Updated PTCB Exam

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Dena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

32 months ago

Has anyone taken the new exam yet? I recently became interested in becoming a Pharm Tech but, with the new exam, I have NO CLUE what I should be studying. Is it the same material as the previous exam with more emphasis on certain areas, or a completely new exam altogether?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

seriousaboutthis in Markham, Illinois

31 months ago

This is the latest blueprint of the PTCE: www.ptcb.org/docs/get-certified/new_ptce_blueprint.pdf?sfvrsn=6

It gives the breakdown on what to expect on the exam and what percentage it compose of the exam.

And here is an exam tutorial to give you idea on how the exam would look like and it is free so expect the bare minimum:
www.pearsonvue.com/athena/

And here is the practice exam for a reasonable price ($29 USD): www.pearsonvue.com/ptcb/practicetests/

I hope this helps you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

I just wanted to clarify certain links I posted earlier. The link that I provided that is an exam tutorial does not contain any sample questions related to the PTCE at all. It is basically a tutorial of the exam format so you can at least familiarize yourself with in how select or input an answer for the question. Second, the link to the practice exam is somewhat misleading. Basically you are paying the $29 USD for access to the practice exam. If you want to take it again, I believe you have to pay another $29 USD to take it again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

Thanks for your reply. I did see the new blueprint and compare it to the old one but I'm still a bit confused because the old one is.so vague, I can't tell if it's the same material.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Why not just use the blueprint and use it as a guide to pinpoint topics to study in the old book? I have both versions of the James L. Mizner Mosby's Review book and although there are some minor additions to the newer book, as far as I can tell, it basically has the same information, just placed in different order based on the blueprint. The second edition is based on the old blueprint and the 3rd edition is based on the new blueprint. Basically print out the new blueprint and if you have a local Dollar Tree or some office supply store, purchase some flags/sticky notes and use those flags to mark where each topic is located in the book.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Here is a link that compares the two exams. I was planning to do the same thing but why recreate the wheel, right?

www.ptcb.org/docs/get-certified/blueprint_crosswalk.pdf?sfvrsn=2

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

C. McGhee-CPhT in Chicago, Illinois

23 months ago

Dena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Has anyone taken the new exam yet? I recently became interested in becoming a Pharm Tech but, with the new exam, I have NO CLUE what I should be studying. Is it the same material as the previous exam with more emphasis on certain areas, or a completely new exam altogether?

I have recently taken the test and passed it.....Actually a couple weeks ago. Study The APA "The Pharmacy Technician " 5th Edition and The Workbook. Look on Ebay and Amazon for them. Study the tests multiple choice answers after each chapter, practice the exams in both books. Once you feel comfortable with your performance in the workbook in the Calculations and Certification Exam in the Workbook. You will be ready. Best of Luck! ;]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JNEA in California

23 months ago

CRIMSON INSTITUTE offers an online self-paced Pharmacy Technician Training Program
Try sample program material for free today!!!

To try the sample material for free:
pharmtech.crimsoninstitute.com
User name: guest1
Password: Guest12#

To enroll in the program:
Online: www.crimsoninstitute.com
Facebook: Crimson Institute

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mahe in Washington, Utah

15 months ago

Seriousaboutthis in Markham, Illinois said: Why not just use the blueprint and use it as a guide to pinpoint topics to study in the old book? I have both versions of the James L. Mizner Mosby's Review book and although there are some minor additions to the newer book, as far as I can tell, it basically has the same information, just placed in different order based on the blueprint. The second edition is based on the old blueprint and the 3rd edition is based on the new blueprint. Basically print out the new blueprint and if you have a local Dollar Tree or some office supply store, purchase some flags/sticky notes and use those flags to mark where each topic is located in the book.

hi do you have any study guide you use for your your exam. I failed April this year and i am planning to take it again but i really do not know what to study. pls if you can help with any study material you have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.