have anyone taken the pharmacy technician class from the ROP??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 83 of 83)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

paree in San Jose, California

61 months ago

can any one tell me ROP school where i can get my pharmacy course for free i live in san jose ca

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

AUHS in Long Beach, California

60 months ago

Hello

I went to American University of Health Science in Long Beach. While I was there, the school was fairly new of 7 years. I love that school, i got placed in an externship and got hired right away! It took only 8 months for the program and the best thing about that school is that i never take the RXT exam in California because you automatic get your license after you graduate. That school is connected with ROP and the staffs are very knowledgeable in their field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Emiloo in California

56 months ago

lily in San Diego, California said: if anyone has taken the pharmacy technician class from the ROP or Grossmont Adult School pls let me know if the program is any good. thx.

I took the Pharmacy Technician program at an ROP near my area, and I loved it!

The teacher I had was awesome and she made sure we understood what she was teaching.

When I went there, which was last January, it was only $155 for the program and another $150 for two textbooks. I had to take 3 prereqs before I could attend, but they don't do that anymore. The school lost a big amount of funding, so the program is now a bit over $3200. But, that's a better deal than all those commercial private trade schools.

Before I knew of ROP, I had seen the costs for places like American Career College. Paying in the $20,000 range wasn't for me. Ultimately, I wouldn't have pursued Pharmacy Technician if it weren't for ROP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cristina Mercado in vista, California

55 months ago

susan in Sun City, California said: I prefer ROP students to the private expensive schools. Just my experience as a hospital pharmacist. Could just be the area I am in. I once worked for an management group that owned a school. The stuff they told prospective students...not lies but not truth

Hi susan, how are you? I took an ROP class at Vista Adult Shool.
I already got my license in August 2009, but I haven't been able to find a job as a pharmacy tech. Now i'm a volunteer at Tri city hospital in Oceanside but I just carry the medecine to the medication rooms in the hospital. Where can I apply to work as pharmacy technician without having experience?
Thanks susan.

REdaprilten in Menifee, California

55 months ago

Susan maybe you can try the retail pharmacies, Walgreens, Rite Aid. Let me know if you will, and if I find out anything else I will let you know. Let's help each other.

Susan in Menifee, California

55 months ago

Job market is tough and jobs are few. Local hospital had 1 per diem and it went to a good student who has their license. Several other students were qualified but license hadn't come through. All I can suggest is keep checking HR of local hospitals for jobs.

Cristina Mercado in vista, California

55 months ago

Hi Susan. Thank you for your advise. I'm going to keep looking in my computer. My teacher told me to apply at the community clinic here in vista, but they are not hiring right now.
okay. see you!

Diana in Victorville, California

55 months ago

Brenda said: First off paying 10,000 is stupid to pay for the same class you can get for free through ROP. I only except externships from ROP. I think ROP is the best choice.

Hey Brenda why is it you only take ROP externs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ikoga in San Diego, California

54 months ago

Hi

I heard that the ROP classes are normally filled within an hour. Any tricks to get into the classes instead of waiting for the next term or the term next.....?

Thank you

Helpful in Victorville, California

54 months ago

ikoga in San Diego, California said: Hi

I heard that the ROP classes are normally filled within an hour. Any tricks to get into the classes instead of waiting for the next term or the term next.....?

Thank you

you should try talking to the teacher because the a lot of ppl tend to drop the class in the first three days

D in Victorville, California

53 months ago

lily in San Diego, California said: if anyone has taken the pharmacy technician class from the ROP or Grossmont Adult School pls let me know if the program is any good. thx.

Yes I am currently in a ROP program and my only issue is finding externship. Can anyone point me in the direction of who accepts externs in San Bernardino county around Victorville, San Bernardino, and Fontana?

D in Victorville, California

53 months ago

Diana in Victorville, California said: Hey Brenda why is it you only take ROP externs?

This comment is for Brenda: Are you currently taking externships?

kelly in Brooklyn, New York

53 months ago

Hi,does any one know or have any suggestions for becoming nationally certified as a pharmacy technician, if you have experience but not certified. I felt as though it was unnecessary to take a course when I already have the books and experience.Any suggestions would be helpful.

sandra in Hesperia, California

53 months ago

if signups are at 8am, plan on spending the night to ensure enrollment-thats the only way to get into ROP

sandy in El Cajon, California

48 months ago

i tried looking for the "NPTC" book but i could not find it in any book store. please help and please provide the cost and the store you purchased.

A. Alvarez in Highland, California

45 months ago

My husband went to Concord Career Institute for about 8 months, including internship, lucky it was paid by someone else. At the time (16 yrs ago) there was a demand for this type of work. Not so much anymore, however since they can pay less for a graduate student vs someone with experience now some of the employers are looking in this direction.
When my daughter took an ROP course (10yrs ago)while being a clerk/messenger in a Pharmacy Hospital (she had an understanding of what she was dealing with)she found it helpful. The intership/externship part is how YOU find the place, some schools will send you to places but it is really up to YOU to make an impression,I suggest you get to know these places & ask them what it takes to do the intership in their pharmacies. Some may even suggest by taking this class they may let you do the intership there & then hire you. Now I took the same ROP course (about 2yrs ago), & although I had been around pharmacy setting and the venacular, the course was intense. Not to say you can't do it but if you don't like to study or have a crash course in medications then this isn't for you. Depending, like always, on the teacher the students do shine and come out ahead. If I were you, I would see if the teacher has time to see you and get to know him/her ahead of time. I had the same teacher my daughter did and she was fantastic. The course at that time was free but you did have to pay for the books (2 workbooks)and paper/pen/index cards, your lab coat,finger printing and background check. Now I hear the same place I went to was going to charge around 300 dollars (I don't know if it includes the said items). It still is less expensive, however you must remember you are going to get less training than in these other places. Good Luck.

A. Alvarez in Highland, California

45 months ago

My husband went to Concord Career Institute for about 8 months, including internship, lucky it was paid by someone else. At the time (16 yrs ago) there was a demand for this type of work. Not so much anymore, however since they can pay less for a graduate student vs someone with experience now some of the employers are looking in this direction.
When my daughter took an ROP course (10yrs ago)while being a clerk/messenger in a Pharmacy Hospital (she had an understanding of what she was dealing with)she found it helpful. The intership/externship part is how YOU find the place, some schools will send you to places but it is really up to YOU to make an impression,I suggest you get to know these places & ask them what it takes to do the intership in their pharmacies. Some may even suggest by taking this class they may let you do the intership there & then hire you. Now I took the same ROP course (about 2yrs ago), & although I had been around pharmacy setting and the venacular, the course was intense. Not to say you can't do it but if you don't like to study or have a crash course in medications then this isn't for you. Depending, like always, on the teacher the students do shine and come out ahead. If I were you, I would see if the teacher has time to see you and get to know him/her ahead of time. I had the same teacher my daughter did and she was fantastic. The course at that time was free but you did have to pay for the books (2 workbooks)and paper/pen/index cards, your lab coat,finger printing and background check. Now I hear the same place I went to was going to charge around 300 dollars (I don't know if it includes the said items). It still is less expensive, however you must remember you are going to get less training than in these other places. Good Luck.

DavidMoore in La Center, Washington

45 months ago

I would also recommend that you take a look at www.pharmacytechniciantrainingnow.com/

They have a listing of tons of courses around the country and their staff helped me quite a bit.

BAP in Lubbock, Texas

45 months ago

If you can sign up and take the exam without paying for classes then do it. Texas requires that a pharmacy technician be PTCB certified (which means you pay a fee and take the exam…no educational hours required) then apply with the state (another fee for a background check). I did all this before the fingerprinting implementation so I’m not sure how that works…sorry.

I’ve been a certified/registered pharmacy technician for over 7 years and surprisingly enough can perform my job duties just fine considering taking zero pharmacy classes. On the job training taught me everything I needed to know to work in a retail pharmacy as well as a hospital inpatient pharmacy.

sandiegosunriser in San Diego, California

45 months ago

I looked into this...

You first have to complete the Healthcare Essentials class, which is very difficult to get into. On the day of registration, I heard that 1,000 people showed up to register. (This probably included other medical classes as well...) It's the same story at all of the other adult class campuses throughout San Diego county. You just might have to get there very, very early and wait in line (like people do on Black Friday after Thanksgiving).

Classes are held at 9368 Oakbourne Rd, Santee, CA 92071. Web site: adultschool.guhsd.net/index.php/general-locations/health-occupations-center

Years ago, a friend of mine did go through the Pharmacy Tech course and he liked it, although I don't think he ever got a job in that field.

just-royalty in San Bernardino, California

41 months ago

jean in Victorville, California said: Is ROP accredited?

hello jean have you taken any r.o.p classes in victorville yet?

just-royalty in San Bernardino, California

41 months ago

D in Victorville, California said: Yes I am currently in a ROP program and my only issue is finding externship. Can anyone point me in the direction of who accepts externs in San Bernardino county around Victorville, San Bernardino, and Fontana?

hello d where are you taking your classes at? i, in victorville as well

xoxo in San Diego, California

41 months ago

sandiegosunriser in San Diego, California said: I looked into this...

You first have to complete the Healthcare Essentials class, which is very difficult to get into. On the day of registration, I heard that 1,000 people showed up to register. (This probably included other medical classes as well...) It's the same story at all of the other adult class campuses throughout San Diego county. You just might have to get there very, very early and wait in line (like people do on Black Friday after Thanksgiving).

Classes are held at 9368 Oakbourne Rd, Santee, CA 92071. Web site: adultschool.guhsd.net/index.php/general-locations/health-occupations-center

Years ago, a friend of mine did go through the Pharmacy Tech course and he liked it, although I don't think he ever got a job in that field.

Yes, I "DO" waiting like black Friday on the over night before the Registration day to get a spot for class on 2009 spring class of ROP, and I got Phlebotomist and MA and Pharmacy tech certified on Jan this year. But I still suck here. ROP deal with class lecture but no internship only phlebotomist have, cz no budget.

TE

41 months ago

QUOTE "Cristina Mercado in vista, California"Hi susan, how are you? I took an ROP class at Vista Adult Shool.
I already got my license in August 2009, but I haven't been able to find a job as a pharmacy tech. "

Christine , what about the Medical Administrative course at Vista Adult school. You have to finish Healthecare essentials, Medical Front Office and Medical records BUT would I have the problem of not being to find a job?

The Medical Assistants take these same courses plus the MA courses.

I don't understand why people camp overnight and the classes are so hard to get a seat in for over 6 years, if people can't get jobs after finishing the medical programs.

Austin in Pasadena, California

40 months ago

CPhT, RXT Trainer in El Cajon, California said: yes. But contrary to what most people say, mainline hospitals tend to hire RXTs who have diplomas or certificates from Private Vocational Training Schools bec. they have more accountability from the State Board of Education.

Not true... I started at 15hr retail, moved to longterm care and make $18.65 an hour.... all my from CA State Board Of Pharmacy License... which DOES NOT STATE ANY school you attended, only states YOUR CURRENT PHARMACY TECHNICIAN LICENSE...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

juan molina in Highland, California

36 months ago

I've Been a Pharm Tech for at least 15 years and was let go last year this October. I've only been interviewed once. When you're just out of school they may hire you but as time goes on there is so much competition with all the ROPs and Schools that have Opened up for these Courses. My Daughter took an ROP course and she is still working as a Pharmacy Tech for around 8 years, but Whose to say what tomorrow is going to offer. I also became a MA a few years back and while looking for a job for this is when I was hired for a WC Physician's Dispensing Unit. Coincidentally after four years they contracted out and I was let go just so they could put in their own people for less money. If you have your Nationals it will give you a heads up on others since that's where the future might be going and taking your Nationals right after the ROP course is better so you won't forget what you have been taught.

36 months ago

Actually I took the extended 8 month course and my daughter and wife took the ROP class...Even though the ending is getting you a degree/license/certificate there is more to the extended course like the why and why not of the medications and the variety of lessons regarding in and out patient Pharmacy Techs. Since the majority of the Pharmacies expect you to be running when you hit the floor and don't have time to train you as they should, if you have the money take the longer course if not ROP is the way to go. Either way the minute you finish the course go take the Nationals.

36 months ago

There is a ROP Course in Colton, CA I believe at Mylar Continuation School It's somewhere by ARMC Hospital, it was less but now as I've heard it the price has gone up to $400.00, What it entails now I do not know. Hope this helps.

No Name in Fountain Valley, California

34 months ago

I went to a different program named Vocational Nursing for ROP and I didn't like it. I don't know if ROP is or everyone. My complaint is that it is not connected with financial aid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bayman in San Diego, California

32 months ago

I want to go to pharmacy tech school in San Diego area. What is ROP stands for? How can I study for free s u commented before. How long it is going to take me to finish this program? Is it good idea if i study from online?

charm in San Diego, California

17 months ago

hello there,
I am new in this country and starting from the beginning. I am not working and don’t have money to pay for my school but I heard ROP is the great place to take classes. I want to take Pharmacy Tec class would you mind to share your experience about that class please! English is my second language so do you think I will be able to take that class? I don’t know anybody here and I don’t have a good resources about these things. If you know any good resources or advice please share with me.
Thank you

Armenta's Pharm Techs in Moreno Valley, California

6 months ago

I teach the ROP pharm techs for riverside coutny. Our program is a comprehensive 300 hour theory section and 200 hour externship at various pharmacy settings in our county. The State Board has the same minimun requirement for approved Pharm Tech Schools. I agree, dont sepend 10K plus for the same training. I hope this helps.

Armenta's Pharm Techs in Moreno Valley, California

6 months ago

ROP is the same if not better training and externship is required in mine.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.