How do I become a pharmacy technician?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Caliyah Tran in Dallas, Texas

28 months ago

Hi guys, I want to get a job as a pharmacy technician but I am confused on how to achieve that. I've heard from several people that you need a license and from others that you don't. So, which one is it? I want to apply at a drugstore like CVS or Walgreens. I don't have any schooling or background in medicine either. Do I need to go to school for it? Thanks for any help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MarcelinoB in San Diego

28 months ago

Each state has different requirements. I can see that you are living in Dallas? If so read this:

"Pharmacy Technician Registration in Texas
- To work in a pharmacy as a pharmacy technician or pharmacy technician trainee, individuals must be registered with the Texas State Board of Pharmacy (TSBP).
- After TSBP notifies an individual of registration, the individual may work in a pharmacy. All pharmacy technicians/trainees are required to complete the initial training when beginning employment in a pharmacy.
- The rules are very specific as to the areas that must be covered in on-the-job training programs. On-the-job training is the only training required for pharmacy technicians/trainees.
- Currently, there is not a requirement for a pharmacy technician/trainee to attend a formal education program. However, TSBP is aware that many pharmacy technicians are choosing to complete formal training programs in local community colleges or technical schools. The Board recognizes the importance and value of completing a formal education program and encourages pharmacy technicians/trainees to consider these programs."
Source: pharmacytechnicianschoolsusa.com

In this page you'll find links for the Texas State Board of Pharmacy and the Texas Pharmacy Association.
Hope you'll find my answer helpful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.