Register with Florida

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

Hendrik C in Tampa, Florida

45 months ago

Hi I just passed the PTCB exam and I was wondering what to do next. I read on the forums here to register with my state (FL).

Where do I go to get my license? Should I wait for my test results to come in first?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa R. in Winter Park, Florida

45 months ago

Hendrik C in Tampa, Florida said: Hi I just passed the PTCB exam and I was wondering what to do next. I read on the forums here to register with my state (FL).

Where do I go to get my license? Should I wait for my test results to come in first?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Here is the info I think you are looking for:

www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/pharmacy/index.html

Scroll down a little and you will see some info about Pharmacy Techs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lequinta in East Lansing, Michigan

45 months ago

I went to this website but it says it requires that a person complete a formal training program. I passed the PTCB without completing a formal program because I currently work as a pharm tech. Is anyone familiar with whether or not my PTCB certification will be accepted in Florida regardless of whether I did a formal education program???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

jack in Jacksonville, Florida

44 months ago

PTCB national board is equivalent a trainig program approved by Florida Board of Pharmacy ??? Note, applicants for first license .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SparklingMwah in Port Saint Joe, Florida

44 months ago

The PTCB will not be accepted in Florida. I actually called them the other day and asked them the same thing!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Danielle in Fort Myers, Florida

43 months ago

If you work for a company like CVS they often provide training programs for you and these programs are certified as formal training. I used my CVS training to get my Florida license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hendrik C in Tampa, Florida

43 months ago

Update:
So I got a position at Sweetbay Supermarket, but now I am not sure if I can keep the job because I am certified but not registered by the Florida Board of Pharmacy. EVen the pharmacist here is unsure about teh whole process. I have a certification but cannot get registered with the state because I do not have a course completion! apparently new rule as of 2011.

Cliffs:
Got pharmacy tech certification (took test)
Cannot register with Florida because I did not complete a course
What can I do??

aloha in Honolulu, Hawaii

43 months ago

Hendrik C in Tampa, Florida said: Update:
So I got a position at Sweetbay Supermarket, but now I am not sure if I can keep the job because I am certified but not registered by the Florida Board of Pharmacy. EVen the pharmacist here is unsure about teh whole process. I have a certification but cannot get registered with the state because I do not have a course completion! apparently new rule as of 2011.

Cliffs:
Got pharmacy tech certification (took test)
Cannot register with Florida because I did not complete a course
What can I do??

PTCB certification is accredited by National Commission Certifying Agencies. I am sure state of Florida will accept your certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

SparklingMwah in Indianapolis, Indiana

43 months ago

aloha in Honolulu, Hawaii said: PTCB certification is accredited by National Commission Certifying Agencies. I am sure state of Florida will accept your certification.

I called the Florida State Board of Pharmacy, and they told me they will not accept the test. I was in the same situation but with a hospital, and was unable to get registered with my certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

tammy l in Madison, Connecticut

42 months ago

A little confused on the new law in florida .I finished the penn foster pharmacy tehcnician course and will be moving to florida only to find out they wont except it!?
1 is there any distant learning schools they do except ..example ashworth?
2. can you work in any pharmacy as an aide to accumulate hours to take test or did they get rid of that to.I thought i saw 1,500 hours before ,but could be wrong
they cant all be technicians in cvs,walgreens,walmart,rite aide so it needs more deetailed explaining.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SparklingMwah in Port Saint Joe, Florida

42 months ago

No, Florida will not accept it. I went to Penn Foster along with Ashworth, but Florida doesn't accept any distant learning programs that I know of!

Before January 1st, 2011 an individual could become registered if they 1) completed an approved board training program, 2) passed a national certification examination, or 3) worked 1500 under the supervision of a pharmacist.

You can get a pharmacy technician job with a large company such as Walgreens or CVS, but they will put you threw the training with their company that is approved by Florida state boards

Kellie in Willowbrook, Illinois

42 months ago

SparklingMwah in Indianapolis, Indiana said: I called the Florida State Board of Pharmacy, and they told me they will not accept the test. I was in the same situation but with a hospital, and was unable to get registered with my certification.

Florida has stricter requirements than most states. Do you reseach, and make sure your program is accreditted before you take it. Check out my blog at blog.mkedu.org/ for more information about starting a career in healthcare.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenn in Lake Mary, Florida

40 months ago

aloha in Honolulu, Hawaii said: PTCB certification is accredited by National Commission Certifying Agencies. I am sure state of Florida will accept your certification.

No, unfortunately they don't ;(

fernosky in Pompano Beach, Florida

40 months ago

Yes they will you need to Register in Florida with you School Diploma
You need both National Certification and Florida Registration.
Need to look for forms online CPHT Florida Registration

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

No ,they will not accept PTCb certification ,only if you had completed an approved training program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shy in Palatka, Florida

38 months ago

I have a question similar to many of the questions posted above. I went on the website to apply to take the ptce(florida)and was wondering did I need any formal training before I was allowed to take it because of the new rules as of 2011. If I will be allowed to take it without training, upon passing it would I be required to get formal training before I can become registered and apply to work in the pharmacy of Walmart which I am currently employeed with? All this is to ask will I be required to work in a Florida Walmart pharmacy as a technician without any formal training and if so how long and what education would I need in order to leave Walmart after a few years and work in a hospital setting as a pharmacy technician

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Robbie in Hollywood, Florida

38 months ago

I'm in the same situation.

Passed the PTCB exam mid July this year. Only to find out that to "register" with the Florida BoP, thus work as a CPhT in the state of FL, I need a certificate of completion of the Board approved training program.

Taken from the The Pharmacy Tecnhician Registration Application and Instructions pdf from
www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/pharmacy/ph_applicantinformation.html

www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/pharmacy/ap_phtech.pdf

Top of page 3

"Requirements for Florida Pharmacy Technician Registration
Effective January 1, 2011, any person who wishes to work as a pharmacy technician in the State of Florida must register with the Board of Pharmacy. To register with the Board of Pharmacy, an applicant must submit the following items:
Pharmacy Technician Registration Application
$105.00 Fee ($50.00 non-refundable application fee, $50.00 registration fee, $5.00 unlicensed application fee)
Proof of completion of a board-approved pharmacy technician-training program."

I've been reading that there are programs with some Employers that can satisfy this "certificate of completion" requirement without having to go to a Pharm Tech school. I haven't found any specifics as of yet, but I'll post when I can vertify with some certainty.

38 months ago

You don't need experience to write the PTCB exam. But you must study for the exam to pass.
Answer truthfully the questions PTCB asks when you sign up/register to write/sit the exam.

However, passing the PTCP is a moot point if you're unable to satisfy the "Proof of completion of a board-approved pharmacy technician-training program" criteria inorder to register with the Florida BoP. And thus, work as a CPhT in FL.

www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/pharmacy/ph_applicantinformation.html
www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/pharmacy/ap_ptrtps.pdf

38 months ago

Just found the answer that may be the hope to those of us who did not/do not want to attend PharmTech school but passed the PTCB. And need to satisfy the criteria #3 to register with FlBoP.

bottom of page 1:
www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/pharmacy/ap_ptrtps.pdf

"
Additionally, many employer-based programs have been approved by the Florida Board of Pharmacy and can be found on the Department of Health website, License Verification, under the profession, "Pharmacy Technician Training Programs".

ww2.doh.state.fl.us/IRM00PRAES/PRASLIST.ASP

enter only into the following:

Profession: Pharmacy Technician Training Program
County: (your county)

leave the others blank.

and search for Training programs in your county. Best of luck.

nany in Orlando, Florida

38 months ago

hello, I am pharmacist, but I am from cuba.What can I do to become pharmacy technician in florida??

any help please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

nany in Orlando, Florida said: hello, I am pharmacist, but I am from cuba.What can I do to become pharmacy technician in florida??

any help please.

If you can send me your email ,I can help you with some advice while search for CVS or Walgreens .Buena suerte

nany in Orlando, Florida

38 months ago

thanks maricelpazvia@yahoo.es

Yessims in Perry, Georgia

38 months ago

Take ptcb. Get a job at walgreens or cvs and they'll get u registered in Florida. Just started on Friday gettin registered with walgreens

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Farah in Land O Lakes, Florida

35 months ago

Hello everyone,

I am a foreign pharmacist , and have also the PTCB. What can I do to register with the State of Florida.

Please Help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

saddened in Port Charlotte, Florida

26 months ago

I have been a Certified with PTCB since the year 2000, never has it lapsed. I re-certified July 31 2010 evidently before this new rule passed as of January 2011...Keep in mind it is expiring the end of this month, so I did my 20 hrs continuing education as usual and I re-certified today. Once I receive the new certification, I will be good PTCB going towards 14 years come July 31 2014. I did not work the year of 2010 when apparently all this new ruling took place, as (I was not working)...my dad was ill and passed the same yr. I am a bit outraged by all this because the closest school from me is almost 2 hrs one way and costs an outrageous amount of money. It seems silly that I have worked as a Senior CPhT at retail chains for all this time and that matters none because of a law I wasn't aware of. I refuse to attend a training program with as much experience as I have. It's insulting. Technically I have 10,000 hrs under my belt and currently 12 years PTCB certified. I could have been grandfathered in for $105.00 if I would have known???? Seems like there should be something I can do to get around this. I'm really speechless for words here. I am guessing my only chance from reading all these posts is to try and get a job at CVS? Thanks very much for any advice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

buttercup26 in Hickory, North Carolina

13 months ago

saddened in Port Charlotte, Florida said: I have been a Certified with PTCB since the year 2000, never has it lapsed. I re-certified July 31 2010 evidently before this new rule passed as of January 2011...Keep in mind it is expiring the end of this month, so I did my 20 hrs continuing education as usual and I re-certified today. Once I receive the new certification, I will be good PTCB going towards 14 years come July 31 2014. I did not work the year of 2010 when apparently all this new ruling took place, as (I was not working)...my dad was ill and passed the same yr. I am a bit outraged by all this because the closest school from me is almost 2 hrs one way and costs an outrageous amount of money. It seems silly that I have worked as a Senior CPhT at retail chains for all this time and that matters none because of a law I wasn't aware of. I refuse to attend a training program with as much experience as I have. It's insulting. Technically I have 10,000 hrs under my belt and currently 12 years PTCB certified. I could have been grandfathered in for $105.00 if I would have known???? Seems like there should be something I can do to get around this. I'm really speechless for words here. I am guessing my only chance from reading all these posts is to try and get a job at CVS ? Thanks very much for any advice

I am in pretty much the same situation you are except I live in NC, trying to move to FL and I have never let my registration lapse. NC has the same criteria for registration as FL so I was grandfathered in here but I can't work in FL until I take the training course. I have been certified since 2004 and have 13 years experience as a pharmacy tech. I applied for FL registration last July b/c I was moving down then but my application was denied b/c I was not aware of the "law" that was passed in 2011. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale in 2004 and had no problem getting registered witht he state. I have spent a year trying to figure out how to take this class.

JaniceT in Medford, Oregon

9 months ago

I am nationally certified through PTCB as a Pharmacy Tech and have over 17 years of experience. When a new student comes from the local community college to begin training as a tech in our hospital, I am the one that typically trains them. In May 2012 my 20 year old daughter died and so I recently decided I wanted to relocate to Florida to be with my other daughter because she is all I have now. I am soooo beyond disgusted with this "tech training program" crap that Florida's Board of Pharmacy thought up that I don't know what to do anymore! I cannot believe there are no other options set forth for people that are in my situation, moving there from out of state. Who thinks this stuff up? I can bet my life on it that somehow money is behind this new law. All the programs boast of how a graduate will be ready to take the certification test at the end of the program. Wow! I've already done that a long time ago.. so if I go through one of these programs, I wonder if they'll give me a huge discount for already being nationally certified? Not a chance, I'm sure. Not that it will help, but I am definitely going to be writing the board about this. Certain allowances need to be made!

Gilley in Pensacola, Florida

9 months ago

JaniceT in Medford, Oregon said: I am nationally certified through PTCB as a Pharmacy Tech and have over 17 years of experience. When a new student comes from the local community college to begin training as a tech in our hospital, I am the one that typically trains them. In May 2012 my 20 year old daughter died and so I recently decided I wanted to relocate to Florida to be with my other daughter because she is all I have now. I am soooo beyond disgusted with this "tech training program" crap that Florida's Board of Pharmacy thought up that I don't know what to do anymore! I cannot believe there are no other options set forth for people that are in my situation, moving there from out of state. Who thinks this stuff up? I can bet my life on it that somehow money is behind this new law. All the programs boast of how a graduate will be ready to take the certification test at the end of the program. Wow! I've already done that a long time ago.. so if I go through one of these programs, I wonder if they'll give me a huge discount for already being nationally certified? Not a chance, I'm sure. Not that it will help, but I am definitely going to be writing the board about this. Certain allowances need to be made!

It's garbage I know, have been a PTCB certified since 07 and now I can't get a job in Florida anywhere else either...they are rude and useless when I attempted to call them...just a money scam in my opinion.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.