becoming a pharmacist technician PLEASE HELP!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 199 of 199)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

chad in Saginaw, Michigan

50 months ago

I would like to be a hospital Pharm Tech. But I would like to get some training so I can be prepared and ready to work as a hospital PT; and be trained and ready to take the PT exam and to get certified, but does anybody know of a good online institute that can train you and is not some stupid scam or rip off? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

brivera in Union City, California

50 months ago

I only studied for six weeks. So it is possible for you too, but I am having difficulties getting registered through my state because of a misdemeanor past. So I'm hoping I haven't wasted all this time and money...?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

J.R. in Odessa, Texas

49 months ago

rachel in Claremont, New Hampshire said: I am interested in becoming a pharmacist technician.I was told you have to good at math and science? is that true? and could somebody tell me what I would be doing during training and what i would be doin when I do get a job???!!!

Learn how to use proper grammer first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Liz in Providence, Rhode Island

48 months ago

angela in Everett, Washington said: I am currently enrolled in Penn Foster. I am having trouble learning the name brand and generic. Any tips on learning all of those.

Hi,
I can't aswer your question but have a question for you. I am looking into enrolling with Penn Foster, Would you recommend this for the Pharmacy tech program
Thank
Liz

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karishma Kapoor in Lake Worth, Florida

47 months ago

DO NOT SPEND MONEY TO BECOME A PHARMACY TECH!! What a total waste of money!!! Apply at Walgreens, CVS, local grocery store, etc. and they will train you on the job!! So you get paid and get trained at the same time. Meanwhile use the money you savedto take actual classes at a community college or university, not at some fake "career institute". This way you can get ahead in life too. Being a pharmacy tech is not a career....I worked at Walgreens for four years, and at the end, I only made $12.25. That is with certification.

P.S. You don't need to know math as an actual tech, but if you want to become certified tech or become a pharmacist, you should definitely learn math! It's not hard math, basically all conversions and ratios. By college level, most students have taken algebra so it's easy. At my pharmacy, nearly everyone passed. The only ones that failed did so because of the conceptual questions which require knowledge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

TWHladyinLV

46 months ago

I don't know what planet you are living on if you think any chain drugstore is going to give you on the job training. Plus you have to register with the states Board of Pharmacy too.

I received on the job training, but that was in the 70's. You might be able to get hired as just a clerk at first. Learn something about the profession, then take the test. Good luck finding a job in this economy if you are fresh out of a training program.

As for schools, look for accredited schools that have a higher ratio of students that find placement.
The hospital where I worked would never hire anyone without prior experience in hospital work. I think we had one exception for a girl who was doing her internship with us and she was exceptional at learning the various shifts and dealing with the high stress levels.

Yes, being a tech for a year or two to get your feet wet before plunging into Pharmacy school is a great idea. Pharmacists are still in demand. You have to be good at math, (calculus), biology, and lots of chemistry. It is very difficult the first 2 years and then gets more interesting the last few years from what I have been told in talking to many of the RPh interns that come through the hospital.

If you want more money as a tech, hospitals tend to pay more than retail. It is the opposite for Pharmacists unless you specialize in various Clinical settings.

As far as the above opinion about "you can't make a career as a tech", I would heartily disagree! As I mentioned I started in the late 70's in hospital work, have had about 9 years of retail, 4 years in mail order, and the rest back in hospital work, for a total of 30+ years. I found retail to be too repetitive and boring. Hospital work is stressful, challenging, and you may have to work any and all shifts, holidays, weekends. Stand and walk, lift and unpack huge shipments (depends on the size of the facility).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TWHladyinLV

46 months ago

But in hospital environments a really good tech can specialize in many areas including: IV & Chemo compounding, purchasing, lead tech, tech trainer, tech supervisor, order entry, to name a few. The more senior techs normally get the better shifts, but if you are ambitious and out-shine someone else it can be different.

Over my "career" as a tech I have worked in multiple states all over the US. Had jobs I loved and others I really disliked, but I was never without a job wherever I went. I took the National Certification test in 1995 and still have it. I am making in the top 1% of pay for techs in the nation not including shift, weekend differentials and overtime. We are talking 50 to 60 K per year.

If you want to do hospital work, get yourself hired at a larger University based medical teaching facility and STAY there! Most offer retirement and you can retire with a nice sum after 20-30 years. Then if you are still bored you can go find another job part-time! Or teach and become a mentor. Who do you think is teaching all the young techs at these schools?

If you have a BS degree you can use your pharmacy experience to become a Pharmaceutical Rep. The possibilities are only as limited as your ambition!
There are many pharmacy settings to choose from now besides the ones I have mentioned. Mail-Order, Nuclear, Long-Term care, Closed-door, Compounding (IV and specialty), Assisted Living, to name a few.

If anyone out there would like to discuss your future as a Pharmacy Tech, just ask!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PY big bad Los Angeles in Los Angeles, California

44 months ago

rachel in Claremont, New Hampshire said: I am interested in becoming a pharmacist technician.I was told you have to good at math and science? is that true? and could somebody tell me what I would be doing during training and what i would be doin when I do get a job???!!!

its actually called pharmacy technician or PT lolz... anyways personally pt is fairly very easy... the math is simple knowledge exammple. (2 tab po QD TID )in translation it means take 2 tablets by mouth everyday three times a day so think..!!! the answer is you consume 2 X 3 = 6 daily... easy right... ALSO!!! memorize your house hold conversions like tspn tbsp ml me G GR gtt Mcg mm ounces pints quarts liters with just this alone you possess almost half the skills u need guaranteed okay!!!! also look up top 200 drugs trade name and generic names i suggest flash cards ... example: Vicodin is trade name...... while Hydrocodeine is the generic name and theirs alot of drugs and contraceptives and tons of Anti biotics so read a pill dictionary for fun thats how u do it...... TRUST ME.... Well good luck to your studies hope u become a pt or pharmacist making 6 figures with benefits while a technician makes nearly only 30 to 35 thousand a year...i suggest Nuclear pharmacy or compounding pharmacy tech those two make tons of money.... look it up..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bmh9289

43 months ago

I am currently enrolled in the Pharmacy Technology program at a 2 year college. I am wondering, once I recieve my degree (Associates in Applied Science), what do are my next steps toward becoming a Pharmacist??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TWHladyinLV in Las Vegas, Nevada

43 months ago

bmh9289 said: I am currently enrolled in the Pharmacy Technology program at a 2 year college. I am wondering, once I recieve my degree (Associates in Applied Science), what do are my next steps toward becoming a Pharmacist??

If you want to eventually become a Pharmacist, (NOT a Tech), you are just at the begining. I would start by getting CPhT Certification, find a job as a tech and make sure this is what you want to do.
Get an advisor at the community college you are taking courses in , and if they are educated, they will tell you how to proceed.

I am a personal coach and consultant for people looking to get into this field. It is not easy becoming a Pharmacist, but if you are doing well in your classes, there is no reason you can't be one.

in TX in San Antonio, Texas

43 months ago

TWHIladinLV...I'm preparing to take the PTCB and apply for pharmacy schools in the fall. Any recommendations? Also what would be the best was to obtain experience before becoming CPhT? Nowadays, its almost impossible to get hired as a PT without prior experience.

TWHladyinLV in North Las Vegas, Nevada

43 months ago

Dear San Anton, are you taking the PTCB test after completion of a PT school? If so, they should be helping you to find work. As you say, it is tough to get experience as a PT, and it is harder still with the economy theway it is.

If you can, I would suggest to volunteer at a small hospital or retail pharmacy after you have gotten your CPHT certificate. This will get your foot in the door so if they like you, you will get picked first. If you can only do this part-time while working another job, then do it.
OR work for a staffing agency who will place you somewhere that you can get experience. If you have your CPHT cert., things will be much better for you!

If you are headed for pharmacy school application in the fall, and want to know where to apply to, it depends on if you are willing to move or not. You will get better pay as a tech or an intern in the southwest, northwest, northeast. I am not sure about Florida. People are fleeing from the mid-west areas because of lack of jobs.
San Antonio is a beautiful area, but you will make better money in Dallas.
As for schools, one of the best is University of Kentucky, last I looked it was still in the top three nation-wide. But it is tough to get in. UK was one of the best places I have ever worked as a tech, even though the money was pretty low, they had a great retirement plan!
Here in Las Vegas the pharmacy school is pretty lame, however it is hard to get in still because is is a four year program, (instead of the normal 5 years), so many come here, and then move on. The pay here in Las vegas is good compared to other states I have lived in, but LV is not a good place to raise a family.

curiousgal in Austin, Texas

42 months ago

Does anyone know anything about the fingerprint/criminal background test in TX for registering for pharmacy tech in training? Over 10 yrs ago I was arrested for misdemeanor shoplifting (don't ask! friend's teenager w/ me put items in my bag full of items I paid for) - hired attorney, etc. supposed to be expunged from record but when I was divorced 6 yrs ago, low and behold it showed upon a fingerprint check I did voluntarily as divorce was getting nasty :( . Clerk told me these things are never "expunged" as they are supposed to be - gee, thanks. Does anyone know if this will prohibit my registration? Thanks in advance -

42 months ago

Hi Curious,

This definitely is not true! Things CAN, and should have been expunged from your record!

Was the attorney you had hired for the divorce? If so, he may not know how to do expung-ing. I would contact a criminal attorney in the area where the "theft" happened, so that it can be done properly.

If you are a Tech in training and they do a check and it comes up, be HONEST about it and don't try to hide
anything! Let them know you have an attorney working on it. If it doesn't come up, I wouldn't bring it up. They may not see it as a hindrance to your training period.

BUT! It very well could be a liability in you getting a job once the training is done. Of you were an employer who could have their pick of 50 applicants and one had this little stain on their reputation, what would you do?

Also the Texas State Board of Pharmacy will ask on your application for your state license wether or not you have had any arrests, etc. You have to be very honest with these people.

A pharmacy tech has the capacity in many ways to break the law, you won't stay in this line of work for long if you are not of high moral character.
Please get your record set straight ASAP so it doesn't wreck a good career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Doaa in Fredericksburg, Virginia

41 months ago

Im new here and I don't know the system here..
My question is: can I be a pharmacist technician after I graduate from high school..I mean without going to college..Just apply for any pharmacy after high school??
If someone can help me..than will be great
thank you

forrst in Westminster, California

41 months ago

TWHladyinLV said: But in hospital environments a really good tech can specialize in many areas including: IV & Chemo compounding, purchasing, lead tech, tech trainer, tech supervisor, order entry, to name a few. The more senior techs normally get the better shifts, but if you are ambitious and out-shine someone else it can be different.

Over my "career" as a tech I have worked in multiple states all over the US. Had jobs I loved and others I really disliked, but I was never without a job wherever I went. I took the National Certification test in 1995 and still have it. I am making in the top 1% of pay for techs in the nation not including shift, weekend differentials and overtime. We are talking 50 to 60 K per year.

If you want to do hospital work, get yourself hired at a larger University based medical teaching facility and STAY there! Most offer retirement and you can retire with a nice sum after 20-30 years. Then if you are still bored you can go find another job part-time! Or teach and become a mentor. Who do you think is teaching all the young techs at these schools?

If you have a BS degree you can use your pharmacy experience to become a Pharmaceutical Rep. The possibilities are only as limited as your ambition!
There are many pharmacy settings to choose from now besides the ones I have mentioned. Mail-Order, Nuclear, Long-Term care, Closed-door, Compounding (IV and specialty), Assisted Living, to name a few.

If anyone out there would like to discuss your future as a Pharmacy Tech, just ask!

Wow...i really respect and appreciate for sharing your experiences and your knowledge...kudos for you :) thank you,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

forrst in Westminster, California said: Wow...i really respect and appreciate for sharing your experiences and your knowledge...kudos for you :) thank you,

Thank you forrst for the compliment! I am trying to show people that one CAN make a good career as a Pharmacy Technician if they apply themselves!
Regards, P. Lee

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Doaa in Fredericksburg, Virginia said: Im new here and I don't know the system here..
My question is: can I be a pharmacist technician after I graduate from high school..I mean without going to college..Just apply for any pharmacy after high school??
If someone can help me..than will be great
thank you

Hi Doaa in VA,
according to the laws in Virginia, which can be found on the Virginia State Board of Pharmacy website, "anyone wishing to apply for a VA license as a pharmacy tech must have a CPhT certification, and/or pass a board certified training program. Many people have to go through the training program in order to sit for the National Certification Test or CPhT. You can find out a lot of great information at their website:
www.dhp.virginia.gov/pharmacy/pharmacy_faq.htm#TechRegistration

I hope you find what you are looking for!
Best Regards!
TWHladyinLV

terina65 in Wichita, Kansas

41 months ago

hello, my name is charlene and i went through pharmacy tect and passed the class i wasn't the smartest in the class but i passed with a B i struggled but my husband and people in the class helped me dont give up you can do it i graduated 6-25-2010 just learn some alligation on the math and you will do fine

41 months ago

terina65 in Wichita, Kansas said: hello, my name is charlene and i went through pharmacy tect and passed the class i wasn't the smartest in the class but i passed with a B i struggled but my husband and people in the class helped me dont give up you can do it i graduated 6-25-2010 just learn some alligation on the math and you will do fine

I'm sorry, I don't know what "alligation" is.
Hummmmm, anyway NO you don't have to be the smartest in the class. I hated math as a kid (my dad was a math teacher), and I did not learn easily by watching numbers on a black board or in a book. I did learn well by actually "doing" a math problem with visual aids and finally stuff clicked. Most women learn better using visual aids. If you have good teachers in those Pharmacy Tech training schools, they will know this and use visual aids along with the text.

You can't have classmates, husbands, etc. there on the job with you, so you have to find a way to solve algebraic problems yourself. Where I worked, us techs would make formulas on cards and keep them in a case or file next to compounding stations for ease of use. It saves a LOT of time! But, you still have to draw up your measurements correctly and look not once, but three or four times at those drug labels!!!! Picking the wrong drug or dilution can mean the death of someone's child, spouse or parent!! This cannot be stressed enough! You can put up all the cute signage in a pharmacy you want, but the technician HAS to get at least these FIVE things right: (1) Correct PATIENT, (2) Correct DRUG, (3) Correct DILUTION, (4) Correct DELIVERY, (5) Correct DOSE!!!

No you don't have to be the smartest in the class, but a GREAT Technician has great FOCUS, ATTENTION TO DETAIL, MANUAL DEXTERITY, PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS, IS A TEAM PLAYER!!!

GOOD LUCK!! :)

maria in Sioux City, Iowa

40 months ago

I was interested in taking the course for a pharmacy technician. Only problem is it states clearly states you cannot have a criminal background. I have a D.U.I. Should I even bother?

40 months ago

Maria in Sioux City,

Where did you get the info that you are referring to?

I looked around on the Iowa State Board of Pharmacy Website, but could not find anything in writing to support the idea that someone with a DUI cannot become a tech. BUT you would most likely need to disclose the fact when applying, as with any job application.
Having a DUI
isn't going to make it easier, but it may be that if this is your only offense and other than the one DUI, you have a clean background, you may be OK. But you need to contact the Pharmacy Tech school and the State Board to verify.

I don't drink myself, but I have worked with techs who had offenses and kept their jobs. But I am not nosey, so I never pried for info. I hope you only have the one issue and that your outcome is a good one.

maria in Sioux City, Iowa

40 months ago

TWHladyinLV in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Maria in Sioux City,

Where did you get the info that you are referring to?

I looked around on the Iowa State Board of Pharmacy Website, but could not find anything in writing to support the idea that someone with a DUI cannot become a tech. BUT you would most likely need to disclose the fact when applying, as with any job application.
Having a DUI
isn't going to make it easier, but it may be that if this is your only offense and other than the one DUI, you have a clean background, you may be OK. But you need to contact the Pharmacy Tech school and the State Board to verify.

I don't drink myself, but I have worked with techs who had offenses and kept their jobs. But I am not nosey, so I never pried for info. I hope you only have the one issue and that your outcome is a good one.

The instution I plan on getting the certificate through states with the description of the pharmacist technician course that any student cannot have a criminal background.

I have D.U.I & when I was charged for the D.U.I the judged also ruled a serious misdemeanor along with the D.U.I. It was a crap deal. I had never been in trouble & the judge sure socked it to me. Knowing I had already recieved a ruling already when I was still 17. -I was charged when I was 17 when the incident initially happened & they charged me 10 months later when I turned 18.

(I do however realize I am going to have disclose the information to whatever employer I do apply to. You can't hide/cover up your background check. & it's not the brightest idea to lie about it anyway my mother said honesty is the best policy which however hasn't helped me.)

I just don't want to waste money, plus going through all the classes, get my hopes up & when push comes to shove for crunch time my teenage poor behavior & consequences will count against me.

40 months ago

Yes it sounds like you got a bum deal. Just being a mis-demeanor instead of a felony works in your favor, however, if I were you I would consult with an attorney who deals with this type of thing to see if you can get this expunged from your record. Since the incident occurred when you were 17, they should have taken care of this at that time.
Most attorneys will do a short interview for 50 bucks, just to see if you have a case or not. It would be worth it to you to have it removed forever. Plus most any job you want to train for in the healthcare field will have these restrictions. They don't want felons working around patients or handling narcotics

This actually happened to a friend of mine who was an engineer and wanted a job that required top
Secret clearance.
It wasn't a DUI, but someone accused him of felony battery, (wrongly).
His attorney got it reduced to a misdemeanor disturbance of the peace when his accusor didnt show up in court.
A felony would have destroyed his career (he was in his 50's), and had never had any record.
Happily he got the job he wanted , (even with the misdemeanor ).

It most likely would be well worth it to have this done if you want to have a career and leave this as a bad memory. Let me know what happens to you!

JUST ME in Columbus, Ohio

39 months ago

brivera in Union City, California said: I only studied for six weeks. So it is possible for you too, but I am having difficulties getting registered through my state because of a misdemeanor past. So I'm hoping I haven't wasted all this time and money...?

DID THEY END UP LETTING U REGISTER W/ YOUR MISDEMEANOR THAT'S WHY IM HESITANT...

Christopher L. CPhT in Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

32 months ago

Hows it going? I am a CPhT with 3 years of Retail Pharmacy Experience. I am available to tutor you online for any exams you wish too for free. Anyone who needs any help in the field please visit the site and I will be more than happy to assist you. I am available for phone tutoring as well! Best of luck!

Christopher L. CPhT

Its through www.justanswer.com/lp-1eny-pharmacy-technician

reina in Saint Louis, Missouri

31 months ago

john in Eden Prairie, Minnesota said: honestly...Youll never be a pharmacy tech...but it never
hurts to apply, do not let that hold you up...you already
know what the answer is going to be anyway...

Even if pharmacy techs were in the shortest demand on this planet,
you would never be hired because of your record. I have been
to school, I have no record, and ive been looking for nearly 2
years for a pharmacy tech job.

Im sorry but just because you have been looking two years and havent found one does not mean that he/she may not get one depending on his/her record. WIll it be a little more challenging? yes but thats not a def NO!!! so i would say go for it

mysterymom58 in Baltimore, Maryland

30 months ago

reina in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Im sorry but just because you have been looking two years and havent found one does not mean that he/she may not get one depending on his/her record. WIll it be a little more challenging? yes but thats not a def NO!!! so i would say go for it

If you have been looking for 2 YEARS, something is NOT right. I came out of an on-line program, and got a job 6 weeks after my PTCB exam. Maybe you need to look at hospital AND retail or be willing to work for an agency til you get something more permanent. Best wishes to you

Julia.jenn4 in London, United Kingdom

29 months ago

If I hav a degree in pharmacy for 4 yrs can you please tell me can I work as a pharmacy technician without doing a pharmacy technician course please advise me at Julia.jenn4@hotmail.com
I'm confused!!

29 months ago

IF you are coming back to the states and are NOT a US citizen, you may not be able to get a job as a Pharmacy Tech. Most places are VERY particular as to whom may have access to narcotics, etc. They almost always do finger-printing, a full background check, etc.
If you have a 4 year degree in say, Pharmacology, I would suggest you take the test to enter Pharmacy school for Pharmacists.
Here Pharmacists take 5 years for undergraduate studies and Pharmacy school. They end up with a Pharm-D (doctorate) degree.
I wouldn't waste my time being a tech if you already have that much schooling.
IF you don't have the 4 year degree you speak of, you will need to either get into a tech school OR just study for the CPhT exam. It really depends on the state you reside in, as they all may not have the same requirements.
I'm not sure what you mean when you asked me if I was an "agent"? You can read my previous posts and see that I worked as a tech for 33 years, the last eight as a Senior Tech and buyer. I am now self employed.

Julia.jenn4 in London, United Kingdom

29 months ago

I have 4 yr bachelor in pharmacy .not pharmacology.
Can I work as a technician after doing 4 yr course in pharmacy not in us but anywhere
. I don't want to work as pharmacist but tech assistant
In quebec migration I'm confused about the area of training for pharmacists..pla help.

Eryk Bly in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

29 months ago

TWHladyinLV in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I'm sorry, I don't know what "alligation" is.
Hummmmm, anyway...

I'm surprised that a pharmacy tech as experienced as you doesn't know the definition (and usefullness) of "doing alligations"! Rather than trying to create an intelligible definition myself, here is the opening paragraph from the Wikipedia article on the subject:

"Alligation is an old and practical method of solving arithmetic problems related to mixtures of ingredients. There are two types of alligation: alligation medial, used to find the quantity of a mixture given the quantities of its ingredients, and alligation alternate, used to find the amount of each ingredient needed to make a mixture of a given quantity. Alligation medial is merely a matter of finding a weighted mean. Alligation alternate is more complicated and involves organizing the ingredients into high and low pairs which are then traded off."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Ha HA Ha! I thought they were only misspelling the word "allegation". Sorry for the misunderstanding! Such an observant technician you are!

CWK in Maineville, Ohio

23 months ago

[I'm not in Maineville, Ohio, but Cincinnati, Ohio.]

Hello,

I'm not sure how often anyone checks these forums anymore, especially since the last reply was from 5 months ago. I am currently graduating from my undergrad with a Bachelor's in Psychology. Unlike many of the people who posted on this forum I did not major in Pharmacy or Pharmacology.

I am currently trying to gain employment as a Pharmacy Technician though and I have applied to various places such as Walgreens and CVS, which seem to be "notorious" for their on-the-job training and push for certification.

What I'm curious to know is what steps I should take after making the initial application (submitting an application online/in-person for the PT position). I've sent in several applications now it seems and usually I get at least an automated response stating that my application was rejected for whatever reason, but CVS/Walgreens does not seem to do that. Has this occurred for anyone else? What did you do to get your position at your workplace?

Some legible responses would be appreciated.

Thank you,
CWK

Shareongroup in Vadodara, India

21 months ago

I believe it does for the most part because being good at math shows you like challenges and want to learn more. Then again I'm a perfectionist and want to be good at everything.

newsresults.in

Saiayoko in Kissimmee, Florida

20 months ago

CWK, I would very much like to talk to you about applying for a CVS Pharmacy Technician job. I see that the post is over 2 months old, but I thought I would give it a try anyway, since I know I can help you out. It would be better if you e-mailed me at saiaoyko@hotmail.com if you wanted to discuss anything further, but I'll try to post it all here.

From the time I clicked 'apply' on the CVS website, it was a day and a half that I shook my first managers hand with a job in tow. Make the cover letter personal. Always try to find out who will be looking at your application, and address it to them. It makes it look like you are doing more work than you actually are. Maybe even go in and say hi, look around the store, let them know that you applied and you are really excited to hear back from them. They like excitement. I know CVS does, anyway.

I have received these letters of rejection from CVS before--but they were only AFTER I had already been hired for the job. Which was confusing, and solved with a simple computer technician fixing it. Anyway, the point I'm trying to get to in this is that if you applied for a store, go into that store the following MONDAY in the MORNING. I don't know how it is anywhere but where I'm at, but Monday or Tuesday Mornings are the best. And you want the boss to be in the best mood. Just stop by, say hello and that you wanted to introduce yourself. Tell them that you had submitted an application, and you are even more excited now that you've come to see the store because (MAKE SOMETHING UP HERE AND MAKE IT SOUND CONVINCING). Don't lay it on too thick, but... yeah. I'm getting a bit off-topic, I think... But anyway, I got my job after a 2 minute phone conversation and a 15 minute interview. I'm now the highest paid person within my group of friends. So if you have any questions about getting a job at CVS, e-mail me at the above address. Just put something in the subject line that isn't weird so I know it's not junk mail...

sputnik in Spokane, Washington

15 months ago

angela in Everett, Washington said: I am currently enrolled in Penn Foster. I am having trouble learning the name brand and generic. Any tips on learning all of those.

Hi Angela,
I have noticed that when the brand name drug and the generic equivalency have a similar sounding name I remember them both better(be careful some sound the same but are different agents). That said I studied with PharmPhlash the flash cards which are about four hundred currently used drugs, I narrowed mine down to one hundred(fourty or so cards) based on the top 100 list I found in my book Pharmacy Technician by learning express.
BTW the test(PTCB) does use chemo drugs for some questions where you have to do process of deduction(elimination) to determine the correct drug so learning the non-chemo's helps with that. All in all I would say flash cards are imperative if you want to pass your exam.
Best of luck
GH

http://fastpharmacytech.com/ in Houston, Texas

14 months ago

fastpharmacytech.com/

dannigurl2f4u in Gilmer, Texas

14 months ago

I have a question I have been a tech for 6 yrs in the state of Louisiana. Moved to Texas and got arrested for being In the car with someone that had marijuana in the car. I went to jail but the charges against me where dropped a week after the arrest applied for my licenses in Texas been waiting a while.Do u think they will deny me even tho I have never been in any trouble at all.

14 months ago

dannigurl2f4u in Gilmer, Texas said: I have a question I have been a tech for 6 yrs in the state of Louisiana. Moved to Texas and got arrested for being In the car with someone that had marijuana in the car. I went to jail but the charges against me where dropped a week after the arrest applied for my licenses in Texas been waiting a while.Do u think they will deny me even tho I have never been in any trouble at all.

Hi Danni

Did you put the incident on your application?

Don't just take it for granted that the court in Texas will
Take it off your record. I would CALL THEM and make sure it's taken off!
Then call the Board of Pharmacy in Texas and tell them the charges were dropped.
It's your life and it takes so little to get it screwed up.
AND in the future STAY AWAY from ANYONE involved with selling or abusing drugs. Down the road
This stuff can come back to bite you even when it's not something you did!

I had a friend that this thing happened to. Years later she was married to a guy who had to have security clearance for his job.
He lost out on a better future for them both because of this little thing.

Good luck to you

dannigurl2f4u

14 months ago

TWHladyinLV in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Hi Danni

Did you put the incident on your application?

Don't just take it for granted that the court in Texas will
Take it off your record. I would CALL THEM and make sure it's taken off!
Then call the Board of Pharmacy in Texas and tell them the charges were dropped.
It's your life and it takes so little to get it screwed up.
AND in the future STAY AWAY from ANYONE involved with selling or abusing drugs. Down the road
This stuff can come back to bite you even when it's not something you did!

I had a friend that this thing happened to. Years later she was married to a guy who had to have security clearance for his job.
He lost out on a better future for them both because of this little thing.

Good luck to you

Thank u so much he I called to ck and they sent me letters saying my charges are dropped it very frustrating bc I love my job and wld hate to lose my licenses behind me being with someone that doesn't have a career to think about. I called the board as well and they said they had to request the police report. I pray everything works out god knows!

14 months ago

You should be ok since you have letters to prove that the charges were dropped.

Good luck to you and your career!

Kateocpht in Flint, Michigan

8 months ago

chad in Saginaw, Michigan said: I would like to be a hospital Pharm Tech. But I would like to get some training so I can be prepared and ready to work as a hospital PT; and be trained and ready to take the PT exam and to get certified, but does anybody know of a good online institute that can train you and is not some stupid scam or rip off? Thanks.

Don't waste money with on line programs. They will not hire you at any hospital until you have at least a year retail experience. You will need to be formally trained for hospital pharmacy, learning all the new regulations and proper techniques. Michigan has a law pending- soon to pass that techs will also need to be licensed in Mich, as well as have formal accredited training. Contact Ross Medical- They have a good program

Angela in Mendenhall, Mississippi

8 months ago

Jackie said: Will chains ( CVS ,Walgreen) train you when you apply or do you have to be certified first?

Career Step has an awesome pharmacy tech program. One can finish as little as 3-months. Visit them at referral.careerstep.com/ref10001.

8 months ago

Kateocpht in Flint, Michigan said: Don't waste money with on line programs. They will not hire you at any hospital until you have at least a year retail experience. You will need to be formally trained for hospital pharmacy, learning all the new regulations and proper techniques. Michigan has a law pending- soon to pass that techs will also need to be licensed in Mich, as well as have formal. 00accredited training. Contact Ross Medical-0Theyhave a good program

Career Step has a wonderful online program in Pharm Tech. You can finish in as little as 3-months or possibly less as it is self-pace. Visit them at referral.careerstep.com/ref10001

8 months ago

ednadav19120 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: i am interested in working in the pharmacy technician feild to strengthen my skills.[/QUOTEs
Career Step online training in pharmacy tech is top notch. You can finish in as little as 3-months or
sooner as it is self-pace. I am a graduate of Career Step in medical transcription and I have been working in this field at home for 20 years. You can obtain additional information at referral.careerstep.com/ref10001

Preston Davis in Richmond, Virginia

8 months ago

RxTechExam.com is an online, self-paced, inexpensive way to learn what it takes to be Nationally Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT).

The course was developed and designed by Preston Davis, a Certified Pharmacy Technician with 14 years experience in the field, and 4 years as Pharmacy Instructor and Trainer. The course content was produced in collaboration with a Pharmacist, Yinka Ojutalayo. Dr. Ojutalayo has worked in clinical and retail setting as a Pharmacist for 5 years, and has a total of 12 years of pharmacy experience

The course content is delivered in a modern way similar to blackboard. We update the course as necessary to stay current with changing regulations and generic availability. The total price of the course ($174.99 - $224.99) is far less than you'll spend at a local school. There are no educational requirements for the PTCB Exam beyond high school, so please don't waste your time and money going to For-Profit & Career Colleges. Don't go into debt becoming a Pharmacy Tech, goto RxTechExam.com and enroll today!

www.RxTechExam.com

ILPOTO in Providence, Rhode Island

7 months ago

Laela in Sheridan, California said: The new PTCB cert exam on the computer isn't that bad. I took the exam in November and you don't have to be super computer proficient. There's a tutorial before the exam begins that tells you every you need to know about how to take the exam, but it's basically read the question and click on the circle next to the right answer. As a tech names of drugs are important so you should remember at least the major ones, and what the general effect is. It sounds like you're on the right track, keep it up and good luck on your test!

Hello, my name is Rhonda. I would like know how to prepare for the PTCB test and what what material is worth studying for the exam. Thanks!

ptcbeasy usa in San francsico, California

16 days ago

Hello If you are struggling passing the PTCB exam or scared need that extra assurance, you are not alone! I have been there! I'm happy to help! I noticed many books out there make it harder than it needs to be! You don't need a tutor! You don't need to spend 10k for a school or 2k for one of those online schools. All you need is the right tools to pass the exam! I spent countless hours of hard sweat work to find the right tools that made it easy to understand. I passed the PTCB exam with flying colors on the first attempt! Email me ptcbeasy@gmail.com

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.