"Rethink the Pharmacy Technican Career Path"

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 53)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

M.J.R. in El Cajon, California

86 months ago

It is not time consuming to get certified to be a technician... It takes less than a year, and if you find the right school, it can cost around 1000.00 dollars. So there is not loan to repay after you finish the program, because you can pay for this fairly easily... This amount includes the price of books and other things needed, like a background check and uniform and badge for the final class. And if you are a 2 parent household, you can have a house, kids, car and this job, along with Insurance..especially if you get a tech job in a hospital pharmacy, the insurance will be better and most likely cheaper. You should be having the insurance taken out of your check anyways, which would make it easier to pay for. Out of pocket insurances tend to be more expensive than those you get through the employer.
I agree if you are a single parent you may not be able to survive on a tech salary....
To go back to school just to get a few more dollars an hour is more expensive.. Then you are taking the extra amount you are making and putting toward the loan you have to repay, which will probably take you 5+ years to pay off. So you will still be making the same amount as a tech....

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Big Murff in Vallejo, California

86 months ago

M.J.R. in El Cajon, California said: ..especially if you get a tech job in a hospital pharmacy, the insurance will be better and most likely cheaper.
I agree if you are a single parent you may not be able to survive on a tech salary....
To go back to school just to get a few more dollars an hour is more expensive..

I can agree with you to a certain extent, but it truly depends on the location of where you are trying to apply. In fact here in the Bay Area, which is in Northern California for out of state people, landing any job within a top facility like Kaiser, or Sutter Health, big name places is near impossible in the first place. They require all applicants to have years of experience, plus every title under your belt that you can think of, every test and license you could obtain, and in most cases, they still won't hire you! I have a good friend who was working 3 years as a licensed retail PT. He was also PTCB cert. He recently got denied when applying to work at Standford Medical Center as an inpatient PT and as a topper, he did his externs back at Kaiser in an inpatient pharmacy, rare luck down here! It doesn't make sense, our health system complains about shortage of staff within when they won't provide enough positions to begin with in the first place. Unless you are an MD or have a PharmD, or have a Bachleors or higher in something, you are out of luck down here in the Bay! Some get lucky, but that's 1:300 graduates here. The rest ends up making Chump Change for their hard work. You'd be better working your life off at In & Out burgers for a smooth $10/hr.

If you go back to school, go back to be the pharmacist. Unlike PT's who do almost all the pharmacist's work and yet get paid RATS PAY, Pharmacists get paid a full figure more than us annually, enough to buy one house per year cash where I come from. I'd rather spend tens of thousands more, to earn hundreds of thousands back.

Reply - Report abuse

yardleyed in Morrisville, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

The pharmacist technician will be in great demand, especially as the role of the pharmacist diminishes to being the supervisor of technicians and not much else. I agree that hospital work is much better. Retail pharmacies pay poorly, and work the employees hard. You might as well get a job as a clerk in the drug store and sell cigarettes and candies. I am a registered pharmacist who sees the handwriting on the wall- there will be a glut of pharmacists but a need for technicians- especially as computer systems become more sophisticated and consumer friendly.

Reply - Report abuse

jcolome

85 months ago

M.J.R. in El Cajon, California said: It is not time consuming to get certified to be a technician... It takes less than a year, and if you find the right school, it can cost around 1000.00 dollars. So there is not loan to repay after you finish the program, because you can pay for this fairly easily... This amount includes the price of books and other things needed, like a background check and uniform and badge for the final class. And if you are a 2 parent household, you can have a house, kids, car and this job, along with Insurance..especially if you get a tech job in a hospital pharmacy, the insurance will be better and most likely cheaper. You should be having the insurance taken out of your check anyways, which would make it easier to pay for. Out of pocket insurances tend to be more expensive than those you get through the employer.
To go back to school just to get a few more dollars an hour is more expensive.. Then you are taking the extra amount you are making and putting toward the loan you have to repay, which will probably take you 5+ years to pay off. So you will still be making the same amount as a tech....

That's truly amazing considering there is a school in Miami, Fl that charges students 13,000 (that's not a typo) 13 thousand dollars to become a pharmacy tech and students pay this!!!

There should be regulations against this

Reply - Report abuse

BrutalHonestTech in Glendale, Arizona

85 months ago

I have been a certified pharmacy technician for over 5 years. It is not worth the time and effort to take the PTCB and become a pharmacy tech. I actually had to take a pay cut to become one. You actually don't even have to go to school to become a pharmacy technician. I was hired at a pharmacy as a "pharmacy tech trainee", which is a license from the BOard of Pharmacy for which you have 2 years to become certified. School is worthless for this occupation, on the job training is more valuable and teaches much, much more than you can learn in a classroom. Also, technicians do most of the work and the pharmacists get ALL of the glory and also get paid about $70,000 more a year to do so. Most of them would rather die than give credit to a tech who just sat on the phone with a patients insurance company trying to get their medication covered. Instead, when the patient thanks the pharmacist profusely and tells them how wonderful they are, the "wonderful" pharmacist just says thank you and smiles at his/her greatness while the tech continues to fill prescriptions and answer the telephone. It is not enough to raise a family on but it is ok for a second income. If you are seeking a "career" this is not a good one as technicians are looked at as bottom feeders of the medical world because there is no degree involved. But if you are seeking a job as a pharmacist this is a great opportunity to see what it's like to work in a box all day and do most of the work while you get paid a fraction of what your pharmacist makes. If you are looking for a far better career, become an RN which usually only requires an associates degree. Best of luck to everyone!! Keep your head high!! :)

Reply - Report abuse

samantha in Addison, Illinois

85 months ago

For one the role of pharmacist will never diminish unless the company wants to pay millions of dollars in lawsuits.

Secondly don't give up hope looking, just don't wste money on prograns which some cost up to 12k, when most places will in house training,

Your not "wasting" money on an education. Education is an investment. I spent 90k on mine and yes I'm still paying on my loans but also landed a nice comfy 80k job. Took some years working up to it but can't say its not worth it.

Pharm tech can be a great career, they just don't pay like they should. I did it for 9 years
Then maxed out and sadly got laid off cuz they were paying me too much at 18.hr.

Just don't think of it as wasting money in education by spending alittle more to be a tradesman or something. A few extra dollars an hour can mean a huge difference and you have to look at room for growth. I'm only 26 but have noticed most people look for immediate success or look I graduated now give me upper management. You have to work a couple ot crappy years to get experience.

If you are having a hard time with finding a job as a pharm tech, I can suggest maybe also considering options as a pharmacy clerk or something like that. Its not tech staus but it gets you in the door and pharmacy operations experience.

Reply - Report abuse

JustmefromSFLA in Hollywood, Florida

84 months ago

I wish I'd known this 5 yeasr ago. I agree, NOT worth it!

Reply - Report abuse

PharmTech in Wheaton, Illinois

84 months ago

If you're looking for a dead end job, you've found it. Pharmacy technician position is just that. You work your butt off, run around all day like a hamster in a wheel, deal with ignorant customers and upper management, always short staffed, earn $10-14 and hour with no room to grow.

If you need a temp job, this is a great place, but as career - look elsewhere. You cannot make a living by working as a pharmacy tech. I've been working for a local retail pharmacy for over 5 years and I'm burnt out. I've been there while I was taking my pre-reqs to apply for pharmacy schools, but after working there I don't even want to be a pharmacist. Sure, you get paid loads of money, but there is a trade off - you go insane and have no life!

Reply - Report abuse

ttn09 in San Jose, California in Modesto, California

84 months ago

I totally agree with you. This field is high stress and low pay, not worth it. I feel regretful for going to an accredited junior college in Northern California couple years ago to get my AS in phamarcy technology. Will have to go back to school and try another healthcare major. My advice: neither go for pharmacy technician or dental assistant----------->cheap fields/no room for growth.

Reply - Report abuse

JimSC72 in Modesto, California

84 months ago

This job is so unfair. The tech does all the works (prescription fillings, phone answerings, stocking & receiving, customer services (usually daily nightmares) etc) and the pharmacist gets all the credits. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, at Walmart retail pharmacy, I started out at 12.00/hour approximately 26-27K annually including few bonuses, while the Walmart pharmacists makes 60.00/hour with their quarterly bonuses, they make around 140K/year plus bad-mouthing all the techs whenever they have chances. Better try another career!

Reply - Report abuse

Malissa in Spring Hill, Florida

84 months ago

I have to partially agree and partially disagree with most of these statements. Before my son was born in 08 I was working for CVS/Pharmacy for some time. I must say that I loved my job! I loved my co-workers, my bosses, my customers, the feeling of being needed and depended on, etc. After several months I became a Lead Tech. I wasn't certified through the state at that time, however, cvs DID in-house train me and I was certified through the Board of Health and through my company. I started out at 10/HR, which, here in Florida, is MUCH more than you make at ANY fast food or pizza joint. No, on that salary alone, you can not support a house hold, however, it is a nice, comfy 2nd income and I am married, raising 2 children and a care taker for my Grandmother who lives with us aswell. My benefits were outstanding. Yes, the techs do do ALL the work, but the Pharmacists DID go to school for 6 (now-a-days more) years to get to where they're at. Lets not forget that most of them (around here atleast) are pulling 12(+) hour shifts, plus they have all the knowledge that we(techs) do not. They are the ones that answer all of those questions comming from the patients about combining certain medications, allergies, reactions, etc,etc. My Father-in-law is a Pharmacist and has been for about 30 years now so I know how it is from BOTH sides of he fence. Also, In fl, I know of COUNTLESS online or on campus programs that will certify you for $1000.00 or LESS! If you are just looking for fast training in a field that can be rewarding if you let it and you only need it as a second income than I would say, go for it! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...who knows, maybe I just got lucky and landed my job as a tech at a great retail pharmacy.

Reply - Report abuse

flyonthewall in Sacramento, California

84 months ago

I just got a job making $21 an hour right out of school. Stop complaining!I can think of plenty of jobs that pay much less and most jobs have a lot of stress so deal with it.

Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

You're right Flyonthewall... If they are SO misserable, they should switch fields or work somewhere else...

Reply - Report abuse

flyonthewall in Sacramento, California

84 months ago

BrutalHonestTech in Glendale, Arizona said: I have been a certified pharmacy technician for over 5 years. It is not worth the time and effort to take the PTCB and become a pharmacy tech. I actually had to take a pay cut to become one. You actually don't even have to go to school to become a pharmacy technician. I was hired at a pharmacy as a "pharmacy tech trainee", which is a license from the BOard of Pharmacy for which you have 2 years to become certified. School is worthless for this occupation, on the job training is more valuable and teaches much, much more than you can learn in a classroom. Also, technicians do most of the work and the pharmacists get ALL of the glory and also get paid about $70,000 more a year to do so. Most of them would rather die than give credit to a tech who just sat on the phone with a patients insurance company trying to get their medication covered. Instead, when the patient thanks the pharmacist profusely and tells them how wonderful they are, the "wonderful" pharmacist just says thank you and smiles at his/her greatness while the tech continues to fill prescriptions and answer the telephone. It is not enough to raise a family on but it is ok for a second income. If you are seeking a "career" this is not a good one as technicians are looked at as bottom feeders of the medical world because there is no degree involved. But if you are seeking a job as a pharmacist this is a great opportunity to see what it's like to work in a box all day and do most of the work while you get paid a fraction of what your pharmacist makes. If you are looking for a far better career, become an RN which usually only requires an associates degree. Best of luck to everyone!! Keep your head high!! :)

You should try to get an inpatient hospital Tech job. Better pay, no bitching customers/ insurance issues....really no mindless pill counting either....they usually require school nowadays tho. Theres a lot more skill required as a hospital tec

Reply - Report abuse

BrutalHonestTech in Glendale, Arizona

84 months ago

flyonthewall in Sacramento, California said: You should try to get an inpatient hospital Tech job. Better pay, no bitching customers/ insurance issues....really no mindless pill counting either....they usually require school nowadays tho. Theres a lot more skill required as a hospital tec

I am going to school to get my RN...this is simply a stepping stone.
And to Malissa, the whole point of this little chat is to give people considering becoming a CPhT a point of view from a real pharmacy technician not to make it sound wonderful.

Reply - Report abuse

vicodinfury in seattle, Washington

84 months ago

lol, so much drama. I work in a retail pharmacy making $18/hr it pays the bills for now, my girlfriend is in hospital making same hrly but her benefits are incredible. Definitely go hospital if u can. Much less stress craby customers ruins this profession. fortunately i work with the nicest pharmacists who have respect for the techs and their duties. But IMO choose another career.

Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

BrutalHonestTech in Glendale, Arizona said: I am going to school to get my RN...this is simply a stepping stone.
And to Malissa, the whole point of this little chat is to give people considering becoming a CPhT a point of view from a real pharmacy technician not to make it sound wonderful.

I'm sorry but I was a "REAL" pharmacy Tech. I'm not sure what you misunderstood. I'm not trying to make it seem wonderful. I'm giving my point of view. In my state and the store I was working at, it was pretty ideal (as long as you're not expecting to make hundreds of thousands a year) I was lucky and landed a good job surrounded by great staff/bosses, so what I'm saying is that it is possible to land a job as a pharmacy tech and actually enjoy it as long as your expectations don't run too high! If being a tech is so horrible and misserable for everyone on here, then why not find another field to work in? I would never stay at a job that I hated so passionately... And I'm trying to make all these ppl who are saying ," boo-hoo, I do all the work, the pharmacist do nothing" realize WHY the pharmacist may not do as much physical labor. They hold all the responsibility! It's their ass on the line if a tech slips up and puts the wrong pill in the bottle or writes the wrong instructions, etc,etc....the pharmacist gets paid the big bucks to verify EVERYTHING that goes in and out of the pharmacy. THAT was my point of view. Sorry if you didn't like it.

Reply - Report abuse

confusedpharmacytechin training in Athens, Texas

83 months ago

ok i am so confused, i thought this was a good field to go into, but listening to everyone on here im having second thoughts. i have been doing self studying and also working at a retail pharmacy, i have to take the exam by the end of february,and just wanted to know how hard is it, and also what should i really be focusing on studying to pass it.

Reply - Report abuse

HK2010 in Jacksonville, North Carolina

82 months ago

It looks great with any combination of higher training. I'm getting a nursing degree and having this qualification has helped a bunch!

Reply - Report abuse

CPhT Online in Tempe, Arizona

82 months ago

You don't need to go to school to become a pharmacy tech. You can study yourself and take the exam. I became certified on my own and started at over $15 an hour without any prior experience. Check out cphtonline.com for more info on how to become certified on your own.

Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Kent, Ohio

82 months ago

It seems like there is a lot of whining going on in this forum. "You have to answer he phoooooones; the phaaaaaaarmacist gets all the creeeeeedit." Typically, jobs involves WORK -- you actually have to DO THINGS to get paid. If you want the pharmacist's job, go to pharmacy school. If you want to spend a year or so training for a job, then become a pharmacy tech. SOMEONE has to answer the phones; they don't answer themselves. Most jobs involve answering phones and dealing with customers -- hello? Try working in a call center if you think answering phones in a pharmacy is bad. I worked as a pharmacy tech before I moved on to other things, and it was not what I consider to be hard work -- but then again, so few people want to actually WORK these days ...

Reply - Report abuse

Overtime King in La Jolla, California

82 months ago

Show up early
Shut up
Bust your butt off
Clock out late- when manager asks why, just say "patient care." -cant get fired for this!
Master Pyxis and other technology
Pick up extra shifts- no, I mean pick up extra shifts! Talk to people. Find out when they are planning to go on vaction, call in sick, or just plain ol' quit. Example: Work for 4 nights, then after your 4th night go home and get some rest. Wake up @ around 5-6pm, then go right back to bed at 10pm. Wake up at 5am and put your happy face on cuz youz about to work another 8 hours from 6am to 430pm. Heck, I know its not ideal working conditions, but really, is there such a thing? Sometimes you just have to suck it up. . .

When your manager asks for holiday requests your answer should be, "None, sir/ma'am." I'll cover all holidays (salary x 1.5 or even x2).
Volunteer to be the oncall person.
Get the nurses to love you and your services
Take one vacation a year for at least 2 weeks perferable in early June. Why? People tend to take time off mid to late June through the holidays up until Feb. Oh, and coincidenlty enough, its also flu season around that time. WTF? what does that have to do with anything? Well, healthcare workers also get the flu, so view it as an opportunity for overtime!!! cha ching! before you know it, your working 1 full time job, 1 part time job, and picking up overtime. . . Recession? what recession (sinister laugh). Live below your means and don't borrow money or buy "stuff."! Pharmacy tech is a great profession for OverTime and medical benefits baby! Example: giving birth costs about $12,000. but with hospital insurance (inpatient pharm tech) your co-pay (if any) will be $200 at your local kaiser, maybe less with other hospitals around the area. Not bad if the ol' battle axe wants to have a legion of crumb snathers.

Reply - Report abuse

Pmathers in Miami, Florida

82 months ago

Or you can sell all your kids and possessions and move to Costa Rica. USA is in trouble BIG TIME and no relieve in sight.

Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Lawrenceville, Georgia

81 months ago

I just started working as a pharmacy Tech at Walgreen and I hate it!! I just graduated from school for pharmacy tech and I feel that Walgreen is not a good pharmacy to start because it is to advance for new graduates!

Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

I would say...if you hate it THAT badly, try another pharmacy. I've heard alot of things about Walgreens. Some good & some bad. Any BIG chain like Walgreens or CVS might seem a little overwhelming at first, but if you try to stick it out you might just get the hang of it.

Reply - Report abuse

Aaron in Boca Raton, Florida

75 months ago

flyonthewall in Sacramento, California said: I just got a job making $21 an hour right out of school. Stop complaining!I can think of plenty of jobs that pay much less and most jobs have a lot of stress so deal with it.

Im 18, and really considering pharmacist tech. Anything in the medical field is better than nothing. but a question, do u have a bachelors, or associates degree? Im hoping a bachelors, because I want to work in a hospital, or maybe even walgreens, walmart, target, etc. How much was your student loan, was it very hard to get through school, and do u think it is a promised profession?

Reply - Report abuse

Marshalled in Ontario, California

75 months ago

Anyone here UEI graduates? Please tell me from experience, before registering, with a DUI on my driving record, will that interfere with me receiving my certificate after completing the program?

Reply - Report abuse

trish in Lubbock, Texas

75 months ago

jcolome said: That's truly amazing considering there is a school in Miami, Fl that charges students 13,000 (that's not a typo) 13 thousand dollars to become a pharmacy tech and students pay this!!!

MORE LIKE JAIL TIME FOR THE SCAMMERS

Reply - Report abuse

trish in Lubbock, Texas

75 months ago

Marshalled in Ontario, California said: Anyone here UEI graduates? Please tell me from experience, before registering, with a DUI on my driving record, will that interfere with me receiving my certificate after completing the program?

You DO NOT NEED SCHOOL!!! Let me say that one more time....YOU DO NOT NEED SCHOOL!! If you don't believe me search for pharmacy tech jobs in your area. Under job requirements they will tell you. It usually goes something like this, "High School Diploma or equivalent (AKA GED), CphT certificate (simply buy the book to study, pay exam fee and take the test) or visit www.ptcb.org bypassing any and all sites that offer classes. Finally check with your state to make sure they do not have any additional requirements. Example in Texas you have to be registered with the state (Once again no school required). You pay a fee...they do a background check...you get a piece of paper registering you. It's that simple. I hope this helped and maybe saved you some time and from what i'm hearing in here a lot of wasted money.

Reply - Report abuse

Marshalled in Ontario, California

75 months ago

Other than buying the book, studying, paying fees and taking a test, what about actual experience? I assume they take that into consideration. I have none.

Reply - Report abuse

leeand00 in Allentown, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

Do you need to go to school for this if you already have a B.S. in some other field? (oh and also live in PA?)

Thanks.

Reply - Report abuse

RxTech Instructor in Sanford, Florida

65 months ago

It is so amazing watching everyone go back and forth about this industry. Truth of the matter is this (at least in Florida and most other states) A Pharmacist has to study and obtain for their Doctoral degree so their salaries are well deserved for the risks involved. As far as the disgruntled Rx Techs, search for other avenues. There are always Specialty Pharmacies, Hospitals, Insurance Companies, Retail Managers providing opportunities for technicians. Myself, I have been in the field for 17 years and must say I've been blessed. I have worked for retail pharmacies, community pharmacies, specialty pharmacies, and insurance companies. I suggest most of my students to obtain a degree to help in their career opportunities. A simple B.S.Business Degree and my certification provided me a traveling job making $60k+/yr auditing pharmacies for an insurance company. The opportunity is there and the demand for technicians is getting higher.

Reply - Report abuse

Kym in Orlando, Florida

65 months ago

Malissa in Spring Hill, Florida said: I have to partially agree and partially disagree with most of these statements. Before my son was born in 08 I was working for CVS/Pharmacy for some time. I must say that I loved my job! I loved my co-workers, my bosses, my customers, the feeling of being needed and depended on, etc. After several months I became a Lead Tech. I wasn't certified through the state at that time, however, cvs DID in-house train me and I was certified through the Board of Health and through my company. I started out at 10/HR, which, here in Florida, is MUCH more than you make at ANY fast food or pizza joint. No, on that salary alone, you can not support a house hold, however, it is a nice, comfy 2nd income and I am married, raising 2 children and a care taker for my Grandmother who lives with us aswell. My benefits were outstanding. Yes, the techs do do ALL the work, but the Pharmacists DID go to school for 6 (now-a-days more) years to get to where they're at. Lets not forget that most of them (around here atleast) are pulling 12(+) hour shifts, plus they have all the knowledge that we(techs) do not. They are the ones that answer all of those questions comming from the patients about combining certain medications, allergies, reactions, etc,etc. My Father-in-law is a Pharmacist and has been for about 30 years now so I know how it is from BOTH sides of he fence. Also, In fl, I know of COUNTLESS online or on campus programs that will certify you for $1000.00 or LESS! If you are just looking for fast training in a field that can be rewarding if you let it and you only need it as a second income than I would say, go for it! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...who knows, maybe I just got lucky and landed my job as a tech at a great retail pharmacy.

Malissa, Which schools in FL?...I am looking into schools but I am getting crazy tuition costs...I need to take online courses.

Reply - Report abuse

RxTechInstructor in Sanford, Florida

65 months ago

Kym in Orlando, Florida said: Malissa, Which schools in FL?...I am looking into schools but I am getting crazy tuition costs...I need to take online courses.

Kym contact us: I can help you. kinitraco.com or email kinitraco@gmail.com

Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Schofield, Wisconsin

65 months ago

leeand00 in Allentown, Pennsylvania said: Do you need to go to school for this if you already have a B.S. in some other field? (oh and also live in PA?)

Thanks.

Leeann00 - If you already have a BS dont waste your time going back for Pharm Tech school. I know its tough out there right now job wise, but stick with your BS or go back to college and get another degree in something more specialized. Pharm Tech is a great career for certain people but if you already did the 4-yr college thing you would only be taking a step backwards. You dont necessarily need some sort of certification to work in healthcare if that is what you are looking at. Your degree right now dictates your job. I worked as a Pharm Tech since I was 15 and through college. I got my BA in Philosophy. My degree is not the greatest but because I have one and coupled with my years of pharmacy experience it has helped me get the job as a Pharmacy Analyst. I wouldnt go to Pharm Tech school because that certificate means nothing unless thats all you want to be is a pharm tech in a pharmacy operation. Im sorry to sound blunt but you would be wasting your time. If your degree is iffy like mine and find it hard to get a job.. go back and get a different major over this or medical assistant or anything. Most people are going to see you have a BS and look over you because they are going to think you want too much money. Heck, I cant even really get a tech job if i needed too. Although my philosophy degree is kinda worthless in this economy, Im going back to finish my BS in Math. But to do a job like mine, you need the experience and a degree. A simple certificate wont cut it necessarily with out the experience. Sorry for my bluntness.

Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Carmichael, California

61 months ago

jcolome said: That's truly amazing considering there is a school in Miami, Fl that charges students 13,000 (that's not a typo) 13 thousand dollars to become a pharmacy tech and students pay this!!!

This is all part of the money making scam that preys upon desperate students leaving them indebted and without work in most cases. There have been attempts to regulate, but mainly Republican congressional representatives prevent attempts to do so.

Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

RxTechInstructor in Sanford, Florida said: Kym contact us: I can help you. kinitraco.com or email kinitraco@gmail.com

Great. School salesmen trolling for victims, I mean potential students. Try self study or community college or both.

Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Marshalled in Ontario, California said: Anyone here UEI graduates? Please tell me from experience, before registering, with a DUI on my driving record, will that interfere with me receiving my certificate after completing the program?

Save your time and money.

Reply - Report abuse

D in New York, New York

61 months ago

Hello there,

Can anyone tell me if you are F-1 visa holder and will finish Pharmacy Technician Training course and at the same time you have Social security Card bears legend 'Valid to work with DHS authorization' can be hired ? It's really confused me because you know as F-1 holder you are not allowed to work and there is no sponsorship for Pharmacy Technician to get EAD. Please let me know if someone passed this path. Really need help ! Thanks beforehand.

Reply - Report abuse

grego in Monterey Park, California

61 months ago

Anonymous in Carmichael, California said: Save your time and money.

DUI is a felony - not only might it interfere with a license it may also take you out of getting hired for ANY job.
I live in tha San Gabriel Valley of Los Angeles and have had my license for 10 years and can't find a job as a tech, these training schools have flooded the market. A school might have 2-3 training sessions a day with 8-20 students - multiple the low # which would be 24 students. Now look at Monster, Careerbuilder or any job search and see how many jobs for techs are listed. 24 students is just from 1 school - now multiply 24 times 24 (or how many schools in LA/inland empire/orange county - now you'll have over 400 new techs looking for jobs that are not there - And in another 6 months you'll have another 400 and so on. And in LA it helps if you know spanish or chinese.

Reply - Report abuse

Paige in Davis, California

61 months ago

Marshalled in Ontario, California said: Other than buying the book, studying, paying fees and taking a test, what about actual experience? I assume they take that into consideration. I have none.

I'd like to hear a truthful answer to this one myself. I've got a useless BS in Biology and even more so because it's from 13 years ago, and I'd like to be able to do something other than substitute teach in the bad areas. Going for a Master's of Science would seem to be just as useless seeing as how I can't find a job for that "relevant experience" that all the Masters' programs require as a prerequisite!! I've heard that you could take the BS in a scientific discipline, do the pharmacy tech licensure and then get an entry level job at Walgreens, but I'm not sure that would work in today's economy without that all-fired important "work experience" which, unfortunately, Substitute Teaching is apparently not considered to BE. It's like "Substitute teacher off and on with many school districts since 1998" is the same as saying "unemployed with no references either" in this economy!!

Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

trish in Lubbock, Texas said: You DO NOT NEED SCHOOL!!! Let me say that one more time....YOU DO NOT NEED SCHOOL!! If you don't believe me search for pharmacy tech jobs in your area. Under job requirements they will tell you. It usually goes something like this, "High School Diploma or equivalent (AKA GED), CphT certificate (simply buy the book to study, pay exam fee and take the test) or visit www.ptcb.org bypassing any and all sites that offer classes. Finally check with your state to make sure they do not have any additional requirements. Example in Texas you have to be registered with the state (Once again no school required). You pay a fee...they do a background check...you get a piece of paper registering you. It's that simple. I hope this helped and maybe saved you some time and from what i'm hearing in here a lot of wasted money.

The reason people are asking about SCHOOL is that they're trying to get around the WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIRED part of just about EVERY entry-level job these days. ESPECIALLY people who already have Bachelor's degrees. Also we're trying to get past the "work references required or we'll trash your application" part.

Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Jennifer in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: I just started working as a pharmacy Tech at Walgreen and I hate it!! I just graduated from school for pharmacy tech and I feel that Walgreen is not a good pharmacy to start because it is to advance for new graduates!

At least you HAVE A JOB fresh out of school/training for it. Consider yourself lucky. Geez at least they HIRED you which is more than most recent-graduates of any career prep program can say!!

Reply - Report abuse

martin in Murrieta, California

60 months ago

Hello there, I am nearing my graduationg at UEI. I do know that you won't be able to get your license with a DUI on your record if you are looking into pharm tech field. They have become very strict even with just minor traffic violations you have to send a letter to the state explaining its been taking care of the why/when/and how! I believe you could go into the medical assistant or dental with a DUI and it wouldn't affect you. My best advice woulds be to contact your rep and ask them all your questions up front. Good luck

Reply - Report abuse

Michelle Engle in Tucson, Arizona

59 months ago

BrutalHonestTech in Glendale, Arizona said: I have been a certified pharmacy technician for over 5 years. It is not worth the time and effort to take the PTCB and become a pharmacy tech. I actually had to take a pay cut to become one. You actually don't even have to go to school to become a pharmacy technician. I was hired at a pharmacy as a "pharmacy tech trainee", which is a license from the BOard of Pharmacy for which you have 2 years to become certified. School is worthless for this occupation, on the job training is more valuable and teaches much, much more than you can learn in a classroom. Also, technicians do most of the work and the pharmacists get ALL of the glory and also get paid about $70,000 more a year to do so. Most of them would rather die than give credit to a tech who just sat on the phone with a patients insurance company trying to get their medication covered. Instead, when the patient thanks the pharmacist profusely and tells them how wonderful they are, the "wonderful" pharmacist just says thank you and smiles at his/her greatness while the tech continues to fill prescriptions and answer the telephone. It is not enough to raise a family on but it is ok for a second income. If you are seeking a "career" this is not a good one as technicians are looked at as bottom feeders of the medical world because there is no degree involved. But if you are seeking a job as a pharmacist this is a great opportunity to see what it's like to work in a box all day and do most of the work while you get paid a fraction of what your pharmacist makes. If you are looking for a far better career, become an RN which usually only requires an associates degree. Best of luck to everyone!! Keep your head high!! :)

what? I just pass PTCB exam today. I was gonna dive in to fill out application/resume. I do agree with you that you don't need to go to school for that. I bought a exam review study for 3 weeks. I wasn't plan to pass.

Reply - Report abuse

PTT20 in Vancouver, Washington

58 months ago

UH you were in the wrong place. I make19.50hr and know many who earn over 15.00hr. I went to a CC and was employed 2 weeks later.

Reply - Report abuse

Angeline in Houston, Texas

56 months ago

I happen to think it's totally worth it! Also, if you can land a Hospital gig you can work at a retail pharmacy. I know a few people who do this. It's just a matter of how you sell yourself. Good luck!

Reply - Report abuse

Lee in Las Vegas, Nevada

56 months ago

I am one of those who suckered (or better yet conned) into getting a loan and studying to become a pharmacy technician. Two years later I'm stuck working as a cashier in some retail store. Most of the time when I fill Out an application, I don't even get a call for an interview even from stores that claim to be hiring. other times it's complete bs rudeness. twice one store called for an interview and when I call back the claim they've hired somebody one time within a few hours. Another time I was rudely ignored. One time I was even passed over for someone with zero certification and zero training. Take my advice, if somebody brags to you about how worth it it is to get into a pharmacy technician field think long and hard and run in the opposite direction. Don't bee fooled by what they claim in laws and regulation. Retailers don't care about how much training or certification you've had they'll just hire someone off the street.

Reply - Report abuse

Diogenes in Newbury Park, California

55 months ago

Yeah the same thing happened to me. Rite aid had offered me a job and I was stoked to finally start working as a tech. They said they would call to inform me when I would start working then after over a week of not hearing anything I called back and they told me that the corporation was cutting hours and could no longer hire me. That really demoralized me and I stopped looking for a while. Since then I have applied almost everywhere and still no reply whatsoever. There are a few more places I will apply to but not getting my hopes up. And also I don't think retailers just "hire someone off the street" they hire them because they know someone affiliated with the company or more likely someone that works there. Now after all those hours of coursework and months of looking I have to start over at square one. But now when I see those ads I just laugh cause I know someone else is falling for it, suckers. BTW I completely sympathize with you and hope you manage to find a job as a tech or pharm clerk, or get a reply from somewhere you already applied. I still have hope...but it's dismal.

Reply - Report abuse

Leanne in Appleton, Wisconsin

54 months ago

I got a technicial diploma to become a pharm tech in a year. In two years I got an associates degree with places emphasis on supervision and mangagerial aspects of business and pharmacies.

I got my first job within 3 months of graduating workING at a hospital. I started at $12.69 an hour base. Its been a year and I now make over $15. I get excellent benefits (paid time off, insurance, tuition reimbursement, etc.) My employer even reimbursed me for the exam fee to become certified.

OVERALL I AM EXTREMELY HAPPY WITH MY CHOICE TO BECOME A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN. ****MY ADVICE IS TO FIND A JOB AS A TECH IN A HOSPITAL OR SOME SORT OF INSTITUTION. I WOULD NOT WORK RETAIL AS THAT IS WHERE THE LOW PAYING TECH JOBS ARE.

Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.