"Volunteer for 2 years to get experience as a pharmacy technician at a local hospital"

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

brown_dude34 in Boston, Massachusetts

66 months ago

Nobody wants to work for "Free". However, because most of the employers who advertise for open pharmacy technician positions have this as a requirement.

They don't care if you have a Bachelors, Masters, Ph.D. They want to know if you have 2 years of pharmacy technician experience under your belt.

They don't even care if you went to any of these money grabbing programs that claim to train you as a pharmacy technician. However, the truth is once you pay all that money to a place such as Everett Institute, Health Training Center, Cambridge,MA(aka Rome Institute).

You will find yourself arse out of money with no potential job prospect until you fullfill that 2 year pharmacy technician requirement. Thats just the way it is.

So what about being certified/registered that just fulfills the legal obligations.

The only way I have seen someone get around the 2 years pharmacy technician experience requirement is to be enrolled as a second year student of pharmacy, at a pharmacy school.

For example, a 2nd year student at Massachusetts School of Pharmacy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

brown_dude34 in Boston, Massachusetts

66 months ago

Everyone who enters these short term pharmacy technicians thinks that they are going to find a job as soon as they graduate its so misleading what these institutions do to people.

The US Economy in its present state is mangled for all intents and purposes, its been on the decline since 2007 and most likey won't improve until 2014 a seven year span similiar to the Great Depression of 1929.

I don't know what to tell people that have a CPhT credential and think that means a job will be available to them. All I can say is once you have been registered with the state and you have the CPhT if your really serious about pharmacy. You might want to think about getting into a pharmacy school some how.

There is a shortage of pharmacists in the field but theres a glut in unemployed pharmacy technicians/without experience, and few jobs that will pay them to get this experience.

Its a really messed up situation for pharmacy technicians starting out. Volunteering for 2 years at a local hospital is your only option at this point in a dismal economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

David in Philly in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

brown_dude34 in Boston, Massachusetts said: Nobody wants to work for "Free". However, because most of the employers who advertise for open pharmacy technician positions have this as a requirement.

They don't care if you have a Bachelors, Masters, Ph.D. They want to know if you have 2 years of pharmacy technician experience under your belt.

They don't even care if you went to any of these money grabbing programs that claim to train you as a pharmacy technician. However, the truth is once you pay all that money to a place such as Everett Institute, Health Training Center, Cambridge,MA(aka Rome Institute).

You will find yourself arse out of money with no potential job prospect until you fullfill that 2 year pharmacy technician requirement. Thats just the way it is.

So what about being certified/registered that just fulfills the legal obligations.

The only way I have seen someone get around the 2 years pharmacy technician experience requirement is to be enrolled as a second year student of pharmacy, at a pharmacy school.

For example, a 2nd year student at Massachusetts School of Pharmacy.

This person knows of what he speaks. Listed nad learn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

pharm tech in Huntington Beach, California

63 months ago

I went to school to be a pharmacy technician for two years as Santa Ana College in Santa ana ca. What a missleading career, Target starts out at $9.00, Walgreens $13.50, Hospitals in my area that want the schooling and experience (1 to 2 years) start at at $13-$15 an hour. This is Southern California, The Median home price is $600,000. I can barley rent an appartment with what I would be making, If I can even find a job. Hospitals are out openings are vary rare, Drug stores are cutting back, and compounding and mail order are just as hard to find. Iam licensed by Cpht and BOP and ASHP acredidation. Think twice about this career. You can be a nurse in two years and have a job making $30+ an hour as soon as you graduate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

riksha in London, United Kingdom

48 months ago

hello good evening I would like to ask you work free as pharmacy if you can

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chemmn in Long Beach, California

45 months ago

pharm tech in Huntington Beach, California said: I went to school to be a pharmacy technician for two years as Santa Ana College in Santa ana ca. What a missleading career, Target starts out at $9.00, Walgreens $13.50, Hospitals in my area that want the schooling and experience (1 to 2 years) start at at $13-$15 an hour. This is Southern California, The Median home price is $600,000. I can barley rent an appartment with what I would be making, If I can even find a job. Hospitals are out openings are vary rare, Drug stores are cutting back, and compounding and mail order are just as hard to find. Iam licensed by Cpht and BOP and ASHP acredidation. Think twice about this career. You can be a nurse in two years and have a job making $30+ an hour as soon as you graduate.

Hi, I will be going to Santa Ana College too for Pharmacy Tech. Im having second doubts if I should pursue it. I will be graduating next year with a non-science BA and taking pre-req. at a community college and hoping to go to grad school for Pharmacy. If I do get accepted into Pharmacy school, the debt and difficulty worries me. So by pursuing Pharmacy Tech, it would give me the experience and courage to pursue Pharmacy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

City Man in Toms River, New Jersey

45 months ago

I would advise anyone considering a Pharmacy Technician career to thoroughly research the actual jobs available and talk to people who have earned a CPhT.
The promises made by for profit schools are at best overly optimistic, at worst, outright fraudulent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lauren in Stratford, Connecticut

30 months ago

Chemmn in Long Beach, California said: Hi, I will be going to Santa Ana College too for Pharmacy Tech. Im having second doubts if I should pursue it. I will be graduating next year with a non-science BA and taking pre-req. at a community college and hoping to go to grad school for Pharmacy. If I do get accepted into Pharmacy school, the debt and difficulty worries me. So by pursuing Pharmacy Tech, it would give me the experience and courage to pursue Pharmacy.

I would encourage you to take the tech courses because it will help you for pharmacy school. When you attend the class it's really hard but it will prepare you for pharmacy school for sure and when you get into pharmacy school you will be well prepare. Their are something that you learn in pharmacy technician classes that pharmacy school is lacking of such as making IV and compounding. Also, all of the pharmacy calculation is helpful for pharmacy school. I hope this help you enroll your the tech courses and I know that you will not always agree with some of the things that they teach you at SAC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

glamaralahl in Astoria, New York

14 months ago

I am a Certified Pharmacy Technician...I will advise you, not worth at all! Low paid retail jobs, and if you don't have experience, forget about! Better going for other allied health professions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.