Pharmacy Tech online school

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 526)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Steve in Atlanta, Georgia

79 months ago

Hi,

I am interested in becoming a Pharmacy Tech and would like to study online.
Could anybody please recommend a good school, I don't want to spend my money on some scam school.
Thank you very much.

Steve

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (315) / No (40) Reply - Report abuse

David Scurlock in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

78 months ago

Steve in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hi,

Could anybody please recommend a good school, I don't want to spend my money on some scam school.
Thank you very much.

Steve

You should not waste any money on any type of school,
find a pharmacy tech book, study it, and take your exam.

I went to an actual school, 1 1/2 years later, im still
trying to find work as a Pharmacy Tech.

Dont waste money going to school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (81) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Atlanta, Georgia

78 months ago

Thanks for the honest reply.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dm H in Sarasota, Florida

78 months ago

David Scurlock in Eden Prairie, Minnesota said: You should not waste any money on any type of school,
find a pharmacy tech book, study it, and take your exam.

I went to an actual school, 1 1/2 years later, im still
trying to find work as a Pharmacy Tech.

Dont waste money going to school.

Please help me understand-are you saying that you can study on your own, apply to take the test and not need to have any documentation from a school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

What i am saying is, I spent $10,000 for school, and a 1 1/2 later I still have not found employment as a pharmacy tech, if i had it to do over again, I would have just studied for the exam, and get as many certifications as you can, then volunteer in a hospital pharmacy to gain experiance. There are books on taking the pharmacy exam. Know your math formulas foremost, there maybe a lot of math questions on the exam, allegations, know how to determine if a DEA number is valid or not, I would not waste money going to school. I went to texas school of business in houston, tx - I would never recommend that school, there is almost no way to fail, they want you to get out so they can get paid, although you can fail if you do not attend classes, or pass their cheap tests, im sure most 6-8 month pharmacy schools are the same way. They really do not care if you really learn anything, they just want to get you out on the street, employed or not just so they can get their pay check, my teachers do not even return my calls anymore, they just dont care, so why bother.

You should go to this ptcb yahoo site where you can lean about your exam and study tips. hopefully the link will not be deleted, this is a very good yahoo group that can help.

groups.yahoo.com/group/JeanettasPTCBStudyGroup

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Steve in Atlanta, Georgia said: Thanks for the honest reply.....

I am pretty pissed off, so yes, I am being honest.

I think most states do require that you be registered
as a pharmacy tech, normally a yearly $20 fee. Some states
you are not required to be certified but mostly it is a plus,
that is the PTCB exam, look at the link on the bottom of my
posts, you can find help on where to start. IV certification
is also required in most states if you want to work in an
IV environment. go to google and look for pharmacy board (in your state) then find the link that will lead you to your pharmacy board, that will tell you what is or is not required for your state.

here is an example pharmacy board for my state:
www.phcybrd.state.mn.us/pharmtec.htm

Hope this has helped someone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Prescott Valley, Arizona

76 months ago

Where would I be able to find legitimate pharmacy tech books? If I past the test will it be easier to find a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

ellen in Spokane, Washington

75 months ago

i want to go to school for Pharmacy Technician and i just want to know if its really hard cause i herd it was. and if you need to be really good in math.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Swagata in Alpharetta, Georgia

75 months ago

Steve, I see you are from Atlanta. I wanted to find out if you ended up going to a school or studied online at home. I am trying to get some information for my brother. Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

razi in Everett, Washington

75 months ago

i just found this site where you can pay only $75 and get books plus online help for pharm tech. i dontnow much about it being good or not but if anyone knows let me know!

www.quicktestprep.com/index.html

you can click on "join now" to read more information on the course training!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

kevin31 in Washington

74 months ago

David Scurlock in Eden Prairie, Minnesota said: What i am saying is, I spent $10,000 for school, and a 1 1/2 later I still have not found employment as a pharmacy tech, if i had it to do over again, I would have just studied for the exam, and get as many certifications as you can, then volunteer in a hospital pharmacy to gain experiance. There are books on taking the pharmacy exam. Know your math formulas foremost, there maybe a lot of math questions on the exam, allegations, know how to determine if a DEA number is valid or not, I would not waste money going to school. I went to texas school of business in houston, tx - I would never recommend that school, there is almost no way to fail, they want you to get out so they can get paid, although you can fail if you do not attend classes, or pass their cheap tests, im sure most 6-8 month pharmacy schools are the same way. They really do not care if you really learn anything, they just want to get you out on the street, employed or not just so they can get their pay check, my teachers do not even return my calls anymore, they just dont care, so why bother.

You should go to this ptcb yahoo site where you can lean about your exam and study tips. hopefully the link will not be deleted, this is a very good yahoo group that can help.

groups.yahoo.com/group/JeanettasPTCBStudyGroup

Hi,I am in Seattle of washington and I don't know much about the PTCB Test regulation in washington. Do you need to have credit or some requirement in school to take the test and What type requirement are they? Can PTCB test be taking online or do you have to do it in an institution?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Johna in Gadsden, Alabama

74 months ago

I work at a bookstore and I just bought the Delmar's book. It's about $58 dollars but it seems really helpfull if you want to become a CPhT. Go to the ptcb.org website and look at all the FAQ's that should help you out =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

John in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

74 months ago

Annie in Joliet, Illinois said: Has anyone used qucktestprep.com??? Thank you!

If you really think about, you can buy a used pharmacy book online for $25-30. This site charges you a lot for a book and email support, big deal...find a free phamacy tech forum/group, and get all the support for free...do not give money to these sites, or waste $10,000 going to school. buy a decent used pharmacy tech book online, and study the hell out of math formulas...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

John in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

74 months ago

Paula Tafoya in New Mexico in Santa Fe, New Mexico said: Is there any good place online that I could shop for used pharmacy technician books. I need to study!! Also if anybody knows the name of the study books, this info. will be very helpful. Thank you.

I hear mosby's is good...I also seen a set of DVDs on
ebay, this guy claims he has a 100% pass rate, do not
know how true it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Emmanuel in Miami, Florida

73 months ago

Hi i work in walgreens phamacy and im going to become a pharmacy tech you really dont need to spend much money
u just need a book and like someone said earlier a 20$ fee for the test
its not too hard
But u cant christmas tree it either lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

melissa in Boston, Massachusetts

73 months ago

do any of u know how much is starting pay for a pharmacy technician who is nationally certified? i know every state is different but im just curious!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jr in Hollywood, Florida

73 months ago

when you become a pharmacy tech what are the next steps to become an actual pharmacist??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ted in Indianapolis, Indiana

73 months ago

One does not need to become a tech first before becoming a Pharmacist. If you're considering going to school to become a tech, and you're thinking about possibly becoming a Pharmacist, don't waste your time studying to be a tech. A Pharmacist's degree, (PharmD), takes 6 years to complete, and has NO pre-requisites.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

cheryl in Los Angeles, California

72 months ago

Dm H in Sarasota, Florida said: Please help me understand-are you saying that you can study on your own, apply to take the test and not need to have any documentation from a school?

I'm a pharmacist and I can tell you DON"T GO TO TECH SCHOOL! Every technician that we hire has transferred into the pharmacy from the store as a clerk -then took the test on their own time. Pharmacy chains will even pay for the test. the thing is that employers would rather promote an employee already hired rather than hire an unknown. Up until a few years ago there was no such thing as a pharmacy tech school. All pharmacy techs became so by working 2 years on the job. Get some work experience read the book and take the test. You don't have to go to school and waste all that money. In fact, most pharmacies are reluctant to hire techs from a tech school because they have little working knowledge. You really need to learn on the job because each pharmacy environment has it's own software etc...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (86) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Perry in Chicago, Illinois

72 months ago

I just finished a pharmacy tech online program and I found it to be some what easy. They have a payment plan to help you pay for it to your budget. You have support from instructors and you get the study units in the mail or you can print them straight from the website. You can do the exams by telephone, mail, or online. Online exams you get your results right away. The program is called Penn Foster.Check it out.

Thank you very much.

Steve

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Z in Rancho Mirage, California

72 months ago

Thanks for all the advice guys. Even though I didn't ask for it I was googling it up and stumbled on to this site, and found most of my questions answered. I was about to enroll in maric college here in Palm Springs CA and they were charging me $12700 for a 9 month pharmacy tech school program. I have decided not to take it anymore after reading all this, but I still want to enroll in some kind of school so I can gain some knowledge and would like some kinda of hands on training. I found out that my local college offers the same program for about $2,195 and compare to $12,700 you can't beat it. Atleast I know I won't spend the the next couple of years trying to pay off 12k.

Thanks,
Z

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Awesome! Glad we were able to help. Good luck in your career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nafisa Jaghuri in Modesto, California

72 months ago

Thank you very much.

Steve

Hi-
I know of one school, but it is not on-line though. However, this is very good school and the tuition is very affordable. It is in California and I write you the website and see whether they have one in your state. It is only two nights a week or on a full day Saturday for approximately 7 month (27 weeks). Hope this info helps you.
Good luck on your school's choices

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nafisa Jaghuri in Modesto, California

72 months ago

I forgot to write you the school website: www.Bostonreedcollege.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Hi, you don't need to go to school at all. Get the tech review book then take the test. School is not a requirement to become a tech. In fact, Nevada has done away with the tech exam entirely. Nevada went back to number of hours worked in a pharmacy = a tech license.
I've been a pharmacist for 22 years and I can tell you that chains and corporations rarely hire a tech from a tech school. Costco promotes people from the store into the pharmacy and then pays for them to take the tech test after home (not school) study. They never hire tech school graduates - Costco pays the highest tech wages.

Don't waste your time and money on tech school. Just get a job as a pharmacy clerk, learn on the job and take the test on your own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

coolwhip2

72 months ago

Study a variety of pharmacy settings outpatient,inpatient pharmacy ,outpatient, how to calculate iv drips, how to calculate insulin vial per mont reconstitution ofr drug cover as much as possible about retail prescriptions .

Nafisa Jaghuri in San Leandro, California

72 months ago

Thank you for the info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Houston, Texas

71 months ago

Hi Cheryl, I always wanted to pull a pharmacist on duty to the side and ask them why does it seem hard to get a job as a pharmacy tech, but of course they will be busy. Sure enough they go by appearance as everyone does. I’m always dressed well, cleaned short manicured nails, neutral hair color, closed toe shoes, even to speak to see if they are hiring lol but true…(yeah I took a job readiness class) I complete applications as required and still not hired. It's been 4 years???? I heard CVS and walgreens doesn’t have the time to teach you the basics if no previous experience, is this true. Is it true they want experience first? My 1 and a half year in school isn't enough. My certification, professional resume, perfect background, and registry aren’t enough or so it seems. How can I get experience if no one will hire me? Where to get experience in Houston? Volunteer? Someone tell me this.

Michelle

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

srujana in Peoria, Illinois

71 months ago

hi im intrested to write certified pharmacy technician exam.suggest me best book for that exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

You don't need to do any online study or externship. Just study the book and take a test. It's better if you get hired as a clerk before doing this. Once you get your tech license you can be upgraded from a clerk to a tech.
Most businesses are reluctant to hire techs-they would rather promote from within so they know who they're getting. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Hi,
Most pharmacies/pharmacists are reluctant to hire an unknown person that went to a tech school. The best techs are the ones that worked in the pharmacy as a clerk then took the tech test. This insures that the tech already knows how to use the computer/software at the pharmacy- doesn't need to be trained. Also, the employer already knows the work habits of the employee and how well they get along with the rest of the group. An employer is taking a big risk by hiring a new employee. Are they honest? Attitude? Sick calls? Lazy? Stupid? By promoting from within, the employer doesn't lose valuable time in training to see if the tech will work out.

I've been a pharmacist for 32 years and I can say that it is indeed rare for a retail pharmacy to hire a tech from a tech school. The tech schools are nothing but a scam. Tech schools do not prepare you for working in a pharmacy. Pharmacy tech jobs involve knowing how to input insurance plans into the computer and how to bill online claims. That cannot be taught because each pharmacy has a different software program. In fact, Nevada recently did away with the tech test and reverted back to hours worked in a pharmacy qualifies a tech.

Get a job as a clerk then get promoted to a tech. Costco only promotes from within and never hires outside
help. The same is true for CVS and riteaid-they train their own clerks to become techs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

These calculations aren't hard-they are commonsense. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking it's hard.
For instance, 1 btl of insulin has 1000 units. If a person uses 30 units a day, how much do they use in a month (30 Days)? 30 x 30 = 900 units. So, 1 btl of insulin lasts about 30 days. IV drip rates? Even easier.

All math can be done by simple add,subract,divide or multiplying. No one needs to go to school to figure these out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly

71 months ago

I have to thank you all for the information provided here. I have a BA in Elem Ed., but need to find a job with flexible hours in the evening so I can be caregiver of 2 during the day. I am in Pinellas County, FL and would like to know if anyone has any experience with the pharmacies or hospitals in the area. Where is it best to apply? Is it fairly easy to work in the evening when first starting?

Thanks a lot!

vinu in Torrance, California

71 months ago

thank u very much for the info..as u said to get into pharmacy as pharmacy clerk,can i just go & apply.will they take persons with out any experience in pharmacy field,becoz i don't have any pharmacy experience,iam a master graduate in chemistry only.also can u recommend the name of the book which i have to study for the PTCB exam ?..once again thank u so much..

71 months ago

If you have a Master's in Chemistry, you don't need to be messing around as a pharmacy tech. You probably need to set your sights a bit higher. The pay is not that great for someone with your education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Robert oneal in Palatine, Illinois

71 months ago

Emmanuel in Miami, Florida said: Hi i work in walgreens phamacy and im going to become a pharmacy tech you really dont need to spend much money
u just need a book and like someone said earlier a 20$ fee for the test
its not too hard
But u cant christmas tree it either lol

Hi emmanuel i'm a student soon to be pharm tech how much do walgreens start the pharm techs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

i know pay is not that great as u said,but for me now i need flexibility..can u recommend the name of the book for the PTCB test ...
do u know any flexible job with chemistry background ?.

71 months ago

I would go with "Mosby's Review for the PTCB Exam"...I think this is pretty much the standard...everyone else agree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nisha S. in Indianapolis, Indiana

71 months ago

I have been trying to get a job at a local CVS and Walgreens so that I can work in the pharmacy and get certified as a tech but I never get a response when I apply....is there another wayt to get hired on?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mary M in Cincinnati, Ohio

71 months ago

I was looking online for possible schools, I have been interested in the healthcare/pharmacy field and stumbled onto this site. And yes I agree the pharm tech programs are not required. I worked at a local grocery chain, Meijer, for about a year as a pharm tech. They sent me to the "schooling" required. Now mind you, this was like 7 years ago, but they started my pay out at $8.50 an hour with no experience in the pharmacy what so ever. And some of these so called online schools are scams. I recently signed up for dental assistant school through Penn Foster and what a joke!!!!! I have since canceled and will not put anymore money into it. I mean come on, the exams are so easy and all I had to do was look through the course work. All their exams are "open book" exams. Oh and until you pay off the course fees you can't get your degree. So their so called affordable monthly payments do no good when you finish but can't get a job because you don't have the degree to show you even went to school. I don't know about anyone else but I can't afford to plop down a grand while I am still looking for working. My suggestion to anyone...... check out all the details before signing up with any school or for any program. Some of these programs offered at these schools are scams and not necessary!

christie in Missouri City, Texas

71 months ago

is there any online iv certification program for pharmacy technicians,i'v aleady been to the NPTA website, but their classes start on july 10. your help is much appreciated,thx.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

71 months ago

christie in Missouri City, Texas said: is there any online iv certification program for pharmacy technicians,i'v aleady been to the NPTA website, but their classes start on july 10. your help is much appreciated,thx.

I have seen IV exams online, but you still need a pharmacist to sign off
that you have completed what you need
before you can get certified, so if you are already working with IVs, you can do your exam online, and your pharmacist can signoff on you...otherwise you would have to actually take a class, and that pharmacist would sign off that you did the work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pagan in Albuquerque, New Mexico

71 months ago

I don't know what school y'all have been going to, but they don't sound like they were very good programs. I'm currently in the Pharmacy Tech program at Central New Mexico Community College and a lot of pharmacies in Albuquerque will hire only graduates from our program. Plus, CNM is the only program in the state that does sterile product training. I'm already sterile product certified.

And to David in Eden Prairie....you either interview horribly or haven't been trying. There is a shortage of health care professionals across the board. Placement rate out of my program is 100%.

71 months ago

christie in Missouri City, Texas said: is there any online iv certification program for pharmacy technicians,i'v aleady been to the NPTA website, but their classes start on july 10. your help is much appreciated,thx.

could you direct me to some online websites where i can take this course,thx.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tasha in Los Angeles, California

71 months ago

cheryl in Los Angeles, California said: Hi, you don't need to go to school at all. Get the tech review book then take the test. School is not a requirement to become a tech. In fact, Nevada has done away with the tech exam entirely. Nevada went back to number of hours worked in a pharmacy = a tech license.
I've been a pharmacist for 22 years and I can tell you that chains and corporations rarely hire a tech from a tech school. Costco promotes people from the store into the pharmacy and then pays for them to take the tech test after home (not school) study. They never hire tech school graduates - Costco pays the highest tech wages.

Don't waste your time and money on tech school. Just get a job as a pharmacy clerk, learn on the job and take the test on your own.

Hi I am having trouble with my current job CVS how can apply for a job at costco do they have an email address

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kzumbrunnen in Coon Rapids, Minnesota

71 months ago

I have just graduated high school, and I'm looking for what would be my best interest to be a pharmacist technician. Do I go to school, or do I get a book and take a test? If i get a book, which book, and where and when would i take the test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

kzumbrunnen in Coon Rapids, Minnesota said: I have just graduated high school, and I'm looking for what would be my best interest to be a pharmacist technician. Do I go to school, or do I get a book and take a test? If i get a book, which book, and where and when would i take the test?

hey, some people take the book and read it and then take the test and other people go for the courses offered at your local community colleges. I do not know exactly the book title, but if you put like in a google search barnes and noble ,i bet you could find some really great resources. also, talk to your local pharmacist about the exam boards, for instance, i took the exam with ptcb(pharmacy technician certification board); if this helps, here is the website: www.ptcb.org.hope this helps!!!

kendra zumbrunnen

71 months ago

Thanks. I just ordered the text book and they said it would be here in less than a week. Where would I find out where and when to take the test?

71 months ago

kendra zumbrunnen said: Thanks. I just ordered the text book and they said it would be here in less than a week. Where would I find out where and when to take the test?

oh, the website is www.ptcb.org and if you go to "register for exam it will tell you which test dates are open and when to start filling out the application, you can find which tets site you want to go to . if you need anymore information just ask me, thx. Pearl

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

can u plz tell which book ur referring for the test ?.
thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.