"Why you don't want to start off your pharmacy technican experience at CVS/Pharmacy"

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 85 of 85)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

nc_pharm_tech in Charlotte, North Carolina

39 months ago

I don't know that my experience at CVS is as bad as some here, but I do have my complaints.
I got my certification in January (2013) & got a job the following March, so I was pretty excited to get some practical experience so soon after completing my class. I had to wait to actually start working because of the winter storm that hit the NE so the CVS home office was shut down.
I'm also working another part-time job as well, so my training and work schedule was a little problematic, but not impossible.
The real problems came about when it was time for me to put the training in to practical application, because there would be such a lag between class and when I'd be able to do my OJT. As a result, I do not do inventory or drop-off. Ever. I can guarantee that when I walk in to work the next day I'll start off at pick-up, and after a while I'll be at drive-thru. Occasionally I'll work production. And while the training is very helpful, there is a tremendous amount of information that you are not given; lots of situations that are not discussed.
I was told at my interview that I would not be "thrown to the wolves" on my first day. While I believe my PTL was being truthful about that, the reality has been the total opposite.
New PT's need to shadow someone at each station for at least a week, but CVS is too cheap to put that in to their scheduling budget.
I'm merely putting in my time right now until I can find something FT, either a hospital or LTC.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

cuffeeee93@*****.*** in Chicago, Illinois

39 months ago

Despite, what I've read about the pharmacy tech training and job, I am still interested in working for CVS._ addie Harris.

Reply - Report abuse

jamescbbrooks in Kansas City, Missouri

39 months ago

I didn’t know much about the pharmacy industry fellowship programs till I came in touch with the site [url=www.pharmacyfellowships.com]pharmaceutical industry fellowship programs[/url] wherein I had loads of information to access. It really helped me a lot in doing things the right in this field. Thanks to the rich resources and competent people out there who helped me lot and guided to me that landed a right opening in this field.

Reply - Report abuse

jamescbbrooks in Kansas City, Missouri

39 months ago

I didn’t know much about the pharmacy industry fellowship programs till I came in touch with the site – Pharmacyfellowship.com wherein I had loads of information to access. It really helped me a lot in doing things the right in this field. Thanks to the rich resources and competent people out there who helped me lot and guided to me that landed a right opening in this field.
<a href="www.pharmacyfellowships.com">pharmacy industry fellowship programs</a>

Reply - Report abuse

tenkeydummythinkshesgreat in WINNIPED, American Samoa

35 months ago

THERE IS A COMPANY BASED IN WOODSTOCK,GA WHO PROVIDES PHARMACEUTICAL INVENTORY SERVICES TO MOSTLY INPATIENT PHARMACIES, A FEW OP/RETAIL PHARMACIES FROM TIME TO TIME AND ARE BEING ACQUIRED MORE EACH MONTH. THIS SERVICE IS PROVIDED TO ANYONE REQUESTING IT THROUGHOUT UNITED STATES AND CERTAIN TERRITORIES. THIS IS AN ON THE ROAD JOB AND TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATIONS ARE PROVIDED WHILE YOU JUST SHOW UP TO WORK AND MAKE YOU SALARY. THERE IS ALSO A PER DIEM FOR EVERYDAY YOU ARE SENT OUT ON THE ROAD. I'M NOT GOING TO PAINT A PRETTY PICTURE AND MISLEAD YOU THAT THE WORK CONDITIONS ARE IDEAL, BUT THE MAIN CONTRIBUTOR OF THAT IS THE MAKE UP OF THE PERSONNEL THAT HAVE BEEN BROUGHT ON LATELY. IF WE CAN GET SOME OF YOU TECHS OR PERSONS WITH RELATIVE EXPERIENCE IN THE DOOR PERHAPS WE CAN GET BACK ON THE RIGHT PATH AGAIN. PLEASE LOOK IT UP....

Reply - Report abuse

tenkeydummythinkshesgreat in WINNIPED, American Samoa

35 months ago

THERE IS A COMPANY BASED IN WOODSTOCK,GA WHO PROVIDES PHARMACEUTICAL INVENTORY SERVICES TO MOSTLY INPATIENT PHARMACIES, A FEW OP/RETAIL PHARMACIES FROM TIME TO TIME AND ARE BEING ACQUIRED MORE EACH MONTH. THIS SERVICE IS PROVIDED TO ANYONE REQUESTING IT THROUGHOUT UNITED STATES AND CERTAIN TERRITORIES. THIS IS AN ON THE ROAD JOB AND TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATIONS ARE PROVIDED WHILE YOU JUST SHOW UP TO WORK

Reply - Report abuse

4mul8or in San Diego, California

35 months ago

There are several such companies scattered throughout the U.S.. One needs only perform an Internet search for Pharmacy Inventory Services. I just applied for a job at one, and will doubtless apply at several others as well.

Thank you so much for the tip!

Reply - Report abuse

Janice in San Antonio, Texas

34 months ago

I've been a pharmacy technician for almost a year now and I have to say that is one of the most physically demanding jobs in the market. The functions of being a tech aren't difficult, but the fact that you have to be able to do about ten things at once is really the cherry on that ice cream sundae.
I am employed at a Walgreens with only three regular technicians! THREE technicians?! Our store is busy as hell too and three techs just doesn't cut it. I work 45 hour weeks with 10-13 hour long shifts and only one 30 minute lunch. As soon as you clock in, you better get ready to haul ass and when you step into the pharmacy, you're bombarded with ten tasks that need to be done because there just aren't enough techs to do them. I remember one day it was me, another tech and 1 pharmacist and it was so busy, I had to run 3 stations myself because there were about 70 scripts to fill and when there are that many, you can't afford to concentrate on anything else. I had to answer phones, wait on the patients (I had a line of about 12 people in the front and another 6 cars in the drive through), type prescriptions, make phone calls to other stores or insurance agencies periodically so no pts left dissatisfied and to top it all off, I'd get cussed at by some customers for not being quick enough. I'm over here trying to do the work of at least two people and I have to swallow the verbal abuse from the patients with an understanding smile as well. That's the reality of it. It's not just me either. One of the techs I work with is an older woman, and she struggles so hard everyday with all the work piled on her shoulders. No person, no matter the pay, should have to run around like a dang mule trying to get 100 things done at one time because the company is too cheap to hire somebody else. It really goes to show how little big, corporate a**holes like walgreens or cvs care about their employees.

Reply - Report abuse

nc_pharm_tech in Charlotte, North Carolina

34 months ago

Janice in San Antonio, Texas said: I am employed at a Walgreens with only three regular technicians! THREE technicians?! Our store is busy as hell too and three techs just doesn't cut it....

Janice, your Walgreens sounds like my CVS.
We generally have 1 person per station: pick-up, drop-off, drive-thru, and production, with 1 Pharmacist. If we're particularly busy, we'll get another Pharmacist to come in and verify Rx's while the other Pharmacist deals with all the other stuff that keeps them from verifying Rx's in the first place. But the Rx's still come in and stack up quicker than you can pull & count.
But do we get more PT's on staff to deal with the extra workload? No.

Most customers are understanding & see how busy we are. But we still get the customer who has zero, ZERO self-awareness of the line of cars in drive-thru or the 3-5 (or more) people behind them who has to ask a question or complain that brings the whole process to a screeching halt.

This is more of a general rant that I'm sure happens at other pharmacies: sometimes we'll have a customer drop-off their Rx and will have to wait in the store, which is fine. Then when their Rx is ready, I'll give them their total and that's when they dispute the price, usually over an insurance issue. Or, I'll give them their total and that's when it occurs to them to say, "Oh, I have this discount card." So, this whole time you were waiting, you never thought to tell someone about this card? In either case, once they've signed for their Rx and I've hit total, when it becomes obvious they aren't going to pay the price (even when we did run it through their insurance) of their Rx, I have to void the transaction & send them back over to drop-off so they can wait some more.

Reply - Report abuse

sassy p in Los Angeles, California

34 months ago

Mr.Wilson in Nashville, Tennessee said: I definitely agree with this post. I just quit walgreens 4 months ago. I worked pharm tech and everyone in the pharmacy was nasty and racist. I complained and they put me cashier , but they woudlnt let me take breaks even though I had to use the restroom. The manager said that they dont allow bathroom breaks. I was the only cashier in the store and it stayed busy-like constantly a like of 4 people. They woudln't let me go to photo because there were racist people working back there. The store managers were either racist or very rude. The bathrooms were filthy, and Walgreens was a hel*hole.

I just started my externship, at Walgreens and they only give me 10 minutes for a break anf have me working 9 hours. Dnt want to ho back.

Reply - Report abuse

Janice in San Antonio, Texas

34 months ago

NC_Pharm_Tech in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Janice, your Walgreens sounds like my CVS .
We generally have 1 person per station: pick-up, drop-off, drive-thru, and production, with 1 Pharmacist. If we're particularly busy, we'll get another Pharmacist to come in and verify Rx's while the other Pharmacist deals with all the other stuff that keeps them from verifying Rx's in the first place. But the Rx's still come in and stack up quicker than you can pull & count.

I know exactly what you mean. People will see the horrendously long lines behind them and they still say they need to wait. That's cool. They can wait. I always warn them it could be up to 30 minutes just because of how busy we are and most are understanding. Most people will give us the full hour and a half to work on their rx which I'm grateful for. Some want to fight us about their insurance prices as though we're the ones that come up with them and others decide to whip out their coupon card after we'd already sold them the rx! So now you have to do a post void and run their card because they neglected to mention it BEFORE the script was sold. That's just ridiculous in my opinion. It's only some people though. Most are kind and patient so they make the job more tolerable. Other than that, though, I'm going to get a bit more experience and seek work in a hospital or go back to school. I don't want to slaving away at Walgreens forever. No way. I bet CVS is about the same. Keep ya'll pretty busy, huh?

Reply - Report abuse

Bretski in Alert Bay, British Columbia

33 months ago

Having worked for both Walgreens and Rite Aid in the US as a pharmacist, I can attest to pretty much everything mentioned. Technicians at the large American retailers are kept in slave factories, otherwise known as dispensaries. Technicians are rarely given breaks, benefits, proper working conditions or any consideration from management whatsoever. I'd caution anyone thinking of working for one of these chains. They won't appreciate you or treat you well. You'll have to fight for every inch you deserve.

Reply - Report abuse

nablis07 in Saint Paul, Minnesota

32 months ago

Bretski in Alert Bay, British Columbia said: Having worked for both Walgreens and Rite Aid in the US as a pharmacist, I can attest to pretty much everything mentioned. Technicians at the large American retailers are kept in slave factories, otherwise known as dispensaries. Technicians are rarely given breaks, benefits, proper working conditions or any consideration from management whatsoever. I'd caution anyone thinking of working for one of these chains. They won't appreciate you or treat you well. You'll have to fight for every inch you deserve.

HEY BRETSKI,

I feel like I'm doomed to be in this industry even though I am good at what I do, I just hate working with stupid people who can't manage their own anxieties & imperfections in order to work with each other as professionals. I would never dare say anything bad or curse in public as I express to co-workers, but thats just because I am such a nice person I don't talk back. (I do defend my position though)

Anyway,
I have worked with many pharmacists who come and go, and I know who has good intentions and who don't. So like you said, here in America it is like a slave factory and standards are never met. The pharmacist that I am working with is a real Dip-$hit! Very cocky, a perfectionist, & a Nit Picking Spider! Nah, more like a snake cause I ended up with a pile of errors like I was going to be fired for.

You know pharmacists always has the upper hand and thats why I am heading for pharmacy school so I can become a DM to nail them DUMB B-A-S-T-A-R-D-S OUT THERE LIKE THAT!

Life, it's not about how long you have been doing something, but it's about how you can change things without bending the rules! P/S they're not HIPPA compliant & they think I'm not. Psshhhh. 8-)

Reply - Report abuse

pennygracie in Austin, Texas

32 months ago

NC_Pharm_Tech in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Janice, your Walgreens sounds like my CVS .

Most customers are understanding & see how busy we are. But we still get the customer who has zero, ZERO self-awareness of the line of cars in drive-thru or the 3-5 (or more) people behind them who has to ask a question or complain that brings the whole process to a screeching halt.

This is more of a general rant that I'm sure happens at other pharmacies: sometimes we'll have a customer drop-off their Rx and will have to wait in the store, which is fine. Then when their Rx is ready, I'll give them their total and that's when they dispute the price, usually over an insurance issue. Or, I'll give them their total and that's when it occurs to them to say, "Oh, I have this discount card." So, this whole time you were waiting, you never thought to tell someone about this card? In either case, once they've signed for their Rx and I've hit total, when it becomes obvious they aren't going to pay the price (even when we did run it through their insurance) of their Rx, I have to void the transaction & send them back over to drop-off so they can wait some more.

That's why you give them the price at drop-off, so their expectations are already set and you don't fill it just to be put back because they don't like the price.

Reply - Report abuse

mnat in Southport, North Carolina

32 months ago

I landed a pharm tech job at CVS after taking a course at my local community college. I thought it would be a great stepping stone for learning and they would pay for my National Certification test in 6 months.
After my hiring manager started texting me with questions at all hours about my training,drug test,whether I registered with the BOP yet, I was starting to question my decision to take the job!
I took a huge paycut taking this job, but I figured,no big deal, because once I am certified I will move on and demand more money. My goal is to work at a hospital pharmacy-not retail!
I attended some training then was given a HUGE amount of online training! The time it took for the "6" hours I'd get paid for was already exceeding 10 hours!! And the website was a nightmare! The trainer told us to use one browser, the website said it won't work on that one...My husband (an IT professional) had to help me figure out how to just access this training...countless other web related problems too.
After realizing I would be working my part time hours PLUS doing online training (most of which I would not get paid for)When you work your hours at a retail job, you need to go home and live your life, not be constantly looking at a computer screen to finish training by a certain date. Especially when the website encounters problems constantly and makesyou redo things, sign out and start over the next day,etc etc! (all the while the clock is ticking and you MUST finish certain things by certain dates!!!) No, I will not be doing this till all hours of the night. I have a life. This is only a part time job!
I realized CVS is NOT the place to work as a pharmacy tech.!
DON"T TRAIN THERE!!!

Reply - Report abuse

Lovely Liz_71 in Madera, California

27 months ago

brown_dude_CPhT in Boston, Massachusetts said: Later on I decided to try out the retail pharmacy experience which I did not find rewarding at all. However, this employment opportunity led me to pursue certification which I acquired in 2008. It’s just unfortunate that there are so few opportunities for entry -level technicians and this “deep recession” makes it increasingly difficult for new pharmacy technician hires.

Besides, reading the threads on this forum provides a great place for aspiring, frustrated and disgruntled pharmacy technicians to vent and pass along critical knowledge to others. For example, if you can stop a person from taking out a $10,000 school loan in order to become a pharmacy technician and direct them to some other healthcare opportunity that pays more and has better working conditions may god bless you.

By this I mean I really feel sorry for those individuals who took out those huge loans and went to school and when they graduated were surely disappointed by not finding immediate employment. But then again that seems to be an absolute with this profession. First time employment opportunities are defiantly hard to acquire in most cases.

Although, I am not sure why, perhaps it’s over saturation of pharmacy technicians in the field. Then there are those who are frustrated by the low pay, high stress and poor working conditions of the retail pharmacy setting. In conclusion, kudos goes out to all the pharmacy technicians that have passed the national PTCB exam and have given advice regarding what programs and books to buy in order to pass the PTCB, as well as tips of the trade to there fellow aspiring pharmacy technicians.

I am one of those that decided to become a Certified Pharmacy technician. Mind you passing the PTCB exam. Who has not been able to find entry level work and I am wondering if my 17k investment will ever pay off. I am still stuck working at my dead end job and many little to to no money.

Reply - Report abuse

supageman in Hamilton, Ohio

22 months ago

I'm shocked to hear all this abuse at CVS, I work at Walgreens in Ohio and have had a wonderful 3 years. The only problems i've encountered are the moronic cutbacks that corporate gives us and the irritating meth heads insulting and threatening me when I refuse to sell them their precious Pseudoephedrine.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Lorena in San Juan, Puerto Rico

21 months ago

Hi. I just applied to become a Pharmacy Techinician Trainee. I wish I get hired, can you tell me a little bit more about your experience? When you applied, did they call you soon? Did you have to call them? Please give me details of you can.

Best of luck!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

no names in Largo, Florida

21 months ago

I have worked for CVS for 8 years and became a lead pharmacy tech. This was a hugh mistake and I am sorry for being so stupid. I have learned my lesson, returned to college finished my BS in Applied Sciences in the Healthcare Services. I am still a registered and PTCB certified pharmacy technician, I now teach in the Pharmacy Technician Program at a local college. I have had time to explore my experience with retail pharmacy at CVS. No job is absolutely perfect, but working for CVS was a nightmare, I hope never to repeat. When you are new to the pharmacy technician profession, one becomes excited about that new job and new experience that is going to improve you life working with professionals and helping the patients with their needs at the CVS Pharmacy. WRONG, not because it is CVS because you have just became a new pharmacy target to be abused by the staff already working at the CVS pharmacy. I must admit it is a shock to your system, with no breaks, no lunch, no bathroom privileges, etc. Much of the difficulty is that Pharmacist are not the best supervisors to be in charge of that many people working with them. The Pharmacist has a job, to make sure the prescriptions are correctly filled this is extremely important, adding supervisor of the staff is just to much. This is where the staff runs the show, and the pharmacy team goes to hell. I feel sorry for the Pharmacist, having to decide what is the most important to them, and that is filling prescriptions correctly. If CVS would review the attitude of the staff and place someone capable of controlling the peril happening with the staff perhaps the per-school behavior would be put in check. CVS knows what is going on, they are a large corporation, they know what is going on in the pharmacy must be STOPPED. Think how much better the work environment would be for the entire pharmacy staff, including the Pharmacist. A lot of responsibility is on the shoulders of the Pharmacist, they also have 14 hour shifts to work.

Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Fort Washington, Maryland

20 months ago

And readers need to understand that these is no joke, everything said in the comment is true, 100% true! Even taking a bullet for the pharmacist! When I explain my pain to my mother, friends, or fiancée they kind of treat me as if I'm exaggerating. Pharmacist do absolutely nothing, but sit up there on a power trip and treat you like a slave! And if they need you to go the extra mile and stay late they expect you to, although they have been treating you like you are beneath them all day long. There are so many forms of abuse, please no one ever get comfortable, it will consume your life and make you very depressed. Always steadily look for a job because you never know when you'll have to quit just to keep your sanity.

Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Fort Washington, Maryland

20 months ago

I called my manager and she scheduled an interview. Most likely you will have to call them.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Devildoc in Bridgeport, Connecticut

16 months ago

Everything that has been said about CVS is definitely true; it is a terrible place to work. The PIC and the store manager will not back you up for anything (especially when it comes to disgruntled pharmacy customers. The customer is always right. I went to the Navy's pharmacy technician school and graduated 4th out of a class of 10. Before that, I worked in a Branch Medical Clinic (Navy) and assisted the pharmacy technician when he got really busy. I even filled in for him when he was sick and on leave. When he left and was not replaced, my supervisor put me in charge of the pharmacy. I typed labels, ordered supplies, compounded medications, and other pharmacy functions. When I left the Navy, my first job was Walgreens; I left after 1 yr. (I only made 8.50 an hour;getting certified would not have brought much of an increase). Later on, I went to CVS, and I regret doing it. With all the prior experience I had, I ended up spending 90% of my time on the drive thru because the powers that be said I wasn't fast enough (never mind the fact that I had worked in a Navy pharmacy that filled 2,000-3,000 prescriptions a day, and compounded various medications). The experience I had meant nothing to CVS. I started out as a PSA, and had to go thru all their online modules before they changed me classification to pharmacy technician. I would work on days off and work double shifts because of continuously being short staffed; that was not appreciated. It got to the point where I dreaded going in to work. A friend of mine said to me; you're just a glorified cashier. Even people coming in to get their prescriptions said to me "do you do anything else other than drive thru?" I became frustrated and depressed. They never did what they promised me. I lasted almost 4 years before they finally found something to fire me for (even though the lead tech stood up for me). As a result, I haven't worked in a pharmacy since 2011. Stay away from chain store pharmacies. Go after a hospital gig.

Reply - Report abuse

Devildoc in Bridgeport, Connecticut

16 months ago

I wanted to add that I am seeking to refresh my skills so that I can work as a pharmacy technician again. I got into the field because I enjoyed it while I was in the Navy (my OJT in the clinic I mentioned earlier, and working in the Navy pharmacy I mentioned earlier). I also was able to do inpatient pharmacy work, which I enjoyed. I will be getting my National Certification and license this time around. After that, my plan is to seek employment in a Civilian or Veteran's Administration hospital. If you are starting out in retail (or have been working in retail), consider going to work for a hospital pharmacy, LTC facility, or mail order pharmacy. You will be treated better in these places than in retail. The pay is better as well. Good Luck to everyone!

Reply - Report abuse

JB in Poway, California

14 months ago

Devildoc,

I had a similar experience. I got my pharmacy training through volunteer with the American Red Cross at a Navy Pharmacy for 4 years (my regular job was a home health nurse). I fell in love with pharmacy and got my license and was excited to be starting a new job at CVS only 10 minutes away from my house. The short commute time wasn't worth it. I stayed there for 5 months and was "encouraged" to quit 2 days ago and I did. The pharmacy was short-staffed and at first I was always at the register and then EVERY day, stuck at the drive-thru. Developed acute shoulder pain from constantly opening/closing the window. Rarely ever got the opportunity to fill. I got reprimanded for not being "fast enough" at production and drop off.. how and I supposed to get faster when I'm never put on those stations?! I got stuck doing all of the non-tech work.. despite having a tech license. No breaks, rude customers, getting called in on days off, the person making the schedule had favorites (not including me) and I got stuck always working weekend and that meant only getting to see my significant other 1 day a week (they're a pilot and travel around the country), the list goes on. The last straw was being accused of fraud at the register and having my compotency at filling prescriptions being questions. Um, how can one possibly be concerned about me giving patients the wrong drugs when I'm never put on the production station? The manager told me that he didn't know if I had a job there any more and should think about if I still want to stay there. No job is worth all of that misery, especially when I'm not even doing what im trained to do. So I left. Actually just got off of the phone with the manager confirming that I'm not coming back. Said they won't give me a good reference. I can't find it in me to care, I'm just so happy I never have to go back to that place! There are better things (and pharmacies) ahead. I'm resolving to just wing it and see what happens :)

Reply - Report abuse

Beginnersmind in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

14 months ago

...and after eating all that fast food, and have gotten your scripts to "cure" you, then you are back to supporting the Pharmeceutical cartels all over again. We are all just pawns in the game.

Reply - Report abuse

Tom King, RPh of QuickTestPrep.com in Dallas, Texas

14 months ago

While your negative advice for others not to become a pharmacy technician is maybe true for CVS, it most certainly is NOT true for the pharmacy technician profession as a whole. Telling people to go $10,000 to 20,000 into debt by going to a community college is irresponsible. "Obama" is certainly NOT paying for your entire education.

In order to succeed, I invite you to copy those who have succeeded before you. I work with 2 pharmacists who were full time pharmacy technicians for years before they became a pharmacist. One of these 2 guys was a security guard and spoke broken English when he first came to our great country. He studied on his own and passed the PTCB exam. Then, he became a pharmacy technician and later became a pharmacist, making almost $70 per hour. Instead of going into debt for your education, I invite you to become a pharmacy technician and work for someone who offers a scholarship for their employees. Many hospitals offer scholarships paying all the tuition and fees for employees studying to become a nurse. One pharmacy technician I worked with for years is now a nurse in my hospital. Some retail pharmacies offer scholarships to their employees as well. Walgreens may be offering such a scholarship (I am not 100% certain because they got bought out by Boots Pharmaceuticals recently).

I invite you to notice that it may be wiser to work as a pharmacy technician while going to school on scholarship for a more lucrative career like nursing or pharmacist than to go into debt for $10,000 to 20,000 for some career that will only pay a little better than an experienced, certified pharmacy technician. Instead of going into debt with student loans for thousands of dollars, you can get a library book for free to help you study to pass the PTCB exam. If you need a little help, you may join a live online pharmacy technician certification prep course for less than $300 (for example, like the one at www.quicktestprep.com ). Good luck :-)

Reply - Report abuse

Katherine Ashby in Union City, New Jersey

10 months ago

Hello Hello! I used to work for Career Step a few years ago and they have an awesome Pharmacy Technician course. The course is done completely online and at your own pace. When you are about 2/3 of the way through your course Career Step sets you up with an externship with CVS Pharmacies or Walgreens. They have a signed contract with their corporate offices. The course can be completed in 3 months but you get 6 months just in case. The course costs $1,995 (books and materials included) and they have some pretty amazing payment plans. When you graduate from the course you will be 100% prepared and confident to pass the PTCE exam through the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board. If you have any questions about them you can email me @ katherine.b.ashby@gmail.com I took a few of their courses and they did not disappoint!

Here is the link: referral.careerstep.com/pt?ref=43233

Reply - Report abuse

Bill Riddly in Seneca, South Carolina

10 months ago

This is true...I have only been with them a week and already seen this..you make a mistake..real or imagined..intentional or un intentional and they are gonna retaliate...only those in the in crowd are allowed to speak. ..very bureaucratic...one person takes a box to the back...another department breaks down the box..You really are not even allowed to ask what you make or they pay for mileage..The pretty in crown ones can say and do what they like...I might be allowed to speak..in a few years or have an opinion..be a TEAM player if I kiss enough booty and become female...or some other minority..but they make fun of Mexicans..They pretty much say whatever.they want about anyone..any time ..if they are in the in crowd..especially a newby..if you give it back..you are not a team player....made some mistake..etc...They tell mostly lies....oddly..their policy is against all of these types of behaviors in writing..wolf in sheeps clothing. I was just wondering if all pharmacy..medical field is dog eat dog..unless you "fit" in..but we value diversity...when profitable.

Reply - Report abuse

Cristina moon in Fayetteville, Tennessee

8 months ago

CVS is no doubt one of the worst retail chains in which to be a technician.They have either the 3rd or 4 th lowest starting pay and raises are inconsequential.

In addition to customers being able to say any and everything to you, most pharmacists are just as bad. Most are just out of school and still believe in the corporate b.s. I have never been as disrespected and belittled at a job as much as I was at CVS.

Don't be fooled...retail pharmacy is all about money, not customer health or satisfaction,..no matter what they try to tell you.

Reply - Report abuse

CarlyHazen in Phoenix, Arizona

6 months ago

These posts are eye opening to say the least. I have some advice to offer on the PHARMACY TECH SCHOOLS; don't ever go to a school that boasts of an externship. If you hear the word EXTERNSHIP RUN FOR THE HILLS. I can't be sure why, its a buzz word inferior overpriced 'tech schools' dreamed up.
These experiences with CVS and Walgreens sound like other parts of service industry I've worked in at one time or another with no job protection. I recently realized had I been working with the protection of a UNION, I never would have been harassed or pushed out of a good job or fired because some girl did not like working with someone that was prettier or smarter than him or her. There's a lot of pharmacy techs in this country, you should be protected & making more money than a cashier. You are after all somewhat responsible for someone's life.
This brings me to my next point, HOW DO YOU VOTE? If you vote for republicans, then you deserve all this horrible treatment because you actually authorized these large corporations to give it to you. If you want to change it, vote for ALL, LET ME REPEAT THAT, I SAID ALL DEMOCRATS. No republican, ever cares about whether you are employed or not, nor do they care if you make more than minimum wage, in n fact they prefer that you work for them, for nothing. If they could, they would make you work for free. That said, no republican would ever support any unions or any job protection and they are also the ones that own all those crappy schools that hoodwink you into attending so you could be in debt for $15,000 only to get paid a tad more than minimum wage. Actually in most cases, the very bank that you are indebted to for those student loans which were so easy to obtain for that 'tech school' you attended, owns the school.
The takeaway, Don't attend the crappy tech school for pharmacy technician, unionize and VOTE DEMOCRATIC, ALWAYS, because they are the only ones trying to keep CVS and Walgreens in line.

Reply - Report abuse

June in Lewisville, Texas

6 months ago

Hey sorry that was your experience. Its the same everywhere...pharmacists are also treated bad. I was in'training also which was just me doing daily functions. They went about doing their stuff and did not train me. Just normal way of life at CVS. They preach customer, value, service but its garbage.

Mist in Harleysville, Pennsylvania said: In summary, just know what you're getting yourself into. I sure didn't. Your coworkers will help you in the beginning, but once it gets busy you can only talk to the pharmacist. Who may be okay with helping you when it's slow, but once it's busy you better not have any questions and get everything done, quickly quickly quickly. And perfectly. Make any mistakes and you get told off for it in a very rude manner. I've been called a moron and handicapped just in the past two days. Sarcasm abound and forget about getting any patience from the Pharmacist. It's an intriguing job that I loved learning, but I have a lot to learn and they don't care, so I'm looking for a new job. No one deserves that abuse when they're only failing due to a lack of training.

Reply - Report abuse

Baldyovo in Brentwood, New York

5 months ago

I made more money as a swing manager in mcdonalds( which only took me a couple of months to get the position).. After 5 months of a technical school on job training for pharmacy tech and only $10/hr at cvs.. Im stuck

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Sia in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

5 months ago

Hey I am from Louisiana. I had Louisiana candidate technician license. I have applied in cvs as a technician trainee to get 600hrs, but there is no response from them, can I go inperson and give resume? Is there any chances to hire in that way. I am taking ptc exam next month.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Santa Cruz, California

5 months ago

From what I've heard from pharmacists, no one enjoys working at CVS. Can't see why it would be any diff. for a tech.

Reply - Report abuse

Wen in Los Altos, California

25 days ago

Baldyovo in Brentwood, New York said: I made more money as a swing manager in mcdonalds( which only took me a couple of months to get the position).. After 5 months of a technical school on job training for pharmacy tech and only $10/ hr at cvs .. Im stuck

Have you still worked at CVS? How is it? I am applying for the pharm tech now, and got offer from costco pharmacy. I will have an interview with CVS soon, but really people's opinion on which one is more prefer. Thanks! Good luck!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.