externship

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 87 of 87)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Alysha in Las Vegas, Nevada

60 months ago

I am still an unemployed tech after completing school,being certified, and completing my externship in March. I am STILL UNEMPLOYED. I have applied EVERYWHERE, every retail and private pharmacy in my area. Hospitals all require experience, most want 2 years, some 1 year. It's really depressing I guess it does have to do with the economy and all but who knows when it will get better and I wish I was able to have the practice, now its been so long since I got out of school, I don't want that to hurt me in the future. So now I have resorted to looking for any job I can get, which still has been very tough. I agree that if you know someone who can get you into a hospital or retail pharmacy, then you should be fine, otherwise it's pretty tough right now. If it weren't for my boyfriend, I'd be homeless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ptcb_tutor@yahoo.com in Danville, California

60 months ago

SDguy in San Diego, California said: Kim. Thanks for the insight. I'll keep what you said in mind. My bachelor's is in teaching (history) and the market for that kind of job is crap. That's why I was considering another field. Well, I hope things work out for you as well. Good luck.

Hi, I know this post is old, but I wanted to let you know, that if you have a BA (in anything) you should consider going to Pharmacy School to be a Pharmacist. That's where the money is! lol
You will have to complete all the pre-requisites in science and math, but honestly that is what I would do.
I am in the process of completing my BA and then i will apply to Pharmacy School. I have been a tech for 23 years.
If you are interested in Pharmacy School, you will need to have some experience in pharmacy, even as a cashier is good.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ptcb_tutor@yahoo.com in Danville, California

60 months ago

Alysha in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I am still an unemployed tech after completing school,being certified, and completing my externship in March. I am STILL UNEMPLOYED. I have applied EVERYWHERE, every retail and private pharmacy in my area. Hospitals all require experience, most want 2 years, some 1 year. It's really depressing I guess it does have to do with the economy and all but who knows when it will get better and I wish I was able to have the practice, now its been so long since I got out of school, I don't want that to hurt me in the future. So now I have resorted to looking for any job I can get, which still has been very tough. I agree that if you know someone who can get you into a hospital or retail pharmacy, then you should be fine, otherwise it's pretty tough right now. If it weren't for my boyfriend, I'd be homeless.

Hi Alysha, Have you tried volunteering? I use to interview, hire and train techs and placed externs in the district I worked in.
I am very saddened to see that retail stores are "using" externs as "free help".
My then pharmacy supervisor and I worked very hard to erase that way of thinking from the RPhs and store managers. For us it was an opportunity to interview the extern for a long period of time, if they had what we were looking for they would get hired.
So, have hope, I know this is hard when you see the ugly reality out there. But really, keep trying if that is what you want to do.
Try going to many places in person and dressed professionally asking for an opportunity to volunteer. This will keep your knowledge fresh, it will give you exposure and you will get expereince. I know the big retail chains do not accept volunteers, but hospitals and small mom n pop stores do.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

whereiskatima in Alameda, California

59 months ago

I just finished an online course and from the time I registered until the time I finished, the company was bought out. During this whole process, the original company did not manage to keep up the professional relationships with pharmacies so I might do an externship. I am now having to shop myself around to do an externship.
The sad part is most pharmacies are overwhelmed as it is due to being understaffed so it is hard to take on some one for the 40 hours of externship so the person can be supervised. Be wary of online programs - they appear to be scams and change the 'contractural' agreement with students on a whim.

Meredith in New York, New York

58 months ago

Susan, where did you go to school in Manhattan? The only school offering an externship I've found is in Brooklyn. A retail externship is better than none, though you're right, a hospital externship would be good.

anony in Oxnard, California

58 months ago

Jay in West Covina, California said: I'm about done with my externship at a local CVS pharmacy; it wasn't as bad as I thought. I learned a lot and I'm glad I did it. I'm fortunate that I got along with the staff, it was a friendly atmosphere and teamwork is very important for the process to flow smoothly, from script drop off up to the med getting pick up.

Just wondering, did you find out what they pay at the cvs over there? Did they offer you a job? How does it work aftr the externship? I am gonna try to do mine in a hospital. I also live in California.

SUSAN in Brooklyn, New York

58 months ago

Meredith in New York, New York said: Susan, where did you go to school in Manhattan? The only school offering an externship I've found is in Brooklyn. A retail externship is better than none, though you're right, a hospital externship would be good.

I went to sanford brown in manhatten near union square on 16th st. they offer u 5 weeks retail externship and hopefully 5 weeks hospital if they can get it for us. if not hospital then we will have 10 weeks of externship at retail. its an ok school, but it really caters to the medical assistant program. i am surprised that u cannot find another school that offers externships for pharm tech, i assumed they all did. that is why i came here cuz i knew that they found u externships and they also have a career services that assist u with finding a job.

Meredith in New York, New York

58 months ago

SUSAN in Brooklyn, New York said: I went to sanford brown in manhatten near union square on 16th st. they offer u 5 weeks retail externship and hopefully 5 weeks hospital if they can get it for us. if not hospital then we will have 10 weeks of externship at retail. its an ok school, but it really caters to the medical assistant program. i am surprised that u cannot find another school that offers externships for pharm tech, i assumed they all did. that is why i came here cuz i knew that they found u externships and they also have a career services that assist u with finding a job.

Thanks for the information. New York Technical College Continuing Education in Brooklyn has an externship, but LaGuardia Community College Continuing Education, in Queens, doesn't. Borough of Manhattan Community College ended the course for Pharmacy Technician. Those are the schools I investigated.

susan in Brooklyn, New York

58 months ago

Meredith in New York, New York said: Thanks for the information. New York Technical College Continuing Education in Brooklyn has an externship, but LaGuardia Community College Continuing Education, in Queens, doesn't. Borough of Manhattan Community College ended the course for Pharmacy Technician. Those are the schools I investigated.

to tell u the truth i havent heard of these schools. the allen school and i believe asa also has the course. good luck! im going on externship in 2 weeks and i am so freaked out lol

Anoymy in Jacksonville Beach, Florida

57 months ago

Jogs 4201 in New Oxford, Pennsylvania said: Well I am finished my externship a few days ago, loved the job....but the caddyness between the office women there (all CPhT's) and the RpH'S---was RIDICULOUS. All participated in the OFFICE GOSSIP and was unprofessional. As soon as one person leaves the room....they talk about that person, to no end. Is is like that everywhere? How disappointing....sadly it was mostly older women, with males and females as the pharmacists just as caddy as the others.

HAhha! I know what you mean. It is happening to me too. I walk in and hear all of this cattyness too. Then when I leave they get quiet and I know they are going to talk about me too. I think the job is stressful. So the gossip is a way to vent their frustrations. Trust Me I see it too and think "what a bunch of babies". Even the Pharmacists gossip too. Like teenagers! They even talk about customers.

Wylie Coyote in Borrego Springs, California

56 months ago

Pharmacy Technician Full-time (Borrego Springs)
Borrego Pharmacy is seeking a Full-time Pharmacy Technician; to learn more about our foundation please visit our web-site at www.borregomedical.org/ Bilingual English/Spanish

This is a great opportunity if you are willing to relocate.

paul in Antelope, California

55 months ago

Jay in West Covina, California said: I'm about done with my externship at a local CVS pharmacy; it wasn't as bad as I thought. I learned a lot and I'm glad I did it. I'm fortunate that I got along with the staff, it was a friendly atmosphere and teamwork is very important for the process to flow smoothly, from script drop off up to the med getting pick up.

Hi how did you get into their externship program? I have been having such a difficult time looking for externshi opportunites. I'm a recent graduate of a pharmacy tech program at a college, however the externship is solely optional and has to be sought after by the students.

55 months ago

Rose in Carnegie, Pennsylvania said: I went to Everest when it was Duff's Business Institute. At the time my husband was very ill and has since passed on.
I missed some days due to this. I still need to take the Certification Test and am worried if i'll pass it. I just want to know if it is really hard. As far as doing my externship I had to find my own too. The externship Coodinator first put me at Presby there I was told to be there at 8am, ok. Then they said they told me 6am and fired me. Then she put me with CVS in the bussiest one in downtown Pittsburgh with a mean pharmacist that expected me to be as quick as he was. I quit there because of all of the abuse of him. I then found my own at a Medfast Pharmacy where they were great, but no job ever came from it as they were not hireing either. It's been two years since then and I still can't find a job. No one is hireing. I'm wondering if it's worth the cost to take the test or just move on to something else? I was told mthat this was a growing field, I see it going no where! I too have kids to feed and am begining to think I was lied to just so the school could get my money which I still have in student loans.Any idea's ?

Hi how did you get into their externship program? I have been having such a difficult time looking for externshi opportunites. I'm a recent graduate of a pharmacy tech program at a college, however the externship is solely optional and has to be sought after by the students.

Anon in Oxnard, California

55 months ago

I'm super excited too. I start my externship at the hospital in a week. Can't wait! Also been getting a lot of hours in with the iv expert. :)

55 months ago

Hi, I was hoping if you would be kind enough to share some tips on how you got externship at the local hospital. I am about to chew my arm off since I'm having so much difficulty lately in getting someone to accept me into their externship program. I am a recent graduate 2 weeks ago from a pharm tech program in college. Can you email me at audiobooksg @ yahoo.com to give me some tips such as did you send them a letter or did you go in and apply for employment? Any tips would help. I'm probably just doing it wrong as opposed to your method.

Natalie Berkowitz in Alameda, California

55 months ago

Finding an externship is challenging. Some things to keep in mind: (1) at least in CA, there is a ratio of pharmacist(s) to technicians, even if you are doing an externship. Be flexible in willing to work evenings, weekends and holidays when the pharmacy may be short staffed. (2) the pharmacist and other technicians are 'donating' time to your education. Identify to them you understand this and after externship, write a nice thank you note. (3) look for where jobs are posted in your area and send a great cover letter with your resume and state you are looking for an externship. (4) Try the VA - they need great people.
Be persistent. Not all schools have made the effort or taken time to establish a relationship in the community so you are kind of on your own. Be polite and highlight what you do know/experiences you have had which will make you a good fit for externship. I ultimately got a great one with Walgreens. The head of pharmacy was amazing and the staff was phenomenal. It was a well run machine.

55 months ago

Paul - One of the issues is the liability insurance. I suggest trying a VA or state facility. Internships are difficult to come by - great ones even more challenging. Establish a relationship with the hospitals in your area via a good cover letter and resume.
Good luck.

55 months ago

Jogs 4201 in New Oxford, Pennsylvania said: Well I am finished my externship a few days ago, loved the job....but the caddyness between the office women there (all CPhT's) and the RpH'S---was RIDICULOUS. All participated in the OFFICE GOSSIP and was unprofessional. As soon as one person leaves the room....they talk about that person, to no end. Is is like that everywhere? How disappointing....sadly it was mostly older women, with males and females as the pharmacists just as caddy as the others.

Gossip always is never productive and should not be practiced or tolerated by the Pharmacist. Caddyness should be left behind at home. It's okay to have a healthy and good conversation, but caddyness just shows their immaturity and unprofessionalism. I hope that won't be the case where I would work in the future. Now it would be ok if their topic was about me (my gorgeous looks and masculine body to drool for), they can fight all they want but I ain't giving my precious to them.

DidImakethechoice in Patterson, California

54 months ago

anony in Oxnard, California said: Just wondering, did you find out what they pay at the cvs over there? Did they offer you a job? How does it work aftr the externship? I am gonna try to do mine in a hospital. I also live in California.

I'm from California and currently doing my externship at Walgreens. I have other classmates who are externing at CVS and they were told that the PT starts off at $12.00. Walgreens is the HIGHEST paying RETAIL for Pharmacy Technicians.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah MRxI in Willowbrook, Illinois

54 months ago

Here is a blog I wrote on how to find externship sites. I coordinate the externships for healthcare training programs across the country.

blog.mkedu.org/bid/57031/Mastering-the-Pharmacy-Technician-Externship-Search/Default.aspx?&source=Blog_Email_[Mastering%20the%20Pharma]

Sarah MRxI in Willowbrook, Illinois

54 months ago

Sarah MRxI in Willowbrook, Illinois said: Here is a blog I wrote on how to find externship sites. I coordinate the externships for healthcare training programs across the country.

blog.mkedu.org/bid/57031/Mastering-the-Pharmacy-Technician-Externship-Search/Default.aspx?&source=Blog_Email_ [Mastering%20the%20Pharma]

You are going to have to copy and paste it.

miles17 in Chula Vista, California

53 months ago

Hi everyone can somebody help me with my resume as pharmacy technician. I just finish my externship and now Im having a hard time to make one. here is my your help is greatly appreciated! thank you in advance!

53 months ago

I suggest going to Wyzant and finding a tutor. Ask if the person can help you with English, grammar and writing a resume (basing this on how/what was written in your post). Be careful - you don't know who is looking at the posts and you want to always put your best self forward. Make sure to spell check and grammar check.

Scott Vallejo in La Crescenta, California

52 months ago

Ashley in Brooklyn, New York said: how long is the pharmacy technician program?

In UEI its 8 months .. 7 months class 1 month externship thats what im doing :)

Unony in Moreno Valley, California

52 months ago

Good luck with school. I finished my externship in march. Was offered a very good job at the site which is a hospital, good pay. But can't start till my license comes. I'm getting nervous they won't hold the job. They even called me yesterday to check in. It's been 7 weeks since my license was mailed out. Not showing up online yet either. Anyone get their license recently? How long did it take?

Emilia Rutledge in Tucson, Arizona

52 months ago

A few years ago i was hired on for a retail pharmacy as a trainee, somehow renewed my trainee license and never became certified before it expired this year. I am currently a student in a pharmacy tech. program and I just started my externship 2 weeeks ago. in april i failed the PTCB exam and now have to wait 60 days before retaking. My problem/question is, Is there any way to get a trainee license just for my externship or 60 days? my past trainee license has expired and since I renewed it a second time i cannot get another trainee.

M in Alexandria, Virginia

51 months ago

Jay in La Puente, California said: I was put in the "drop off" section of the pharmacy so 90% of the time I was entering Rx info in the system. Hardest part was trying to be able to read the physicians' handwriting. I was told they usually get the same doctors prescribing the same drugs so it gets easier after a while. I hardly rang the register as interns weren't allowed to touch any cash. I get nervous when a long line forms and I'm having trouble reading the script and trying to convert strength, etc. but I know I'd eventually get over that as I get more experience.

I received my license a few months ago and slowly preparing to take the certification test, hopefully by the end of the year as well.

Most people think getting PTCB certification is the way to escape away from retail pharmacies like CVS, but they should have to have some experience to work in hospital. And some organizations have problem; you need to be a relative of somebody to get hired ;it is really crazy....

lisa in Lagrange, Georgia

43 months ago

I am taking a pharmacy tech. course @ West GA Technical College. Where can I find the cost of registration for exernship? I also need to print this info. Thx

Sandy in Fremont, California

41 months ago

NettaJ in Visalia, California said: Does anyone know what California requirements are for Pharmacy Technician externship hours?

180 hours

RxTeacher in Visalia, California

40 months ago

Sandy in Fremont, California said: 180 hours

Actually California pharmacy law states that pharmacy technician externships "shall be for a period of no more than 120 hours". That is the maximum a technician can do. There is no minimum amount of hours. That is set by the individual education institution.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

monika in Mesa, Arizona

38 months ago

Jay in La Puente, California said: While I was doing my externship at CVS , the part-time employees were getting their hours cut back to a maximum of 20 hours a week. Since the employees are part of a union, the management couldn't lower their hours any less. In other words, CVS pharmacies (or at least where I did the externship) are not hiring .

I did finish the externship months ago.

i am looking for pharmacy class with externship,do u have any idea where should i take this caurse in community college or private college.

yougha in Austin, Texas

37 months ago

Its a game,in this recession it's as you need to feed those instructors by the hope of the students to get a certicate and therefore a job which is just a dream,so when you apply for loans for your classes means you are giving full profit to the school and instructors ,its like you students need to stay longer unemployed,we need somebody to change the equation...........

KJ in Mesa, Arizona

29 months ago

monika in Mesa, Arizona said: i am looking for pharmacy class with externship,do u have any idea where should i take this caurse in community college or private college.

I went to and completed a pharmacy tech certificate program at Central Arizona College in Apache Junction, AZ. I, too, live in Mesa, so it was a quick commute. It took about 2 years. They do offer financial aid. Also, after all your classes are complete, you complete a practicum. "Practicum" is being used interchangably here because that is what the school called it. It is an externship. The school finds externship locations and works with you to find the best suitable place to complete the 180 hours needed to complete program and training and to graduate.

Nibha Patel in Canton, Michigan

21 months ago

hello i am Nibha Patel and in live in canton, MI. i have completed my pharmacy technician certification. i have earned certificate. i am looking for externship, someone please me out. how do i apply for externship.

Thank you,
nibha patel

yld in Watsonville, California

16 months ago

I just took my final this week for Pharm Tech and I am now looking for a place to do my externship hours. I was wondering if anyone knows of places aside from the typical CVS Walgreen's rite aid etc..? I'd love to do them in an institutional setting but I'm not sure if they are willing to take me in. My school advisor will help look as well but I don't want to solely depend on them finding me a site.

sassy p in Bell, California

16 months ago

Hi you can try small pharmacy. Or the work source center. The can get u aanother externship with pay for 3-6 months

Disgruntled PhT in Tucson, Arizona

9 months ago

dcomer164 said: I did five courses via an online program through a local community college and not only did they not affiliate with any sort of externship for pharmacy techs,they didn't even offer any friendly advice. I e-mailed my teacher inquiring about the next steps I should take and I never got a response. There was no job placement assistance or referral. Nothing. I also passed the national PTCBE and received my certificate as a board certified pharmacy technician (CPHT). It doesn't seem to matter. You can't get a job unless you already have a year or more experience. So how do you get experienced if no one gives you a chance? I believe that someone working in retail with cash register experience and no pharmacy education at all would be hired first. That's the impression I'm getting. Entry level jobs don't seem to exist in pharmacy tech, and most job openings are for pharmacists.

I have the same problem. They expect you to be on your own, even though you still haven't grown flight feathers. I think pharmacy technician education programs need to be worked on in terms of experience-related work. It will better for the programs if the people who make them to look after the quality of the pharmacy tech education, rather than the quantity of people graduating from the program.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.