Question regarding to PTCB exam

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 101)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

lully in Moosup, Connecticut

49 months ago

NeNeO3 in Texarkana, Arkansas said: I took the exam on June tha 16, but I didnt pass it. Nuthn I had been studying was really on the test. I have tha pharmacy technician third edition book(the green one). Wat book shld I get to study from?

I also have the green book and attended a local college and notmuch of what i had was on the exam! I failed and starting from scratch too.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

VA in Harlingen, Texas

49 months ago

cpht in Joliet, Illinois said: I think its best to take a course for the exam if you do not have any pharmacy experience or even experience in pharmacy school..if you finished a pharmacy course to become a pharmacy technician then it would be a possible to take the exam without a ptcb exam course , because you have learned information from school that will help you on the exam as in advantage also many people self study from books from school or just off the internet...but taking a ptcb course for the exam is a accurate solution, chances are high if you want to pass.

It is true that the surest way to pass the exam is to take a PTCB class, but it is not necessary. The biggest aspects of the exam are the calculations and the knowledge of common drug functions (mostly the word endings). If you do well in those you will pass. The other area of the exam is the one that tests your knowledge of basic pharmacy laws and procedures which are important to know, but not at big part of the exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

NeNeO3 in Texarkana, Arkansas

48 months ago

If pharmacy tech recieves a prescription for insulin what she u do with it???

Cpht_01 in bolingbrook, Illinois

48 months ago

NeNeO3 in Texarkana, Arkansas said: If pharmacy tech recieves a prescription for insulin what she u do with it???

well it all starts off on what the dr directions say (sig) and you start from there..here is an example

Humulin 50/50 insulin
Sig: 6 units every 12 hours #70 units

1)calculate how many times per day patient needs insulin
24 (the 24hour cycle) / 12hours= 2x a day

2)calculate 6 units to the 2x a day
6X2= 12 units will be the amount patient will take per day

3)calculate quanity (70units) with the 12units per day to get day supply
70 / 12= 5 days ---this is how long the insulin will last the patient

crystal zamudio
Pharmacy Rx owner/founder

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

lully in Danielson, Connecticut

48 months ago

lully in Moosup, Connecticut said: I also have the green book and attended a local college and notmuch of what i had was on the exam! I failed and starting from scratch too.......

Along with the green book they gave us a Pharmacy Calculations 2nd Edition by Mary Powers and Janet Wakelin,if you could get your hands on that if not calculations,calulations and the top 200 drugs!!

divyasshah in Jersey City, New Jersey

47 months ago

NeNeO3 in Texarkana, Arkansas said: I took tha exam but didnt pass it. When I take it tha second time will it b harder. R will sum of tha same stuff b on tha test???

Hi..If you need any online guidance,contact sam at ptechsuccess@yahoo.com
He will guide you in such a way that you d able to pass exam within a month.I tried it.Thx.

47 months ago

lully in Moosup, Connecticut said: I also have the green book and attended a local college and notmuch of what i had was on the exam! I failed and starting from scratch too.......

He will guide you in such a way that you d able to pass exam within a month.I tried it.Thx.

47 months ago

Cindy in North Hollywood, California said: ok awesome! thanks Pharmacy Tech Instructon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sobee F. in Fort Worth, Texas

47 months ago

For people looking to just study a book instead of wasting time in class, get "Certification Exam Review for the Pharmacy Technician" by Mike Johnston 2nd Ed. and you should do great. It's a thin book but has just the right needed info. I studied it for 2 weeks straight and just passed it 2 days ago. Just have down the math for sure, conversions, laws & institutions like DEA and FDA, schedule II drugs, and abbreviations and you should be good! There were drug names on the exam, but I didn't study one of the names and I still passed! Everywhere I looked, people told me to study the Mosby review or whatever, but it has way to much extra info thats not even on the test. And on the test, don't spend too much time on one question, you can "flag" it and come back to it at the end, it's best to get the questions you know out the way first.

And if anyone is having trouble with memorizing all the conversions like I did, just ask me and I'll give you an easy way that helped me have them down for the test. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alicia in Frisco, Texas

47 months ago

What did you find was the best way to memorize conversions?

Sobee F. in Fort Worth, Texas said: For people looking to just study a book instead of wasting time in class, get "Certification Exam Review for the Pharmacy Technician" by Mike Johnston 2nd Ed. and you should do great. It's a thin book but has just the right needed info. I studied it for 2 weeks straight and just passed it 2 days ago. Just have down the math for sure, conversions, laws & institutions like DEA and FDA, schedule II drugs, and abbreviations and you should be good! There were drug names on the exam, but I didn't study one of the names and I still passed! Everywhere I looked, people told me to study the Mosby review or whatever, but it has way to much extra info thats not even on the test. And on the test, don't spend too much time on one question, you can "flag" it and come back to it at the end, it's best to get the questions you know out the way first.

And if anyone is having trouble with memorizing all the conversions like I did, just ask me and I'll give you an easy way that helped me have them down for the test. Good luck!

NeNeO3 in Texarkana, Arkansas

47 months ago

Could u please tell me tha easy way to remember the converision factor???

Cpht_01 in bolingbrook, Illinois

47 months ago

NeNeO3 in Texarkana, Arkansas said: Could u please tell me tha easy way to remember the converision factor???

You can study them as flashcards...flashcards are good resources to study anything..give it a try..or you can just keep reviewing it until it has been stuck in your brain (which I did lol)..I have conversions in my site, google Pharmacy Rx by Crystal Zamudio. I hope this can help you in such way. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns: Czamudio18@yahoo.com, you can also contact me in my site.

Have a nice day!

michael in Carson, California

46 months ago

Hi i just wanted to know what is the format on the ptcb exam. is it fill in the blank, multiple choice, or alittle bit of everything? i really appreciate it

susan in Houston, Texas

46 months ago

oh man. i'm taking it today. i haven't been studying that long so i'm really nervous! i took a course on pharmacology in high school, but the teacher didn't really teach us anything. I hope i pass!

susan in Houston, Texas

46 months ago

hey sobee! i wanna know your trick for conversions

Jacob McClure in Salt Lake City, Utah

45 months ago

I took the PTCB and failed I was wondering how long I have to wait before I can retake it and if there is any good sites or resources to review/study and help me prepare for the test. I appreciate any help offered.

CPhT in Plainfield, Illinois

45 months ago

Jacob McClure in Salt Lake City, Utah said: I took the PTCB and failed I was wondering how long I have to wait before I can retake it and if there is any good sites or resources to review/study and help me prepare for the test. I appreciate any help offered.

I am sorry to hear that. Please do not give up and try again. Here is the info you requested provided by PTCB.org

What is PTCB's policy for retaking the PTCE after an unsuccessful attempt?

Candidates who fail the PTCE can retake the PTCE up to three times. After three retakes, candidates will need to appeal to PTCB. All requests will be reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis. For the first two retakes, candidates are required to wait 60 days before taking the PTCE again. For the third retake, candidates are required to wait six months before taking the PTCE again.
For example, if a candidate fails the PTCE (for the first or second time) on May 1, 2010, the candidate can reapply immediately to retake the PTCE, but his/her 90-day eligibility period would not begin until July 1, 2010 (60 days after the failure date) and would extend through September 30, 2010. If a candidate fails the PTCE for the third time on May 1, 2010, the candidate's 90-day eligibility period would not begin until November 1, 2010 (six months after the third failure date). Candidates who pass the PTCE are not eligible to retake it except under extraordinary circumstances.

If you need help with prep you can visit my site <google> Pharmacy Rx by Crystal Zamudio. I will be glad to help you and do my best! Have a good stay. Be strong buddy!

Jacob McClure in Salt Lake City, Utah

45 months ago

CPhT in Plainfield, Illinois said: I am sorry to hear that. Please do not give up and try again. Here is the info you requested provided by PTCB.org

What is PTCB's policy for retaking the PTCE after an unsuccessful attempt?

Candidates who fail the PTCE can retake the PTCE up to three times. After three retakes, candidates will need to appeal to PTCB. All requests will be reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis. For the first two retakes, candidates are required to wait 60 days before taking the PTCE again. For the third retake, candidates are required to wait six months before taking the PTCE again.
For example, if a candidate fails the PTCE (for the first or second time) on May 1, 2010, the candidate can reapply immediately to retake the PTCE, but his/her 90-day eligibility period would not begin until July 1, 2010 (60 days after the failure date) and would extend through September 30, 2010. If a candidate fails the PTCE for the third time on May 1, 2010, the candidate's 90-day eligibility period would not begin until November 1, 2010 (six months after the third failure date). Candidates who pass the PTCE are not eligible to retake it except under extraordinary circumstances.

If you need help with prep you can visit my site <google> Pharmacy Rx by Crystal Zamudio. I will be glad to help you and do my best! Have a good stay. Be strong buddy!

Thank you so much I appreciate it! I really want to pass this thing and become a tech

45 months ago

Jacob McClure in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Thank you so much I appreciate it! I really want to pass this thing and become a tech

You are welcome!

Michael Lewis in Tempe, Arizona

45 months ago

I'm looking for PTCE practice tests, I've stumbled on to www.medpreps.com, has anyone else tried it out? Is it any good?

45 months ago

Michael Lewis in Tempe, Arizona said: I'm looking for PTCE practice tests, I've stumbled on to www.medpreps.com , has anyone else tried it out? Is it any good?

I actually have practice tests for free if you would like to try it out <google> Pharmacy Rx by Crystal Zamudio

I checked out the link you provided it seems you have to pay to be a member and take the test but they do provide a sample test. Give the sample test a try. Good luck

Derek Fields in San Francisco, California

45 months ago

Michael Lewis in Tempe, Arizona said: I'm looking for PTCE practice tests, I've stumbled on to www.medpreps.com , has anyone else tried it out? Is it any good?

I tried www.medpreps.com a few months ago, it's actually perfect for practice tests. The questions are good, and everything is online, which worked much better for me than buying software or whatever else is out there.

Anyone know of any pharmtech jobs in SF? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Thanks Derek! I signed up at medpreps.com, you're right, it's great practice, I wish I stumbled onto this earlier, the test date is so soon...

CPhT in Joliet, Illinois

45 months ago

I have accepted to advertise Medpreps because I agree with their questions they provide to prep for the exam and their content. Also it is affordable!

<google> Pharmacy Rx by Crystal Zamudio

Click "Blogs" link to see advertisement

45 months ago

Yes thanks to you as well Crystal, www.medpreps.com is definitely good bang for the buck. BTW, great blog, I'm going through some of your stuff now!

Haley Swenson in Charlotte, North Carolina

45 months ago

I've done www.medpreps.com, the tests are really good. Really great calculations questions I thought. I'm looking for a calculations study guide though, anyone know of any good free ones out there?

CPhT in Joliet, Illinois

45 months ago

Haley Swenson in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I've done www.medpreps.com , the tests are really good. Really great calculations questions I thought. I'm looking for a calculations study guide though, anyone know of any good free ones out there?

You can give my site a try, hopefully it helps you on your math. Google Pharmacy Rx by Crystal Zamudio,,if you have any questions just contact me via email..czamudio18@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DSTgirl in Bedford, Ohio

45 months ago

Sobee F. in Fort Worth, Texas said: For people looking to just study a book instead of wasting time in class, get "Certification Exam Review for the Pharmacy Technician" by Mike Johnston 2nd Ed. and you should do great. It's a thin book but has just the right needed info. I studied it for 2 weeks straight and just passed it 2 days ago. Just have down the math for sure, conversions, laws & institutions like DEA and FDA, schedule II drugs, and abbreviations and you should be good! There were drug names on the exam, but I didn't study one of the names and I still passed! Everywhere I looked, people told me to study the Mosby review or whatever, but it has way to much extra info thats not even on the test. And on the test, don't spend too much time on one question, you can "flag" it and come back to it at the end, it's best to get the questions you know out the way first.

Please, would you share your tips for memorizing all the conversions? Thank You!

DSTgirl in Bedford, Ohio

45 months ago

Please Sobee F, in Fort Worth, Texas, would you share your tips on memorizing all of the conversions. I'm preparing for the exam soon and would really like to feel confident about those conversions. Please help? What about those 200 brand names and corresponding generic names for medications. How much of this listing is really on the exam?

Sunsetica in Boca Raton, Florida

44 months ago

BIKERTECHGIRL said: HI JL,

I'M IN HOUSTON ALSO! MY TEST HAD A BIT OF EVERYTHING, PLEASE STUDY CALCULATIONS. I HAD FORMAL TRAINING BUT I ALSO STUDIED USING MOSBY'S REVIEW FOR THE PHARMACY CERTIFICATION EXAMINATION BOOK. A CALCULATOR WILL BE PROVIDED. I MUST SAY THAT I STARTED TO GET NERVOUS ABOUT ALL OF THE PALM SCANNING THEN I DID ABOUT THE TEST. THE INITIAL PROCESS IS NERVE-WRECKING...GOOD LUCK!!!

Hello! I looked that book that you studied from online and it looks like a very good book! do you recommend it for the PTCB test? and also does this book cover a lot of the calculation part?
Thank you:)

Houston, Texas in Houston, Texas

44 months ago

I knew very good the calculations, I also knew the conversions but I did not remember more then 10 brand names for the generic names. Actually, the drugs was 270 pages from a 550 pages book, (generic name/ brand name/ drugs, food interaction..) it took me about 75% of my study time and it was just way to much information for my had to remember, I still didn't knew anything, I was frustrated and angry about this. There is more then just a few question about drugs on the exam but I think this question don't gain to much because I had a good score on my exam, or.. maybe I was lucky to chose the right answers.
I start working in the pharmacy now and I thought I won't be able to do a good job because I don't know the brand names, not even generic names and have no idea about the drugs interaction. My trainer told me to not worry about this because the computer shows automatically the brand names and the interactions and that in a little while I will know every drug very good, working with it everyday.
If I would have to take the exam again tomorrow, I would make sure I know very good the calculations, the inventory, the laws and assisting the pharmacy in serving patients. No stress or time loss for drugs. Those a good to know but.. If can't, will be ok.

ron in Lexington, Kentucky

44 months ago

Sha in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I am sorry i misunderstood what u asked for .....

Why did you misunderstand? NO EXCUSE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tezibe in Bowie, Maryland

42 months ago

please could you tell me how to memorize all the conversions, i ll be taking my exam tomorrow. please i need it ASAP.
THANKKS

boomer in Howard Beach, New York

42 months ago

hi ,,,, i completed my MS in pharmacology and toxicology and did 2 years as a pharmacy tech in ny ... i manage the entire store with an old pharmacist who just sits there and does nothing
i know almost all the drugs and basic conversions calculations, laws,like HIPPA , FDA, PPA etc..so is there any other area where i should be good with ..please let me know my exam is on the 5th of feb////

VC_VC in Taft, California

40 months ago

Well my manager wants me to get my tech license, so I can start working in the pharmacy instead of a front end clerk, but I have no idea how or what to study to take the ptcb exam. I'm not sure what materials I would need because they want me to study myself and not go to any classes. So, I was wondering if you could let me know how I could get started because it is very difficult for me right now. Thank You.

Aida in Scottsdale, Arizona

37 months ago

I,ve been studying from my pharmacy tech certification review work book for about a month and so far memorized all the organ system root words, the common prefixes and suffixes, majority of the pharmacy abbreviations and have semi gotten the math part down as well but I'm still having low hopes of passing and a little intimidated by the exam but I was wondering whether memorizing the 200 drug names and their generics are necessary and also wanted to know which other major terms or laws I would have to know by heart in order to help me more on the test.

Etopn in Euless, Texas

37 months ago

Aida in Scottsdale, Arizona said: I,ve been studying from my pharmacy tech certification review work book for about a month and so far memorized all the organ system root words, the common prefixes and suffixes, majority of the pharmacy abbreviations and have semi gotten the math part down as well but I'm still having low hopes of passing and a little intimidated by the exam but I was wondering whether memorizing the 200 drug names and their generics are necessary and also wanted to know which other major terms or laws I would have to know by heart in order to help me more on the test.

Mate, I didn't study any drugs. I just studied conversions, calculations, and laws.

I passed the test easily. Literally spent 6 days studying 1-2 hours a day.

It's not as hard as you think it is. I didn't memorize any of the drug names... it isn't necessary.

ashe in Wylie, Texas

36 months ago

Chjllll

divyasshah in Jersey City, New Jersey said: Hi..If you need any online guidance,contact sam at ptechsuccess@yahoo.com

ASH in Corpus Christi, Texas

36 months ago

YES I HAVIN TROUBLE MEMORIZING THE CONVERSIONS, SO SHOW WHICH WAY U LEARNED THEM! REALLY WOULD APPRECIATE IT!! THANKS

Cp in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

35 months ago

i live in baton rouge,la if anybody from this area has the test recently can u tell me if the test is hard and should what should i concentrate on?

dimplez in Chicago, Illinois

33 months ago

Cindy in Van Nuys, California said: JACKIE, you have 3 chances all together ;)

i took the dam test four times an failed so now what will i be able to take it again?

ann in Livingston, Texas

33 months ago

With all the knowledge and informative info what's really the best book to invest money on

Vick in Garden Grove, California

31 months ago

Does anyone know if I can take the ptcb exam without taking any classes? I'm currently working at a private pharmacy as a clerk for over a year already and want to take the ptcb exam but when I applied I stumble on questions that asked "In total, how long have you worked full- and/or part-time AS A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN? On average, how many hours per week do you work AS A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN? & Please select the primary method for your training AS A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN." I'm not a technician yet and I want to take this test to become one, but I can't apply if they ask me these questions on the application. Maybe I have to go to a different website for the test? I'm really new and still browsing around looking for answers. Can someone help me?

jay2006

17 months ago

tezibe in Bowie, Maryland said: please could you tell me how to memorize all the conversions, i ll be taking my exam tomorrow. please i need it ASAP.
THANKKS

Please any tips helpful to a person who hates math is greatly appreciated......as well as formulas

LxN781 in Massachusetts

15 months ago

And if anyone is having trouble with

Caity in Hillsboro, Oregon

11 months ago

Hi everyone, I am planning on study self for the PTCB Exam, but I have no pharmacy experience or background, and my budget is tight so I decided to study self. Please anyone took the test please give me some advice or any tips to pass the test? Any recommend books would be great too. And are the online books for PTCB reparation different to the books provided from college? Thanks a lot

wavelight in Watsonville, California

10 months ago

Hi I just passed my ptcb exam last week.

Selling my books

If you like the ebay links, email me wavelight11@gmail.com

wavelight in Watsonville, California

10 months ago

actually here is the link for the books www.ebay.com/usr/wavelightthesmiths

PTCBEASY in San Francsico, California

21 days ago

HELLO IF YOU ARE STRUGGLING PASSING THE PTCB EXAM OR SCARED NEED THAT EXTRA ASSURANCE.YOU DONT NEED A TUTOR, YOU JUST NEED THE RIGHT TOOLS. IM HAPPY TO HELP, I WILL PROVIDE YOU ALL THE TOOLS I USED TO PASS THE PTCB ON THE FIRST ATTEMPT.I SCORED HIGH ON THE EXAM, I SPENT COUNTLESS HOURS AND HOURS, HARD WORK TO FIND THESE TOOLS.
IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE PLEASE EMAIL ME AT ptcbeasy@gmail.com

PTCBEASY in San Francsico, California

20 days ago

<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
function MM_displayStatusMsg(msgStr) {
status=msgStr;
document.MM_returnValue = true;
}
</script>

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.