PTCB or exCPT???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (27)

lisa in Medford, Oregon

74 months ago

A friend of mine took the exCpt and passed it, then she moved to california and apparently they don't recognize it there they only recognize the ptcb. It seems the pctb is more widley known. I will say I took the ptcb and it wasn't easy! I passed but it was geared more toward a hospital setting than retail. I think is worth it though if you ever plan to move to diff states with diff laws.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Fairfax, Virginia

71 months ago

Hey,look what I've found!

ptcb-exam.blogspot.com

it's a useful site for those who are palnning/going to take the PTCB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Saint Louis, Missouri

68 months ago

Technician regulations differ by state. The ExCPT is a viable option for Pharmacy Technicians in the vast majority of states. Check with your State Board of Pharmacy for requirements.

You can study for the ExCPT exam with any materials you wish. We offer a Pharmacy Tech Training Manual that you can purchase to study for the ExCPT exam if you'd like. We also have some other study aids to help prepare you for the ExCPT exam.

For additional info on the EXCPT please visit our website www.nationaltechexam.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

robss in Seattle, Washington

65 months ago

Kate in Seattle, Washington said: I took the ExCPT and I am SO GLAD I DID! After reading all these horror stories here about people failing the PCTB, and hearing about my smartest classmates ... and I've completed a training/certification program at my local CC,....

Curious, here: did you go to No. Sea. C.C.? Did you compare with other Seattle area Ph.Tech. programs as well, such as Pima? I would like to know your experiences, if at all possible. I am considering going to Pima, Ed.CC, or No.Sea. for Ph. Tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

pjcadell in Searcy, Arkansas

65 months ago

Just got my scores back from the PTCB. Took my test this past February and I DID PASS...but, getting the actual scores was something good to look upon :)My friend (classmate) passed, also.
We are both currently enrolled in a Pharmacy Technician Program at ASU/Beebe in Searcy, Arkansas. I studied from my class notes and also from "Concise Review For The PTCB Exam"
I owe so much of my passing this exam to the Instructors where I attend college. THEY ARE GREAT! I didn't feel the test was too hard, but you definitely need to be prepared. I am an Adult Learner and know this new career change will be such a rewarding/learning experience. I look forward to continuing my studies and staying informed with all aspects of Pharmacy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

n0d3stinati0n in Sacramento, California

61 months ago

Hello everyone,

I am scheduled to take the test in 2 days. I would like to ask whether I need to know about specific effects of taking multiple drugs (drug interaction). And besides memorizing brand/generic name of drugs and which group they belong to, do I need to know the symptoms of illnesses that they treat?

thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pharmacy technician in Los Angeles, California

54 months ago

I used Mosby's book to study for the exam. I took the PTCE, and I focused on the laws and calculations. I knew very little about drugs/interactions and passed (studied 4 days x 6 hrs)

Some other books:

www.pharmapplicants.com/pharmacy_technician.php

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Quiksilver in Johnson City, Tennessee

52 months ago

I just finished taking the PTCB exam and it was pretty easy. Then again, I have been working in a retail chain for 4 yrs and am just now getting certified in order to have better job opportunities. I work at a Rite Aid pharmacy and pretty much run the show there. I make the schedule and I pretty much do everything the pharmacist does anyway except check the medication. If anyone has any suggestions for a better job or any more titles I can earn (besides CPhT) let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rachellecooperjns73@yahoo.com in Tacoma, Washington

52 months ago

I just took the PTCB yesterday, i was pretty confident while taking the test, especially the math.
but i failed it.
i dont even understand how, and i cant get specifics until april 23rd.
i plan on taking the ExCPT but im not sure if i have to wait a certin amount of time to take it like you do if you choose to retake a test.
does any one know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

caro in Chicago, Illinois

52 months ago

rachellecooperjns73@yahoo.com in Tacoma, Washington said: I just took the PTCB yesterday, i was pretty confident while taking the test, especially the math.
but i failed it.
i dont even understand how, and i cant get specifics until april 23rd.
i plan on taking the ExCPT but im not sure if i have to wait a certin amount of time to take it like you do if you choose to retake a test.
does any one know?

no you don't have to wait, you could go ahead and register right away..that's why i did, i also failed the ptc and i'm about to take the excpt by the end of april..good luck to you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

B.Rivera in Big Spring, Texas

52 months ago

I took my test today and passed, The key is to keep God first, and pray for knowledge,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

della b in detroit, Michigan

51 months ago

excpht? whats does that mean i took and pased the ptcb. is that another title i should be looking into?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

rachellecooperjns73@yahoo.com in Tacoma, Washington

51 months ago

the differnce between the PTCB and the ExCPT is :
the PTCB is recognized throughout the whole united states
The ExCPT isant, though more and more states are recognizing it, this one is cheaper and i heard more easier

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

della b in detroit, Michigan

51 months ago

rachellecooperjns73@yahoo.com in Tacoma, Washington said: the differnce between the PTCB and the ExCPT is :
the PTCB is recognized throughout the whole united states
The ExCPT isant, though more and more states are recognizing it, this one is cheaper and i heard more easier

thank you...i never heard of the excpht. but the ptcb isnt super hard either concentrate in the math or everything else it will even itself out i concentrated on everything else..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sunshine103 in Dothan, Alabama

50 months ago

would like to know are there many math questions on the ExCPT test exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sunshine103 in Dothan, Alabama

50 months ago

Are there many law questions? Going to take the ExCPT on the 15 of June and need all the help i can get.

poy

49 months ago

B.Rivera in Big Spring, Texas said: I took my test today and passed, The key is to keep God first, and pray for knowledge,

How long do u have to wait to retake the test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

cankuna619 in California

46 months ago

For those that might need some review on math for either the PTCB or ExCPT might want to look at free tutorials on youtube. Just search under ptcb math review and you will find it.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

DEBBIE in Cleveland, Ohio

40 months ago

I TOOK THE EXCPT AND PASSED THE FIRST TIME I TOOK IT. ITS an easy exam ITS NOT THAT RECONISABLE HERE IN CLEVELAND I CALLED THE STATE BOARD OF PHARMACY AND THEY TOLD ME IT WAS IT IS SO HARD FOR ME TO GET A JO WITH THAT CERTIFICATION IT LEAN MORE TOWARD THE RETAIL SETTING I HAVE THIRTEEN YEARS IN RETAIL AND SEVEN YEARS IN A COMMUNITY HOSPITAL SETTING THE HOSPITAL SETTING ONLY WANT THE PTCB CERTIFICATION.MY JOB LET ME GO JUST BECAUSE I WASNT PTCB CERTIFIED.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bezekesteven in Dayton, Ohio

37 months ago

I took the EXCPT and it is recognized in most state just as the ptcb i work in dayton ohio and the state board of pharmacy to recognized it.

Mia Nguyen in Fountain Valley, California

36 months ago

I want to study PTCB test by my own. However, when I go to one of my local community college's website, it is told that if I get the pharmacy technician with only PCTB certification, I will less likely to get the job. This is the original words I read:

"Are certified by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB). (Applicants who qualify by this option without also completing a training program often have difficulty getting a job. The PTCB exam is a computer-based test of basic knowledge. Employers want to know that you also have the technical skills and hands-on experience required for the job!)

Is it correct?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Victor31 in Naples, Florida

36 months ago

I took a Pharmacy Technician Training program by myself on Peen Foster Pennsylvania Carrier School. After I finished the Florida Board of Pharmacy told me they not longer recognized this training since January 2011 and I should take another training again. I was wondering if I take the PTCB will I be able to find a job? Does anyone know if they will give me the State Board Registration just after I take the certification of not?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cvm13 in League City, Texas

36 months ago

Mia Nguyen in Fountain Valley, California said: I want to study PTCB test by my own. However, when I go to one of my local community college's website, it is told that if I get the pharmacy technician with only PCTB certification, I will less likely to get the job. This is the original words I read:

"Are certified by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB). (Applicants who qualify by this option without also completing a training program often have difficulty getting a job. The PTCB exam is a computer-based test of basic knowledge. Employers want to know that you also have the technical skills and hands-on experience required for the job!)

Is it correct?

no that's not true.. u can pass it by self studying.. eventhough u don't have technical or clerical experience that's fine.. when u go to an interview and ask you about experience tell them that you're willing to learn the job and u can apply your knowledge based on what you've learned from the book..

anyway i have the PTCB book that i'm selling it will guide you to pass the exam.. if u are interested u can email me at cvm_13@yahoo.com; actually i didn't have experience too but walgreens hired me because i told them that i am willing to learn and to be trained.. that's it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lindzmscpht in Columbus, Ohio

35 months ago

Don't waste your time with the EXCPT just because it's cheaper and easier. If you can't pass the PTCE then consider another career path, because you will need to know the PTCE math calculations if you ever want to make money as a pharmacy tech. If you are not able to properly calculate IV dosages you cannot learn to work in a hospital where the money is-- just saying. Counting pills is not where the money is, and you'll be a dime a dozen. You guys spend money on these colleges or tests thinking you'll get a job for 13-15/hour to start--the truth is you have to suck it up and get a retail job first because they are most likely to hire you with no training. You'll get minimum wage to at most 10 an hour to start, unless you're lucky enough to find an independent pharmacy paying more money who's willing to take you with no experience. Get the hands-on experience. I see people on here complaining about their pay rate or complaining because they can't find a job. I've been a pharmacy technician for 6 years in various settings and became nationally certified through the PTCB and even BEFORE getting certified I was able to get many, many job offers because the state I'm in doesn't require certification to work as a pharmacy tech. But seriously, I'm not trying to be rude but stop wasting your time if you can't pass the PTCE because it's honestly not difficult and math needs to be a stronger suit for you in this field. If you want to throw money away then consider getting a math tutor and paying for your IV certification..you'll be set..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Tahlequah, Oklahoma

30 months ago

bezekesteven in Dayton, Ohio said: I took the EXCPT and it is recognized in most state just as the ptcb i work in dayton ohio and the state board of pharmacy to recognized it.

I beg to differ...EXCPT is newer, ALOT easier, and NOT nationally recognizable...If given the choice between the 2, study hard, and take the PTCE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

carlos in Albuquerque, New Mexico

27 months ago

i just took the ptce and passed with no problem. math is a big part of it. you really want to take the ptce instead of the excpt, it is more widely known from state to state. dont let these horror stories scare you from taking it. it is really not that hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tech101 in Beaverton, Oregon

4 months ago

Lol run the show! That's funny! I worked at rite aid for 5 years and also made the schedule but ya you make no money there. I make so much more now in compounding pharmacy. Retail pharmacy socks plus it's super easy but keep on running the show! Lol

Quiksilver in Johnson City, Tennessee said: I just finished taking the PTCB exam and it was pretty easy. Then again, I have been working in a retail chain for 4 yrs and am just now getting certified in order to have better job opportunities. I work at a Rite Aid pharmacy and pretty much run the show there. I make the schedule and I pretty much do everything the pharmacist does anyway except check the medication. If anyone has any suggestions for a better job or any more titles I can earn (besides CPhT) let me know.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.