Pharmacy Tech School

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 81 of 81)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Jess in Lawrence, Kansas

77 months ago

Vye in Jacksonville, Florida said: I am have been working in the pharmacy tech field since 2001, certified through the national PTCB since 2002. state license in 2 states (TN , MS and worked in FL) all together I paid $0 to obtain it all! I have worked in retail and mail order pharmacies. for those of you that are paying 3,000 and 12,000 or even 1,000. you are wasting your money and time. Walgreens pays and also give you study session for you to pass the PTCB exam. they will hire you with out being Certified then bump up your pay once you get your certificate. i hate to see many people go to those career colleges for NOTHING! Ireally love my job however it is not in high demand right now, the pay is not very much unless you have yrs of experience and hospital are the highest paid (about 16 hr or more depending on your location) Please do not be fooled! if you have the time and opportunity please take up classes for sonography/x ray tech or better off Assoc of Nursing that's where the big buck and high demanding employment ops are...Hope this helped someone!

Hi Vye.
How did you get started? Did you have any experience when you got the job? I feel like they would consider me too young/inexperienced to hire.-18 years old

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Colorado Springs, Colorado

77 months ago

Gerry in Wayne, New Jersey said: Derek, DON'T spend $3,500 on a tech course, I would even question $1,000,but I spent about $650 or so on an on line program and passed my test with flying colors. many people think that a course is a waste of time, but I found it useful. You could by a couple of text books or some cd's for about $70 and study on your own, but, it's always nice to be in a classroom setting. Go for it. The niceness of the school means nothing

If you paid for an online course how to you have a classroom setting? But I agree, don't pay the money to go to school-buy some books and study and your own pace. That way you'll be learning what you really need to know and save yourself several thousand dollars.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

michael yanez in Houston, Texas

76 months ago

$3,500 for pharmacy tech course is way too expensive. I have no doubt you need to go to school or online school to prepare the qualification, why pay more?
You can finish the preparation courses to get certified only at $888.00 at allied school. www.pharmacytrainingonline.com/

Good Luck!

exp. pharm tech for 23 years in Newark, New Jersey

76 months ago

Derek in Shanks, West Virginia said: I am about to start a Pharmacy Tech program here at the local tech college. Its an 8 week course and its only $1000. I know everyone keeps saying dont go to school but I feel that I will gain knowledge and experience from this course. Anyway, the instructors keep praising this occupation saying that they are jobs everywhere up here for this and that I will have no problem finding a job. Do you think they are just saying this to get my money. Also, do employers look to see what school you went to for your certification or do they just look to see if your certified. Because I can go to another school for $3500 and it is a nicer school, but this one is shorter and cheaper. Just hoping for some opinions here....??????

I started working as a pharmacy tech back in the 80s and i will tell you that you do not need the ridiculose school or its fees to sit for your certification
just volunteer in a hospital pharmacy or retail to gain the exp an in turn they will
help you sit for the PTCB test i did. p.s. i didnt volunteer i got paid

JudyA618 in Augusta, West Virginia

76 months ago

Den E. in Moreno Valley, California said: Hi John,

Can you recommend me books and other materials to read? I would try my luck on buying the book and self study, then take the PTCB test.

Thanks.

Go to national pharmacy technicians program and buy the book for $54.00

mahmate09 in Las Vegas, Nevada

76 months ago

Derek in Shanks, West Virginia said: I am about to start a Pharmacy Tech program here at the local tech college. Its an 8 week course and its only $1000. I know everyone keeps saying dont go to school but I feel that I will gain knowledge and experience from this course. Anyway, the instructors keep praising this occupation saying that they are jobs everywhere up here for this and that I will have no problem finding a job. Do you think they are just saying this to get my money. Also, do employers look to see what school you went to for your certification or do they just look to see if your certified. Because I can go to another school for $3500 and it is a nicer school, but this one is shorter and cheaper. Just hoping for some opinions here....??????

if you like the field you better sick more longer training i am about to finish it. it is 9-10 months training and about $ 10,000-13,000 cost. it is worthit you will like it typing speed and drug name ( about 200 ) their class and use is very important make sure you like biology and basic math and good memory to catch names..........it is very interesting and you will enjoy the challenges.

76 months ago

ok it is good idea to go ahead and get traing. however, where i live the story is diferent the traing is longer it is not weeks it is months with same number (8) and the cost is about $ 12,000 you can get financial aid and loans if you qualify. i am about to finish it, it is an associate degree level though for certificate it coud be right what you talk about, anyway it is very interesting field specially if you like biology, basic math( like conversion,percentage, proportions and the likes....) and good memory for 200 drug names you will be fine.

mike in Miami, Florida

75 months ago

soril in Orlando, Florida said: I have been thinking about changing my career path and wondering if I can just self study and take the certification test without enrolling any schools. Do you think it will be possible to try???

yes you can, i bought a book at barnes n noble for 50 dollars studied, took the ptcb and passed

mike in Miami, Florida

75 months ago

mahmate09 in Las Vegas, Nevada said: if you like the field you better sick more longer training i am about to finish it. it is 9-10 months training and about $ 10,000-13,000 cost. it is worthit you will like it typing speed and drug name ( about 200 ) their class and use is very important make sure you like biology and basic math and good memory to catch names..........it is very interesting and you will enjoy the challenges.

THAT IS CRAZY! way too much money..... waaayyy too much, pharmacy technicians dont even make much money to have a DEBT of 13,000 to pay for a course like that..... I bought a book for 50 at barnes n noble, took the PTCB and PASSED!

75 months ago

passing PTCB IS IMPOSSIBLE you have to be recognized by the board through the school you can not take a certefication process with out going school you are acting like there is not rules and regulation in place for things like these.

LA in Costa Mesa, California

75 months ago

Check out CA law. One way, still, is pass test. I know people who have passed no problem. Bright college students, not your average high school grad.

75 months ago

you are miss guiding and lying as the same time there is a certificate, diploma, and phd in this field they just stop
degree program anyway goodluck !!!

lnm1661 in Dallas, Texas

75 months ago

So is school a requirement to take PTCB? Can you just learn it on your own and pass the exam? What about getting a job isn't it harder if you don't have school or experience?

75 months ago

i know what is your interest and what you trying to say. The bottom line is you can take a 2 week of training and get a certificate for any thing but i am sure you can imagin there are a lot of onhand lessons that you can not get it unless you go to school. This is America and i hope you know how much they strict
on health care profession.

mike in Miami, Florida

75 months ago

mahmate09 in Las Vegas, Nevada said: you are miss guiding and lying as the same time there is a certificate, diploma, and phd in this field they just stop
degree program anyway goodluck !!!

unfortunately it seems to be the truth that your completely misinformed about the process to become a certified pharmacy technician. THERE IS NO PHD! The only thing there is, is a CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN. Go to WWW.PTCB.ORG and read so that you can be enlightened on your incorrect knowledge. Do not accuse me of lying when obviously you haven't checked the facts! Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Miami, Florida

75 months ago

lnm1661 in Dallas, Texas said: So is school a requirement to take PTCB? Can you just learn it on your own and pass the exam? What about getting a job isn't it harder if you don't have school or experience?

going to a "school" to become a CERTIFIED pharmacy technician is NOT required. You CAN buy just a book at likes barnes n noble for $50 and learn it yourself... go to WWW.PTCB.ORG all the information is there.

No, it does not make it harder to get a job if you didn't go to a school for the certification.

Yes, it is harder to find a job if you haven't had experience in the pharmacy before. Therefore, try volunteering at a pharmacy at a hospital, that's great experience.

LA in Redlands, California

75 months ago

CA pharmacy law allows students to learn in pharmacies while they are enrolled in a program Volunteers would not be students and what they can do will be limited. A volunteer can certainly learn a lot and be able to demonstrate their work ethic. Frankly, some of the Best techs I have worked with learned on the job. They became techs before schools and certifications. Schools are turnng out techs like crazy. I don't understand why people believe the schools about jobs. Applicants should call around, see if there are jobs available. Talk with several techs and pharmacists before enrolling. I checked into jobs and spoke with pharmacists before I decided to become a pharmacist. Tech work is very physical think twice before thinking of it for a second career. I know a 79 yr old pharmacist who works part time. His brain is sharp. A 50+ tech will still be sharp but the physical duties will drain you.
Perhaps the person talking about phd tech is a troll? I didn't understand the comment.
Good luck to all.

Copycat2 in New York

75 months ago

It would look better if you have amazing grades. especially in chem. but a good solid record of working in one place for an extended period of time also looks good. If you go into a retail pharmacy and get hired you get paid for training. I know the retail chain I work for has a certification of their own for technicians it is not affiliated with ptcb but you do get paid for the 2 classroom sessions and a minimal wage increase if you pass.
If you plan on going to pharmacy school work while you can get money because you will be doing a lot of interning when you're in school!

Jess in Lawrence, Kansas said: Im a freshman in college and I plan on trying to get into pharmacy school in a couple of years. I know it would look good on my application to show that I have worked at pharmacy/had some experience in the pharmacy department. I feel like pharmacies won't hire you unless you're a certified tech or already admitted into pharmacy school. Are there any pharmacies that will train you to work for them? or internships that don't require you to be in pharmacy school already? websites would be helpful!

LA in Hemet, California

75 months ago

Each state has laws regarding techs and licences. Some require a school, some don't. If you want to become a pharmacist this is not the best forum for you. Check into Student doctor network or college confidential, and others I am sure. I have been a pharmacist for >25 yrs. I know of only one person who was a tech and then went on to become a pharmacist. Tech school is not the first step to being a pharmacist. Go to a real college, find a way to volunteer, work in the health field, get experience. Do not waste lots of time or money for a tech school. I do know several who were already prepharmacy, worked as techs along the way and became pharmacists. Once you have completed a yr of pharmacy school (not pre pharmacy) you can get an intern license and get paid more than a tech. You will need great grades and have to show you know what you are getting into, to be admitted to pharmacy school. Good Luck

Sam in Redondo Beach, California

75 months ago

soril in Orlando, Florida said: I have been thinking about changing my career path and wondering if I can just self study and take the certification test without enrolling any schools. Do you think it will be possible to try???

I just finished the course in California and I would say that; Yes you can self study for sure. You can get the books online from amazon. The only thing you need to be aware of is that to become a registered tech, which is the requirement to work in California, you need to prove a certain number of course work hours from an accredited institution. This may be different in Florida. The private colleges are really expensive but I did mine through an adult school program in my neighborhood (also accredited) for less than 100 dollars including books. If you have an opportunity to do something like this I would highly recommend it. Good Luck!

09hamilton in Lewisville, Texas

75 months ago

does any one know the requirements for texas or where to go to find them?

Brian in Ontario, California

75 months ago

Gerry in Wayne, New Jersey said: Derek, DON'T spend $3,500 on a tech course, I would even question $1,000,but I spent about $650 or so on an on line program and passed my test with flying colors. many people think that a course is a waste of time, but I found it useful. You could by a couple of text books or some cd's for about $70 and study on your own, but, it's always nice to be in a classroom setting. Go for it. The niceness of the school means nothing

don't spend n e money go to the library and study it for free, why waste that much on a 12$-16$ an hr job?

Yvonne in West Covina, California

74 months ago

Would you please tell us all what book(s) you used for self study? Also, which adult school you went to obtain your course work credit/

74 months ago

check the following: nationaltechexam.org pharmacytechnician.org ptcb.org ashp.org

74 months ago

to add to former comment, nationaltechexam.org will sell ya the course for $45 plus $9 shipping. it's 300 pages, (nothing like atlas shrugged)

chrystal in Sacramento, California

64 months ago

Elizabeth in Menifee, California said: u.s. career institute. They will let you make monthly payments of $50.00 a month.

Are you working as a tech ???? I am trying to figure out the best online school, that will meet California boards requirments????

chrystal in Sacramento, California

64 months ago

I am trying to find the best online school, that meets California boards requirements. Any ideas?????

Ivette in Tucson, Arizona

28 months ago

All you have to do is check with the State Board of Pharmacy for the state that you will be living and inquire if a License is required to work as a Pharmacy Technician, having the PTCB Certification is a big plus where ever you move and desire to work. I worked at Walgreens and its a great company because there are tons of moving possibilities, Walgreens is everywhere in the United States.
I want to move to PR did I hear correctly that a License is not required? I have my PTCB certification but no one seems to give me any information about Licensing for Pharmacy Techs in PR.

Ivette in Tucson, Arizona

28 months ago

Is a License not required to work in Puerto Rico as a Pharmacy Technician/?? I am Certified through PTCB.

NeedNewJob in Pooler, Georgia

27 months ago

where did you take this course?

Edwina in Lakewood, Ohio

16 months ago

Derek in Shanks, West Virginia said: I am about to start a Pharmacy Tech program here at the local tech college . Its an 8 week course and its only $1000. I know everyone keeps saying dont go to school but I feel that I will gain knowledge and experience from this course. Anyway, the instructors keep praising this occupation saying that they are jobs everywhere up here for this and that I will have no problem finding a job. Do you think they are just saying this to get my money. Also, do employers look to see what school you went to for your certification or do they just look to see if your certified. Because I can go to another school for $3500 and it is a nicer school, but this one is shorter and cheaper. Just hoping for some opinions here....??????

HiDerek,
I think you should take the 8 week pharmacy tech program. My niece took it. it is intense, and fast. She completed the course, got her certificate as a pharmacy tech and currently is making a good living as a pharmacy tech at a local pharmacy. You would only be out $1000 versus more if you do other programs. Plus what happens and you don't like it? GO FOR IT!
Edwina
Lakewood, Ohio

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.