also, I am also looking for pharm tech jobs. So far the ones I see require a certificate of some sort :(

Peggy 47 in Klamath Falls, Oregon

77 months ago

Tam in Belleville, Illinois said: Does anyone know how long it takes to get certified by your State Board of Pharmacy once you send in the application? I want to get certified in Missouri, and they want you to go get fingerprinted, submit to a background check, and send in a photo about the size of a passport. Wow!!!!! All that's about another hundred bucks!!!!!

Hey Tam! you can go to your DMV and get a passport or ID for $15.00. It only takes about one week to get it in the mail.
Hope this helped.

SFpharmTech in San Francisco, California

77 months ago

jmsegars in Houston, Texas said: I am taking the PTCE for the first time in April and was wondering if anyone had figured out a more efficient way of learning the 200 drugs brand names and generic names besides flashcards?
I'm taking practice exams and passing (but not as much as I would like lol).
Does anyone have ANY tips for a first time PTCE test taker?
Thank you so much

***TIP: It may be easier/faster then learning ALL 200 drug brands + 200 generics.
To learn the the 'stems'(about 60)of the drug classifications.
That was helpful in answering questions on PTCE EXAM,
with process of elimination.
I studied the APhA book: "The Pharmacy Technician" very comprehensive.
they also have the matching "Exam Certification Review".

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

i follow Jesus only in Bryan, Texas

77 months ago

felice colbert in Nashville, Tennessee said: Hey, I went 2 Barnes & Noble book store, and purchased the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review Second Edition by Patricia K. Anthony with Delmar Learnings..Hope this helps. I took the test 27 May 2008 and received my results 13 June 2008!! I PASSED! I feel as though the book was pretty thorough with each problem , even the dosing calculations, and aligations, law etc. Hey, I wasn't an A student in Math when I attended school almost 27 years ago, the book was an excellent tool, i studied very hard and it payed off, I PASSED!!

those are the 2 books i studied from & i passed the test which was on 03/28/09..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

deanna delva in Schertz, Texas

77 months ago

im about to take it and i think im ready.

gumnutnonuts in Austin, Texas

77 months ago

peggy47 in Klamath Falls, Oregon said: You do have to take tech class's to get your AA, and get a tech lisence online before you can go into any kind of Pharmacy tech work, Unless you want to be a cashier in a pharmacy and wait forever to move up to a tech position, and still have to pass the exam within six month to move into a tech position. So you might as well go online get the book study hard, take the test and work as a pharmacy tech while going to school. Pharmacy tech's are well paid and have many benifits. I am going to a University program that offers all of the class's to become a Pharmacy Manager. However, each state has a tech lisence you have to aquire on your own.

What are you talking about...? I took the exam and passed it. Know how I did it? I studied 2 hours before the exam through some CD with practice problems I borrowed from my school, UTexas. I don't know ANY pre-pharm student who needed to take a pharm tech class to get a pharm tech job. Study hard? I literally waited until 3 hours before my test to study, and 1 of those hours was driving to the test location. It really depends on your education background. I'm a pre-pharm student who took med terms and I'm awesome at math conversions. That's all you really need. Math conversions and reading prescriptions. You can completely guess on everything else and probably still pass, which is what I did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nikkis-Mom in Fargo, North Dakota

77 months ago

gumnutnonuts in Austin, Texas said: What are you talking about...? I took the exam and passed it. Know how I did it? I studied 2 hours before the exam through some CD with practice problems I borrowed from my school, UTexas. I don't know ANY pre-pharm student who needed to take a pharm tech class to get a pharm tech job. Study hard? I literally waited until 3 hours before my test to study, and 1 of those hours was driving to the test location. It really depends on your education background. I'm a pre-pharm student who took med terms and I'm awesome at math conversions. That's all you really need. Math conversions and reading prescriptions. You can completely guess on everything else and probably still pass, which is what I did.

The requirements vary state by state. Some states don't require anything but registration - a fee and you put your name, address, and place of work on a list. Some states require a degree, and others require passing the PTCE. Some want a combination of these. You have to find out by contacting your state board of pharmacy. I'm guessing that they all have at least contact info on the Web if not full web sites. Get with your state board of pharmacy to find out requirements!

77 months ago

mridula in Marysville, Washington said: please let me know my ptcb test score. i took the test on march 4 2009. thanks.

I'm hoping someone has already let you know that you need something other than this forum to get your test score. I'm sorry if it's duplication and I hope you did well! I actually don't know specifically who you need to contact but I did find this link at the PTCB website for checking your test score online:
www.proexam.org/ptcb/

(I hope the forum allows me to post the url.) Good luck!

Dave in Hialeah, Florida

76 months ago

Hi everybody. I'm scheduled to take the PTCB exam 5/2/09 and I've been using a book that doesn't seem to be quite popular among many users here. It's from the APhA and it's called "Complete Review for the Pharmacy Technician" 2nd Edition by L.Michael Posey. I've learned quite a lot about law, history, class 1, 2, 3, DEA #s and such...which to me so far seems to be great...I'm learning a lot and I have heard that law is important to know for the test, and the brands-generics as well. But the problem I think with this book is the lack of math problems(since the majority of the test is math)...there is only 42 math problems in here covering:
Ratio & Proportion, Metric Measures, Percentage calculations, Ratio strengths, temperature conversion, and household equivalents(ie.5ml = 1 tsp)

So right now my math outline(which is just covering that material from the book I'm studying. I have no clue what allegations, and flow rate problems are... :(

But as for the rest of my outline guide I think I feel pretty good about the prefixes and suffixes, as well as the sig abbreviations such as bid and ac.

Any recommendations as I prepare for this exam? And is anybody else using the same book? I feel like I'm the only one using it...and I really wish I could try more math problems out. I'm considering on picking up "Pharmacy Technician Certification Quick-Study Guide" 3rd Edition, APhA, by Susan Moss and Willam A. Hopkins, Jr.

Sorry for the long post...thanks everybody who reads this. I'll get back A.S.A.P :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

peggymunoz47 in Klamath Falls, Oregon

76 months ago

I question to math in Pharmacy you can go on ebay and get a MW2PDF (PTCB Math Workbook For Pharmacy Tecnicians II) folder book on line for only $8.50 no ship because it is a pbf folder that you down load. Which is great because you can print it out or just use it on you computer. Here is the author and the link. Check it out it has helped me a lot and has every problem you will encounter.
Dawn LaLiberte (dawn.laliberte@cox.net)

Dave in Miami, Florida

76 months ago

Honestly this looks like a pretty promising book Peggy, I think I'm going to give it a shot, and it's only $8.50 as well which is a bargain compared to the other book that I was thinking about picking up as mentioned before. Quick question though...how many pages is this math study guide pdf file? And has anybody else tried this study guide out? Looks really good after reading up on it on the Ebay webpage for it.

MARIA in Los Angeles, California

76 months ago

Hi,
Somebody has mention that we can learn only the 'stems'(about 60)of the drug classifications.

Where do we can find "stems" ?

Is out there a chart of these drugs or do these "stems" vary from person to person(what a mean it is a person consideration).

Miss V in Dedham, Massachusetts

76 months ago

Guys,

Go to www.freemedicalebooks.net and look for "ESSENTIAL MATH AND CALCULATIONS FOR PHARMACY TECHNICIANS" you can download this book for free. Just click on the free download link. Hope this info will help someone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Hialeah, Florida

76 months ago

I'm looking at the book so far from freemedicalebooks.net and so far I like it a lot from practicing a good hour of math calculations already. Thank you Miss V. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Miss V in Bridgewater, Massachusetts

76 months ago

You are most welcome! That is what we are here for to share and help each other! Dave (and everyone on this forum) I've been trying to download this other book but I'm having a tough time. I think maybe my computer doesn't support the software for this download. The book is called, "Delmar's Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review." Let me know if you are successful with the download and if possible walk me through it or email it to me. These are the steps I took:

(1)Go to: www.medpages.blogspot.com/2009/04/delmars-pharmacy-technician.html

(2) Click on "Download" which is about half way down the page.

(3)it will bring you to a another window and on the very top of the page click on "request download ticket"

(4) Finally, on the very top click "download"

Thanks,

Miss V

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tombisana@yahoo.com in Forest Park, Georgia

76 months ago

Check out the all of the calculation dosage books by Mosby. They have excellent dosge calculation problems in them.

elle812 in Irvine, California

76 months ago

jmsegars in Houston, Texas said: I'm in undergrad getting a BS in biochemistry-I've had ethics and medical terminology. Will I be okay if I don't go to school that specifically pharm tech?

I just took the PTCE a few weeks ago, and I've worked in a pharmacy for about 6 months. I'm also about to graduate from college with a BS in Biological ciences. Honestly, if you know your math, you should do fine on the test. Even if you haven't completely memorized the 200 drugs, you should still be fine. Just know general drugs and what categories they belong to. Also, there might be some law-related questions so just review those. I studied only for a week using Mosby's and I did fine. Just relax, and for those of you who believe you should take a class just for pharm tech, well I passed and I didn't take one at all.

76 months ago

Miss V in Dedham, Massachusetts said: Guys,

Go to www.freemedicalebooks.net and look for "ESSENTIAL MATH AND CALCULATIONS FOR PHARMACY TECHNICIANS" you can download this book for free. Just click on the free download link. Hope this info will help someone.

Yes, Miss V, thanks from me, too. The copyright on the book is from 2005, but I'm thinking that for math practice it might not really matter. For this math-dummy, lots of practice with problems that don't have too many errors is ideal.

76 months ago

elle812 in Irvine, California said: I just took the PTCE a few weeks ago, and I've worked in a pharmacy for about 6 months. I'm also about to graduate from college with a BS in Biological ciences. Honestly, if you know your math, you should do fine on the test. Even if you haven't completely memorized the 200 drugs, you should still be fine. Just know general drugs and what categories they belong to. Also, there might be some law-related questions so just review those. I studied only for a week using Mosby's and I did fine. Just relax, and for those of you who believe you should take a class just for pharm tech, well I passed and I didn't take one at all.

Thanks for the well-meant reassurance but, again, for those of us less confident of our math abilities, the practice with example problems (and their solutions) is a huge help.

Also, you really have to find out what your state board of pharmacy requires in order to work as a pharmacy tech. In some states, you need a degree. (sorry to repeat what I wrote above) The requirements for working as a pharmacy tech totally depend on the laws in the state you live in. In some states you don't even have to take the PTCE or get a degree -- you just have to register with the state board. It all depends on where you live.

Best wishes and thanks again everybody.

76 months ago

MARIA in Los Angeles, California said: Hi,
Somebody has mention that we can learn only the 'stems'(about 60)of the drug classifications.

Where do we can find "stems" ?

Is out there a chart of these drugs or do these "stems" vary from person to person(what a mean it is a person consideration).

I think they're talking about the pieces of the words that indicate what classification the drug is from. For example, the "sone" part (suffix) of prednisone makes me think it's a steroid like cortisone. I think these are pointed out in pharmacology textbooks but I don't know if there are lists of them otherwise but if anybody knows where to find such things online....

TechyTech in Portland, Oregon

76 months ago

peggy47 in Klamath Falls, Oregon said: You do have to take tech class's to get your AA, and get a tech lisence online before you can go into any kind of Pharmacy tech work, Unless you want to be a cashier in a pharmacy and wait forever to move up to a tech position, and still have to pass the exam within six month to move into a tech position. So you might as well go online get the book study hard, take the test and work as a pharmacy tech while going to school. Pharmacy tech's are well paid and have many benifits. I am going to a University program that offers all of the class's to become a Pharmacy Manager. However, each state has a tech lisence you have to aquire on your own.

Don't you also have to know how to spell and speak properly as well? You should have learned that before paying for your university program, sorry.

Upt898490 in West Fargo, North Dakota

76 months ago

[sigh] Please, we've been through all this before. People have different approaches to forums: some people are a little anal about their writing (like me though I'm certainly not perfect) and some of us are just trying to get out the basic idea that's in our heads before we have to get on with something else in life. It's just counter-productive to start picking at others' grammar, spelling, and punctuation when that's not the subject of the forum. We all get pulled off onto a completely tangential and distracting track. Even I can tell what Peggy47 is trying to say. Sorry to be negative about your comment but we've been there before -- thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

gathering island in Captain Cook, Hawaii

76 months ago

I am currently attending school for Pharmacy Tech. Is the Cert. Exam really hard? What do I need to study in order to pass the Exam? I am paying a lot of money for school. So I really and hoping to pass the Exam when am done with school. What kind of book do I need to study to prepare me for the Exam?

76 months ago

TechyTech in Portland, Oregon said: Don't you also have to know how to spell and speak properly as well? You should have learned that before paying for your university program, sorry.

I do know how to speak and spell. I did not know you were grading my post! This is an open forum to help people, not criticize them.

Dave in Miami, Florida

76 months ago

Quick question, as I'm starting to prepare for my upcoming PTCE examination in about a week and a couple days did anybody bother actually memorizing all the CPT codes used by pharmacists, and pharmacy techs?

Monique in Moorpark, California

76 months ago

Do you need to have schooling to be a pharmacy tech or can you just take the PTCB and get a job as one?

MARIA in Los Angeles, California

76 months ago

I am through these right now.
You don't need to go to school ,but you have to pass the PTCB exam.
It's difficult to find the work after that,though .Everyone has asked for formal training and experience.

www.sac.edu/faculty_staff/academic_progs/departments/pharmacy/board.htm

76 months ago

MARIA in Los Angeles, California said: I am through these right now.
You don't need to go to school ,but you have to pass the PTCB exam.
It's difficult to find the work after that,though .Everyone has asked for formal training and experience.

www.sac.edu/faculty_staff/academic_progs/departments/pharmacy/board.htm

Many people in this forum do not believe that even though you have your tech license, most pharmacies want you to have some collage or training. By having completed my AA in pharmacy practice, I was offered many positions. I think this is because in the pharmacy practice program you learn medical terminology, ethics and all the math classes that you will need and more. If you go to indeed jobs site and look at pharmacy tech jobs and read the requirements you will see what kind of qualifications you need. I would also like to add that by having my AA in pharmacy practice, I was offered a higher pay rate.

moe in Fresno, California

76 months ago

i just took this test today. i finished in in 20 min and passed dotn stress this if u study ull be fine, o and the math isnt that bad at all. i thought i would do allegations and stuff and i was ready but the worst thing i did was how many grams of 120ml make 4% of blah blah blah easy stuff

GLORY in Cades, South Carolina

76 months ago

girlygirl in Downers Grove, Illinois said: it sure does! "trust in the Lord with all your heart and LEAN NOT ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING. in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight" Proverbs 3:5
No matter how hard you work for it, if not with the Lord's help, you're not gonna make it. You can say you worked hard your whole life and made it on your own, but behind all that is God helping you through.
anyway, i took mine last week, i'll know if i passed or failed tomorrow. the review books are definitely harder than the test itself.
YES, I AM PREPARING TO TAKE THE PHARMACY TECH EXAM AND I AM PUTTING G0D FIRST BECAUSE THATS WERE MY KNOWLEGDE AND UNDERSTANDING COMES FROM.

Raveena in Oakland, California

75 months ago

My exam is scheduled for next month on the 18th of June. I'm super nervous, especially with 200 brand/generic drug names and their pharmacological uses. Also a bit scared about the calculations. My hubby is a pharmacist, too bad I can't drag him in the test with me. I've got lots of studying from now to then. WISH ME LUCK. And good luck to everyone preparing for the exam as well.

P.S I'm an atheist, I hope I'm not totally screwed.

rosa in Cleveland, Ohio

75 months ago

Raveena in Oakland, California said: My exam is scheduled for next month on the 18th of June. I'm super nervous, especially with 200 brand/generic drug names and their pharmacological uses. Also a bit scared about the calculations. My hubby is a pharmacist, too bad I can't drag him in the test with me. I've got lots of studying from now to then. WISH ME LUCK. And good luck to everyone preparing for the exam as well.

took my exam yesterday aftering studying for the last 3 months trying to get the math problems down--well i was nervous--got there finished the exam in less then an hour--rechecked all the answers--clicked and the computer responded with the word pass--my advice is to stay calm--dont know how to work the problem or now the answer skip that one for the moment and you will have time to go back and do them--you truly will--my exam had a little bit of everything and really nothing that i thought it would--no drug interactions, 1 law, 1 brand generic match up, few math problems, math as far as price costing etc, you will do fine read the question through think and then choose--as far as being an atheist God will still see you through--good luck!

Schroeder 43 in Mesa, Arizona

75 months ago

CPHT in Catskill, New York said: This is not true!! There are many pharmacies that will hire you without any traing at all!! Walmart and Cvs train you on the job to be a pharmacy tech. Cvs pays for you to take the test after you have been employed with them for 6 months!!

depends on where you are. Arizona requires you to have graduated from an accredited program in addition to passing the PTCE to become certified.

75 months ago

Raveena in Oakland, California said: My exam is scheduled for next month on the 18th of June. I'm super nervous, especially with 200 brand/generic drug names and their pharmacological uses. Also a bit scared about the calculations. My hubby is a pharmacist, too bad I can't drag him in the test with me. I've got lots of studying from now to then. WISH ME LUCK. And good luck to everyone preparing for the exam as well.

In life/death or just on the exam?

75 months ago

Hey anyone know if this is a timed test? Can you take as much time as you want?

vichi browny in jackson, Nicaragua

75 months ago

hello , i am vichi , i just want to conclude that formula plays an important roles...
[url="www.fastrealestate.net"]real estate search[/url]

GLORY in Lake City, South Carolina

75 months ago

YES U R RIGHT YOU CAN GET ON THE JOB TRAINING BUT I WENT THROUGH A 16 WEEKS PHARMACY TECH PROGRAM. THANK YOU JESUS I AM NOW CERTIFIED BECAUSE OF YOUR HELP AND I KNOW HE WILL SEND GREAT OPPORTUNITIES MY WAY!

GLORY in Lake City, South Carolina

75 months ago

Schroeder 43 in Mesa, Arizona said: Hey anyone know if this is a timed test? Can you take as much time as you want?

YES IT IS TIME I THINK IT WAS 1HOUR 20MIN

PharmTech1980 in Youngstown, Ohio

75 months ago

Some answers to above posts:
1. ALWAYS check YOUR state regulations before spending any money on training or exams. Know what you need first.
2. If an exam is the only regulation, save your money and forget the expensive course. Buy a good book that contains drug info, law, retail, and calculations (hospital) and STUDY.
3. Take the test and relax. Certification is reported, not your grade.

What I believe employers look for once a certification is achieved is integrity, experience and work ethic.
Integrity! (Always helps to have a letter of recommendation)
Experience varies per the site (retail vs hospital), as retail experience will be needed at most sites for hospital employment. Due to the wide range of tech duties (ADM, automation, IV preps, chemo), brand-generic will be known, thus lessen training time.
Work ethic will be found on past work performance as listed on resume.
Hope this helps.

r0w3la in San Francisco, California

75 months ago

I took my ptcb exam last friday may 15, then after the examination they handed me a piece of paper saying on the middle "result/pass" .. does it mean i passed? and i check my profile on ptcb.org to check if there's result. it's just say under the result tab is the letter "P". pass or pending? so confusing! pls help..

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.