PTCB Exam

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

DBYesYes in New York, New York

7 months ago

Hey guys and gals, I've been given the "Mosby's review For The PTCB Certification Exam" book as a gift to study for the PTCB exam.

I've never taken any courses to become a Pharmacy Tech. Would that book be enough to pass the exam? I also have a Drug Information Pocket Guide.

Thanks a lot!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Seriousaboutthis in Markham, Illinois

7 months ago

Which edition? If it was the second edition, it is relatively still good. Easier to "digest" in my opinion. If you have the third edition, yes you can still use the book but the way the information is presented, you can be easily overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information that they are throwing at you. Honestly with the 3rd edition of the Mosby book, you need to give yourself ample time to study and understand the material before you sit down for the exam. How quickly you pick up the material is entirely up to you. Personally it was okay but I found the math portion a bit lack and confusing to say the least. One example is the alligation medial section. Granted I am not as sharp as I would like but I can easily pick it up but the example they used is so unclear to me. Plus they used a lot of what I called "messy" math. If you are faltering in the math department, I would suggest borrowing the book "Complete Math Review for the Pharmacy Technician" by William A. Hopkins Jr. Any edition will do. And definitely check out your local library if they have any pharmacy tech books but only limit yourself to two books at the most. Anything more is overkill.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

DBYesYes in New York, New York

7 months ago

Seriousaboutthis in Markham, Illinois said: Which edition? If it was the second edition, it is relatively still good. Easier to "digest" in my opinion. If you have the third edition, yes you can still use the book but the way the information is presented, you can be easily overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information that they are throwing at you. Honestly with the 3rd edition of the Mosby book, you need to give yourself ample time to study and understand the material before you sit down for the exam. How quickly you pick up the material is entirely up to you. Personally it was okay but I found the math portion a bit lack and confusing to say the least. One example is the alligation medial section. Granted I am not as sharp as I would like but I can easily pick it up but the example they used is so unclear to me. Plus they used a lot of what I called "messy" math. If you are faltering in the math department, I would suggest borrowing the book "Complete Math Review for the Pharmacy Technician" by William A. Hopkins Jr. Any edition will do. And definitely check out your local library if they have any pharmacy tech books but only limit yourself to two books at the most. Anything more is overkill.

My book doesn't have any edition from what I see. It was copyrighted in 2006. Maybe it's the first?

I will look into that math book since that is my weak point.

Thanks a lot man, I appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.