You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 527)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

debritto in Long Beach, California

74 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Miranda in Downers Grove, Illinois

74 months ago

Taking a Pharmacy Tech course will be a necessity soon on a FEDERAL LEVEL. There is a national bill being discussed for all states, 350 contact hours of training will be required if the bill is passed it will take a little while to take effect but it will be required.

Good Luck all!

aryamehr in Palm Desert, California

74 months ago

i live in palm desert and i'm looking for pharmacy technician rop classes

motter76 in Mundelein, Illinois

73 months ago

Steve in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hi,

I am interested in becoming a Pharmacy Tech and would like to study online.
Could anybody please recommend a good school, I don't want to spend my money on some scam school.
Thank you very much.

Steve

I am currently taking online classes with the Univeristy of Phoniex. It is not a scam school. I live in Illinois and there is campus in Shaumberg, IL. That is were I went to learn more about the school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

David

73 months ago

Hey Steve,

I studied through Gatlin Education they are contracted with many Universitie's throughout the US. I had really good luck with them. It take's around 6 to 8 months.
Check ou their Web site. Gatlineducation.com. Oh, it's also an online program.

Good luck
David

rocky in Phoenix, Arizona

73 months ago

Could anybody please recommend a good school, I don't want to spend my money on some scam school.
Thank you very much.

Steve

what i'am about to say is really going to make some people mad but hopefuly will help you steve..
i have many friends who were going to school to become a pharmacy tech and have dished out thousands of dollars for school... well i applied at a walmart in my hometown and they placed me in the pharmacy as a cashier, two weeks later the pharmacist sent me down to the state board of pharmacy to get my technician in training license cost me 35.00 i didnt have to pass anything it was just a paper saying i could work in a pharmacy as a trainee walmart reimburced me the 35.00 and now i am being trained as a technician getting paid for it and its way easier to learn to do the job if you are doing it hands on. soo look around call pharmacys and see if they train technicians it will save you alot of money and time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

YANNI in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

73 months ago

WHOSE PHARMACY PROGRAM (PharmD) IS BETTER FAMU, NOVA, OR UNIV. OF FLORIDA?

73 months ago

rocky in Phoenix, Arizona said: what i'am about to say is really going to make some people mad but hopefuly will help you steve..
i have many friends who were going to school to become a pharmacy tech and have dished out thousands of dollars for school... well i applied at a walmart in my hometown and they placed me in the pharmacy as a cashier, two weeks later the pharmacist sent me down to the state board of pharmacy to get my technician in training license cost me 35.00 i didnt have to pass anything it was just a paper saying i could work in a pharmacy as a trainee walmart reimburced me the 35.00 and now i am being trained as a technician getting paid for it and its way easier to learn to do the job if you are doing it hands on. soo look around call pharmacys and see if they train technicians it will save you alot of money and time.

In your state that might be legal to do but in a lot of states you need national certification and all you have is a license from the BL. Anyone can get one of those but because of people like you dispensing drugs without proper training we have had a lot of deaths. Look up Emily's Law in Ohio or go to www.pharmacytechnician.org/. To get your certification you need to take a course or have 2000 hours of training under your belt. You would be surprised at how much more you are going to make with that certification and how many more options of employment you can get.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

73 months ago

Miranda in Downers Grove, Illinois said: In your state that might be legal to do but in a lot of states you need national certification and all you have is a license from the BL. Anyone can get one of those but because of people like you dispensing drugs without proper training we have had a lot of deaths. Look up Emily's Law in Ohio or go to www.pharmacytechnician.org/ . To get your certification you need to take a course or have 2000 hours of training under your belt. You would be surprised at how much more you are going to make with that certification and how many more options of employment you can get.

Your end statement is not that true... I am national certified/registered, and have 9 months+ experiance. I can not
seem to find a better paying job. I have even noticed the jobs have declined at my local hospital, which I have been passed over once again...maybe its my area, maybe its the economy, who knows..
I guess I am lucky just to have a job, but just because you have some experiance does not mean some company is just going to hire you right off the bat...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: Your end statement is not that true... I am national certified/registered, and have 9 months+ experiance. I can not
seem to find a better paying job. I have even noticed the jobs have declined at my local hospital, which I have been passed over once again...maybe its my area, maybe its the economy, who knows..
I guess I am lucky just to have a job, but just because you have some experiance does not mean some company is just going to hire you right off the bat...

VROse you need to get at least a year in on the retail side of pharmacy before a hospital will consider you. Have you tried to take an aseptic class of some sort that will help get you into the hospital.

Good Luck

LHughes in Victorville, California

73 months ago

Four months ago Ive decided to make a career change and become a pharmacist. Because I have no medical training, I intend to go to pharm tech school while attending college to finish my AS degree in hopes of getting into a good PharmD school when I graduate. Pharm tech school and then working as a tech for me is a stepping stone to learn all there is to know about this field. So in this case, I would think pharm tech schools are a good thing if you're planning on going further.
However, if you are looking for a job, then by all means, buy a book and take the test. That way when you do get a job you wont feel dissapointed when it doesnt turn out the way you'd hoped. After all, you aren't trying to make a career out of it, right?
And we all know that if the only thing you're aiming for is a paycheck, you will sift from one job to next just like everyone else who has a diploma and a certificate, and don't think for once that pharmacist don't know this.
Therefore, in my opinion, for those who are smart enough to become a pharmacist, don't waste 10 years in a job that pays $10/hr when you could spent just 2 years, then enter PharmD to become an intern and get paid twice as much. Then in 4 years, after you get licenced, you become a pharmacist. I wish someone would have told me that when I was younger. I had to find out at 31 through three of my friends who are pharmacist.

JMastron in La Puente, California

73 months ago

I realize you are trying to save a tech to be some money, but in the long run we should all be advocating EDUCATION before examination not the other way around. READING a book does not a technician make. EVERY person who got CPhT BEFORE he or she got training or education had to be trained on the job to become a technician. Letters mean nothing without experience and putting into practice what is in your head.

PLEASE rethink what you have written and your thought process. Reconsider your point of view.
In the mean time please know that I wish you only the best.

Respectfully,
Jeanetta Mastron CPhT BS
Pharm Tech Educator
Tech Advocate

L. Hughes in Victorville, California

73 months ago

I understand what your saying Jeanetta, but I still agree with the pharmacist. Most pharmacy techs are employed in the retail setting. If they are only doing this as a job, not a career, I don't see any reason to pay so much money if the intention is not to become a health care practioner. Most job requirements are nothing more than customer service and making calls. There is no need for calculations or doing IV work. If they want to work in the hospital, then thats a different story. I would suggest some sort of schooling, but not expensive. Hospitals pay more and pharmacist like when techs know things such as medical billing, calculations and iv work. In the hospital, they can work their way up or possibly make a career, but not in retail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

L. Hughes in Victorville, California said: I understand what your saying Jeanetta, but I still agree with the pharmacist. Most pharmacy techs are employed in the retail setting. If they are only doing this as a job, not a career, I don't see any reason to pay so much money if the intention is not to become a health care practioner. Most job requirements are nothing more than customer service and making calls. There is no need for calculations or doing IV work. If they want to work in the hospital, then thats a different story. I would suggest some sort of schooling, but not expensive. Hospitals pay more and pharmacist like when techs know things such as medical billing, calculations and iv work. In the hospital, they can work their way up or possibly make a career, but not in retail.

I agree, retail is just a job, and that just means just over broke. You are just a tool for the over paid pharmacist to answer phones, do the register, fill scripts, etc...

NEWS:

I have heard that GSK and Walmart have made a deal to offer your Albuterol Inhaler for $9.00 - Of course this is nothing more then a walmart trick to get you to come into the store and buy the Albuterol Inhaler, what they are not saying is that the inhaler is only 60 doses. A typical albuterol inhaler is around 200 doses, and most with a 30 day supply depending on your use of the inhaler. I consider this just a tease inhaler that walmart will soon offer to its customers, and will not be worth your time as a 60 dose inhaler could last 10-15 days depending on your use of the inhaler. Why is walmart putting your health at risk?

Donna in Amityville, New York

73 months ago

Thank you very much.

Steve

i am currently studing at kaplan university and it is great and it is a great college and really nice professers

73 months ago

I work with MRxI Corp and we have a program you can purchase online and do it at home. One of our students called to let us know he successfully passed his exam after he purchased the set. He said it took him a short time of study. I personally recommend taking the course through your local college that is where the majority of our students go, you will benefit from the instructor and lecture. We do not have a program in your state but I am sure there are many more that do. But again if you are looking for an online course or an at home study course call us and we can answer your questions. Email me if you have questions. miranda@mrxicorp.com.

Michelle in Simpsonville, South Carolina

73 months ago

I work at a grocery store as a cashier and was recently promoted to pharmacy clerk, where I ring up the scripts under the supervision of the pharmacist. I've been HIPPA certified and they are wanting me to be pharmacy tech certified b/c there is only one full time pharmacy tech and the pharmacist that work there. I order a book to study for the ptce but they told me I would need to go to school for two years b/c they changed the requirements for the test. Is this true b/c I don't really want to wait two years till I get a promotion!

72 months ago

Michelle in Simpsonville, South Carolina said: I work at a grocery store as a cashier and was recently promoted to pharmacy clerk, where I ring up the scripts under the supervision of the pharmacist. I've been HIPPA certified and they are wanting me to be pharmacy tech certified b/c there is only one full time pharmacy tech and the pharmacist that work there. I order a book to study for the ptce but they told me I would need to go to school for two years b/c they changed the requirements for the test. Is this true b/c I don't really want to wait two years till I get a promotion!

go to your states pharmacy website and see what the rules are.

becca in Dublin, Ohio

72 months ago

Perry in Chicago, Illinois said: I just finished a pharmacy tech online program and I found it to be some what easy. They have a payment plan to help you pay for it to your budget. You have support from instructors and you get the study units in the mail or you can print them straight from the website. You can do the exams by telephone, mail, or online. Online exams you get your results right away. The program is called Penn Foster.Check it out.

Which online school did you do?

Mourad in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

72 months ago

Hello,
I am a new immigrant who came from north Africa, and who used to work as a preparer in pharmacy or pharmacy technician, as called in USA, for more than 12 years, and through all my career in my country I used to prepare many kinds of prescriptions by using many products such as menthol, Vaseline, aniline, salicylic acid, essence of lemon grass…etc.

My experience gave me the chance to learn about hospital drugs; moreover, I used to make a lot of invoices a day to the costumers and I learned how to read prescriptions; also, I used to know about European drugs and Arabic drugs because I speak French and Arabic perfectly; in addition, I used to work 12 hours a day in a pharmacy, which allowed me to know how to manage the pharmacy space and how to make orders; in addition, I learned how to manage the employers and expiry dates, and how to make an inventory, and through my experience in 4 different pharmacies, I learned a lot, and I am sending this e-mail to you to ask you some help to get a job and to leave my actual work which is Housekeeper; therefore, I would like to get your help to get started with this job, and use my knowlege.

Please accept my respects, and contact me back.

Mourad in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

72 months ago

Please I need your help to prepare my test, and how to prepare it, and how to regester for the test, and what are the books that I should stady? and do I have to go to take classes, or it is juste by studying books.

PLEASE HELP ME TO GET IT DONE,

Regina in Ephrata, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

I would first research what the salaries are. Also, you need to take a pharmacy tech course and take the exam in the state that you currently reside in. I've seen tech salaries anywhere from 12-16 per hour, but that's in DE and PA. Are you hoping to be a pharmacist one day? I would look into Medical Assisting or Nursing Assistant. Good luck!

Chuck in Brooklyn, New York

72 months ago

Great blog.
Does anyone know of a pharm tech school in new york city area (reliable)?
thanx

eve1 in Los Angeles, California

72 months ago

David Scurlock in Eden Prairie, Minnesota said: You should not waste any money on any type of school,
find a pharmacy tech book, study it, and take your exam.

I went to an actual school, 1 1/2 years later, im still
trying to find work as a Pharmacy Tech.

Dont waste money going to school.

where could I find this book at? Because I really don't want to spend all this money on a school.

BJ Parker in Indianapolis, Indiana

71 months ago

Ted in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Hopefully this will clear things up.

The requirements are based by state, not by company. For example, here in IN, one can become a pharmacy tech without going to school. You get a temporary 1 year license, then you have to take the PTCB exam. After that, there's typically a pay raise if you work for CVS or Walgreens. If you fail the test, you can just apply for another "temporary" license. You need to check your state's requirements for becoming a tech.

Ted, I see you are a Hoosier so you probably know our guidelines. I am looking to change careers and find Pharm Assting to be interesting. I've applied at the local WAlgreen/CVS in hopes to be hired for some on the job training. I've also been surfing the net for a reasonable Pharmacy Tech/Asst class and they are either too pricey or questionable. Sounds like you have traveled this road?

Ash in Mulberry, Florida

71 months ago

kendra zumbrunnen said: Thanks. I just ordered the text book and they said it would be here in less than a week. Where would I find out where and when to take the test?

From Ash Can you please tell me where to order this book. I want to be a pharmacy tech.. Your response will be highly appreciated. My e-mail pznar@yahoo.com

dreamgirl1 in saint Martinville, Louisiana

71 months ago

Has anyone know someone or has taken the Gatlin education program (through the continuing education of most public colleges)in pharmacy technican online course and found employment?

gmccray in Darien, Georgia

71 months ago

[comment has been edited by the forum moderator]

WOW !!! the dept of labor is pushing this class and why pay for something that is not needed - and you are a high school student - girl - I got you - I am about to retire and needed something I would enjoy...I think I will go to CVS online now and apply - you young people just know stuff !!! thanks
Grace in Valdosta, GA

bj in Indianapolis, Indiana

71 months ago

[comment has been edited by the forum moderator]

this is just the info I was looking for. I have applied at CVS hoping to get my foot in the door. I was looking for somewhere where I could get on the job or be sent to school by a company rather than floundering around out there looking for just the right classes and not really knowing what the employer is looking for. I will be persistant. thanks again

David

71 months ago

I wouldn't say school is a SCAM. Here in California you can do 240 hours of schooling and be licensed by the State. You don't have to be certified, but I'm sure those rules will be changing soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeanetta Mastron CPhT BS in Long Beach, California

71 months ago

March 31,2009
California AB 418 will be heard to discuss adding education as a requirement.

I am 100% for more education for techs in EVERY state except WA that gets it right! And I have been for over 20 years.

WHEN will states learn that medication errors are on the rise and MANY are not reported to the public due to GAG orders. MANY are made by techs. Some errors could have been avoided IF the tech had ONLY been EDUCATED. Let us look at OHIO: if the TECH only really KNEW that 23% would blow the blood cells and WHY then most likely the tech would have been able to double check for 0.9% NaCl instead of 23% 4meq/ml. Sad really. While she suspected something was off, (yeah like she opened vials instead of using a premade 0.9 NS IV bag), she had no clue what it was. IF she had been educated in a school about tonicity she c/would have avoided this error. I don't fault her because she did not know any better! I fault the state, the system.
Don't get me started on the non-chalant attitude of the pharmacist who said it was fine without paying much attention to the tech, or checking the use of the 23% vials, who went on to committ 9 more errors and have his license revoked (finally). I would fault the tech IF she had been educated as my techs are regarding tonicity.

Jeanetta Mastron CPhT BS Chemistry
Pharm Tech Educator
Go ahead and DREAM all you want that techs do not need education. Keep making 10.40 per hour. I am glad that CVS is offering more than they used to or what they have been offering for a while. But I am here to tell you it isn't enough! If you want to change over to hospital work one day you will find yourself stuck. A big difference between education with training and formal training only.

71 months ago

David said: I wouldn't say school is a SCAM. Here in California you can do 240 hours of schooling and be licensed by the State. You don't have to be certified, but I'm sure those rules will be changing soon.

YES David! HOPEFULLY those rules/laws will change. But we have to fight BIG CHAIN and Drug Companies. Most pharmacists in CA are FOR education of techs. Many work for Big Chain and are not allowed to voice this. But they do in their professional associations.

So if this bill AB 418 does not go through this time, WE will try again. And again until it passes. This is not the first, I hope it is the last, but most likely not.

Respectfully,

Jeanetta Mastron CPhT BS
F/O

David

71 months ago

Thanks Jeanetta for the information much appreciated.....

71 months ago

David said: Thanks Jeanetta for the information much appreciated.....

David ... You are most welcome!
Jeanetta

Sam in Indianapolis, Indiana

71 months ago

Ted in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Hopefully this will clear things up.

The requirements are based by state, not by company. For example, here in IN, one can become a pharmacy tech without going to school. You get a temporary 1 year license, then you have to take the PTCB exam. After that, there's typically a pay raise if you work for CVS or Walgreens. If you fail the test, you can just apply for another "temporary" license. You need to check your state's requirements for becoming a tech.

I have been trying to get hired on at a pharmacy but not having any luck. Most of them tell me that I need to go to school first, but I'm not really having any luck with that either. I'm starting to feel stressed...I really want to work at a Pharmacy. I looked into online classes but on of them told me that the state of Indiana doesn't except online courses. I looked into Med-Tech college but they don't help you get certified they just teach you what some of the things you may need to know and give you a certificate in attendance. My husband is the only one working and I have an 8 yr old son...so I pretty much have alot of time on my hands....I would really like to be a Certified Pharmacy Tech....is there anything you can tell me to help me out?

taylor in Memphis, Tennessee

71 months ago

ALL THIS INFO. IS GREAT BUT ARE THERE ANY GOOD SCHOOLS IN MEMPHIS TN TO LOOK FOR I HAVE MT ASSOCIATES OF APPLIED SCIENCE BUT ITS FOR MASSAGE THERAPY BUT I WANT SOMETHING IN PHARMACY THAT WILL PAY MORE THAN 11.00/HR CAN SOMEONE HELPPPP???

71 months ago

Go to www.salary.com to check out what Pharm Tech pays in your area/state/city. Compare to massage therapist.

It is very accurate for CA the North, Central/coastal vs South are paid differently.

I am not sure but I think that Pharm Tech in Tn will not pay you a whole lot more than 11-13 to start. But again you will have to check.

As far as schools go: If the state does not require education the greater the chance of being ripped off from a school, as there is less chance that the schools or a specific program for tech, have to be in compliance with any laws or other requirements.

States that require education or training have a greater chance of checking the schools yearly or every other year for accreditation or other 'approval process'.

TRY one of the univerisities. I think there is one in TN that has a pharm tech program.

Sincerely,
Jeanetta Mastron CPhT BS

taylor in Memphis, Tennessee

71 months ago

THANKS FOR THE INFO...

Jeanetta Mastron in Long Beach, California

71 months ago

You are most welcome. Would be interested in what you uncover/decide!

Luis in Glendale, California

71 months ago

Well I just finally got my license after waiting for some 4-5 months. I became impatient and sent an email to the board of pharmacy here in cali and after I did that my license was up online and active 2 days later...Kinda lame if I knew this before hand I could've got it a long time ago w/o waiting for so long. Anyways, Im having no luck in finding a job so far. I know its only been like what a week since I got it, but in reality I been trying to get hired for almost 6 months w/o a license. Pretty much I been testing the pharmacies around here in glendale. So far nothing. They all want you to have 2 years of experience. How in the world can a student fresh out of school with a new license going to obtain 2 years of experience to get a job? Also I need help on making a resume just for this proffesion. I doubt they want to know if I folded clothes on Pacsun for 6 months etc etc...Any websites would be great. Also any tips on applying to jobs or how to start this career up would be great. I enjoy filling up medicines and the job we have to do really. Its pretty damn fun getting payed a lot for really no labor at all.

David

71 months ago

I agree with California taking 4 to 5 months. What a joke it was...

Jeanetta Mastron CPhT BS Chemisty in Los Angeles, California

71 months ago

Does not matter if you go to school or pass PTCB, CA state board of pharmacy takes about 3 to 9 months to get your fingerprints checked etc and an answer back. Some other states take as long. I just had the same complaint about 2 months ago on my study group from some in Texas. 'BAcklogged' is what the state will say. No doubt the fact that you got your license in two days is a 'coincidence'.

Getting a job in any urban area of the US right now is difficult. Why? Because there are many experienced techs. So you will need to consider a drive to a less populated area.
Also many hospitals have a 'freeze' right now since the economy is at a standstill. Does not mean that they really do not want to hire, but that may people do not have jobs or medical insurance and are post poning certain surgeries....waiting until they get hired and insured again.
So even the medical industry is affected by the economy.

71 months ago

Also getting a job in not urban areas is difficult since there are less jobs available. But they have a smaller pool of educated techs or registered techs.

onemore thing: I get hospitals calling me for my students. I just had a major hospital in LA area call me about apharmacy tech hiring 'expo'. This is where the techs go with resumes and get interviewed right there on location. Like a 'casting call'.

I can not share this information with anyone as I sent my own students there. but I can say that if you went to a reputable school it should have a placement department that would/should help you.

But do not allow them to tell you about the economy! They MUST help you find work, or else they can not get grants and loans or be approved by CALIFORNIA state board of pharmacy or education.

LOOK at your CONTRACT and what your school claims it will do for you post graduation.

71 months ago

Most of my students are hired via their externships.
Most of my students do an externship at hospitals in LA/LB/Orange County.

But I have to admit, economy is slowing this down a bit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Asri Joda in Lake Forest, California

71 months ago

www.pharmacytrainingonline.com/ Highly recommend Allied Schools.

Miranda@Mrxicorp in Normal, Illinois

71 months ago

Our company gets calls from temp agencies and pharmacies needing pharmacy techs on a monthly basis. The last temp that called us asked for 80 techs. We had an independent pharmacy ask for 3 techs not too long ago. And in one state a very well known pharmacy chain uses our course to train their techs. BLS.gov announced the need for pharmacy techs earlier this year and the biggest need is educated (tech school not a book), licensed and certified.

SFpharmTech in San Francisco, California

71 months ago

Could anybody please recommend a good school, I don't want to spend my money on some scam school. Thank you very much,Steve

You really do not need to pay for "online school" (to expensive).
You only get a state license through an accredited school that offers internship.
or get the state license by passing the PTCE EXAM (get certified).
There is one online training that offers videoconference and teacher tutorial by phone/email. That would be better online school if ytou wanted to pay$.
To save money you can get many books at the library or amazon.
I studied the AphA "The Pharmacy Tehcnian" and passed the exam the first time.

SFpharmTech in San Francisco, California

71 months ago

David said: I wouldn't say school is a SCAM. Here in California you can do 240 hours of schooling and be licensed by the State. You don't have to be certified, but I'm sure those rules will be changing soon.

I never attended school because they're schedule and fees did not fit me.
I bought a book and took the certification exam. Once certified got my license.

Den E. in Moreno Valley, California

70 months ago

Hello all,

What books do you guys recommend to read for pharmacy technician? I am interested in just reading the book and take the exam. I will try my luck that way since private schools costs so much.

And is there a forum that is dedicated to pharmacy tech related?

Thanks.

Mindy in Reno, Nevada

70 months ago

Thank you very much.

Steve

Ashworth Career School. I did my pharm tech through them, they are very good.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.