Pharmacy Tech online school

Comments (51 to 100 of 527)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

savanna in Apple Valley, California

84 months ago

Z in Rancho Mirage, California said: Thanks for all the advice guys. Even though I didn't ask for it I was googling it up and stumbled on to this site, and found most of my questions answered. I was about to enroll in maric college here in Palm Springs CA and they were charging me $12700 for a 9 month pharmacy tech school program. I have decided not to take it anymore after reading all this, but I still want to enroll in some kind of school so I can gain some knowledge and would like some kinda of hands on training. I found out that my local college offers the same program for about $2,195 and compare to $12,700 you can't beat it. Atleast I know I won't spend the the next couple of years trying to pay off 12k.

Thanks,
Z

you really learn a lot form maric i graduated from there and its a great school! well the one i went to in riverside! its more hands on then a regular college an they only have a few students to help you get a hang of everything alot easy-er!

84 months ago

vinu in Torrance, California said: thank u very much for the info..as u said to get into pharmacy as pharmacy clerk,can i just go & apply.will they take persons with out any experience in pharmacy field,becoz i don't have any pharmacy experience,iam a master graduate in chemistry only.also can u recommend the name of the book which i have to study for the PTCB exam ?..once again thank u so much..

if your talking a baout a jobin ca the pay is cut in half with out pharmcy tech schoolong.. but you do have a very good degree to go some where better.. they get paid well .. loma linda unv.. starts out at 19 per hour.. but you have to go to school. an have a nation test.. but they also make good money at just a walgreens they start out around 18per hour! good luck!

84 months ago

kzumbrunnen in Coon Rapids, Minnesota said: I have just graduated high school, and I'm looking for what would be my best interest to be a pharmacist technician. Do I go to school, or do I get a book and take a test? If i get a book, which book, and where and when would i take the test?

you should go to the school. its alot to learn a grasp.. you get paid alot more if you go to school an get cirtifed.. but you should do some reseach on how much they get paid where you live in ca. they star out at about 17 an hour.. good luck!

Mina in Dallas, Texas

84 months ago

I was thinking about goint to a local tech school this fall. But i have totally changed my mind, i rather become something else. Thanks!

Susan in San Jose, California

83 months ago

I am enrolled in the Boston Reed College Pharmacy Technician Program here in California and I am enjoying it very much. The book is very informative and the curriculum is fun and interesting. Our class is about 20.
Boston Reed offers to foster you through the entire process of getting a job in a pharmacy. So far they have been very responsive to all my needs and questions. I am getting an A- in the class. It is held on Saturdays only, so I can work at my current job without interference. I think I will be prepared to do well on the State test and National Certification Exam after I graduate in December 08. I paid only around $2,000 for this course. I felt it was a good opportunity and small amount to see if I could master the material. But of course we will see.

Renita in San Diego, California

82 months ago

I am currently doing my externship at a Compounding Pharmacy ( just 2 weeks left). I myself went to UEI for the Pharmacy Technician Program of 8 months. The instructors are great always there to answer questions and help. I can honestly say that the school was great they help get you an externship so you are actually practicing what you have learned in classroom and lab training. I am not really looking at how much I spent - because when it comes down to it if getting a loan is going to help me in the future. (Why would you not do it?) The thing is that the school has to have a proven track record. Also, you personally have to be motivated to do the work in order to get the job as a pharmacy technician, todays market is tough. The key is to network, apply and keep doing it until you get something you want, in some situations it may take moving to another state or another city within your state....

But always...BE ENCOURAGED!

sam in Hanford, California

82 months ago

Hi, I am taking a online Pharmacy Tech course. I have a couple of friends that are Pharmacy techs, they were granfathered in, so they never had to take the exam. They told me that the only math they use on a daily basis is adding, subtracting, and multiplying. In the course that Im taking the math is so much harder than that. Can someone that has taken the exam in California tell me what type of math is on the exam. How much of the exam is math? Someone please let me know.

Jim in Augusta, Maine

82 months ago

sam in Hanford, California said: Hi, I am taking a online Pharmacy Tech course. I have a couple of friends that are Pharmacy techs, they were granfathered in, so they never had to take the exam. They told me that the only math they use on a daily basis is adding, subtracting, and multiplying. In the course that Im taking the math is so much harder than that. Can someone that has taken the exam in California tell me what type of math is on the exam. How much of the exam is math? Someone please let me know.

Hello, please tell me how to register for the online Pharmacy Tech coures ? Many Thanks

Sam in Hanford, California

82 months ago

Jim in Augusta, Maine said: Hello, please tell me how to register for the online Pharmacy Tech coures ? Many Thanks

Hello, Im taking it through PennFoster. Just go to the Pennfoster website and it will tell you everything you need to know about how to register online. They also have a Phone Number to register. I hope this helps you.

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

82 months ago

Sam in Hanford, California said: Hello, Im taking it through PennFoster. Just go to the Pennfoster website and it will tell you everything you need to know about how to register online. They also have a Phone Number to register. I hope this helps you.

buy a book, study some, then take the excpt test. even if you fail, you can take it once per month, and its cheaper then the other one. no need for school...

Alli in Dallas, Texas

82 months ago

HI, just browsing and actually stumble into this board. As many you the posters has said that you don't need to go to school to be a Certified Pharmacy Tech. I, myself, studied with the Mosby's book and passed. One of my coworker was going to school for this certification and is also IV ready. So, some school can be helpful if you can find the right one. I recommend just studying the books and taking the test though. Good luck ....

Marina in Yakima, Washington

82 months ago

Angela in Everett, Washington said: www.pennfoster.com I am doing it now and it is great.

i did that course. loved it. now i cant get a lisence here because of the credentials from pennfoster.

hani in Saint Paul, Minnesota

82 months ago

how can i take the test with out going to shcool for the pharmacey tech

Martha

81 months ago

Marina in Yakima, Washington said: i did that course. loved it. now i cant get a lisence here because of the credentials from pennfoster.

I am considering the PennFoster program too. What is wrong with the credentials from PennFoster that you can't get a license?
Everything I've read on here about not taking classes and just reading a book and taking the exam scares me. I have no background in this field so would going to a career school not help?

VRose in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

81 months ago

Martha said: I am considering the PennFoster program too. What is wrong with the credentials from PennFoster that you can't get a license?
Everything I've read on here about not taking classes and just reading a book and taking the exam scares me. I have no background in this field so would going to a career school not help?

I would only consider penn foster has a helpful tool to help you pass the test, but over all, however, I would be embarassed to put it on my resume, after all, its only a online class to help you pass the test, and thats about it...its not like a 2 year college program that you would proudly list on a resume, if you want to piss money away on a class compared to reading a book (self learning) then that is completely up to you, after all, in the end, you will not get a job faster just because you took a small online course...
guess what penn foster will do..? you will pay them a lot of
money, and they will send you a few books...you could do what I said for a lot less with the same book they will send you...

angel in Birmingham, Alabama

81 months ago

Guess we all have our opinions. Its people like you that discourage people VRose.

mcdonald41170@hotmail.com in Merritt Island, Florida

81 months ago

Steve in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hi,

I am interested in becoming a Pharmacy Tech and would like to study online.
Could anybody please recommend a good school, I don't want to spend my money on some scam school.
Thank you very much.

Steve

Gatlin Education through University of Central Florida. Course cost me $1845.00, but is a very comprhensive course. website is www.gatlineducation.com

mcdonald41170@hotmail.com in Merritt Island, Florida

81 months ago

Tiffany in Prescott Valley, Arizona said: Where would I be able to find legitimate pharmacy tech books? If I past the test will it be easier to find a job?

Barns and Noble has a book titled Pharmacy technician certification exam review second edition. This book was invaluable to me when studing for my exam It is more comprhensive than my textbooks.

angela in Everett, Washington

81 months ago

i go to penn foster. they are a home study program. I will be done in Oct. I started last Sept. I would be done sooner but took the summer off to spend the the kids and go on vacation. But looking forward to getting to work.

81 months ago

Martha said: I am considering the PennFoster program too. What is wrong with the credentials from PennFoster that you can't get a license?

The accreditations. I would check with your state to make sure u will defenitly recieve a lisence and are able to work as a tech. Pennfoster was really easy for me and it was fun. If u like to learn then it wont be hard at all.

81 months ago

kevin31 in Washington said: Hi,I am in Seattle of washington and I don't know much about the PTCB Test regulation in washington. Do you need to have credit or some requirement in school to take the test and What type requirement are they? Can PTCB test be taking online or do you have to do it in an institution?

hey im in WA too. did u ever find out about the PTCB test?

81 months ago

angel in Birmingham, Alabama said: Guess we all have our opinions. Its people like you that discourage people VRose.

Wasent trying to discourage anyone.

angela in Everett, Washington

81 months ago

Marina in Yakima, Washington said: The accreditations. I would check with your state to make sure u will defenitly recieve a lisence and are able to work as a tech. Pennfoster was really easy for me and it was fun. If u like to learn then it wont be hard at all.

Yes, I have enjoyed using Penn Foster. My dad who is a pharmasist told me I should go to school instead of just studing for the test. I want to be able to work in a hospital and have learned alot more then just studing on my own. BTW I am in Everett, WA

angel in Atlanta, Georgia

81 months ago

I'm taking the pharmacy tech program with penn also and i really think it will help out in the end.

Jason in Visalia, California

81 months ago

You have to be careful with Penn Foster. I discovered that if you take the course and graduate you still will not be able to be licensed in california. The california pharmacy board does not accept there classes. You would still need to take the PTCB test and become certified. So all I did was buy a book on passing the exam at Barnes and Noble and studied it and took the test.

Martha

81 months ago

Jason, I bought the book at Barnes and Noble last week and just by looking at it, it's going to be a struggle for me as I have no background in pharmacy. Can you suggest any other self study books on the pharmacy tech subject that might help me also?

Jason in Visalia, California

81 months ago

There all pretty much about the same.

angel in Conyers, Georgia

81 months ago

let me ask im considering canceling my course phar tech at penn foster i just dont know what to do...

81 months ago

if you are going to cancelle, I would do it before you get to far into the program. I just got done with module 5, and Penn Foster told me that if I cancelled I would still have to pay the whole amount. So I might as well finish it. The reason I was considering cancelling is because I do not get the math part of the course. I do not understand the formulas. I heard the state test has 40% math on it. So Im a little worried.

angel in Atlanta, Georgia

81 months ago

well i just started module 4 and they wanted over half to cancel it so i might as well finish it too. yeh me too have you looked into getting the mosbys review? they say its very helpful.

djessup in Austin, Texas

81 months ago

David Scurlock in Eden Prairie, Minnesota said: You should not waste any money on any type of school,
find a pharmacy tech book, study it, and take your exam.

I went to an actual school, 1 1/2 years later, im still
trying to find work as a Pharmacy Tech.

Dont waste money going to school.

I must be in an odd town in TX, then. All of the pharmacies are looking for licensed pharmacy techs. They're willing to send you to school too. All you have to do is register with the state as a pharmacy tech in training, and that's free....

angel in Lilburn, Georgia

81 months ago

sam i totally agree with you on that, this pharmaceutical calculations exam sucks. what have i got myself into????????

ANGEL in Alpharetta, Georgia

81 months ago

FINALLY GOT THRU THAT EXAM AND IT SUCKED!!!!!!!!!! BUT I DID GOOD!!!!

Martha

81 months ago

Angel, Congratulations! How and what did you study for the exam? I'm concerned about the math content as that isn't one of my best subjects!

Sam in Hanford, California

81 months ago

How was the exam? Was there alot of math on it? What areas do you suggest studying?

Mike in Knoxville, Tennessee

81 months ago

I took the tech test and passed with almost perfect. There was a lot of hospital, math, and conversions. Some things include: 1bid x 7 days- how many pills up to: 30g .025% of 1 content, 5 g .5% of another, mix them and what is the concentration? Or how do you get 25%? Any other questions let me know. Just look up on e-bay pharmacy tech study guide or something. Have 3 tech jobs in 1 month and make @ 12 an hour between all three. And also be be prepared to study about 200 hours unless you have experience then it varies. I was a tech for 8 months before becoming certified.

81 months ago

Congradulations! Was you aloud to use a caculator during the test?

Regina in Lititz, Pennsylvania

80 months ago

sam in Hanford, California said: if you are going to cancelle, I would do it before you get to far into the program. I just got done with module 5, and Penn Foster told me that if I cancelled I would still have to pay the whole amount. So I might as well finish it. The reason I was considering cancelling is because I do not get the math part of the course. I do not understand the formulas. I heard the state test has 40% math on it. So Im a little worried.

Sam,
There's a book called, math for meds. I'm in nursing school, and it's been helpful. I used to be afraid of math. But don't give up!!!

dee in Sarasota, Florida

80 months ago

Regina in Lititz, Pennsylvania said: Sam,
There's a book called, math for meds. I'm in nursing school, and it's been helpful. I used to be afraid of math. But don't give up!!!

Math for Meds has got to be the greatest book for figuring the math out! The book basically takes you back to square one and walks you through so that you can feel comfortable.

sam in Marietta, Georgia

80 months ago

Tank you Regina, where did you purchase the book?

80 months ago

You can find the book at Barnes and Nobles. But I ordered mine through Amazon.com

80 months ago

Steve in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hi,

I am interested in becoming a Pharmacy Tech and would like to study online.
Could anybody please recommend a good school, I don't want to spend my money on some scam school.
Thank you very much.

Steve

I found one online for $300 plus another $130 to take the exam at a testing center. I've been researching the pharm tech openings, and most companies are requesting a diploma and certification.
Here's the link:
virtualinstitute.coursehost.com/engine/Authentication/Registration/StudReg.asp?inv=1&pcode=&LID=2&ky=OvCKfcAGn0dnQTZhgoL_Y5omF3TO6qWu

Some schools are asking $800-$1500. I'm going to this school a try.

80 months ago

Regina in Lititz, Pennsylvania said: I found one online for $300 plus another $130 to take the exam at a testing center. I've been researching the pharm tech openings, and most companies are requesting a diploma and certification.
Here's the link:

Some schools are asking $800-$1500. I'm going to this school a try.

Say goodbye to your $$$. for what this industry pays, its not worth spending a dime on anything other then a cheap book, and going to some cheap unaccredited school or taking some online class will not give you an edge over anyone experianced that is also applying for the job.

just little me in Oviedo, Florida

80 months ago

I have this book, and I have found an error regarding how many inches into the Laminar Flow Hood a tech should be working. I am now wondering what else is wrong with this book. What errors did you find?

Emma in Mountain View, California said: You really shouldn't spend the money to go to school unless you're going for a 2-year AA. Pharmacy Technician roles are expanding and eventually just a technical diploma won't cut it.

If you want to get a simple "job" as a pharmacy tech, it IS hard, even if you have school under your belt.

Everything, and I repeat EVERYTHING you need is in the Noah Reifman certification review book. Look for that book online, study it, takes notes, and sign up for your PTCE.

The PTCE is taken at various exam centers in your city. It costs about $120.00 to take it. You can find info at ptcb.org

Some states allow you to get licensed when you provide proof that you passed the PTCE and have become a Nationally Ceritified pharmacy technician or CPhT (which is what the PTCB is in the business of doing)

The Mosby's books aren't that great - they're full of errors, and when you're a pharmacy tech you can't be making errors like that left and right.

Most of the other books I've heard are full of errors too - the Reifman book is the only one that's ever been practically flawless. Get the most recent edition, 2007 or 2008.

80 months ago

Where do you go for the AA degree? Any reputible online schools? I already have college credits. I did see some pharm tech jobs in PA for $20/hr on Careerbuilder.com
I know Kelly temp agenicies hire techs in MD and PA.

Sonya in Biloxi, Mississippi

79 months ago

Ive been trying to find books to look over for the pharm. tech. exam...so far people have mentioned:

Math for Meds
Noah Reifman Certification Review Book
Delmar Pharm. Tech. Certification Exam Review
Consise Review

Everytime I look up a book, someone is saying it isn't good and they suggest another and so forth. I am coming back into school after 3 yr. break so I need the "Everything you need to know about Pharmacy Tech for Dummies Review Book"...lol. Please help!!

Alan Freeman in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

79 months ago

Thank you Regina for your find. Your comments and been very helpful as I am also looking into the PT course. The 300 dollar course sounds great to me. Wish you all much success in your endeavors.

Regina in New Brunswick, New Jersey

79 months ago

Thank you and the same to you!

Stacy in Turlock, California

79 months ago

John in Eden Prairie, Minnesota said: If you really think about, you can buy a used pharmacy book online for $25-30. This site charges you a lot for a book and email support, big deal...find a free phamacy tech forum/group, and get all the support for free...do not give money to these sites, or waste $10,000 going to school. buy a decent used pharmacy tech book online, and study the hell out of math formulas...

Does anyone know if this is true for California?

I have been an X-ray Tech for 15 years, and hurt myself on the job over a year ago so I am needing a new career. I know the pay won't be comparable, but to be an x-ray tech, I had to go to an accredited school, prior to taking any exams. Any help you can provide would be great, thanks

79 months ago

Stacy in Turlock, California said: Does anyone know if this is true for California?

I have been an X-ray Tech for 15 years, and hurt myself on the job over a year ago so I am needing a new career. I know the pay won't be comparable, but to be an x-ray tech, I had to go to an accredited school, prior to taking any exams. Any help you can provide would be great, thanks

listen to what you are saying..you hurt yourself in an x-ray career, and you want to move into a career where there is a lot more movement involved?

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.