Pharmacy technician externship

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

John in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

80 months ago

Once your school has ended, and your externship is over, you are not guaranteed employment, you should contact career services at your school..If walgreens thought you was good enough after your extern, they would have brought you on board, or they send you on your way...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

adelyn in walnut creek, California

80 months ago

I dont have externship,that's why I applied for it in walgreens but they did not let me take the externship because I dont have experience which is not make sense to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

reese in Richmond, Virginia

80 months ago

Adelyn in Oakland, California said: I have interview recently at walgreens for my externship. The guy who interview me said that after my extern. they will send me to the other walgreens store. I asked him if their is any problem because I dont have any experience in the pharmacy and he said "no because walgreens have a good training program".
But, when I follow-up my extern. he e-mailed me that he can't place me in pharmacy because I dont have experience inside in the pharmacies, which is not make sense to me. That's why I want to take the extern to be trained and to have the experience also.
Can someone tell me what should I do next?
Thanks...

You should try applying in pharmacies that will allow you to work without experience and still train you like cvs pharmacy, I went there and they hired me without anything

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

CHOUA in Sacramento, California

79 months ago

..WOW..YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR CAREER SERVICE AND TRY TO GO APPLY AT ANY OTHER PHARM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ss in Charlotte, North Carolina

73 months ago

lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tombisana in Morrow, Georgia

68 months ago

Adelyn in Oakland, California said: I have interview recently at walgreens for my externship. The guy who interview me said that after my extern. they will send me to the other walgreens store. I asked him if their is any problem because I dont have any experience in the pharmacy and he said "no because walgreens have a good training program".
But, when I follow-up my extern. he e-mailed me that he can't place me in pharmacy because I dont have experience inside in the pharmacies, which is not make sense to me. That's why I want to take the extern to be trained and to have the experience also.
Thanks...

My suggestion to you is to go to another retail pharmacy, if you tell me where you live, myabe I can make some sugestions. I am an extern coordinator, I will do my best to help you. I know it seems to be a little discouraging right now, but do not give up. You may want to try privately owned, or small pharmacies instead of retail chains. Sometimes, liability may be a factor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

BIRD25 in Mesquite, Texas

67 months ago

IS IT BETTER TO TRY TO GET HIRED ON AT WALGREENS OR CVS AND THEN MOVE INTO THE PHARMACY, OR WOULD IT BE BETTER TO GO THROUGH A COMMUNITY COLLEGE FOR THE TRAINING.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tombisana@yahoo.com in Morrow, Georgia

67 months ago

That depends on the level in which you would like to go. If you are satisfied with retail, then those chains or great. But if you would like to become more indepth, then try hospital. No matter which avenue you take, they both will look appealing to an employer. You are more likely to get the job if you have experience in both.

tombisana@yahoo.com in Morrow, Georgia

67 months ago

Yes, try another chain of retail pharmacies. They would rather use their own techs. So many students, have been told that they
don't have to go to school, that they can get certified through that particular chain, but what they don't tell you is that retail will be all that you will do. Hospital math is not taught to you with retail, and that is one of the most important aspects to a tech. How would you know how to prepare an Iv for a baby? Don't fall for that, try another chain, that has a pharmacy until you can get into a hospital. If there is a hospital that will allow you to volunteer, try to put some time in there, and you will see it is an entire different atmosphere and you will love it. What ever you do, don't give up. Go in and talk to every pharmacists in your town. Someone will give you a chance. Remember persistence is the name of the game.

Patty in Estacada, Oregon

66 months ago

Can I work in a pharmacy as a technician without the certification? I am a pre-pharm student, and I am planning to challenge the test at the end of summer. I need the pharmacy experience to get into my school of choice for the pharm-D program.I have been looking into volunteering, but I have only found one hospital in my area that would be willing to take me. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mii in Livingston, California

62 months ago

You can't just go to Walgreens, Longs, or anywhere else and ask for an externship. You would have to go through the Career Services department at your school. That is a liability that the store is not willing to take unless you were going through a school. You can get hired for being a Pharmacy Clerk which does not deal with medications. Nowadays, you can't even volunteer in a Pharmacy because of liability.

62 months ago

Patty in Estacada, Oregon said: Can I work in a pharmacy as a technician without the certification? I am a pre-pharm student, and I am planning to challenge the test at the end of summer. I need the pharmacy experience to get into my school of choice for the pharm-D program.I have been looking into volunteering, but I have only found one hospital in my area that would be willing to take me. Any suggestions?

I don't know about your State but in California, you now have to be licensed to work in a Pharmacy as a technician and most schools/colleges require that you obtain a degree in the field. You can't even volunteer anymore due to liability issues. Now if you're going to become a Pharmacist, I don't know about that but I am sure there are many internships available for Pharmacists than they are for Technicians. I think you should at least obtain a license. You may even get a pay increase with the license (and/or degree).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

BIRD25 in Mesquite, Texas said: IS IT BETTER TO TRY TO GET HIRED ON AT WALGREENS OR CVS AND THEN MOVE INTO THE PHARMACY, OR WOULD IT BE BETTER TO GO THROUGH A COMMUNITY COLLEGE FOR THE TRAINING.

It would be beneficial for you to get proper training for Pharmacy Technician. What community college in TX has a Pharmacy Technician program? I live in CA and that program is not taught at a community college.

No Pharmacist or Pharmacy will allow you back there without experience or a license unless you're a Pharmacy Clerk (cashier), even if you are an employee of the store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

adelyn in walnut creek, California said: I dont have externship,that's why I applied for it in walgreens but they did not let me take the externship because I dont have experience which is not make sense to me.

It makes sense because you would be a liability to them. You have to go through a school to do an externship. You have to be trained. You can't ask for an externship. Even if you ask to volunteer, you won't be able to unless you get a LICENSE! And even then, most pharmacies aren't taking volunteers.

You sound like you don't have the training. Do you? Have you been trained for Pharmacy Technician? If so, setting up an externship is something the school does automatically, even if you went to Boston Reed College. This isn't something you should be doing.

anna in Los Angeles, California

61 months ago

I'm looking for externship where do I look help me in Fontana Ca.

roasthawg in Auburn, California

61 months ago

Here's a link to a site offering a great simulation software package for the pharmacy technician certification exam. It's cheap and is loaded with everything you'll need to prepare for the exam. Good luck!
ati-pharmtech.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Guess who? in Lynnwood, Washington

59 months ago

Sue in Aurora, Colorado said: Bravo! Well said. A lot of people who post here are in dire need of basic English grammar skills, not to mention they also must learn how to punctuate and spell correctly. No wonder they are having such a hard time finding employment. If they come off like a backwards hillbilly in an interview I can understand the company's lack of desire to hire them.

She/he writes/sounds more like a foreigner if you ask me. African in particular but who knows really? You were very quick to pass judgement weren't you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

REALLY? in Tampa, Florida

47 months ago

Guess who? in Lynnwood, Washington said: She/he writes/sounds more like a foreigner if you ask me. African in particular but who knows really? You were very quick to pass judgement weren't you?

African? you were pretty quick to judge, also. Look at her location, more than likely she is of hispanic decent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anoymy in Atlantic Beach, Florida

46 months ago

tombisana in Morrow, Georgia said: My suggestion to you is to go to another retail pharmacy, if you tell me where you live, myabe I can make some sugestions. I am an extern coordinator, I will do my best to help you. I know it seems to be a little discouraging right now, but do not give up. You may want to try privately owned, or small pharmacies instead of retail chains. Sometimes, liability may be a factor.

Hello. Maybe you can help me. I am externing at Walgreen's right now in Jacksonville Florida. and I am not happy with the lack of support I receive from them. I am asked to fill prescriptions all day and then when I ask questions like (is this out of stock...etc) they act like I am not doing a great job. I made no mistakes at all when it came to drugs and prescriptions. I really want to extern elsewhere. Preferably a Retail or non retail that will properly train me on the computer systems and drive through. I don't like it when I am shadowing a willing PT, and calling doctors for them and answering telephones and then the pharmacist says "can you unload and put away the medications instead?" I have three more weeks of training. I want to come out with quality experience. Also I am looking to work as a Pharmacy Technician. I am graduating next month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dexterfan in Hemet, California

29 months ago

micjames3 in Sacramento, California said: what a jerk-off is that grammarly correct for you.

Hahaha...even your reply is incorrect!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.