Would you recommend this career? Becoming certified...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

renren in Moscow, Pennsylvania

5 months ago

Hello,

A few years ago, I completed a certificate program for pharmacy technician. Due to some extenuating circumstances, I worked at an awful pharmacy, basically as the cashier, for a short time, then had to quit. When we finished our program, our professor told us in order to pass the certification test, we would need quite a bit of in pharmacy experience. However, I've heard of some people just getting the study materials, studying them like crazy, and passing. I was just accepted into a physical therapy assistance program, and I know that it is a better paying career, but it also requires me to fork over A LOT of money and time where I would be unable to work. I am trying to decide which path would be the best for me. Most pharmacies around here will not hire if you are not certified, and ideally I would like to get into a hospital where the pay would be better. Has anyone passed the test without having experience? Do most of you who are working like your job? Are hospitals the highest paying places??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Seriousaboutthis in Markham, Illinois

5 months ago

I passed the test with no experience in pharmacy. But I worked my ass off and kept applying to every pharmacy technician position I could in a 50 mile radius. I even called a local hospital and inquired if they have a part time or even a volunteer position because I was "pressed" for experience. If I was you, I would cold call every local privately owned pharmacy, hospital, LTC facility, and other facilities just to get your foot in the door. If the position doesn't pay much or nothing at all, take it as long as it is not far from home and you have another job to support yourself. From what I understand, my experience is highly unusual because an overwhelming majority of hospitals will not even look at you if you don't have any experience. If that doesn't work, then suck it up and apply to CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc. I heard the work environment is stressful but you are getting experience and that is what you need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

renren in Moscow, Pennsylvania

5 months ago

So then studying and passing the test will most likely not get you anything more than a position at Walmart, Rite Aid, etc? I guess you've got to pay your dues before you can get into the better places. Do the hospitals count these chains as experience? I would think the IV stuff would be difficult on the test without experience?

NC_Pharm_Tech in Charlotte, North Carolina

5 months ago

Of the hospitals I've applied to, depending on the position, they've asked if I've worked in a hospital pharmacy before.
It's that old Catch-22, though, isn't it? You can't get a job in a hospital pharmacy if you don't have experience in a hospital pharmacy.
Other times, I've been asked if I've worked in a retail pharmacy, and I can now say that I have, so hopefully that will get me past the preliminary round of applicants.

JNEA in California

26 days ago

PHARMACY TECHNICIAN PRACTICE LECTURE AND EXAM QUESTIONS – TRY FOR FREE!

Studying for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Lectures and Exam?
Try our Sample Practice Lecture and Exam Questions for Free!!!

Go to: pharmtech.crimsoninstitute.com/
User name: guest1
Password: Guest12#

Join us on Facebook at Crimson Institute
On line at www.crimsoninstitute.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.